Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Maine Black Bears 2010 - 2011

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Re: Maine Black Bears 2010 - 2011

    Originally posted by KnowItAll View Post
    it is bizzarre that the "tie up the opposing center so the winger can skate away with the puck" that worked BEFORE Maine went to BC, and clearly Jerry watched game films... was STILL being used after BC wingers tied up the Maine wing and the other BC wing kept skating away with the puck

    I mean, if it ain't working when do you fix it?
    You know Shawn would have anticipated anything York could have come up with, and countered it effectively.

    Today... I just don't see that happening. And it seems that way every season.

    Comment


    • Re: Maine Black Bears 2010 - 2011

      Originally posted by whatever View Post
      You know Shawn would have anticipated anything York could have come up with, and countered it effectively.

      Today... I just don't see that happening. And it seems that way every season.
      honestly the worst of it is that tonight, Maine went back to the "tie up the opposing center and have the winger pick up the puck" and it worked. Now they will never get away from it when it does not work.

      Great, use it against PC, but not against coaches who can counter it.

      Maine has not put more than 20 shots on net from the point all season. They got one through tonight, and at least 4 rebounds off shin pads, into the neutral zone (the tieing goal was the rebound)... I saw it coming the whole game and so did Tim Army.
      Maine had exactly one PP the entire night where the players passed to the forehand at least half the time, the rest of the time the passes were to the skates and to the back hand. this should not happen against a team that is not pressuring the forwards down low.

      What is wrong that Tim's teams cannot perform the fundamentals? FLynn still has no idea who is a righty and who is a lefty.

      The D cannot pass tape to tape up ice on a consistent basis and nobody can get the puck to the net from the point.
      Nyquist and Cornell tried skating up the middle and coughed it up out front. That should NEVER happen.

      Pryor's stride would be fixed by Grant in a day. (just watch, you'll see) Nyquist continually loses the puck off of his stick, not just while making fancy plays, but all the time. He should not play 50% of the minutes in the ends of close games, unless the team benefits from it, and it doesn't he keeps coughing the puck up and turning it over because he is gassed.

      Maine needs a coach who sees these things and can fix them.
      Not an alum, but a donor and a non-apologist who goes to support the team.

      Comment


      • Re: Maine Black Bears 2010 - 2011

        Nyquist for Hobey!........lol.

        Comment


        • Re: Maine Black Bears 2010 - 2011

          Originally posted by sandiegoblkbr View Post
          Nyquist for Hobey!........lol.
          whitehead for penrose
          seriously, I betcha there's something wrong with his back.
          he whiffs too often and loses the puck for no reason... either his stick is 3 inches too short, or he has a twinge in his lower back (just a guess)

          Comment


          • Re: Maine Black Bears 2010 - 2011

            Originally posted by KnowItAll View Post
            honestly the worst of it is that tonight, Maine went back to the "tie up the opposing center and have the winger pick up the puck" and it worked. Now they will never get away from it when it does not work.

            Great, use it against PC, but not against coaches who can counter it.

            Maine has not put more than 20 shots on net from the point all season. They got one through tonight, and at least 4 rebounds off shin pads, into the neutral zone (the tieing goal was the rebound)... I saw it coming the whole game and so did Tim Army.
            Maine had exactly one PP the entire night where the players passed to the forehand at least half the time, the rest of the time the passes were to the skates and to the back hand. this should not happen against a team that is not pressuring the forwards down low.

            What is wrong that Tim's teams cannot perform the fundamentals? FLynn still has no idea who is a righty and who is a lefty.

            The D cannot pass tape to tape up ice on a consistent basis and nobody can get the puck to the net from the point.
            Nyquist and Cornell tried skating up the middle and coughed it up out front. That should NEVER happen.

            Pryor's stride would be fixed by Grant in a day. (just watch, you'll see) Nyquist continually loses the puck off of his stick, not just while making fancy plays, but all the time. He should not play 50% of the minutes in the ends of close games, unless the team benefits from it, and it doesn't he keeps coughing the puck up and turning it over because he is gassed.

            Maine needs a coach who sees these things and can fix them.
            Not an alum, but a donor and a non-apologist who goes to support the team.
            I was there,and I pretty much agree with your entire post,which is quite a rarity.

            But,as far as the blocked shots go,didn't people used to complain that Tim never let the point-guys shoot,for fear of the rebound leading to an odd-man..?Tonight,he let them shoot,and that is why Maine had to settle for a tie.

            Still,Maine played a pretty GD good game.They were the better team,but got no bounces at all.The SOG's were deceptive;Maine applied a lot more pressure on goal than did PC.

            And Sirman was solid,aside from the half-hour or so he spent covering an imaginary puck that lead to the 2nd PC goal.He controlled his rebounds far better than did Beaudry(sp?),who left a lot of fatties in the slot...In the final analysis,Sirman was maybe .03 seconds short of getting the "win".

            It was a fun game to watch.We got ourselves a team here,finally.(PC is good,too,and they play hard.It's worth the drive down here if you live anywhere reasonably close.There are plenty of great seats available;I would guess that 25% of tonight's crowd of 700 or so were Maine fans.)

            Comment


            • Re: Maine Black Bears 2010 - 2011

              Originally posted by sandiegoblkbr View Post
              Nyquist for Hobey!........lol.
              Nyquist for a senior year in college!

              Comment


              • Re: Maine Black Bears 2010 - 2011

                Originally posted by KnowItAll View Post
                What is wrong that Tim's teams cannot perform the fundamentals? FLynn still has no idea who is a righty and who is a lefty.

                The D cannot pass tape to tape up ice on a consistent basis and nobody can get the puck to the net from the point.
                Nyquist and Cornell tried skating up the middle and coughed it up out front. That should NEVER happen.

                Pryor's stride would be fixed by Grant in a day. (just watch, you'll see) Nyquist continually loses the puck off of his stick, not just while making fancy plays, but all the time. He should not play 50% of the minutes in the ends of close games, unless the team benefits from it, and it doesn't he keeps coughing the puck up and turning it over because he is gassed.

                Maine needs a coach who sees these things and can fix them.
                Not an alum, but a donor and a non-apologist who goes to support the team.
                So mark the date! I have responded to some of KIA's posts with some cheap shots, the problem is when you talk to Mr. A he's not a bad guy! So from this point forward with my limited hockey knowledge I will refrain from getting personal.

                It is clear that you have a very good handle on many of the technical aspects, what is not clear is if it is so obvious to other coaches (since you and the venerable Tim Army) see things, how is it that Tim, or let's say Bob Corkum who played over 700 games in the NHL don't? I guess that is the crux of my problems with your observations. Yes I see things in a more positive manner and have been an apologist, but I refuse to believe that a coach that has been around the game this long and his staff are so incompetent, but yet managed to get very good to good teams to the Frozen Four and National Championship game.

                Is it possible that some of these items are addressed, but the reason they are playing at Maine and not the NHL is that many of the players still have aspects of their game that need work? Abbott is not now a great player because of Tim, nor was he a mediocre player in spite of Tim, he has developed and now has confidence through hard work and as a result more opportunity. Flynn, Nyquist, and House need to get the confidence and spark they had going again. Having a second line that can put the puck in the net has been crucial especially with the power play in freefall!

                Last night was disappointing as it is the second time Maine has taken a lead into the final 5 minutes of a game on the road and wound up with a tie, and to give up a shortie to boot!

                So my New Years resolution is too not say mean things about KIA even if my hockey knowledge or lack thereof is being shredded. Afterall I only played the game for 4 years when I lived in Canada and have only been watching Maine since I arrived in Orono in 1980 and the Tortorella brothers were playing for Maine at the time.

                Merry Christmas KIA, I'll be donning my Maine Santa hat soon!
                Last edited by BobF; 12-04-2010, 09:23 AM.

                Comment


                • Re: Maine Black Bears 2010 - 2011

                  Originally posted by whatever View Post
                  You know Shawn would have anticipated anything York could have come up with, and countered it effectively.
                  Like Jack did.

                  Comment


                  • Re: Maine Black Bears 2010 - 2011

                    Any thoughts as to who may be in goal tonight? Sirman settled down last night and played quite well. In my opinion there doesn't appear to be a huge disparity in either Sirman or Sullivan. Haven't really seen much of Ouellette.

                    Comment


                    • Re: Maine Black Bears 2010 - 2011

                      Nice win for Maine, great Shutout for Martin, wish it was 4 points but 3 on the road is ok. Need a PP to beat UNH, looks like we might have a goalie
                      I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

                      Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

                      Comment


                      • Re: Maine Black Bears 2010 - 2011

                        Originally posted by walrus View Post
                        Nice win for Maine, great Shutout for Martin, wish it was 4 points but 3 on the road is ok. Need a PP to beat UNH, looks like we might have a goalie
                        Make that two goalies Still wish Martin had gotten the start a week ago against BC, but he may have still been nursing his injury. Not any more....sounds like this kid might be a keeper. Obviously anxious to get a start and he made the best of it.

                        Good to see Nyquist get untracked finally and Flynn find the back of the net. Overall, a good weekend for da Bearz to get back on track.
                        Last edited by acs64; 12-04-2010, 09:35 PM.
                        I believe in equality of effort. In life, in hockey in everything.

                        Comment


                        • Re: Maine Black Bears 2010 - 2011

                          He wasn't nursing an injury.

                          Comment


                          • Re: Maine Black Bears 2010 - 2011

                            The PP performance shows how much Dimmen and O'Neill are missed. The PP really does need to improve soon.

                            Comment


                            • Re: Maine Black Bears 2010 - 2011

                              Originally posted by Runsub5 View Post
                              The PP performance shows how much Dimmen and O'Neill are missed. The PP really does need to improve soon.
                              Yep....on the flip side though, some other guys picking up some valuable playing time without a whole lot of damage to the record. When they get back it'll take some time for them to get back in the groove.
                              I believe in equality of effort. In life, in hockey in everything.

                              Comment


                              • Re: Maine Black Bears 2010 - 2011

                                Originally posted by walrus View Post
                                Nice win for Maine, great Shutout for Martin, wish it was 4 points but 3 on the road is ok. Need a PP to beat UNH, looks like we might have a goalie
                                Hip hip......hooray!!!!

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X