• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gscott13
    replied
    Re: Maine Black Bears 2010 - 2011

Originally posted by KnowItAll View Post
    (and in my opinion, he was the "reason" that Maine lost to Minnesota in the Piotrowski game)
    to this day it ****es me off that yahtzee got the call over morrisson in the nc game... morrisson deserved and earned that game

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Originally posted by Howitz-ah View Post
    Road games carry more weight than home in the PWR, so you've got a home series against an in conference non-TUC. The stakes couldnt have been lower to give someone else a mere look.
    Road games carry the exact same weight as home games in the PWR.

Games against non-TUC teams have to be won. They aren't throwaway games. If the opponent is pitiful the win will get dropped from your RPI altogether - if you lose or tie to a non-TUC it can kill your RPI. If they somehow manage to become a TUC (hello Union) it can keep you from making the tournament. Not to mention it is two points in Hockey East...those points can be pretty valuable come March.

Leave a comment:

• lkenney
    replied

Someone talked about the softy Sirman gave up. I guess that one did cost him if you're giving starts simply based on performance.

Look at how the numbers stack up when you take that softy away...

Sirman
    2-0-1 83.3%
    .911 Save Pct
    2.39 GAA (Facing Over 27 shots/game)

Sullivan
    4-1-1 75%
    .901 Save pct
    2.24 (Facing less than 23 shots/game)

This race is obviously Sullivans based on ice performance alone...
    I like how calm and how square Sully plays. Very quiet. His numbers also include his first ever start in college hockey. His save percentage will grow. I was surprised he started the second game against Northeastern, I thought that would have been a good time to get Sirman in, but I'm not going to complain as long as the results are there.
    Last edited by lkenney; 11-17-2010, 01:26 PM.

Leave a comment:

• KnowItAll
    replied

Originally posted by sandiegoblkbr View Post
    You had to remind us!..........
    yeah but he did not remind us where Lake State was after they did all those things and suddenly stopped

Leave a comment:

• KnowItAll
    replied

Originally posted by walrus View Post
    Who was Alfies backup?, I can't remember. I do remember Alfie certainly didn't set the world on fire during the regular season, but he was pretty good when it mattered. Sully has been good, no doubt about it.
    Alfie's backup was 3-0-1 with a 1.73 gaa
    and a future all Hockey east goalie his senior year... also he played a lot for the Oilers and for the Senators in the NHL
    (and in my opinion, he was the "reason" that Maine lost to Minnesota in the Piotrowski game)

(but i didn't remember either, I had to look it up)
    Last edited by KnowItAll; 11-17-2010, 01:19 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Howitz-ah
    replied

Originally posted by lkenney View Post
    Every situation is different. As I said, it didn't happen with Alfie either. Sirman had the inside track to start the season, and Sullivan has taken it with his play. For now.
    Someone talked about the softy Sirman gave up. I guess that one did cost him if you're giving starts simply based on performance.

Look at how the numbers stack up when you take that softy away...

Sirman
    2-0-1 83.3%
    .911 Save Pct
    2.39 GAA (Facing Over 27 shots/game)

Sullivan
    4-1-1 75%
    .901 Save pct
    2.24 (Facing less than 23 shots/game)

This race is obviously Sullivans based on ice performance alone...

Leave a comment:

• walrus
    replied

Who was Alfies backup?, I can't remember. I do remember Alfie certainly didn't set the world on fire during the regular season, but he was pretty good when it mattered. Sully has been good, no doubt about it.

Leave a comment:

• lkenney
    replied

Did that happen with Darling or Bishop?
    Every situation is different. As I said, it didn't happen with Alfie either. Sirman had the inside track to start the season, and Sullivan has taken it with his play. For now.

Leave a comment:

• Howitz-ah
    replied

Exactly, just like when we had established rotations, a good game friday didn't mean keep playing until you stink up the joint one night.

How is turning to someone else despite sullivan's good starts any more of a risk then if we keep playing him every game? Wouldn't you say the kid's gonna be due for a rough one eventually? can you predict the night? You can look **** fine in practice all week then give up 6 on Friday. Similarly, I've watched warmups and thought....man... he doesn't look like he's feelin it...and then he puts up an egg.

It's all well and good, though, because as far as most here are concerned, Sully is off the hook. Should he play a bad game this weekend, we'll all just pat him on the back for everything he's done before and maybe play someone else. Should Sirman come in and have a mediocre game...everyone can think: Are you happy now? As if to imply his mediocre game 1 night transfers to all nights, and he obviously would have lost those games sullivan won.

Leave a comment:

• walrus
    replied

Originally posted by lkenney View Post
    I don't see it like that. If Sullivan has a bad game, don't you think we'll see a different tender the next game?

Leave a comment:

• lkenney
    replied

Love the outside of the box stats. Excellent work.

I do realize that the majority of teams exclusively use 1 goalie, but Tim expected a competition/rotation, and he has seemingly declared a 'no 2nd place relevant' winner less than a month into the season.

Not to mention, a 2 headed goalie has found just about all of Maine's major successes.
    I don't see it like that. If Sullivan has a bad game, don't you think we'll see a different tender the next game?

Leave a comment:

• Howitz-ah
    replied

Originally posted by gscott13 View Post
    I think people are panicking a bit too much over nothing. Maine is no different than any other program out there, leaning on one goalie to do the bulk of the lifting with the others picking up time here and there...
    Love the outside of the box stats. Excellent work.

I do realize that the majority of teams exclusively use 1 goalie, but Tim expected a competition/rotation, and he has seemingly declared a 'no 2nd place relevant' winner less than a month into the season.

Not to mention, a 2 headed goalie has found just about all of Maine's major successes.

Leave a comment:

• sandiegoblkbr
    replied

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
    The team has been to four Frozen Fours and is a skate blade and a bad official away from having two more championships.
    You had to remind us!..........

Leave a comment:

• lkenney
    replied

Every situation is different. Was Alfie in a rotation 98-99?

Leave a comment:

• Howitz-ah
    replied

Originally posted by BobF View Post
    What I know is you "nutcases" have been crying for years and now you have a winning team and you are still crying.!
    Indeed...because all good teams win games and say:

"Top notch work boys! There is nothing we could possibly do differently so lets get blissfully complacent and make no adjustments in the future!! Let's make sure our opponents know exactly what to prepare for in practice, and make sure we keep no one on their toes. Additionally lets keep as few players fresh for game-action as we can!"

As far as your previous response, I think I already hit on those points..

Readers Digest version...
    OK, but Sullivan isn't exactly going on a Tim Thomas run of shutouts here....nor a Ben Bishop run of 1-goal/game 'shutouts'

He's been fantastic, but ..... Is the assumption that if Sullivan gave up 2 goals per game the others would have given up 5? Who's to say one of the other guys doesn't come into one of those nights a pitch a shutout? Where does the conversation go if that happens? ... I'm just saying that I haven't seen enough of this race to call it already.

Ride Mr. Sullivan for as far as 2 goals/game takes him? What if we do, he takes us to January, and Mr. Sullivan blows his knee? Now, in the heat of the season, we have to rely on guys that haven't seen action in 3 months.

END POINT....

People keep saying 'ride the hot hand'...

well, again, no disrespect to sully, but our HOT HAND is 9th in conference in save percentage. THis is quite obviously the best we're going to do this year, so lets not risk anything?

Every single handed goalie we've used in the past 5 or 6 years got complacent with his job at some point, or went into slumps, and when he slumped we really had little choice but to keep playing him because the guy behind him wasn't game ready which partially explains some our previous mid or late season faulters. How are you people secure without any form of goaltending insurance?

Regardless of what Hockey East Superfan says....NU will not be a TUC. Road games carry more weight than home in the PWR, so you've got a home series against an in conference non-TUC. The stakes couldnt have been lower to give someone else a mere look.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X