• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bearsFan93
    replied
    Re: Maine Black Bears 2010 - 2011

http://www.pbn.com/Forbes-Rhode-Isla...usiness-,53084
    Based on Rhode Island, though only article I could find mentioning that Maine is THE WORST state in the U.S. for business and careers.

Leave a comment:

• bearsFan93
    replied

Originally posted by Pucknut View Post
    Thought you might want to know that a new Tim Hortons opened in Lincoln this past week.
    36 were closed throughout new england recently

Leave a comment:

• TripleE
    replied

Originally posted by Ma#1ne Hky View Post
    Hey lets get's some hockey talk going again....Merrimack beat BC last night 5-3....crazy Hockey East as usual. I have a feeling Maine better be ready for next's weekend trip to Providence,hopefully some time off will heal the sting of the BC weekend.....time to start another winning streak.
    Definitely! And yes, they better be ready for Providence. Beaudry is just another link in our (Hockey East) chain of goalies, and I would put our group up against any other conference out there and feel awfully confident!

I think this was perfect timing for a weekend off. Let some of the minor scrapes and bruises heal up; related- this makes for 1 or 2 games less missing Dimmen and O'Neill.

Mentally, you get some time to reflect and catch up with yourselves. You know you can score, you know you can beat good teams, and this is extra time to take something from the B.C. series and grow.

Leave a comment:

• sandiegoblkbr
    replied

Originally posted by walrus View Post
    Yes, it will be empty the other 50 weeks of the year because thats how Bob wants it
    You are definitely right about that! Bob's ego knows no bounds!

Leave a comment:

• walrus
    replied

Originally posted by sandiegoblkbr View Post
    Is that the only event that will be held at a new arena?
    Yes, it will be empty the other 50 weeks of the year because thats how Bob wants it

Leave a comment:

• sandiegoblkbr
    replied

I don't see how a 60 million building can be sustained by 10 days of BBall in febuary. Especially if they play Cimbolek ball
    Is that the only event that will be held at a new arena?

Leave a comment:

• sandiegoblkbr
    replied

Originally posted by MEbear View Post
    The city of Bangor might want to remain the hub (whatever that means) of the area, the local politicians also might want it to, but I'm not sure the taxpayers living there care much one way or the other about it. Why should they, when most of them have plenty to worry about just paying for their mortgage and heating bill and taxes, and if Bangor's not the hub of eastern Maine, then what city is waiting in the wings to take over as the "hub?" The current building is old and outdated and should probably be torn down pretty soon anyway, but I think that life in eastern Maine will go on just fine without any large auditorium, at least from the perspective of most people who live here. I'd love to see a new auditorium, and if the mortgage payments were to be shared by the whole surrounding area instead of just Bangor taxpayers, or if there were a sports franchise that wanted to play here so bad they'd put up the money to build it, maybe it could get done, but I just don't see the citizens of Bangor signing up for this big of a mortgage payment during these economic times.
    You don't know what a "hub" is???

Bangor taxpayers better be thankful that they are the hub for a large region. It's what has lowered your taxes!.......where do you think your taxes would be without drawing people to the city for shopping, gambling, the fair, basketball tournaments and concerts????

I love how you speak for all Bangor and Eastern Maine residents..........

The mortgage payment is being paid by Hollywood Slots......why can't you get that through your head???

Leave a comment:

• acs64
    replied

I don't see how a 60 million building can be sustained by 10 days of BBall in febuary. Especially if they play Cimbolek ball
    Oh Phercrissakes Wally, alwayz such a stick in the mud you are.

Leave a comment:

• walrus
    replied

Leave a comment:

• acs64
    replied

Originally posted by MEbear View Post
    The city of Bangor might want to remain the hub (whatever that means) of the area, the local politicians also might want it to, but I'm not sure the taxpayers living there care much one way or the other about it. Why should they, when most of them have plenty to worry about just paying for their mortgage and heating bill and taxes, and if Bangor's not the hub of eastern Maine, then what city is waiting in the wings to take over as the "hub?" The current building is old and outdated and should probably be torn down pretty soon anyway, but I think that life in eastern Maine will go on just fine without any large auditorium, at least from the perspective of most people who live here. I'd love to see a new auditorium, and if the mortgage payments were to be shared by the whole surrounding area instead of just Bangor taxpayers, or if there were a sports franchise that wanted to play here so bad they'd put up the money to build it, maybe it could get done, but I just don't see the citizens of Bangor signing up for this big of a mortgage payment during these economic times.
    Actually, now that I give it some thought, the best of all answers I think is to make it a statewide thing. Since we have the north vs the south and neither wanting to help the other, and on top of that so many outlying areas and regions that would benefit from fine new auditoriums, why not do this. Put it on a state referendum for the entire state to build 2 new facilities...one in Bangor for bounceyball and concerts and civic type things, the other in Portland for bounceyball, hockey, concerts , yahddah yahdday. Scale them up appropiately by population and other factors and give the entire state what it needs and really wants. So the state and its taxpayers puts up 200 million dollars for upgrades to the Bangor Aud and CCCC at the same time. Bangor gets bouncey ball in a nice faiclity, Portland gets SanDiegos long awaited NCAA hawkey regionals. Win-Win! Phk the roads and bridges.
    Last edited by acs64; 11-27-2010, 02:14 PM.

Leave a comment:

• MEbear
    replied

Originally posted by acs64 View Post
    If you build it, they will come !! You see, therein lies the problem. Who wants 'em

Oh yeah, it will get built. It has to. Its the ole pay me now or pay me later. As much as the love of bounceyball has a long history in that area, its kind of ludicrous that that old goliath hasnt been replaced yet. If the city of Bangor wants to maintain its 'position' asthe hub of that area, they have no choice. Make it immediately available to hockey, though, is an optional choice....I can see why they will make it hockey capable instead of hockey ready with money being tight.

Leave a comment:

• acs64
    replied

If you build it, they will come !! You see, therein lies the problem. Who wants 'em

Oh yeah, it will get built. It has to. Its the ole pay me now or pay me later. As much as the love of bounceyball has a long history in that area, its kind of ludicrous that that old goliath hasnt been replaced yet. If the city of Bangor wants to maintain its 'position' asthe hub of that area, they have no choice. Make it immediately available to hockey, though, is an optional choice....I can see why they will make it hockey capable instead of hockey ready with money being tight.

Leave a comment:

• walrus
    replied

) are employed by Husson, Bangor Savings, Hollywood Slots, Cianbro, Bangor Daily News, Bank of America, Camden National Bank, Ramada Inn, Sargent Corporation, Webber Energy (among many others)......they all support this project.
    All of them will make money off it(except for Webber, they 'll be lucky to be in business) so of course they support it.

Leave a comment:

• KnowItAll
    replied

Dennehy certainly knows how to motivate
    and recruit

Leave a comment:

• KnowItAll
    replied

It's much bigger than the Bangor arena issue.........the whole way that the State of Maine has been run (into the ground) for the last 30 years has gotten under my skin. ... People in the state need to get a clue......hopefully, LePage can kick some *ss!
    And Like you, I would love to be able to move back IF the people and politicians could allow anything positive to happen, but NIMBY

so the choice is live in Bangor and earn $35,000-50,000 or stay in SD and earn $225,000-$400,000 doing the SAME WORK (that is the pay comparison for MY line of work) (and I hate to even write this, because the people in Maine I tell this to cannot even comprehend it)
    hey sandi, how come you chose California? (and I DO remember you saying that you were moving back a while ago)

Here's a trivia question.
    What was Fairchild's reason for opening up shop in South Portland?
    The answer will make you proud to be a Mainer.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X