Clear All

• Re: Atlantic Hockey Pick'em 2010-2011

mar7967 aren't these last weeks totals?
    I believe they are ...

Comment

Originally posted by CornwallAce View Post
      Try not losing to AIC next year then
      AIC game didn't matter, RIT won the league by 3. But the 12-0 outburst against AIC the next night did help AF lead the league in goals scored.
      And (for the first time this year), I'm not complaining about the crappy, horribly biased playoff format. But RMU and Niagara should be. Loudly.
      2010-2011 Atlantic Hockey Pick 'Em Champion!
      2013 Atlantic Hockey Postseason Pick 'Em Champion!
      Air Force Falcons
      2007 Atlantic Hockey Champions, NCAA West Regional
      2008 Atlantic Hockey Champions, NCAA Northeast Regional
      2009 Atlantic Hockey Champions, NCAA East Regional Final
      2011 Atlantic Hockey Champions, NCAA East Regional
      2012 Atlantic Hockey Champions, NCAA Northeast Regional

Comment

Originally posted by AFHockeyFan View Post
        AIC game didn't matter, RIT won the league by 3. But the 12-0 outburst against AIC the next night did help AF lead the league in goals scored.
        And (for the first time this year), I'm not complaining about the crappy, horribly biased playoff format. But RMU and Niagara should be. Loudly.
        Niagara maybe has a beef, but not Robert Morris. They finished in 5th and would be playing under pretty much any scenario that gave 4 teams byes in the first round. If they keep this format, there will be years where a west pod team will get the advantage, too.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jim View Post
          Niagara maybe has a beef, but not Robert Morris. They finished in 5th and would be playing under pretty much any scenario that gave 4 teams byes in the first round. If they keep this format, there will be years where a west pod team will get the advantage, too.
          Yeah, but RMU should be playing the #12 seed at home, not the #7 seed. And I seriously doubt the east pod will ever be that strong.
          Air Force Falcons

Comment

Originally posted by tarp View Post
            mar7967 aren't these last weeks totals?
            I believe they are ...
            Yes they are. good catch. I was away all weekend and tried to remotely update and post, and it obviously didn't turn out too well. I will update and correct tomorrow. Thanks
            Atlantic Hockey Composite schedule: www.tinyurl.com/AHAcomp2
            College Hockey America (Women) Composite Schedule: www.tinyurl.com/CHAWcomp

RIT Tigers
            Men's Atlantic Hockey Champions 2010 2015 2016 2024
            Men's Frozen Four 2010
            Women's College Hockey America Champions 2014 2015
            Women's DIII National Champions 2012

Comment

Correct final standings: AFHockeyFan led the week with 10 points to take the 1st place position!

1 AFHockeyFan.....149
              2 MICZamboni......148
              3 RITProf.............139
              4 RITShockSquad...138
              5 cplinford...........136
              6 mdumont..........135
              7 RITMRC Tiger.....133
              7 komey1............133
              7 XCTiger.............133
              10 BC/HE..............131
              10 Stompey5.........131
              12 thunder97.........129
              12 Loki.................129
              14 Snively65.........128
              14 mar7967..........128
              16 eagle70............127
              17 burgie12...........123
              17 gounhwildcats...123
              19 RIT Fan.............122
              20 Bing.................121
              20 21st Century Schizoid Man....121
              22 TWEET..............119
              23 tarp..................118
              24 5hole ...............100
              25 Rochester...........69
              26 sunylong............57
              27 Spydey629 .........49
              28 RMUColonials......46
              29 d4rksabre...........36
              30 slewwwwwfoot!....32
              31 CARDS_rule_the_Burgh...30
              32 blazer777...........28
              33 RIT Winters........24
              34 Mania................18
              35 HurstLakerHockey....12
              36 UNHHurstFan......11
              37 1Boston3.............7
              38 Humanoid...........6
              38 hockeyfan1216....6
              40 hockeyenthusiast..4
              Atlantic Hockey Composite schedule: www.tinyurl.com/AHAcomp2
              College Hockey America (Women) Composite Schedule: www.tinyurl.com/CHAWcomp

RIT Tigers
              Men's Atlantic Hockey Champions 2010 2015 2016 2024
              Men's Frozen Four 2010
              Women's College Hockey America Champions 2014 2015
              Women's DIII National Champions 2012

Comment

Yeah, but RMU should be playing the #12 seed at home, not the #7 seed. And I seriously doubt the east pod will ever be that strong.
                That's an interesting question, but Sacred Heart is having a down season after going to the AHA finals last year, so I suspect they'll be better. Army is also struggling a bit this year after having a few good teams in years past. UCONN has 3 freshmen and a sophomore among its top 5 scorers. Probably the biggest difference is that this year at least the weakest teams were in the east. If I were designing hte league, I'd have either gone with a true seeding system or a total East-West divisional split. I understand the pod system, but I don't love it. It is niether fish nor fowl.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim View Post
                  this year at least the weakest teams were in the east.
                  Not just this year. In addition, if you look at attendance (as indicative of level of support from fans and therefore schools) you have:
                  32 Air Force 16-43,463
                  33 RIT 15-39,143
                  43 Army 16-28,471
                  48 Robert Morris 15-20,785
                  50 Niagara 17-19,271
                  52 Connecticut 12-10,879
                  53 Holy Cross 15-12,162
                  54 Canisius 15-10,702
                  55 Mercyhurst 18-11,813
                  56 Sacred Heart 15-5,759
                  57 Bentley 14-4,189
                  58 American International 13-3,212

which is again heavily skewed towards the west (4 of the top 5 and all 6 in the top 9) The bottom 3 and 4 of the bottom 5 are the schools with off-campus facilities. Until that changes, I don't think the eastern schools will consistently finish above those in the west.
                  Air Force Falcons

Comment

On attendance I think you're right, as far as on ice play I'm not so sure. Sacred Heart has been pretty consistently solid, sometimes very good despite their lack of facilities and fan support. I think the University, though sees hockey as a potential success story. Bentley has been a middle of the pack team that can be dangerous. Just ask some of the Hockey East teams they've upset in recent years. I agree that facilities are a huge issue. I also think, though that for at least a couple of those western teams, hockey is their sport, if you know what I mean. RIT for example, is D-3 in everything but hockey, isn't it? Mercyhurst, too? UCONN and Holy Cross on the other hand, play hockey but it is second fiddle to basketball...well in UCONN's case 3rd fiddle to mens basketball and womens baksetball. I don't really know about Air Force, but the service academies are different animals altogether anyway. Except on occassion, AIC is always going to struggle. I don't think that is true of Sacred Heart, based on their history.

Comment

For the two service academies that play hockey, it has always been one of their "marquee" sports. At Air Force, it is probably second only to football in terms of both interest and success. The hockey team regularly outdraws the basketball team. I would say the same is probably true at Army.
                      Sacred Heart, like Mercyhurst and RIT, has had some success when it could tap into the Ontario pipeline, but has struggled to draw locally or regionally. They've had good teams in the past, but have never broken through with a NCAA bid. Holy Cross is undoubtedly the class of the east, and has a nice facility to go along with good support from a well-rounded athletic department. It doesn't hurt that they're almost within commuting distance of hockey-crazy Boston, either. Bentley could tap into that someday, but not until they stop playing in that Peewee rink. UConn is just waiting for their Big-16/BTHC invite to really start developing their program.
                      I guess, theoretically, the east could someday challenge the west, but unless they upgrade their facilities and shed their cost-containment model (which they have been loathe to do) I doubt they ever will.
                      Last edited by AFHockeyFan; 03-02-2011, 04:51 PM.
                      Air Force Falcons

Comment

I certainly agree that Sacred Heart will be back sooner rather than later. I think Holy Cross is a program that could make some noise in the next couple years.
                        2006-07 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
                        2008-09 Atlantic Hockey Co-Champions!
                        2009-10 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
                        2010 Frozen Four participant
                        2010-11 Atlantic Hockey Champions!

Member of the infamous Corner Crew

Comment

For the two service academies that play hockey, it has always been one of their "marquee" sports. At Air Force, it is probably second only to football in terms of both interest and success. The hockey team regularly outdraws the basketball team. I would say the same is probably true at Army.
                          Sacred Heart, like Mercyhurst and RIT, has had some success when it could tap into the Ontario pipeline, but has struggled to draw locally or regionally. They've had good teams in the past, but have never broken through with a NCAA bid. Holy Cross is undoubtedly the class of the east, and has a nice facility to go along with good support from a well-rounded athletic department. It doesn't hurt that they're almost within commuting distance of hockey-crazy Boston, either. Bentley could tap into that someday, but not until they stop playing in that Peewee rink. UConn is just waiting for their Big-16/BTHC invite to really start developing their program.
                          I guess, theoretically, the east could someday challenge the west, but unless they upgrade their facilities and shed their cost-containment model (which they have been loathe to do) I doubt they ever will.
                          I've said for a long time that the odd thing is that the cost containment model really sort of works. The real low cost programs that thought they could play D-1 hockey and not really make any effort have more or less gone by the wayside and been replaced by better programs. I think Bentley would have had a facility but for the econmic crash. I know they were looking at it. But in the early days of the MAAC, I think only UCONN, Mercyhurst and Holy Cross had their own ice. Now those without arenas are the minority by a long shot. But we've been thoruhg this before to a degree. In the early days of the league, Mercyhurst and Quinnipiac were really much better than everyone else. they had better recruiting. they had more and better scholarship money. Hurst had a rink. But over time, the others caught up. I fully expect that to happen again. Mercyhurst certainly doesn't dominate the original teams like it did. Not even close. And really if you look at it, nobody ran away and hid. Could Holy Cross have played in the western pod and been competetive. I think so. Could UCONN? Not quite as well as Holy Cross, but I think they'd have done as well as Mercyhurst and better than Canisius. I fyou really look at it, the league sets up pretty well for an East and a West. UCONN, Sacred heart, AIC, Holy Cross Army and Bentley are all within a couple of hours drive. Army to Bentley is probably the longest maybe 31/2-4 hours. Same in the west. RIT to Pittsburgh is probably the longest, I'd guess maybe 4 hours. Everyone else is in a pretty tight radius around Buffalo. So it really does make sense to organize the league like they are. Air Force is 2000 miles away from its nearest competitor. Even Mercyhurst, who used to complain that they had to travel a long way for almost all their road games now has a pretty sweet arrangement. While I like having them in the league a lot, it makes for a somewhat strange travel schedule and really makes it difficult for any 1 game playoff scenarios. It works ok for them coming east. They can play Mercyhurst and Canisius back to back for example, but its tough for anyone to go there for a single game.

Comment

Working...
                          X