Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: SCSU 2010-2011 Season Thread- Frozen Four or Bust

Originally posted by First Time, Long Time View Post
    Also makes it hard when the NSIC says you can't cut it and stay in the conference.
    Good for the NSIC. I'd have told Morris to shove it as well.

Comment

Originally posted by bigmrg74 View Post
      Sure makes it hard for those that wanted to cut the football team earlier this year.
      I don't think anybody ever denied their ability to beat some of the awful alleged colleges they play in football. The issue is that no one really gives a ****, and it's a total waste of money to beat up on SW Minnesota St and some school called Mary.
      Originally posted by dicaslover
      Yep, you got it. I heart Maize.

Originally posted by Kristin
      Maybe I'm missing something but you just asked me which MSU I go to and then you knew the theme of my homecoming, how do you know one and not the other?

Western College Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by MaizeRage View Post
        I don't think anybody ever denied their ability to beat some of the awful alleged colleges they play in football. The issue is that no one really gives a ****, and it's a total waste of money to beat up on SW Minnesota St and some school called Mary.
        And that's one reason why SCSU will ultimately be a DI university, notwithstanding today's challenging economic times.

Now back to hockey: With some home-cookin, rev'd up their special teams, and a big welcome to a EZAC team which will be lost on the NHC big ice, Husckeys come up with a SWEEP! Lee wins 4 - 1 on Friday, and Dunn wins 3 -2 on Saturday Night.

Comment

Originally posted by MaizeRage View Post
          Its not SCSU's fault that those other schools don't put in the resources to field competative squads. Thats the kind of thinking that left SCSU to be second fiddle to the Johnnies over at St. John's there in St. Cloud.

Originally posted by Husckey Domi Nation View Post
          And that's one reason why SCSU will ultimately be a DI university, notwithstanding today's challenging economic times.
          Its another ten million a year minimum just to be a warm body with a pulse. Thats an aweful lot of money right there to be spending just for the chance that SCSU can add its name to the long list of schools that have beaten the Gophers in football. Seems like everybody else has. Why not worry about besting the rest of the NSIC first before you start making grandious plans on being a big deal, scores on the ESPN Ticker D1 school. At best, St. Cloud would become a MAC school, and nobody cares about those schools either.
          bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

Now back to hockey: With some home-cookin, rev'd up their special teams, and a big welcome to a EZAC team which will be lost on the NHC big ice, Husckeys come up with a SWEEP! Lee wins 4 - 1 on Friday, and Dunn wins 3 -2 on Saturday Night.
            The only way they are all D1 school is if they drop football.....That or they get one huge donation to make it happen.

I was talking to a former player last weekend and he brought up the fact the conference is a joke now. He said the team is really good this year, but it is like playing a level down from what it use to be since the big boys(north dakota and south dakota schools) moved up. He said it was crazy playing in Fargo and Brookings in front of fans that actually cared and now half your schedule is a joke and a cake walk. he was dissapointed the program didn't move up when the other NCC schools did. Of course he isn't dumb either and realizes you have to have fan suppport to move up and SCSU doesn't have much of that.
            I am Tommyboy, and I approve this message.

In Bob we Trust!

The Herb Brooks National Hockey Center..... I wonder who originally came up with that.

Comment

Originally posted by scsutommyboy View Post
              The only way they are all D1 school is if they drop football.....That or they get one huge donation to make it happen.

I was talking to a former player last weekend and he brought up the fact the conference is a joke now. He said the team is really good this year, but it is like playing a level down from what it use to be since the big boys(north dakota and south dakota schools) moved up. He said it was crazy playing in Fargo and Brookings in front of fans that actually cared and now half your schedule is a joke and a cake walk. he was dissapointed the program didn't move up when the other NCC schools did. Of course he isn't dumb either and realizes you have to have fan suppport to move up and SCSU doesn't have much of that.
              Of course, you have to win to gain support. Academians are like politicians-out of touch with reality.

Hump the Bobcats-now that's realilty!!
              Last edited by Skeeterman; 10-29-2010, 09:54 AM. Reason: more info
              Bob is making me concerned
              I am the voice of reason

Comment

I still believe that with the right leadership and vision it could have happened...but with the current leadership, i;e our glorious a.d. it isn't going to happen!
                There is Hope . . .

Comment

For me, a lot of the fun of watching my team beat up on a crummy team was later in the game when we had the 2's and 3rd string in, and mocking the other team that just wasn't that good. Sometimes we would coach em up, or like when they would be forced to punt again, encourange em to fake it. Not like field position was going to do em much good down by 40 in the fourth quarter. One can always have fun at a game if they want to have fun. And no worries, the good teams will be coming up for SCSU this year. Minnesota-Duluth, while down their Harlon Hill candidate for the year, is still a force to be rececond with. And in the playoffs, who knows what can happen there. There's still quite a few teams out there fighting and scratching for a spot. SCSU just happens to have a leg up on most of them right now.
                  bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

Originally posted by bigmrg74 View Post
                    Its another ten million a year minimum just to be a warm body with a pulse. Thats an aweful lot of money right there to be spending just for the chance that SCSU can add its name to the long list of schools that have beaten the Gophers in football. Seems like everybody else has. Why not worry about besting the rest of the NSIC first before you start making grandious plans on being a big deal, scores on the ESPN Ticker D1 school. At best, St. Cloud would become a MAC school, and nobody cares about those schools either.
                    No, that's not how I understood one of the options that Dr. Potter is considering. If the men's football program is discontinued (and therefore SCSU MUST leave the NCIS after next year), then SCSU may apply to join a D1 coference with its remaining programs and work to add a men's football program at a later time. That's not my preference, but the idea that you need "big money" to go DI is not necessary if you can find a proper conference for membership and the travel doesn't overburden your budget. That may be the tricky part in pursuing that option; but, I don't believe it is absolutely necesary to have seed financing, a major donor, or some type of "big money" (which SCSU doesn't currently have or expect to receive in the near future) to go D1.

In addition, going D1 independent (without a designated conference) initially may afford SCSU the opportunity to play teams like UND, SDSU, NDS and other former NCC member schools. Keep in mind, many schools in the NCIS are watching what SCSU does because ALL schools are currently in some type of financial squeeze. SCSU may be rockin' the NCIS boat, but we may not be the only university looking to maybe get out.
                    Last edited by Husckey Domi Nation; 10-29-2010, 11:47 AM.

Comment

What DI conference would want SCSU though? The Summit? That will likely be filled if UND is accepted, like it's expected they will be. The Big Sky? They are in talks with UND, but who knows if they are actually seriously considering UND. They weren't all that interested in NDSU, SDSU or USD. So why would they be interested in a school that is even further west and that doesn't have a football team? There are really no other DI conferences that I can think of that would want SCSU that SCSU would also want to join when you take in travel costs.

I think the Summit would be the best conference for SCSU should they go DI. They'd need other schools to leave the conference for that to be a possibility though.
                      Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
                      when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
                      Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

Originally posted by Dirty View Post

I think the Summit would be the best conference for SCSU should they go DI. They'd need other schools to leave the conference for that to be a possibility though.
                        As I posted earlier, there are many universities struggling with current and future financing in this country and this climate makes it very likely that a school will leave a conference such as SCSU is considering. The Summit League would be overjoyed to consider SCSU as a member in lieu of . . . Southern Utah? Oral Roberts?

Gimme a break as to your implication that no conference would be interested in SCSU.

Comment

No, I said other than the Big Sky and Summit there probably wouldn't be a conference interested in SCSU that SCSU is also interested in. And that even the Big Sky would be questionable given SCSU wouldn't have football. Getting into a DI conference isn't as easy as it seems it should be.

But please if I'm wrong, point out what conferences would be interested in SCSU that SCSU would also be interested in given your admission of keeping travel costs down.
                          Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
                          when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
                          Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

No, I said other than the Big Sky and Summit there probably wouldn't be a conference interested in SCSU that SCSU is also interested in. And that even the Big Sky would be questionable given SCSU wouldn't have football. Getting into a DI conference isn't as easy as it seems it should be.

But please if I'm wrong, point out what conferences would be interested in SCSU that SCSU would also be interested in given your admission of keeping travel costs down.
                            These are valid questions. I do not think SCSU has the means to go DI anytime in the near future. I was thinking a new DII conference could possibly emerge before we would go DI.

Comment

I don't agree with your contention that only two D1 conferences would have mutual interests with SCSU. First, I don't know what Dr. Potter would be looking for in a D1 conference. Second, your contention that an existing conference is the only option for SCSU to go D1 negates the possibility of being an independent for a period of time until locating a conference. Third, conferences themselves are dissolving and evolving as we see with the WCHA, CCHA and potential BTHC. Who is to say that a whole new conference may not form in the near future. Fourth, if you want to limit your query as to existing conferences, then some D1 conferences to consider other than The Summit League and the Big Sky could possibly be The Great West Conference (SCSU would have the 2nd largest school enrollment) or the Missouri Valley Conference (SCSU would have the fourth largest enrollment) or the Horizon League (SCSU would have the fourth largest enrollment) or possibly various Great Lakes Conferences.

One of the problems SCSU and other universities in this general region would have in joining a D1 conference is that there are limited options in the Midwest or Upper Midwest. However, contrary to suggestions from posters that SCSU should just choose another D2 conference, the current situation is that there are also limited options for D2 conferences (or even D3 conferences) in this general region as well.

So the point being is that if you are considering your options about leaving your current conference, why not look to D1? It was an option raised that I had not considered when the financial problems at SCSU first became public earlier this year. But that option seems more plausible after further examination.

Comment

I don't agree with your contention that only two D1 conferences would have mutual interests with SCSU. First, I don't know what Dr. Potter would be looking for in a D1 conference. Second, your contention that an existing conference is the only option for SCSU to go D1 negates the possibility of being an independent for a period of time until locating a conference. Third, conferences themselves are dissolving and evolving as we see with the WCHA, CCHA and potential BTHC. Who is to say that a whole new conference may not form in the near future. Fourth, if you want to limit your query as to existing conferences, then some D1 conferences to consider other than The Summit League and the Big Sky could possibly be The Great West Conference (SCSU would have the 2nd largest school enrollment) or the Missouri Valley Conference (SCSU would have the fourth largest enrollment) or the Horizon League (SCSU would have the fourth largest enrollment) or possibly various Great Lakes Conferences.

One of the problems SCSU and other universities in this general region would have in joining a D1 conference is that there are limited options in the Midwest or Upper Midwest. However, contrary to suggestions from posters that SCSU should just choose another D2 conference, the current situation is that there are also limited options for D2 conferences (or even D3 conferences) in this general region as well.

So the point being is that if you are considering your options about leaving your current conference, why not look to D1? It was an option raised that I had not considered when the financial problems at SCSU first became public earlier this year. But that option seems more plausible after further examination.
                                The Great West Conference? You lose. No one gives a **** about anything besides hockey as it is, there is no legitimate reason to go D-I.

Comment

Working...
                                X