Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: cost vs benefit

Originally posted by Happy View Post
    If you will give me a list of all first round NHL draftees for the next ten years, and then a list of all of these players that go pro early, I will give you the data you want.
    How about you look at the last ten years for such data, which is a matter of fact rather than supposition? Coherent thought relies more upon precedent than premonition, which your request requires.

Comment

Originally posted by Osorojo View Post
      How about you look at the last ten years for such data, which is a matter of fact rather than supposition? Coherent thought relies more upon precedent than premonition, which your request requires.
      Crazy idea here. Why don't you do it? You are the one who wants the answer to this question, so how about you look at all the data and find the answer.

You may be the single laziest person ever. You take all this time to ask all these questions but don't even try to put in even the smallest amount of effort to find out the answer yourself.
      Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
      when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
      Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

Look, there are a maximum of 18 scholarships on each NCAA team each year. it costs the same whether a player is a one-and-done, or a 4 year player. The cost is exactly the same.
        Last edited by Happy; 09-26-2010, 04:33 PM.
        XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX

The reason for the talent in the west? Because MN didn't rely on Canada.

Originally posted by MN Pond Hockey
        Menards could have sold a lot of rope

this morning in Grand Forks if North Dakota had trees.

Comment

Originally posted by Happy View Post
          Look, there are a maximum of 18 scholarships on each NCAA team each year. it costs the same whether a player is a one-and-done, or a 4 year player. The cost is exactly the same.
          Thread Killer!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by uaafanblog View Post
            Thread Killer!!!!
            But is the result of seeking and subsidizing short-timer hockey players better or worse for the college hockey program involved? You have missed the point.

Comment

Well, this is a start. I found WCHA's and HE's budgets for scholarships, for each school: Sholarship Costs.
              Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
              Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

But is the result of seeking and subsidizing short-timer hockey players better or worse for the college hockey program involved? You have missed the point.
                Which is that you are so lazy you probably refuse to wipe your own arse.
                Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
                when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
                Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

Originally posted by Dirty View Post
                  Which is that you are so lazy you probably refuse to wipe your own arse.
                  He'd start a thread wondering what the costs/benefits would be if a) he did it himself or b) if he hired someone else to do it for him.
                  Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                  Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Dude I already answered this, are you simple or something.

It's better, high profile kids that leave early and go to the NHL bring prominence to a program. That leads to better recruiting, better recruiting leads to success, success leads to a lack of patience for stupid threads written by lazy people who don't wish to look up **** on their own, lazy people lead to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to the dark side...

*****http://bigeastsux.files.wordpress.com/2008/10/yoda3oe.jpg******
                    Originally posted by Hokydad
                    Maine will be better this year relative to rankings than BC will be this year

Comment

If college hockey program directors have already examined this data, as I believe they should and as previous posts by others have suggested they have already done, then why should I laboriously duplicate their efforts when they could just share their findings?

If directors of college hockey programs have not assembled this data and examined it I am convinced it is their job to do so, not mine.
                      In that case, I suggest you write to the ADs and SIDs of the colleges you're curious about instead of wasting your time posting on a message board. Do you think any of them actually read this board? I'm skeptical.

When you email them, I'd definitely recommend telling them that it's their job to assemble and disseminate this data so that it can be easily found. That is virtually certain to improve their helpfulness.
                      If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

From some first-hand perspective (as far as schools are concerned), it is better. Prospectives want to play for a team because of their recent success of players going to the NHL, and you'll find this to be true within specific NHL clubs as well as young junior players. I know, call it farming if you will, but if you find a facility with fabulous training regiments (mind you, major juniors doesn't get very much time to do this), then why pass it up?

Teams get 18 scholarships. There are probably about 28 players on a team on average. Assume 3 are walk-ons, you're down to 25. Factor in financial aid, other academic scholarships, and such, and you can get it down to 18. Players' athletic scholarships have the right for 5 years (4 for playing plus a red-shirt year), but the player may break it if they choose to go to the professional leagues or leave the school. If the player leaves, hey, you now have the ability to offer up some more money the next year.

BTW, Bear Red, this is your last chance. After this, I turn to memes.

Comment

Flagdude:

Thank you for a pertinent answer containing credible information and reasonable conclusions. The "farm team" system probably does work for college hockey programs, early departures and all.

Comment

Originally posted by jcarter7669 View Post
                            That leads to better recruiting, better recruiting leads to success, success leads to a lack of patience for stupid threads written by lazy people who don't wish to look up **** on their own, lazy people lead to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to the dark side...
                            Rain makes corn.... corn makes whiskey ..... whiskey makes my baby a little frisky.
                            2006-07 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
                            2008-09 Atlantic Hockey Co-Champions!
                            2009-10 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
                            2010 Frozen Four participant
                            2010-11 Atlantic Hockey Champions!

Member of the infamous Corner Crew

Comment

Originally posted by komey1 View Post
                              Rain makes corn.... corn makes whiskey ..... whiskey makes my baby a little frisky.
                              Ice cold beer! Makes me wanna cheer!
                              Ice cold wine! Makes me feel fine!
                              Ice cold whiskey! Makes me feel frisky!
                              Ice cold Pucker! Makes me wanna...

SCORE!

Comment

KAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN NNNNn
                                Code:
                                As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                                College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                                BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                                Originally posted by SanTropez
                                May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                                Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                                I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                                Originally posted by Kepler
                                When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                                He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Working...
                                X