X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Big Ten Hockey Conference Pt II - The Exodus

Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
    Shouldn't Michigan be forced to renovate Yost yet again or get a larger arena before joining the B1G? 6,600 is puny.
    That, and if it wasn't for all of the banners and rabid Maize and Blue fans in there, its not much to look at. Take the fans out of the place and its not very special. Poor sight lines in the corners. On a physical arena alone, the Berry up at NMU is a nicer building. Only thing that Yost has is that rabid fan base of 6666 not very nice fans screaming death at the other team.
    bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
      Exactly. There's a sizeable chunk of the Minnesota fanbase that has voiced the opinion that they will spend their Final Five money elsewhere rather than go to the B1G tournament. It's just going to be too expensive.
      I'm considered a "newer" fan, have been to every F5 for the last 7-8 years. I take vacation days for it. I plan around it. I plan for it. It's like a mini-vacation, and I live 30 minutes away from the X. And I won't bother with the B1G conference tourney unless it's here.

There's a reason the WCHA F5 had an AVERAGE attendance of about 71K for the weekend since it's been at the X. Like GLM said when he ventured out here, it's an amazing experience, and that year our PLAY-IN game drew about the same or more than the ECAC tourney as a WHOLE.

Yes, those conferences are vastly different in traditional skill/competitiveness on a national scale, but a single play-in game getting the same attendance as a whole tourney? That speaks volumes.
      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

I have not been following this thread very closely, but if three CCHA teams leave for the Big Six, would UAH be welcomed into the CCHA to keep an even number of teams?

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
          I have not been following this thread very closely, but if three CCHA teams leave for the Big Six, would UAH be welcomed into the CCHA to keep an even number of teams?
          No. No one likes UAH, and they don't fit the footprint for the CCHA. Plus they bring no value to the table of a league that will need big names, not more hangers on.
          PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
          Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
          NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

The CCHA is already at an odd number. As things stand now, about the only way they would get in is if somebody like Kentucky started up a D1 program.
            bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

Comment

Shouldn't Michigan be forced to renovate Yost yet again or get a larger arena before joining the B1G? 6,600 is puny.
              I can say with certainty they will not replace Yost. Their fan base loves the old joint and what would you have them do with renovation, you're limited by the building's age and size. All available area for seating is already used for that purpose unless you would do what Ohio State does to increase seating for football by narrowing your seating on the bleachers to 12 inches. Hello sardine can. I'd like to watch a game without feeling every contour of the guys body next to mine.

Comment

Originally posted by bigmrg74 View Post
                The CCHA is already at an odd number.
                Whoops, I forgot that Omaha was not replaced. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
                  I can say with certainty they will not replace Yost. Their fan base loves the old joint and what would you have them do with renovation, you're limited by the building's age and size. All available area for seating is already used for that purpose unless you would do what Ohio State does to increase seating for football by narrowing your seating on the bleachers to 12 inches. Hello sardine can. I'd like to watch a game without feeling every contour of the guys body next to mine.
                  Then they should play all of their home games against B1G opponents at the Joe. No excuse for them to play in that dump!
                  PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
                  Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
                  NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Whoops, I forgot that Omaha was not replaced. Thanks.
                    UAH was suppost to be the program to replace UNO. Til the CCHA hung UAH out to dry.

It just happens.

Comment

Then they should play all of their home games against B1G opponents at the Joe. No excuse for them to play in that dump!
                      Back before OSU's new arena opened in '99 we were playing in our original rink built in '62 which had a seating capacity of about 1000 and was short of regulation length with a low ceiling. Berenson was vocal that OSU shouldn't be in the CCHA with such a substandard facility. After the men's team moved to the new arena the women's team was established and it's their home ice and it was extended to regulation length by diminishing the south bleachers to two rows and capacity to 900. The men's team still practices there a lot as the main arena is shared with basketball so half the time the court is on the ice. And that's where they bump us to host playoff games as OSU has the state high school wrestling tournament in the new arena because it's a MUCH bigger money draw than hockey here.

Comment

Originally posted by bigmrg74 View Post
                        UAH was suppost to be the program to replace UNO. Til the CCHA hung UAH out to dry.
                        In short, the CCHA expected BGSU was going to fold, leaving the conference with an even number of teams.

Well, in a roundabout way, the CCHA will probably get their wish.
                        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                        Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Working...
                        X