X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Big Ten Hockey Conference Pt II - The Exodus

Originally posted by sbkbghockey View Post
    Is the BTHC = more TV revenue valid from the the programs being part of the Big Ten in general or does it actually come from more hockey coverage on the BTNet. If it’s the 2nd I’m skeptical of how much more hockey coverage the Big Ten Network will have. I remember seeing more hockey games about 3-4 years ago than the last few years and this year so far. I'm somewhat doubtful a BTHC will cause the BTNet to show more hockey- it's always going to be the "Big Ten Basketball & Football Network" unlike say Fox Sports North for the Gophers which is HOCKEY HOCKEY HOCKEY.
    But there is no Big Ten Basketball or Football to show on Friday nights. That's at least one marquis game per week. No, it won't bring in the revenue the two big sports do, but it will fill what I assume is a big hole in their programming.
    Can't we all just get along?
    Always remember... This is just a game we're talking about here. Let's not take it all too seriously.

Comment

I wouldn't be suprised if the BTHC shows Friday and Sunday games instead of the traditional Friday and Saturday games.
      Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
      dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
      wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

I heard an interesting rumor from a source who has very good hockey connections regarding Minnesota and the BTHC.

The upshot is this: The Integer not only needs six votes to sponsor a BTHC, they need the commitment of six teams. So they don't just need six votes from anywhere, they need six votes from sponsoring institutions. Minnesota is a hold-out, so the conference is fishing for a further addition a la Penn State so that they can override the Gophers' veto. (Unknown in this is whether the Gophers could be bought off in return for concessions regarding TV or other Minnesota state schools.)

(Concurrent with this is a further rumor that the Integer is still strongly considering affiliate membership for hockey to fill out the conference.)
        Northeastern Huskies Class of 1998 / BS Chemical Engineering
        Notre Dame Fighting Irish Class of 2011 / PhD Chemical Engineering

But then again, isn't holding forth on an extreme opinion from a position of complete ignorance what these boards are all about? -- from a BigSoccer post by kerrunch

Britney can't sing. At all. She sounds like a cross between a crackhead chipmunk that had more than a couple beers and a drowning cat. -- DHG on the MTV VMAs

Comment

Originally posted by Craig P. View Post
          I heard an interesting rumor from a source who has very good hockey connections regarding Minnesota and the BTHC.

The upshot is this: The Integer not only needs six votes to sponsor a BTHC, they need the commitment of six teams. So they don't just need six votes from anywhere, they need six votes from sponsoring institutions. Minnesota is a hold-out, so the conference is fishing for a further addition a la Penn State so that they can override the Gophers' veto. (Unknown in this is whether the Gophers could be bought off in return for concessions regarding TV or other Minnesota state schools.)

(Concurrent with this is a further rumor that the Integer is still strongly considering affiliate membership for hockey to fill out the conference.)
          At the bottom of this page:

http://www.kbunam.com/College_Hockey_Tonight.html

The college hockey world was rocked by Penn State’s announcement last week that they would start a varsity men’s and women’s hockey program. Speculation centered on the possible formation of the long rumored “Big 10 Hockey Conference,” and its possible ramification of the rest of college hockey. While there is a lot still to be decided the easiest thing to figure out are the actual Big 10 bylaws regarding starting the conference. To answer some of those questions, I contacted Scott Chipman, the Big 10’s Associate Commissioner for Communications. Here’s what he told me:

College Hockey Tonight: Let's say a current Big 10 school wanted to get a hockey conference started. What is the procedure for this? Does that school's President of AD bring it to the conference office? Bring it to the other hockey AD's?

Scott Chipman: IN ORDER TO ADD A BIG TEN CHAMPIONSHIP SPORT, THE BIG TEN ADMINISTRATORS COUNCIL (ATHLETIC DIRECTORS AND SENIOR WOMAN ADMINISTRATORS) WOULD NEED TO MAKE A RECOMMENDATION THAT WOULD THEN BE REVIEWED BY THE BIG TEN COUNCIL OF PRESIDENTS/CHANCELLORS.

CHT: If the decision is made to move forward with the formation of a conference, who votes? The 6 hockey playing schools or all 11 (12) Big 10 members? Who at each school votes - the Presidents, the AD's or the faculty reps? What is required - a simple majority or some sort of super-majority?

SC: HISTORICALLY, INSTITUTIONS NOT SPONSORING A SPECIFIC SPORT HAVE DEFERRED JUDGMENT REGARDING MANAGING THAT SPORT TO THE INSTITUTIONS THAT DO SPONSOR THE SPORT. HOWEVER, THERE IS NOTHING PROCEDURALLY THAT WOULD PROHIBIT ANY MEMBER INSTITUTION FROM VOTING ON THE ADDITION OF A BIG TEN CHAMPIONSHIP SPORT, EVEN IF AN INSTITUTION DOES NOT SPONSOR THAT SPORT.

CHT: What do the Big 10 bylaws say about "associate" members? I.E., a non-Big-10 member wanted to be part of the Big 10 for hockey only. Does the Big 10 have a mechanism for adding a school like that? What would be the procedure for creating a mechanism if a Big 10 hockey conference wanted to explore the possibility of "associate" members? If there is language, would that school have to be Division-I in all sports?

SC: THERE ARE NO STANDING PROVISIONS REGARDING “ASSOCIATE” MEMBERS. JUST LIKE IN THE FIRST QUESTION, IN ORDER TO ADD AN ASSOCIATE MEMBER IN A SPORT, THE ADMINISTRATORS COUNCIL WOULD NEED TO MAKE A RECOMMENDATION THAT WOULD THEN BE REVIEWED BY THE BIG TEN COUNCIL OF PRESIDENTS/CHANCELLORS.

Hopefully that answers some questions. Mr. Chipman made it clear to me that the Big 10 had no further comment on the possibility of starting a hockey conference, but he was more than happy to discuss the process of how it would or could happen.
          Current NCAA D-I rinks I've been to:

AHA:
          B1G: UMich, MSU, UMinn, Notre Dame, OSU, UWisc
          CCHA: BSU, BG, FSU, LSSU, MSU, MTU, NMU
          ECAC:
          HEA: UMass
          NCHC: Miami, UMD, UND, SCSU, WMU
          Independant: ASU

Inactive: UAH, ASU, BSU, UMD, UND, NMU, Notre Dame

Comment

The Minnesota AD himself has said that he'll be outvoted on this issue. If, however, Minnesota refuses to join the BTHC under whatever pretext, then the next order of business should be to immediately adopt a Big 12 model of distributing television revenue and stop subsidizing his athletic department.. Let's see how this clown AD likes his tv money getting cut in half. Don't spend all that Fox North hockey money in one place, Maturi.

Comment

SC: HISTORICALLY, INSTITUTIONS NOT SPONSORING A SPECIFIC SPORT HAVE DEFERRED JUDGMENT REGARDING MANAGING THAT SPORT TO THE INSTITUTIONS THAT DO SPONSOR THE SPORT. HOWEVER, THERE IS NOTHING PROCEDURALLY THAT WOULD PROHIBIT ANY MEMBER INSTITUTION FROM VOTING ON THE ADDITION OF A BIG TEN CHAMPIONSHIP SPORT, EVEN IF AN INSTITUTION DOES NOT SPONSOR THAT SPORT.
              Exactly. And anyone want to venture a guess as to how Indiana, Illinois, Purdue, NW and Iowa are going to vote? Gee, are they going to side with Minnesota and its imbecilic and incompetent ad or are they going to side with the schools responsible for that Brinks Truck with $22 million dollars of television money that gets backed up to their doorstep every year? Hmmmmm? That's a toughie!

SC: THERE ARE NO STANDING PROVISIONS REGARDING “ASSOCIATE” MEMBERS. JUST LIKE IN THE FIRST QUESTION, IN ORDER TO ADD AN ASSOCIATE MEMBER IN A SPORT, THE ADMINISTRATORS COUNCIL WOULD NEED TO MAKE A RECOMMENDATION THAT WOULD THEN BE REVIEWED BY THE BIG TEN COUNCIL OF PRESIDENTS/CHANCELLORS.
              And the Big Ten Presidents are not going to do any favors for Notre Dame.

Comment

Originally posted by Sterling Cooper View Post
                The Minnesota AD himself has said that he'll be outvoted on this issue. If, however, Minnesota refuses to join the BTHC under whatever pretext, then the next order of business should be to immediately adopt a Big 12 model of distributing television revenue and stop subsidizing his athletic department.. Let's see how this clown AD likes his tv money getting cut in half. Don't spend all that Fox North hockey money in one place, Maturi.
                Who would benefit by adopting a Big 12 model? I'm sure it would hurt more than Minnesota, so I question whether they could present it as a credible threat. I think the only way they could really push the Gophers is with something directly targetted.
                Northeastern Huskies Class of 1998 / BS Chemical Engineering
                Notre Dame Fighting Irish Class of 2011 / PhD Chemical Engineering

But then again, isn't holding forth on an extreme opinion from a position of complete ignorance what these boards are all about? -- from a BigSoccer post by kerrunch

Britney can't sing. At all. She sounds like a cross between a crackhead chipmunk that had more than a couple beers and a drowning cat. -- DHG on the MTV VMAs

Comment

Who would benefit by adopting a Big 12 model? I'm sure it would hurt more than Minnesota, so I question whether they could present it as a credible threat. I think the only way they could really push the Gophers is with something directly targetted.
                  Not that it will happen because I think the other Big Ten schools have a more generous and far sighted vision of the the Big Ten and how important cooperation is to make it successful than does Minny. It is theorhetically conceivable though. Ohio State, Penn State, Michigan, Wisconsin and probably Iowa and Sparty would be net winners which would get a 6-5 majority if they all stuck together. Nebraska is still in a probationary period and can't vote, but they would definitely be a net winner under unequal distribution.

I've never really had anything against Minnesota until now. But they are being ridiculously selfish and ungrateful towards the other conference schools. Hopefully, that's more a result of the arse clown currently in the ad's chair up there than the instiution as a whole.

Comment

Not that it will happen because I think the other Big Ten schools have a more generous and far sighted vision of the the Big Ten and how important cooperation is to make it successful than does Minny. It is theorhetically conceivable though. Ohio State, Penn State, Michigan, Wisconsin and probably Iowa and Sparty would be net winners which would get a 6-5 majority if they all stuck together. Nebraska is still in a probationary period and can't vote, but they would definitely be a net winner under unequal distribution.

I've never really had anything against Minnesota until now. But they are being ridiculously selfish and ungrateful towards the other conference schools. Hopefully, that's more a result of the arse clown currently in the ad's chair up there than the instiution as a whole.
                    You are being ********...all of the talk in this thread is speculation by a bunch of fans...none of this talk is coming from Maturi or Minnesota. Stop being a a giant douch3bag and calm the F#$% down jack hole.
                    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Exactly. And anyone want to venture a guess as to how Indiana, Illinois, Purdue, NW and Iowa are going to vote? Gee, are they going to side with Minnesota and its imbecilic and incompetent ad or are they going to side with the schools responsible for that Brinks Truck with $22 million dollars of television money that gets backed up to their doorstep every year? Hmmmmm? That's a toughie!
                      It's not like the addition of a BTHC is going to increase the revenue to $23M (nor drop it to $21M). To me, it seems like it would be a big "don't care" for schools who don't sponsor hockey.
                      If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

The Minnesota AD has never come out and said anything about being out voted. Do you understand Minneapolis/St. Paul is the second biggest home town tv market in the Big Ten conference behind Chicago? If that is the case the Twin Cities tv market has more upside than anybody in the Big Ten outside of Chicago.
                        Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
                        dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
                        wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
                          The Minnesota AD has never come out and said anything about being out voted. Do you understand Minneapolis/St. Paul is the second biggest home town tv market in the Big Ten conference behind Chicago? If that is the case the Twin Cities tv market has more upside than anybody in the Big Ten outside of Chicago.
                          Ummm, actually, he has. Here's the quote.

"We'll do what's best for the sport as long as we can," Minnesota athletics director Joel Maturi said. "Now, as one of the six (Big Ten) schools, we'll be a part of that decision, but our vote won't count for more than anyone else's.
                          As for media market sizes, Detriot-Ann Arbor (at #10) is still bigger than Minneapolis-St Paul (#16). Combine the the "3C" markets in Ohio, which are dominated by Ohio State and one has a combined media market of 4.8 million which would put it 5th (between SF and Dallas), not to mention the infinitely larger national appeal of Ohio State, Michigan and Penn State--you really think Minny is getting the Big Ten network put onto any cable systems in the northeast or west coast? Actually, they might help in the NE is the future--as part of a BTHC package on the network.

The Big Ten is not going to cowtow to Maturi and UM because of some perceived notion of how big the Minneapolis media market is. If anything, that's going to work against Maturi and will lead to the feeling of if the market is so important and hockey is such an important subcomponent then get the **** games off Fox North and onto the BTN.

Comment

There is no reason that Minnesota shouldn't do what's best for the sport as long as they can. Minnesota as the flagship of a state that has 4 other D1 teams has a responsibility to more than just the Big Ten. If you can't understand that, than I really don't see why we're even talking about this.
                            Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

As for media market sizes, Detriot-Ann Arbor (at #10) is still bigger than Minneapolis-St Paul (#16). Combine the the "3C" markets in Ohio, which are dominated by Ohio State and one has a combined media market of 4.8 million which would put it 5th (between SF and Dallas), not to mention the infinitely larger national appeal of Ohio State, Michigan and Penn State--you really think Minny is getting the Big Ten network put onto any cable systems in the northeast or west coast? Actually, they might help in the NE is the future--as part of a BTHC package on the network.

The Big Ten is not going to cowtow to Maturi and UM because of some perceived notion of how big the Minneapolis media market is. If anything, that's going to work against Maturi and will lead to the feeling of if the market is so important and hockey is such an important subcomponent then get the **** games off Fox North and onto the BTN.
                              Geezus Christ, what the hell is your problem? The reason why we (Minnesota fans) do not want to go to the Big Ten is because a) we will see 1/10 of Gopher games on the s*itty Big Ten Network than we get now b) we will lose out on rivalries like Michigan Tech, Denver, UND, and UMD (among others). I realize Minnesota will probably get to play them for OOC games, but it just won't be the same. Oh, and c) we will have to deal with *********s like you. At least I can laugh at how ridiculous Wisconsin/UND fans are.
                              Maturi realizes that it would be a stupid decision to not join the BTHC once it forms. He may suck at hiring football coaches, but he is not a complete fool. Minnesota will be in the BTHC whenever it is formed.

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                                There is no reason that Minnesota shouldn't do what's best for the sport as long as they can. Minnesota as the flagship of a state that has 4 other D1 teams has a responsibility to more than just the Big Ten. If you can't understand that, than I really don't see why we're even talking about this.
                                Those other four D1 hockey programs aren't keeping Minnesota's athletic department in the black. Those other 10 Big Ten universities and the Big Ten Network are. Maturi's job is NOT to look out for "the sport." If that's what he wants to do, let him get a job working for "the sport" or let him scurry back to the mid-major rock he crawled out from under. His job is to look out for Minnesota's athletic department, whose fortunes and finances are tied inextricably to the Big Ten and the Big Ten Network.

Comment

Working...
                                X