X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Big Ten Hockey Conference Pt II - The Exodus

Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
    When all the Big Ten schools were in the same conference Minnesota usually was one or two.
    When I was in college Minnesota was good. Things change.

Saying that, Minnesota will most likely be a top team in the BTHC.
    North Dakota
    National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Wow. Barry Alvarez is posting on the board! Welcome Barry!

If you seriously believe the Big Ten presidents do anything because "they think is best for everyone" then I want to tell you about a great deal on oceanfront property I have for sale in Montana.
      Last edited by Priceless; 10-20-2010, 11:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Beer Pong Horn View Post
        From informal chats with Gophers season ticket holders, the decrease in attendance is already happening, driven by price increases, fees, and the "donation" required to keep season tickets. Even TV revenue may very well go down for the four schools not named Ohio State and Penn State, since they all have individual contracts with Fox Sports at the moment. That'll all be shared with the rest of the Big Ten schools, plus the network overhead costs.
        That's certainly evident on television. You can see lots of empty seats. I realize that the games are quite possibly sold out, but the butts aren't in the seats.

We've seen somewhat of a drop in butts in the seats here also. I'm not sure if we even had a sellout last season where we had multiple sellouts in 05-06.

I guarantee that simply bringing in Ohio State will not sell more tickets. We host Michigan and Michigan State every other season and those games don't create much more buzz than the typical series against Duluth.

A BTHC will not increase attendance. If anything, there's a good chance we'll have more series against lesser programs that we'll only go to because we were forced to buy them with our season ticket package.

No disrespect to Alabama-Huntsville, but that "series" was a waste of everyone's time and I'm not looking forward to 4-5 of those match-ups per year.

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
          Please show me stats backing up your claim that college hockey is getting more recognition year after year?

Also, it's niche, not nitch. Nitch is not a word.
          Cumulative Attendance Records

1. 4,440,333 (2007-08, 1,118 games)

2. 4,399,170 (2003-04, 1,143 games)

3. 4,388,100 (2006-07, 1,098 games)

4. 4,323,398 (2002-03, 1,172 games)

5. 4,315,001 (2004-05, 1,144 games)

6. 4,223,468 (2005-06, 1,085 games)

looks like general attendance has been increasing...

http://www.collegehockeynews.com/new...04/12_mens.php

Comment

Originally posted by UMDdangler View Post
            Cumulative Attendance Records

1. 4,440,333 (2007-08, 1,118 games)

2. 4,399,170 (2003-04, 1,143 games)

3. 4,388,100 (2006-07, 1,098 games)

4. 4,323,398 (2002-03, 1,172 games)

5. 4,315,001 (2004-05, 1,144 games)

6. 4,223,468 (2005-06, 1,085 games)

looks like general attendance has been increasing...

http://www.collegehockeynews.com/new...04/12_mens.php
            To put those in chronological order...

4,323,398 (2002-03, 1,172 games) (3689)
            4,399,170 (2003-04, 1,143 games) (3849)
            4,315,001 (2004-05, 1,144 games) (3772)
            4,223,468 (2005-06, 1,085 games) (3893)
            4,388,100 (2006-07, 1,098 games) (3996)
            4,440,333 (2007-08, 1,118 games) (3972)

The on-campus numbers per USCHO

3,642,595 (2009-2010, 1018 games) (3578)
            3,678,704 (2008-09 1011 games) (3639)
            3,428,659 (2007-08, 1015 games) (3378)
            3,502,713 (2006-07, 1006 games) (3482)
            3,431,253 (2005-06, 1008 games) (3404)
            3,353,830 (2004-05, 977 games) (3433)
            3,327,022 (2003-04, 973 games) (3419)
            3,636,727 (2002-03, 1032 games) (3524)

So on-campus attendance is the same as it was in 2002-03...

For a little more perspective on your numbers:

4,323,398 (2002-03, 1,172 games) (3689)
            Iona stops playing
            Fairfield stops playing
            4,399,170 (2003-04, 1,143 games) (3849)
            Findlay stops playing
            Robert Morris starts playing
            4,315,001 (2004-05, 1,144 games) (3772)
            4,223,468 (2005-06, 1,085 games) (3893)
            RIT starts playing
            4,388,100 (2006-07, 1,098 games) (3996)
            4,440,333 (2007-08, 1,118 games) (3972)
            Wayne State stops playing.

Iona, Fairfield and Findlay were in the 50's in attendance, so I would expect the average attendance to go up since you're lopping off bottom dwellers. Those three programs averaged 1650 combined. RIT and Robert Morris combine for 2200. So more fans and fewer programs = higher average.
            Last edited by Priceless; 10-21-2010, 10:11 AM. Reason: Cleaning up

Comment

Originally posted by SteveP View Post
              Nothing much going on right now. The design firm could be chosen by next month. I interviewed current arena manager Chris Wittemore during our game last Friday. He says that groundbreaking should be sometime next summer.

As for the team itself, I'm told the varsity coach won't be selected until after the FF.
              Wow - so they're only going to give the coach ~16 months to pull a team together? That seems tough, but I guess if I were a coach, I wouldn't want to spend more than a full season recruiting instead of coaching, either.
              If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Big Ten Conference hockey? It's a strong possibility by Pioneer Press

Strong possibility? How about done deal.

Lucia, for instance, said Minnesota would like to keep all of its in-state rivals — Minnesota-Duluth, St. Cloud State and Minnesota State Mankato — on the schedule. Plus, he'd like to see games against traditional WCHA heavyweights such as North Dakota and Colorado College.

"These are longstanding rivals," Lucia said. "We've been playing schools like Colorado College and Michigan Tech an awfully long time. I would like to find a way for that to continue; if not every year, then maybe every other year, so we still have a tie-in there."
                Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
                dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
                wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Let me blunt about this. Ohio State, Michigan and Penn State all could have carved out very lucrative individual television deals for themselves a'la Texas. They chose not to and went all-in on the Big Ten Network, signing over all those rights to the conference and committing themselves fully to the concept of equal revenue distribution among Big Ten teams.

Now, we're hearing frickin' Minnesota whine about their **** *** little regional hockey deal? At the very time that they are christening a new football stadium that is literally built upon a foundation of television and bowl money generated by the above schools? When the time comes for the BTHC, Minnesota will shut its mouth, say "yes sir" and do exactly as it's told! Let the negative rep fly, but that's exactly how this will go down behind closed doors. And if that incompetent clown of an AD wants to fight it because he mistakenly believes his job is to protect the interests of the WCHA or "college hockey" then he should be immediately whacked and sent scurrying back to the mid-major rock he crawled out from under.
                  Last edited by Sterling Cooper; 11-02-2010, 10:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sterling Cooper View Post
                    Let me blunt about this. Ohio State, Michigan and Penn State all could have carved out very lucrative individual television deals for themselves a'la Texas. They chose not to and went all-in on the Big Ten Network, signing over all those rights to the conference and committing themselves fully to the concept of equal revenue distribution among Big Ten teams.

Now, we're hearing frickin' Minnesota whine about their **** *** little regional hockey deal?
                    I don't hear that from anyone at all associated with the school. Fans, yes, the AD, President or coaches? Nope.
                    At the very time that they are christening a new football stadium that is literally built upon a foundation of television and bowl money generated by the above schools?
                    Um, any clue as to how that stadium was paid for? I'm paying for it just by living in the state. Plus, the University raised their share through fundraising (not Big 10 Network or bowl money):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TCF_Bank_Stadium#Funding
                    When the time comes for the BTHC, Minnesota will shut its mouth, say "yes sir" and do exactly as it's told! Let the negative rep fly, but that's exactly how this will go down behind closed doors. And if that incompetent clown of an AD wants to fight it because he mistakenly believes his job is to protect the interests of the WCHA or "college hockey" then he should be immediately whacked and sent scurrying back to the mid-major rock he crawled out from under.
                    Now, those points made, I don't disagree with your main premise that the Gophs, while big dogs in hockey, are small potatoes in the Big 10 "big picture."
                    Current NCAA D-I rinks I've been to:

AHA:
                    B1G: UMich, MSU, UMinn, Notre Dame, OSU, UWisc
                    CCHA: BSU, BG, FSU, LSSU, MSU, MTU, NMU
                    ECAC:
                    HEA: UMass
                    NCHC: Miami, UMD, UND, SCSU, WMU
                    Independant: ASU

Inactive: UAH, ASU, BSU, UMD, UND, NMU, Notre Dame

Comment

Originally posted by moose97 View Post

Um, any clue as to how that stadium was paid for? I'm paying for it just by living in the state. Plus, the University raised their share through fundraising (not Big 10 Network or bowl money):
                      I do understand that the stadium was funded by donations and tax dollars. My foundation metaphor was a little misleading. That being said, do you think that stadium gets funded and built without that $22MM in Big Ten television flowing into the Minnesota athletic department? Money that, I might add, is a direct result of the Big Three going all-in on equal revenue distribution. I still firmly believe that, while television money may not have written the checks to the construction companies, the Big Ten Network and Big Ten television money are the foundation of that stadium. Without the financial stability that brings to the ad, the stadium doesn't get built.

Comment

I do understand that the stadium was funded by donations and tax dollars. My foundation metaphor was a little misleading. That being said, do you think that stadium gets funded and built without that $22MM in Big Ten television flowing into the Minnesota athletic department? Money that, I might add, is a direct result of the Big Three going all-in on equal revenue distribution. I still firmly believe that, while television money may not have written the checks to the construction companies, the Big Ten Network and Big Ten television money are the foundation of that stadium. Without the financial stability that brings to the ad, the stadium doesn't get built.
                        I suppose we'll never know. I still wish they would have built a Vikes/Gophers stadium like Pittsburgh did, but that's a discussion for a different thread/place...

AHA:
                        ECAC:

Comment

Originally posted by moose97 View Post
                          I suppose we'll never know. I still wish they would have built a Vikes/Gophers stadium like Pittsburgh did, but that's a discussion for a different thread/place...
                          Minnesota football needs an on-campus stadium if it's ever going to enjoy a renaissance. I think they did exactly the right thing. It's a great facility, and I believe it can be expanded up to around Camp Randall size. Minny just needs the right coach to pull it all together. Unfortunately, I have little faith in your current ad's ability to get that right.

Comment

Minnesota football needs an on-campus stadium if it's ever going to enjoy a renaissance. I think they did exactly the right thing. It's a great facility, and I believe it can be expanded up to around Camp Randall size. Minny just needs the right coach to pull it all together. Unfortunately, I have little faith in your current ad's ability to get that right.
                            Oh, he's not my AD... Bemidji State media here. I've been to TCF (when they almost lost to SDSU last year - I was rooting hard for the Jackrabbits - well, as hard as you can root in a press box), and it's nice.

AHA:
                            ECAC:

Comment

Now, we're hearing frickin' Minnesota whine about their **** *** little regional hockey deal?
                              The fans yes but not the Minnesota admin. JFR, that little regional hockey deal is the best one in the country. The fact of the matter is the Gophers have the best hockey ratings in the country and they actually have people watching their games.

At the very time that they are christening a new football stadium that is literally built upon a foundation of television and bowl money generated by the above schools?
                              Wrong. The Minnesota taxpayer paid for that stadium.

When the time comes for the BTHC, Minnesota will shut its mouth, say "yes sir" and do exactly as it's told!
                              Huh? Bud do a little news paper research and you will find Lucia, Maturi and company being quoted something to the extent of your non-researched but correct quote.
                              Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
                              dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
                              wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Is the BTHC = more TV revenue valid from the the programs being part of the Big Ten in general or does it actually come from more hockey coverage on the BTNet. If it’s the 2nd I’m skeptical of how much more hockey coverage the Big Ten Network will have. I remember seeing more hockey games about 3-4 years ago than the last few years and this year so far. I'm somewhat doubtful a BTHC will cause the BTNet to show more hockey- it's always going to be the "Big Ten Basketball & Football Network" unlike say Fox Sports North for the Gophers which is HOCKEY HOCKEY HOCKEY.

Comment

Working...
                                X