X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Big Ten Hockey Conference Pt II - The Exodus

Originally posted by bigmrg74 View Post
    One, the biggests problem I see with this you would lose an conference with an autobid. Plus, how hosed is that West Division?? Though I suppose a school like UND could just do one week in Alaska, and then another week later on in Colorado.
    1) W/C-CHA Travel - Ugh.
    2) Only 1 AQ
    3) 24 teams - how's that supposed to work (see #1) One game vs. each team - Friday/Sunday at Wisconsin and Minny or UAA and UA_ or PSU and OSU? Again, see #1
    4) OOC travel? Everyone's gotta play eastern teams, and there's no way those schools are all gonna head west
    Current NCAA D-I rinks I've been to:

AHA:
    B1G: UMich, MSU, UMinn, Notre Dame, OSU, UWisc
    CCHA: BSU, BG, FSU, LSSU, MSU, MTU, NMU
    ECAC:
    HEA: UMass
    NCHC: Miami, UMD, UND, SCSU, WMU
    Independant: ASU

Inactive: UAH, ASU, BSU, UMD, UND, NMU, Notre Dame

Comment

Has anyone looked at how the various D-I conferences have formed and/or teams have departed? Several conferences formed simply due to multiple independents coming together. Other examples:

WCHA -> CCHA - disputes about recruiting practices
      ECAC -> Hockey East - disputes about schedule length
      CHA - NCAA stopped sanctioning Division II hockey

I don't think a BTHC is going to happen unless something major happens or a large number of Big Ten teams join D-I hockey. I don't think a BTHC will happen until there are at least eight Big Ten teams in D-I hockey. I realize that six is the minimum but I don't think there is enough draw for it to happen, especially because Minnesota will probably resist due to the TV contract. I also think that the current changes and potential changes in store for college football conferences will have a ripple effect on other college sports.

Comment

The Big Ten Killed My Baby!

******* width="480" height="385">****** name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/c8lAjmor6bg?fs=1&hl=en_US">****** name="allowFullScreen" value="true">****** name="allowscriptaccess" value="always">****** src="http://www.youtube.com/v/c8lAjmor6bg?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385">

Comment

Originally posted by Khryx View Post
          Has anyone looked at how the various D-I conferences have formed and/or teams have departed? Several conferences formed simply due to multiple independents coming together. Other examples:

WCHA -> CCHA - disputes about recruiting practices
          ECAC -> Hockey East - disputes about schedule length
          CHA - NCAA stopped sanctioning Division II hockey

I don't think a BTHC is going to happen unless something major happens or a large number of Big Ten teams join D-I hockey. I don't think a BTHC will happen until there are at least eight Big Ten teams in D-I hockey. I realize that six is the minimum but I don't think there is enough draw for it to happen, especially because Minnesota will probably resist due to the TV contract. I also think that the current changes and potential changes in store for college football conferences will have a ripple effect on other college sports.
          I'd like to agree with you, but this situation differs from the past in that the only ones determining whether a BTHC forms are the 6 BT teams that play D1 hockey.
          Right now, it's safe to say that PSU, OSU and UW all want to see it happen. All it takes is to convince one of the other three to come along, and we will see a new league in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by Stauber1 View Post
            I'd like to agree with you, but this situation differs from the past in that the only ones determining whether a BTHC forms are the 6 BT teams that play D1 hockey.
            Right now, it's safe to say that PSU, OSU and UW all want to see it happen. All it takes is to convince one of the other three to come along, and we will see a new league in the future.
            Remember everybody gets a vote in the Big Ten including non hockey playing schools. For example, if Indiana is on the fence deciding if they play hockey they can decide to cast a yes vote. Not all the schools will vote on this matter but some of them may decide to vote yes all because of the Big Ten network. IMO, this is a done deal.
            Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
            dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
            wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
              Remember everybody gets a vote in the Big Ten including non hockey playing schools. For example, if Indiana is on the fence deciding if they play hockey they can decide to cast a yes vote. Not all the schools will vote on this matter but some of them may decide to vote yes all because of the Big Ten network. IMO, this is a done deal.
              I'm a little surprised that there is debate on whether there will be a BTHC - it sure looks like a done deal to me.
              Believe it. Earn it. Raise it.

Comment

Originally posted by Siouxfaninseattle View Post
                I'm a little surprised that there is debate on whether there will be a BTHC - it sure looks like a done deal to me.
                I think there's a lot of bargaining between the faithful... but in the end, its not in our hands.
                BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
                Skating Friar Jersey
                AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Bruce McLeod was on TV during the Friday night North Dakota-Bemidji State game. He said that Jim Delany has personally told him that he fully expects to start a full-fledged BTHC by '14 or '15. McLeod said he has proposed a scheduling alliance whereby Minnesota and Wisconsin would play eight games per year against WCHA teams on a rotating basis (presumably one two-game series against four teams). If agreed upon, for example, that would mean each WCHA school would play Minnesota every 2.5 years and would get them at home once every 5 years.

Who knows if Minnesota and Wisconsin will agree to such an arrangement, or any type of scheduling alliance. Regardless, it's pretty clear that Minnesota and Wisconsin will be leaving the WCHA and some of the great college hockey rivalries will effectively come to an end.

Comment

Originally posted by mksioux View Post
                    Bruce McLeod was on TV during the Friday night North Dakota-Bemidji State game. He said that Jim Delany has personally told him that he fully expects to start a full-fledged BTHC by '14 or '15. McLeod said he has proposed a scheduling alliance whereby Minnesota and Wisconsin would play eight games per year against WCHA teams on a rotating basis (presumably one two-game series against four teams). If agreed upon, for example, that would mean each WCHA school would play Minnesota every 2.5 years and would get them at home once every 5 years.

Who knows if Minnesota and Wisconsin will agree to such an arrangement, or any type of scheduling alliance. Regardless, it's pretty clear that Minnesota and Wisconsin will be leaving the WCHA and some of the great college hockey rivalries will effectively come to an end.
                    And some great new rivalries will be formed.
                    Wisconsin - The real State of hockey.

Comment

Originally posted by VarsityWisconsin View Post
                      For Wisconsin maybe, but not for the left-behind WCHA teams. The WCHA simply goes from 12 to 10.

Comment

Denver Post

What do you think about Penn State starting a Division I program? And what about early conversation that Penn State is trying to lure Wisconsin and Minnesota away from from the WCHA? Does the WCHA need to make some early moves to protect itself? Do you predict some of the same changes in college hockey that we saw in college football?
                        --Rich

Jim and Rich, the Big Ten Conference has stated their intention to sponsor a Big Ten hockey conference once Penn State officially begins Division I play. It is estimated they would start for the 2014- 2015 season.

All six of the Big Ten hockey schools (Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State and Penn State) will be obligated to play in the Big Ten hockey conference no matter what their loyalties are to their current leagues.
                        Times are a changing.

Comment

Originally posted by mksioux View Post

Something that very, VERY few of us want.

Unfortunately, it's not put to a fan vote.

I guess Michigan will have to be our new Sioux, and oh how I hate the blue.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
                            Something that very, VERY few of us want.

Unfortunately, it's not put to a fan vote.

I guess Michigan will have to be our new Sioux, and oh how I hate the blue.
                            Who knew you hated Michigan and PSU hockey schools. lol

Comment

Originally posted by VarsityWisconsin View Post
                              Thanks, Barry.
                              **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                              Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

I love the past, present, and i will love the future of college hockey. if that means that the big ten gets their teams together, they get their teams together. I understand that it tears apart a couple of rivalries, but its creating new ones as well, and who doesn't love big ten rivalries anyways?

Comment

Working...
                                X