Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Penn State - Division I Hockey 2.0

Originally posted by Scally Lama View Post
    We actually played UAH a couple times in the 90s when they were on top of DII and were duly smoked.

Completely agree that what's happened there is an absolute travesty. Those guys have my utmost respect for fighting the good fight, as do the schools that travel down there for games - I'm thrilled that there's a chance of things working out for both schools...as of today, there's news that BTHC might be bumped up a year to 2013-14, so I hope that causes the shakeup they need.

I also hope that people remember to place blame where it belongs, with the CCHA.
    Thanks for the kind words and support. I'm all for PSU making the jump and the world of Division I hockey expanding (and hope the best for the new DI program), just have a chip on my shoulder for the team I have supported for 30 years now. Got a question, though: why does your list of PSU national championships include 1984? It was quite a nail biter, but I was there to see UAH emerge victorious that year and win their second consecutive national championship at the club level. Just curious if I'm missing something. Kindest regards, nonetheless.

Comment

Made a slight mistake, my apologies. UAH won the National Championship in Club Hockey in 1982, 1983 (over Penn State, 5-4), and 1984 (over Miami, 3-1), and lost to North Dakota State in 1985 (6-2) in the final. Saw all three in person from 1983 to 1985(1982 was played in Colorado, but I think UAH defeated Penn State for that championship, 4-3, if memory serves). Gotta give the Chargers their due, and must congratulate PSU for its plethora of National Championships, too, of course. Can't figure out the 1984 claim, though. Cheers.

Comment

Originally posted by wsp67326 View Post
        Made a slight mistake, my apologies. UAH won the National Championship in Club Hockey in 1982, 1983 (over Penn State, 5-4), and 1984 (over Miami, 3-1), and lost to North Dakota State in 1985 (6-2) in the final. Saw all three in person from 1983 to 1985(1982 was played in Colorado, but I think UAH defeated Penn State for that championship, 4-3, if memory serves). Gotta give the Chargers their due, and must congratulate PSU for its plethora of National Championships, too, of course. Can't figure out the 1984 claim, though. Cheers.

I wasn't here in '84, but the evidence is pretty clear;

*****http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5295/5427769050_5954522957.jpg******

From the Icers website:

1982-83 16-12-1 Jon Shellington National Runner-Up
        1983-84 24-15-1 Jon Shellington ACHA National Champions
        1984-85 20-11-2 Jon Shellington National Runner-Up

And add me to those who think that UAH got hosed!
        Growing old is mandatory -- growing up is optional!

Comment

Originally posted by SteveP View Post

From the Icers website:

Wow; not sure where the discrepancy lies, but, I can assure you, the National Club Hockey Championships were played in Huntsville from 1983 to 1985 with the results I noted earlier. PSU was definitely the runner-up in 1982-83, no question. But, the claims for 1984 and 1985 are, again, without question, incorrect, unless the ACHA was a separate organization in 1984 and 1985 from the tournaments I attended those years. Actually, all three years, the tournament consisted of six teams, 3 denoted as "northern" teams and the others as "southern." Each team in each group played the other team in each group once to determine a top-ranked team to move on to the national championship game. UAH played against Auburn (yes, Auburn) and Arizona in 1983 in the southern group and easily made it to the final, winning in late fashion against PSU (Bob Quaile scored on a shot that hit the PSU goalie in the chest and agonizingly rolled down his arm into the goal). In 1984, I don't even remember PSU being in the tournament (which may explain the discrepancy here, as I suspect there was a different organization at issue due to their absence from the tournament I attended), but the northern teams were Northern Arizona, Miami, and, I think, Ferris State (UAH played against Indiana and Ohio and rolled into the final with an incredible game against the Redskins, at the time, a team they had lost to twice to begin that season; they were behind the entire game 1-0, until a huge third period to win 3-1; for some reason the UAH site incorrectly lists the final game against Ohio; I assure you that is incorrect). In 1985, UAH had Delaware and Ferris State in its "southern" group and made it to the final against club hockey newbie North Dakota State. Unfortunately, a 4th straight National Championship was not to be as NDSU crushed the boys in blue in the final 6-2. So, UAH was the national runner-up in 1984-85, too. Again, PSU was not in competition at that tournament, so it would not surprise me if they had joined a different organization the previous year. I really don't know, but I do know everything I noted above. No big deal in the whole scheme of things, but I do want the Chargers to get their due (as I want PSU to get theirs, too). Regards...

Comment

According to the video (about 3 minutes in) PSU beat Arizona in Tucson in 1984.

Comment

From the Icers website:

It looks like a "Banner-gate" scandal to me. Someone obviously created a false banner given that the ACHA was far from taking shape at that time. As I understand it, the next-year tournament site was decided at the end of each tournament with the winner getting first "shot" at hosting. That's how the 1983 tournament came to Huntsville after UAH won the 1982 tournament. That means PSU would have participated in the 1984 site decision after the 1983 tournament. After winning the tournament in 1985, ND State went on to also win championships in 1986, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1991, 1993, & 1994. See http://achahockey.org/page.php?page_id=2187 and http://www.hometeamsonline.com/teams...ckey&p=records to see how that meshes with the ACHA.
              Last edited by tnlong; 02-08-2011, 06:52 PM. Reason: Added NDSU Link

Comment

Originally posted by tnlong View Post
                It looks like a "Banner-gate" scandal to me. Someone obviously created a false banner given that the ACHA was far from taking shape at that time. As I understand it, the next-year tournament site was decided at the end of each tournament with the winner getting first "shot" at hosting. That's how the 1983 tournament came to Huntsville after UAH won the 1982 tournament. That means PSU would have participated in the 1984 site decision after the 1983 tournament. After winning the tournament in 1985, ND State went on to also win championships in 1986, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1991, 1993, & 1994. See http://achahockey.org/page.php?page_id=2187 and http://www.hometeamsonline.com/teams...ckey&p=records to see how that meshes with the ACHA.
                Our webmaster, Rodney Martin, passed this info along to me:

I know that when the ACHA was formed, it recognized all the previous winners of the National Invitational Tournament. That is why it is considered an “ACHA” championship.

Our history book indicates that, indeed, Penn State lost to UAH by a score of 4-3 in the 1983 NIT in Huntsville. The next season has us winning the 1984 NIT in Arizona, 7-5 over Arizona.

Comment

Perplexing, I must say. I don't mean to open up some sort of Pandora's Box, but this is rather odd, at least to me. Considering UAH beat both PSU and Arizona at the 1983 tournament, and, being the winner in 1983, selected as the host for the tournament in 1984 (and, winning that one, hosting again in 1985; NDSU took over the hosting after that, winning it in 1985), the tournament for which PSU claims to be the National Champions in 1984 may have been an actual NIT-type event (as the PSU webmaster seems to have noted). In all seriousness, the official Club Hockey Championship was in Huntsville that year, not in Tucson. I know, it's been a long while since 1984, but, well, we Charger fans have to hold on to what we do have from the past. No offense intended to the PSU program, of course. And, again, I wish them the best as the enter DI.

Terry, either you or Douglas had photos of the programs, etc., from the tournaments on one of the threads on this site. Any chance we could get those linked here?

Comment

I'm in the position of more or less having to believe what I'm told when it comes to anything that happened in 1984 (I was 4), so I don't really have much other than "I was told we beat Arizona for the 1984 national championship" lol. Fascinating stuff from all of you, sincerely appreciated by this history geek. It's just unfortunate that so much of it has been lost except to the memories of the few who lived it.

I do know that the ACHA banners were updates of previous banners that said "National Invitation Tournament Champions" done because of the ACHA recognition of those and for uniformity's sake with 1998 and 2000-2003. For whatever that's worth.
                    Penn State: Annoying everyone in college hockey since September 17, 2010.
                    1984, 1990, 1998, 2000, 2001, 2002 and 2003 ACHA National Champions

Thank You Terry: A Penn State Hockey Blog

Comment

That's a well-made recruiting video. Star power.

Comment

Our webmaster, Rodney Martin, passed this info along to me:

"I know that when the ACHA was formed, it recognized all the previous winners of the National Invitational Tournament. That is why it is considered an “ACHA” championship.

Our history book indicates that, indeed, Penn State lost to UAH by a score of 4-3 in the 1983 NIT in Huntsville. The next season has us winning the 1984 NIT in Arizona, 7-5 over Arizona. "
                        See
                        http://home.hiwaay.net/~plong/*tnl_h...ages/programs/
                        for scans of the 1983, 1984, and 1985 National Collegiate Club Hockey Championship program covers.

Note that the 1984 program cover even has the regional champions identified. If PSU won any "championship" in AZ, it was without these regional champions.

Comment

It is beginning to look like there were two different "club" National Titles back then. Looks like UAH has claim to US National Collegiate Club Hockey Championships while Penn State has claim to the National Invitational Club Hockey Tournament. Looks like you had to win some league to be in the US National Collegiate Club Tournament, while the National Invitational Tournament was by invite.

Kind of like hoops has the NCAA Bracket and the NIT Bracket.
                          Millsy

NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
                          FROZEN FOUR 2009!

"Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
                          NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
                          NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
                          NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
                          NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
                          Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
                          Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

Comment

I haven't really been following this that closely, although I'm very happy for PSU and I think it's a good thing for college hockey in general. Have you guys began to design the arena? Are there any renderings or details online anywhere?

Comment

Originally posted by beaverhockeyfan View Post
                              Kind of like hoops has the NCAA Bracket and the NIT Bracket.
                              That's better expressed as the NCAA Championship Tournament and Consolation National Invitational Tournament. The winner of the NIT has trouble claiming to be any better than 66th.

Comment

Originally posted by bignick33 View Post
                                I haven't really been following this that closely, although I'm very happy for PSU and I think it's a good thing for college hockey in general. Have you guys began to design the arena? Are there any renderings or details online anywhere?
                                Nothing official yet. The architects and construction management company were in town all last week for meetings. Core sample drilling at the site is underway.

This shows the location of the arena

*****http://www.gopsusports.com/blog/ice-facility-sitemap-091710.jpg******

Comment

Working...
                                X