X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Douglas
    replied
    Re: Declaring Our Independence: UAH 2010-11, Part the First

The sweaters/jerseys have shipped today and they are "supposed" to go overnight so, hopefully, they will be here tomorrow before the team leaves for Bowling Green. Don't know about the bags and other equipment but one would hope they're not far behind.

I'll be going with them on this trip to shoot this upcoming weekend's games. If the hotel's ISP will allow FTP's I'll have some photos posted of Friday's game. If not, it will probably have to wait until about Tuesday.

I'll make one more point about practices... as I drummed into my grandson during his 14 year hockey career; the last place you want to slack off is in practice. Where do you think the coach's determine who looks the best, who gives the best effort, and who gets the start? I've seen highly skilled players that give their "all" 40% of the time ride the bench behind an "ok/good" player that gives his "all" 100% of the time. That leads me to the goalies once more... and that is this: if you save your best stuff for the games, and let in way too many in practice, you may not get a timely shot at showing your best stuff in a game. You better show your best stuff all the time... it's a competition for the top spot; don't ever forget that.
    Last edited by Douglas; 10-19-2010, 05:03 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Back check
    replied

Originally posted by JP1
    You said what I did only much, much more tactfully. Tact not my strong suit. Understatement I know.

Only thing I would add is that with goalies, working "harder" does not always equal working "smarter" (or being better in game situations for that matter). I was at the Kohl Center for Friday's game and noted that both young men were not the most efficient in their movements at times, and against a good puck moving/shooting team that can be the difference between making a save or not. The best goalies, like Roy and Broduer, make it look easy most of the time.
    Looks like great facilities at Wisconsin. Did you take in the Ferris State games as well?

Leave a comment:

• Back check
    replied

There are also other issues that I'm aware of that I don't feel at liberty to discuss since I'm not one who should be discussing them which makes me concerned.

??? Not sure what this means.

Don't need to know what you don't wan't to discuss, but I don't understand the last part of your sentence.

Good luck to the guys at Bowling Green.

Leave a comment:

• jyoung
    replied

I'm aware of what Coach said, I was at the BLC meeting. I am also aware of what happens once the season begins. Like Doug said, everyone has the opportunity to earn their way back onto a team, but that hasn't stopped a coach from RS a gifted player because they're just not ready or they want to preserve eligibility (which happens).

I'm not advocating the red shirt, I am inquiring because I have played sports (more on the bench than not admittedly), and I know that decisions are made at all stages of the season regarding key positions. Early or late makes no difference, there will always be second guessing of any timing or decision regardless.

Valid questions that have been raised regarding the equipment given the state of our jerseys the last couple weeks. I'm not aware of any issue, but that doesn't mean there couldn't be one.

There are also other issues that I'm aware of that I don't feel at liberty to discuss since I'm not one who should be discussing them which makes me concerned.

And for heaven's sake, it's just a question inspired by my wife who wanted to know because she was surprised given a conversation had on Friday about what was going on in goal. (I admit to not having watched the game, being out with some other friends, having not known about the broadcast before making the plans.)

Leave a comment:

• MikeAnderson
    replied

Originally posted by JP1
    and why should I offer anything more to an internet moron who throws such crazy speculation out after only 4 games?
    If that's your attitude, why set up an account to make just these two posts? Just continue to lurk and feel content in your smug superiority to the rest of us plebians.

It wouldn't shock me if there was more to the equipment issue than just the jerseys...maybe Groh's gear is out of specs and there's been a delay in getting him regulation equipment (I assume there are still some differences in what's allowable for goalies between Jr. A and NCAA).

Leave a comment:

• Back check
    replied

jyoung - Coach Luongo said before the season started that all goalies would get their opportunities.

To date the Chargers have been outshot 70-36 @ home vs. Ferris State and 73-37 @ Wisconsin.

Any news on the injury or eligibilty front?

Leave a comment:

• Douglas
    replied

JMHO - But I think it's entirely too early in the season for any of this "who's the goalie" kind of speculation. Let's face it, usually, the first shots go to those who show the most promise/hard work/enthusiasm/attitude in practice. And since the NCAA doesn't allow very much coach participated practice before the season officially starts there isn't a lot of time to evaluate anyone completely in such a short time. Therefore, someone is going to start first and get a few games in for evaluation before the next in line gets a shot. If that first guy shows good early he may stay there for awhile before the next gets their turn. All this jumping to conclusions after only three games is simply ridiculous. Let's let this play out a while and we'll find out who ends up getting the full-time job, if platooning isn't chosen later on.

I know this, having been an athlete myself in ancient times, if I got beat out for a game or position I worked even harder in practices and with attitude to try to work myself back into the top spot. Sometimes you make it and sometimes you don't. That's life. There are no guarantee's, you usually have to earn your spot or at least patiently await your turn in the sun...

Leave a comment:

• gfmorris
    replied

Originally posted by MikeAnderson View Post
    PPGs are always encouraging given our anemic PP over the past 2-3 years.
    Danton was texting me for game updates Sunday, and I thought about giving him a hard time and telling him that Lou's power play beat the hell out of his.

And no, the only goalie with a red shirt is Griggs from 2009-10.

GFM

Leave a comment:

• jyoung
    replied

Originally posted by JP1
    and why should I offer anything more to an internet moron who throws such crazy speculation out after only 4 games?
    That was a completely uncalled for response to a perfectly valid inquiry, regardless of whether or not you agree with it.

Many of us expected to see Groh take the ice when Saunders was lit up for five on Friday, and when he wasn't put in there was, yes, speculation as to the reasoning behind Coach's decision. It is perfectly reasonable to consider the long term implications of three goalies all with 4 years of eligibility from this point in time. Either someone leaves early, or someone sits, otherwise the team is left without a goalie in a few years and the end result is we don't have a replacement ready to take the net over when the time comes. UAH isn't planning to fold, so long term planning in goal is something we should be considering. And the red shirt, last I checked the rules, can be declared at any point during the season, leaving Coach a lot of room to not invoke it if something were to happen to one of the other two goalies.

Also 4/32 = 12.5% of the season. (Excluding exhibition games), which while early isn't unusual in sports when it comes to determining who is going to sit for the season.

Leave a comment:

• jyoung
    replied

Originally posted by JP1
    Won't happen
    Care to elaborate on that assessment?

(Sorry, haven't a clue who you are off-hand, so forgive me if I don't take a statement without something a little more substantive than a 'said so'.)

Leave a comment:

• jyoung
    replied

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
    Big scrum at the end. Amazingly, Seabass was not involved.

GFM
    Amazing indeed. But a question:

Are they going to Red Shirt Groh? With Saunders starting again, and Griggs having already been RS last year (and seeing limited action this year already), does this seem to be the plan?

Leave a comment:

• MikeAnderson
    replied

Originally posted by Douglas View Post
    Sunday final: UAH 2 UW 5
    Two PP goals by Fairbanks and Easton
    PPGs are always encouraging given our anemic PP over the past 2-3 years.

Leave a comment:

• beaverhockeyfan
    replied

Originally posted by MikeAnderson View Post
    This makes it all better.

Katherine Rebekah on Twitpic

Katherine Rebekah Anderson. Born on my final birthday, October 15, 2010.
    Congrats Mike!!!!! Enjoy the sleepless nights, I know I am right now!!!

Leave a comment:

• gfmorris
    replied

Big scrum at the end. Amazingly, Seabass was not involved.

GFM

Leave a comment:

• Douglas
    replied

Sunday final: UAH 2 UW 5
    Two PP goals by Fairbanks and Easton

Leave a comment:

Working...
X