• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jyoung
    replied
    Re: Declaring Our Independence: UAH 2010-11, Part the First

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
    I don't know that it matters what the Huntsville community thinks. It does matter what the student body thinks. If it's presented incorrectly, it's bad execution of a good idea.

GFM <-- thinks UAH has to stop being a commuter school to go to the next level.
    "bad execution of a good idea"

Yeah that sums up a lot of things. The other half has to do with communication, or lack thereof. But I'm not going to continue this thought since it's not the right forum for it. The President and the Provost are well aware of my opinions on the matter.

Leave a comment:

• jyoung
    replied

I always love military night, I just wish they'd sit more around the bowl than in just the two sections. Heck I'd love it if they'd bring another couple thousand too. Toy toss seems to have done well though, which is good.

As for the game? Third period heroics prevent it from being a complete blowout. I wish we'd converted on that 5 on 3, and drive it into OT but alas. Bobby Mo had us down 4-0, and it might have been 5-0 had a goal not been called back for violation of the crease. We're still not playing 60 minutes. Saw more than a few times were we let three get down in behind the goal, on two RMU players, the result was frequently a break-away for RMU as they shuttled the puck back up the boards and out to center. Still, some occasional glimpses of the team we should be, at least in the third.

Any word on Bruni? He came off the ice injured for a bit near the end and sat on the bench for a while before returning to the game. I think he missed at least a shift, possibly two. Fairbanks was already out, shoulder issues is what I was told.

Leave a comment:

• gfmorris
    replied

Originally posted by jyoung View Post
    The administration doesn't see itself as a commuter school. The community and the student body do, and have disagreed rather openly about this. Hence the cause of much conflict between the administration and the students over these policies which the students feel are completely inappropriate and rather draconian, and often made under bad premises. Some of us were more vocal than others.

I'll stop now before I launch into ranting.
    I don't know that it matters what the Huntsville community thinks. It does matter what the student body thinks. If it's presented incorrectly, it's bad execution of a good idea.

GFM <-- thinks UAH has to stop being a commuter school to go to the next level.

Leave a comment:

• jyoung
    replied

Originally posted by UAHStatman View Post
    I don't think UAH sees itself as a commuter school (or at least not as much of one), considering its recent building of on-campus housing and the requirement of single freshmen and sophomores to live on it.
    The administration doesn't see itself as a commuter school. The community and the student body do, and have disagreed rather openly about this. Hence the cause of much conflict between the administration and the students over these policies which the students feel are completely inappropriate and rather draconian, and often made under bad premises. Some of us were more vocal than others.

I'll stop now before I launch into ranting.

Leave a comment:

• gfmorris
    replied

Originally posted by UAHStatman View Post
    I don't think UAH sees itself as a commuter school (or at least not as much of one), considering its recent building of on-campus housing and the requirement of single freshmen and sophomores to live on it.
    This is a recent and, to me, welcome development.

We have a confluence of negative factors that are making it look dire, but I am not worried. The president is for the program, and that means with this president that the Board of Trustees is for it. [The students widely regard Williams as the BoT's puppet, much in the way the UAB ones were a decade ago.] There is still financial support from long-time boosters. D-I schools are still scheduling UAH.

GFM

Leave a comment:

• UAHStatman
    replied

I honestly don't know what the students' excuse for hockey games is. It's not like you're driving across town, and besides, aren't we a **** commuter school? Also, the argument that Greeks are to be the leading group of students at the university is absolutely laughable when it comes to supporting our flagship sport. They show up for the first home game and when Homecoming ceremonies are held at hockey. Otherwise, it's inconsistent as a group. Some organizations are better at it than others. Some organizations have even scheduled parties against hockey games.

Unless the Greeks have become semi-regulars at basketball games, they have never been consistent in supporting any UAH sport. (By the way, I notice Homecoming is in April this time -- unless they want to have it at baseball or softball, it would seem there would be no athletics involved. That doesn't seem right to me.)

Leave a comment:

• gmann
    replied

As long as the rest of D-1 is willing to schedule us. The instant they decide it's not worth it, we're in a heap of trouble. We'd obviously prefer to have a conference to call home, but the big thing is just getting the number of games. I think we offer enough as a school to still interest players beyond just playing. (Not the least of which is the benefit of wearing shorts in November and December.)
    Thanks. If any of the UAH faithful is wondering...............Yes I still hate Huntsville!

Leave a comment:

• jyoung
    replied

Originally posted by gmann View Post
    Hopefully the wind will shift from the other direction soon. If not, how long can this program remain viable?
    As long as the rest of D-1 is willing to schedule us. The instant they decide it's not worth it, we're in a heap of trouble. We'd obviously prefer to have a conference to call home, but the big thing is just getting the number of games. I think we offer enough as a school to still interest players beyond just playing. (Not the least of which is the benefit of wearing shorts in November and December.)

Leave a comment:

• gmann
    replied

Lots of headwinds.
    GFM
    Hopefully the wind will shift from the other direction soon. If not, how long can this program remain viable?

Leave a comment:

• gfmorris
    replied

I honestly don't know what the students' excuse for hockey games is. It's not like you're driving across town, and besides, aren't we a **** commuter school? Also, the argument that Greeks are to be the leading group of students at the university is absolutely laughable when it comes to supporting our flagship sport. They show up for the first home game and when Homecoming ceremonies are held at hockey. Otherwise, it's inconsistent as a group. Some organizations are better at it than others. Some organizations have even scheduled parties against hockey games.

This year, the schedule has been bad for student support. The first series was during Fall Break [a vestigial bit of time off from a quarter system that ended 15 years ago], and both this weekend and the NYE games will happen when students are out of town. Home attendance has always been better in the second half of the season when you're not fighting college football interest, but getting home games after Christmas is hard when we really only have a six-week window for doing so.

Lots of headwinds.

GFM

Leave a comment:

• jyoung
    replied

Originally posted by moose97 View Post
    With Bemidji State moving off campus this year, they started offering "free" (i.e. paid for with student fees) buses to games. Any chance of something like that happening?
    I don't think so. We have had a terrible time getting our SGA to be consistent about supporting the team, including arranging things like this. We've had several game trips fall through because of SGA inaction / inefficiency.

Leave a comment:

• moose97
    replied

The last problem is that transportation to the arena for the campus students is more hassle than not,
    With Bemidji State moving off campus this year, they started offering "free" (i.e. paid for with student fees) buses to games. Any chance of something like that happening?

Leave a comment:

• gfmorris
    replied

I've no idea what the PR person is doing. Though I think we're doing a toys-for-tots thing this weekend. Geof, you have any details on that?
    ******* width="640" height="505">****** name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/cdPDr7uts2o?fs=1&hl=en_US">****** name="allowFullScreen" value="true">****** name="allowscriptaccess" value="always">****** src="http://www.youtube.com/v/cdPDr7uts2o?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="505">

Leave a comment:

• jyoung
    replied

The president so far seems set on the course at least for a few years as an I-1. He at least attends the games (if often only for part of them). The provost is pretty good about attending too, which is a decent sign. Yeah I've seen some of the long term plans, and they have (in the past) included some multi-purpose space which would include an ice surface.

The bigger question is, can we start to get people back in the seats. Attendance has been dismal, you're absolutely right. Student support is tepid, and that's being optimistic. Our games are too erratic and the home series are often while the students are on break (At least 6 home games so far this season including this coming weekend). Renovating the VBC hasn't helped (needed but inconvenient). It makes it a chore to get to your seats. The last problem is that transportation to the arena for the campus students is more hassle than not, and we don't seem to get much carry over from the Havoc's success last year.

I've no idea what the PR person is doing. Though I think we're doing a toys-for-tots thing this weekend. Geof, you have any details on that?

Leave a comment:

• Douglas
    replied

Hmmmmm...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X