• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Douglas
    replied
    Re: Declaring Our Independence: UAH 2010-11, Part the First

Originally posted by jyoung View Post
    So, most of us were in the lower bowl and it looks to be that way for the rest of the season.

Thoughts on whether or not it improved the atmosphere for the game?

I know my box has a couple of us who attempt to be vocal. Attendance has been erratic and the loudest of us have each missed series this season, so it's been a while since our box was yelling at full volume. Granted, the air got sucked out of our box after the incident Friday, but I think we all understand why.

Old section 24 moved down to 202 and was a bit louder than they've been in a while since Geof was back after missing a couple games.

Other thoughts? Doug, you move around the stadium more than most, so you might have the best feel for how the noise levels are working.
    As to the Section 24, er, 202 noise level, I could hear it from each of the places I shoot: high in the lower bowl, from the bench, and around the glass near the Zamboni doors - where you could hear it the loudest because you are the closest. I've been too lazy to climb up to the catwalks for those shots lately. Plus, you don't get to see much from up there due to all of the metal work in the way.

As for the Brock Higgs incident, I noticed in the first Record (local RPI area paper?) account they credited their trainer with saving the day. I was on the bench when it occured and they (the RPI players etc) were yelling at our bench and trainer for some help. Our bench trainer that night was Josh and he immediately responded to their bench. I didn't see if he actually did anything as was previously mentioned, a rolled towel was used to apply pressure to the severed jugular for immediate bleeding control. Our team doctor also responded from the stands and was right behind Higgs as he was taken back into the medical room for evaluation and treatment. Our doctor, upon seeing the injury, made the immediate determination that, other than controlling the bleeding and having the HEMSI EMT's start fluid resusitation, he needed to go to the ER for emergency trauma treatment. It was estimated that he lost around 2 units of blood rapidly but he never lost consiousness. Our doctor and Brock's mother (a real trooper I might add, calm, cool, and collected) rode to the hospital with him.

At the hospital I know he was stabilized and expected to undergo a CT angiogram to make sure the carotid artery was not damaged before heading to surgery. Luckily, it was not damaged; he underwent surgery and was released the next day. A tribute to both his constitution and our medical services. In the Record's next day report they did credit our high-quality medical care for his well being. He's expected to make a full recovery but will probably be out for a few weeks. It is also expected that he will not be allowed to fly as the pressure differential he would encounter could cause him complications with his repaired jugular vein. I suppose he will either take a bus or be driven home.

I and, I'm sure, all of the fans, staff, and players of both teams wish him a full and speedy recovery.

Leave a comment:

• jyoung
    replied

So, most of us were in the lower bowl and it looks to be that way for the rest of the season.

Thoughts on whether or not it improved the atmosphere for the game?

I know my box has a couple of us who attempt to be vocal. Attendance has been erratic and the loudest of us have each missed series this season, so it's been a while since our box was yelling at full volume. Granted, the air got sucked out of our box after the incident Friday, but I think we all understand why.

Old section 24 moved down to 202 and was a bit louder than they've been in a while since Geof was back after missing a couple games.

Other thoughts? Doug, you move around the stadium more than most, so you might have the best feel for how the noise levels are working.

Leave a comment:

• gfmorris
    replied

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
    Also, the teammate who helped Higgs off the ice, Alex Angers-Goulet, intends to go to medical school after he graduates. His father is a doctor, and his brother, Matt A-G (RPI '09), is in medical school.
    The whole bench moved out on it very quickly. They did a great, great job. It was pretty great to see that in the midst of something very, very serious.

Bailen is credited with the goal in the box. Helfrich was credited with it as a deflection in the game story.

Hey Ralph, are you down here?

GFM

Leave a comment:

• jyoung
    replied

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
    Also, the teammate who helped Higgs off the ice, Alex Angers-Goulet, intends to go to medical school after he graduates. His father is a doctor, and his brother, Matt A-G (RPI '09), is in medical school.
    I wish him the best with that. It's good to know that he's that aware, he'll make a good physician one day.

Leave a comment:

• jyoung
    replied

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
    Okay, so thoughts on the game ...

5. The boxscore has Bailen scoring on that softball he tossed at the end of the 2nd, but I've seen game stories that say Helfrich tipped it. Either way, I didn't see it because I was watching Bailen get checked into the glass.

GFM
    I couldn't tell you who actually got the goal, but I'd say it was the player getting checked, so that would be Bailen. The puck kind of hit the pad and made a weird bounce/redirect where it just popped enough to skip over and in. Really odd goal and one I'm sure Griggs would love back.

Leave a comment:

• Ralph Baer
    replied

Originally posted by jyoung View Post
    *nod* I knew this, but I sit next to the physician who responded to the injury and we were in prime position to see the damage sitting behind their bench. It's good to know that our over-educated fan-base includes some medical doctors. It's nights like that where I am very thankful that people in our medical community takes their oaths to help others so seriously. I think the smartest person though was Brock himself who knew immediately that it was bad, and knew to put some pressure on it right away. His teammate followed suit with a towel even before the medical folks could move over there. No one likes seeing these injuries happen.

Leave a comment:

• jyoung
    replied

For those who haven't heard otherwise: RPI's Brock Higgs caught a teammate's skate blade under his chin. It just missed his carotid artery. He was headed to surgery around 10:45pm, and interim AD Antoine Bell is there with Brock's family, who had made the trip. Very scary moment, and I'm glad that it's not as bad as it could have been.
    *nod* I knew this, but I sit next to the physician who responded to the injury and we were in prime position to see the damage sitting behind their bench. It's good to know that our over-educated fan-base includes some medical doctors. It's nights like that where I am very thankful that people in our medical community takes their oaths to help others so seriously. I think the smartest person though was Brock himself who knew immediately that it was bad, and knew to put some pressure on it right away. His teammate followed suit with a towel even before the medical folks could move over there. No one likes seeing these injuries happen.

Leave a comment:

• gfmorris
    replied

Okay, so thoughts on the game ...

1. The PPG was kinda funny: Johnny pushes it up to Bax, who hits Durnie with a pass. RPI clogged up the neutral zone on the PK all night, so Tom found a seam and skated in. He sees two guys crashing the net and throws it to the net, hoping to get off of York's pads for a rebound from one of the two guys slashing into the slot. Tom was below the dashes and a couple feet from the boards, and instead of going up front, it ended up behind York. There was a 4-6 inch seam and the puck found it.

2. Physical game, and the Engineers slowed down to our pace. I saw them get a couple odd-man rushes, but they didn't hustle through.

3. Our guys had a few decent even-strength opportunities but nothing would go in the net.

4. Four power-play opportunities for RPI in the second and they got one shot on net. One.

5. The boxscore has Bailen scoring on that softball he tossed at the end of the 2nd, but I've seen game stories that say Helfrich tipped it. Either way, I didn't see it because I was watching Bailen get checked into the glass.

GFM

Leave a comment:

• gfmorris
    replied

For those who haven't heard otherwise: RPI's Brock Higgs caught a teammate's skate blade under his chin. It just missed his carotid artery. He was headed to surgery around 10:45pm, and interim AD Antoine Bell is there with Brock's family, who had made the trip. Very scary moment, and I'm glad that it's not as bad as it could have been.

Leave a comment:

• gfmorris
    replied

Originally posted by Douglas View Post
    He also mentioned there were 4 or 5 schools seriously interested in DI hockey and that he could easily see three of them doing it. That is encouraging but there was no timeframe mentioned. It would really help us if they could decide and would announce their intentions within the next 1 to 3 years and be playing DI hockey in 2 to 5. That would sure fit in with potential league realignments needed when BTHC arrives in about 3 years (my prediction). Definitely nice to hear that there are schools seriously exploring DI hockey. Now the speculation can begin as to who they are???
    Here's the problem with said expansion: name schools that do it out West are going to be BTHC schools, and second-tier programs are going to struggle to get in a league. If the CCHA survives intact in a post-BTHC world, there's a place for them to go.

GFM

Leave a comment:

• Douglas
    replied

He also mentioned there were 4 or 5 schools seriously interested in DI hockey and that he could easily see three of them doing it. That is encouraging but there was no timeframe mentioned. It would really help us if they could decide and would announce their intentions within the next 1 to 3 years and be playing DI hockey in 2 to 5. That would sure fit in with potential league realignments needed when BTHC arrives in about 3 years (my prediction). Definitely nice to hear that there are schools seriously exploring DI hockey. Now the speculation can begin as to who they are???

Leave a comment:

• gfmorris
    replied

Originally posted by UAHStatman View Post
    I wouldn't expect him to know, either. College Hockey Inc. can advise programs and market the college game, but they really can't actually do anything to help UAH, can they? Hence, I would think Mr. Kelly wouldn't know any more about UAH or conference realignment than we would.
    Kelly is reasonably well-connected, and while I expect that he knows about things that he can't say, his response indicates that things are still up in the air. The first part of his answer tells me that the Western super-conference concept is still at least being discussed, although I've always thought it wishcasting on the part of non-BTHC CCHA coaches. When the nature of the BTHC is known, everyone out west will be reacting along with UAH.

Kelly's comment about UAH does indicate that the general sentiment is that being an independent is an untenable long-term situation in today's college hockey landscape, and I don't think that any UAH coach, player, or fan would argue with that. A post-BTHC CCHA can go a number of ways, and I'm betting that it won't be well-orchestrated, unlike WCHA expansion.

GFM

Leave a comment:

• UAHStatman
    replied

Translation: "We don't have one ********** clue how this is going to shake out."

Skate with the Chargers tonight from 6-8p at the Iceplex.

GFM
    I wouldn't expect him to know, either. College Hockey Inc. can advise programs and market the college game, but they really can't actually do anything to help UAH, can they? Hence, I would think Mr. Kelly wouldn't know any more about UAH or conference realignment than we would.

Leave a comment:

• gfmorris
    replied

Translation: "We don't have one ********** clue how this is going to shake out."

Skate with the Chargers tonight from 6-8p at the Iceplex.

GFM

Leave a comment:

• Back check
    replied

Paul Kelly of College Hockey Inc. says:

" My sense, from what I’m hearing, is that the Big Ten will start a hockey conference. Whether that’s motivated by their television interests or other factors, I’m not exactly sure. But I think at some point, and maybe we’re talking five years down the road, but at some point I do think you will see a Big Ten conference.

My concern is that if the big schools come together to form a conference that it could leave the smaller schools in a precarious position. We don’t want to leave the smaller programs that have been loyal participants in the Division I landscape over the years to find themselves on the outside looking in without a conference alignment that they can sell to their fan base.

We’re such a unique sport in the sense that we have some many schools that do not play Division I in any other sport and yet they play Division I hockey. You have tiny little schools playing against massive programs — schools like Ohio State and Michigan playing against Ferris State and Northern Michigan. We’re unique in the sporting landscape. We do want to add new programs but at the same time we don’t want to lose any. "

JC: On that note, what do you hear about the situation at Alabama-Huntsville? Is that a program that still is remaining strong?

PK: " Unfortunately, we had the news recently of the sudden death of their athletic director (Jim Harris). He was such a positive moving force and a supporter for college hockey. I truly hope that somebody will step in and pick up the momentum there.

It’s difficult for a school that is geographically isolated by itself down there in the southeast. People think Alabama and they think they’re down on the Gulf Coast. In fact, Huntsville is not that far south. It’s not a whole further south than some of our existing programs.

We are concerned that Huntsville is not left out there by itself. Our programs have been good about scheduling Alabama-Huntsville and working with them. But, ultimately, it will be in the interest of the sport and the interest of Alabama-Huntsville to be aligned with a conference at some point. Which conference that will be? It’s too early to tell. They’ve got a great coach doing a great job in difficult circumstances and we will do whatever we can to help make sure they continue to stay strong.
    "
    Last edited by Back check; 12-29-2010, 05:06 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X