• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jyoung
    replied
    Re: Declaring Our Independence: UAH 2010-11, Part the First

Originally posted by chargersupporter View Post
    Shots were 29-8 against after two periods in 1st game - we couldn't have been playing well on Friday either.
    Shot totals can be misleading, since I recall more than a few shots that didn't get counted because they were blocked or got redirected before reaching the net. Saunders stood on his head early to keep us in, and they slacked off a bit until late in the second as we got into an actual rhythm. Still you're right, we certainly were out shot, but being out shot doesn't mean losing. I've watched Detroit put up 50 shots in a night and get blown out by a team with half the shots.

The energy was, for those first 35 minutes, far better than we've seen at the VBC and the shot choices were better when they took them. I'm not saying that we glimpsed greatness, just that this team could be taken far more seriously on the national stage. If we played consistently for 60 minutes and with that improved energy? We might be far closer to .500 than we are right now. We've yet to see the guys put in a 60 minute game though. Either they start late or finish early. Shortened benches don't help, but it doesn't explain it completely either.

We certainly need to just shoot the puck more, but at least a couple times we actually fought for it around the crease. That's an improvement over what I've seen all year. Normally we just allow their goalies to cough up rebounds and then skate off with it rather than attempting banking it in. We've been bad about keeping a guy on the door step to cause havoc. We really should, but usually we have three behind the goal line, and then our D gets had by a 3-2 the other way.

We're never going to be a high shot team with this line up and a defensive minded coach, but we need to start getting more aggressive with the shots rather than just looking for the perfect shot. As the saying goes, if you put the puck on net eventually good things happen. Too much of our time was spent passing (poorly) between the blue line and boards rather than ever taking a shot, it was just far worse in Saturday's game than Friday's. We also had more than a few fans on the puck both evenings which were good shots, and no I don't have an explanation as to why we missed those.

Puck control was an issue both nights, as it always seems to be. We're not crisp in our passing and we're allowing them to poke check us too easily. It's not helping the number of times we allow it to slip behind the blue line when we do have pressure. We consistently don't sustain pressure because of these mental slips.

What is the point of dumping if you're not going to chase? Not that we're fast enough to play dump and chase and win against many teams. Worse, we tend to just line change and give up the puck so we're constantly on our heels. We had a couple of times where a forward moved in with a good opportunity but without any support and it caused a turnover and another shift back in our defensive zone rather than in the offensive zone.

(I'm on cold medicine and rambling... sorry if this wanders kind of aimlessly.)

Leave a comment:

• RENCEB
    replied

Merrimack fan here. I listened Friday niight, and it sounded like Saunders was playing out of his mind. MC goalie Cannata had an off nite. Saturday, well the MC offense got it cranked up. This is probably the best team that Merrimack has ever had, much stronger than you might have seen only 2 or 3 years ago.
    Best of luck to the Chargers the rest of the way.

Leave a comment:

• Back check
    replied

Originally posted by jyoung View Post
    We feel shame...

I'm sorry there's no nice way to put things after that display on Saturday. Friday we glimpsed what the team could be, at least for 35 minutes, but Saturday? I've no idea. I don't blame Bruni for wanting off that ice and away from the spotlight as quickly as possible. It was painful and depressing. We stayed, the entire game, but that can't be said for a lot of other fans. Our row emptied out by the end of the second, and it wasn't the only one. That kind of loss cannot be blamed on youth or inexperience. That label wore thin a while ago, but there certainly was a lack of cohesion on the ice. Burkie, and the other captains, along with the coaching staff have got to get the players back to being a team on the ice because what I saw on Saturday was a bunch of players, not a team. The players aren't deserving of vitriol for it, but I certainly can see some pretty solid criticisms of how that game was played. Hopefully the guys can pick themselves up once more, dust themselves off, and go surprise Colorado College.
    Shots were 29-8 against after two periods in 1st game - we couldn't have been playing well on Friday either.

Leave a comment:

• jyoung
    replied

We feel shame...

I'm sorry there's no nice way to put things after that display on Saturday. Friday we glimpsed what the team could be, at least for 35 minutes, but Saturday? I've no idea. I don't blame Bruni for wanting off that ice and away from the spotlight as quickly as possible. It was painful and depressing. We stayed, the entire game, but that can't be said for a lot of other fans. Our row emptied out by the end of the second, and it wasn't the only one. That kind of loss cannot be blamed on youth or inexperience. That label wore thin a while ago, but there certainly was a lack of cohesion on the ice. Burkie, and the other captains, along with the coaching staff have got to get the players back to being a team on the ice because what I saw on Saturday was a bunch of players, not a team. The players aren't deserving of vitriol for it, but I certainly can see some pretty solid criticisms of how that game was played. Hopefully the guys can pick themselves up once more, dust themselves off, and go surprise Colorado College.

Leave a comment:

• gfmorris
    replied

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
    I hope the boys bounce back with the short turn. I'm driving up this morning to watch.
    I was until I ran into car trouble. No way my truck is in shape to drive up and back, so I'm at home with one decrepit vehicle and one sick one. Alas.

GFM

Leave a comment:

• Back check
    replied

As inexperienced as the Chargers are this year, they will be even more so next. Assuming they will get the roster up to 26 or so, they will need around eight new recruits for next year (assuming everybody comes back). That will mean 20 out of 26 players will be freshmen or sophomores in the 2011-2012 season.
    Last edited by Back check; 01-15-2011, 10:11 AM.

Leave a comment:

• gfmorris
    replied

Chris Heisenberg's 2011 recruiting list indicates that the OJHL's Oakville Braves' Kyle Lysaght will be a Charger come next season. Lysaght is from Marietta, GA, and he's been a consistent scorer in the OJHL: 26-23--49 in 56GP last season, and 26-19--45 through 37GP this season. Welcome, Kyle.

GFM

Leave a comment:

• gfmorris
    replied

AUGH, that collapse was painful. I'm sure that it was worse in person. Four goals in exactly ten minutes from the one in the late second to the first three in the third ... ouch. Everything I heard on the Merrimack broadcast indicated that the Warriors were getting foiled at every turn by Saunders. Did the chances just improve late?

I hope the boys bounce back with the short turn. I'm driving up this morning to watch.

GFM

Leave a comment:

• gfmorris
    replied

Enjoy the trip, Doug.

GFM

Leave a comment:

• Douglas
    replied

The team is just about to leave for Nashville... itinerary says 6:30 pm, about 6 minutes from now. I'll be heading up tomorrow as I'd rather spend the night in my own bed. I'll meet the team at the arena a couple of hours before game time. Should be an interesting time. Hope we can hold our own against what is turning out to be a killer team in Merrimack. Depends on the hotel's upload speeds as to whether I will be able to post any pics Saturday morning... See you there!

Leave a comment:

• MikeAnderson
    replied

Originally posted by jyoung View Post
    Hey, heads up to those coming to Nashville for the games. I've got an e-mail telling me that a number of parking lots in the area aren't going to be open this weekend with the swearing in of the new Governor and State Speaker. I suspect they're mostly government employee lots but the e-mail with the details is on my work computer not this one. In any case this may make parking for Bridgestone a bit more creative than some would like.
    Funny you should mention Nashville. I just got an e-mail from the Predators offering free-ish* tickets for both games this weekend. If you haven't bought up yet and you subscribe to the Preds email list, you might wanna check it out.

* -ish meaning there is an $0.82 Ticketmaster charge.

Leave a comment:

• jyoung
    replied

Hey, heads up to those coming to Nashville for the games. I've got an e-mail telling me that a number of parking lots in the area aren't going to be open this weekend with the swearing in of the new Governor and State Speaker. I suspect they're mostly government employee lots but the e-mail with the details is on my work computer not this one. In any case this may make parking for Bridgestone a bit more creative than some would like.

Leave a comment:

• Douglas
    replied

Originally posted by beaverhockeyfan View Post
    I don't have any of those type. I figure I can see well enough yet that I don't need the optical "enhancement"
    Oooooooo... burn!

Leave a comment:

• gfmorris
    replied

Originally posted by beaverhockeyfan View Post
    No one is going to be able to make the drive from Huntsville to Nashville anyway. It sounds like the world is ending down there......
    Pretty much. Hockey team might have to skate to Nashville. Good for the endurance, I guess.

GFM

Leave a comment:

• beaverhockeyfan
    replied

Originally posted by Douglas View Post
    Hey Millsy - You wanna send down here some of those yellow and orange golf balls... with all this white stuff around I think I'm going to need them... This stuff is ruining my Monday golf day!!! ...and I can't find my balls... golf balls that is...
    I don't have any of those type. I figure I can see well enough yet that I don't need the optical "enhancement"

Leave a comment:

Working...
X