• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tnlong
    replied
    Re: Declaring Our Independence: UAH 2010-11, Part the First

Originally posted by wsp67326 View Post
    Douglas and Terry, check out the Penn State - Div I 2.0 thread. Do you have any insight as to the Penn State claim to the ACHA national championship in 1984 and runner-up in 1985? You two should remember our boys won in 1984 (against Miami) and lost to NDSU (ugh) in 1985. Was ACHA a different organization way back when from the one that ran the tournament we all attended at the VBCC? Curiously, PSU WAS the runner-up (to UAH) in 1983, and that is correctly listed. So, I'm a bit mystified by this. Want the Chargers to get their due.
    In 1983, the "U. S. National Club Ice Hockey Tournament" was hosted by the VBCC in Huntsville. It was billed as the "U. S. National Collegiate Club Hockey Championships" in 1984 and 1985 when also hosted in Huntsville.

In 1983, UAH, OH U., Auburn U., U. of AZ, Miami of OH, and Penn State participated. UAH won the final against Penn State 5-4. I "think" I remember the UAH winning goal against Penn State as though it was yesterday. With little time left in regulation, the Penn State goalie had played an amazing game even though he had surrendered four goals. Then, he gets hit in the chest with a wicked shot that roles down his left arm, off his glove, onto the ice, across the line, and into the corner of the goal. It was almost in slow motion like in a movie.

In 1984, UAH, IN U., OH U. , N. AZ U., Miami of OH, and Eastern MI U. participated. I believe wsp67326 is correct with the 3/3 and 3/5 games being transposed in the records. However, I'll provide more on that in a later post.

In 1985, UAH, Ferris State, Miami of OH, N. Dakota State, N. AZ. U., and U. of DE participated. With N. Dakota State beating UAH in the final, the most memorable part of the weekend was N. Dakota State's skating cheerleaders.

UAH also won the 1982 "club championship" tournament. I think those games were in CO and UAH defeated Penn State in one of the rounds there.
    Last edited by tnlong; 02-08-2011, 04:47 PM. Reason: Correcting Error in Memory

Leave a comment:

• wsp67326
    replied

Originally posted by beaverhockeyfan View Post
    Interesting.... The ACHA wasn't founded until 1991 according to their website. Before that, I believe it was called National Club Hockey, but could be mistaken. Did National Club Hockey have different divisions like the ACHA currently has, and therefore more than one champion each year?
    I looked that up, too. I can't find any reference to ACHA pre-1991. Not only that, but the 1983-84 and 1984-85 seasons included games between UAH and PSU during the regular season, so what ACHA would have existed if the two teams played each other in such a manner during the year? I am mighty confused here. My recollection was that it was call National Club Hockey, too (hence the "National Club Hockey Championship"); perhaps there was a sub-club team?

Geof, Douglas, someone, please also have Jamie correct the historical notes to reflect the fact that they defeated Miami on 3/5/84, not Ohio, to win the national championship. Considering it was such an important piece of Charger lore, I can't believe the athletic department would have messed that bit of information up so badly.

Leave a comment:

• beaverhockeyfan
    replied

Originally posted by wsp67326 View Post
    Douglas and Terry, check out the Penn State - Div I 2.0 thread. Do you have any insight as to the Penn State claim to the ACHA national championship in 1984 and runner-up in 1985? You two should remember our boys won in 1984 (against Miami) and lost to NDSU (ugh) in 1985. Was ACHA a different organization way back when from the one that ran the tournament we all attended at the VBCC? Curiously, PSU WAS the runner-up (to UAH) in 1983, and that is correctly listed. So, I'm a bit mystified by this. Want the Chargers to get their due.
    Interesting.... The ACHA wasn't founded until 1991 according to their website. Before that, I believe it was called National Club Hockey, but could be mistaken. Did National Club Hockey have different divisions like the ACHA currently has, and therefore more than one champion each year?

Leave a comment:

• wsp67326
    replied

Leave a comment:

• gfmorris
    replied

Thanks.

GFM

Leave a comment:

• DominicHennig
    replied

Hey All!

Here is the Alabama Huntsville Chargers @ Ferris State Bulldogs Series Video Preview:

This Week:
    vs. Alabama-Huntsville
    Friday & Saturday (Feb. 11-12) - 7:05 p.m. (EST)
    Ewigleben Ice Arena (2,493 capacity) - Big Rapids, Michigan

Live Game Statistics: Friday | Saturday

Live Video Webcast: Friday & Saturday - Watch Live

Television: Saturday - Ferris Television (Tape Delayed)

Radio Broadcast: Thursday: 1460 AM and 107.7 FM WBRN Listen Live

Live Twitter Updates: www.***********/FerrisHockey

Leave a comment:

• gfmorris
    replied

Originally posted by Douglas View Post
    Knock knock...
    I'm here.

UAH is raising all the banners for 2009-10 and 2010 fall sports tonight at the basketball games at Spragins. This means they'll hang banners for the 2010 CHA win and making the 2010 NCAAs. Saw a number of players at Saturday night's games as, for once, they weren't on the road.

GFM

Leave a comment:

• Douglas
    replied

Knock knock...

Leave a comment:

• UAHStatman
    replied

Originally posted by Douglas View Post
    Here's a local Forest City, IA article on Doug Ross... complete with his new home address!?!
    http://www.albertleatribune.com/2011...the-new-coach/
    Nice CHA jacket, although you'd think they'd hook him up with some Waldorf stuff.

Leave a comment:

• tnlong
    replied

I was checking to see if the game brought his save percentage above .900 (no, it's .898) when I noticed that EMPTY NET has played in 16 games.

Leave a comment:

• gfmorris
    replied

Clarke gets his due recognition: http://www.uscho.com/2011/02/02/saun...ars-for-feb-2/

GFM

Leave a comment:

• tnlong
    replied

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
    Upset the #15 team in the country on the road, with our goalie setting the team record for saves in the D-I era, and next-to-no coverage from The Huntsville Times: http://saveuahhockey.com/2011/01/30/on-media-coverage/

GFM
    They got some print in Tuesday's Times.
    http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2...build_off.html

Leave a comment:

• gfmorris
    replied

Originally posted by beaverhockeyfan View Post
    And Waldorf is in Forest City, Iowa, while they are going to play their games in Albert Lea, MN. That is 35 miles one way. I know at UAH you don't have an on campus rink, but this is a hike.
    That's not quite as bad as Mississippi State's club team playing and practicing in Decatur, AL, but it's close.

GFM

Leave a comment:

• beaverhockeyfan
    replied

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
    Home address? Wow. Also, "Deerborn". Heh.

GFM
    And Waldorf is in Forest City, Iowa, while they are going to play their games in Albert Lea, MN. That is 35 miles one way. I know at UAH you don't have an on campus rink, but this is a hike.

Mason City, which used to host the North Iowa Huskies (USHL) and then the North Iowa Outlaws (NAHL) is also 35 miles away. I guess they will be traveling for home games and practice.

Leave a comment:

• gfmorris
    replied

Home address? Wow. Also, "Deerborn". Heh.

GFM

Leave a comment:

Working...
X