Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Declaring Our Independence: UAH 2010-11, Part the First

Hey All!

Here is the Alabama Huntsville Chargers @ Ferris State Bulldogs Series Video Preview:

This Week:
    vs. Alabama-Huntsville
    Friday & Saturday (Feb. 11-12) - 7:05 p.m. (EST)
    Ewigleben Ice Arena (2,493 capacity) - Big Rapids, Michigan

Live Game Statistics: Friday | Saturday

Live Video Webcast: Friday & Saturday - Watch Live

Television: Saturday - Ferris Television (Tape Delayed)

Radio Broadcast: Thursday: 1460 AM and 107.7 FM WBRN Listen Live

Live Twitter Updates: www.***********/FerrisHockey

Comment

Thanks.

GFM
      Geof F. Morris
      UAH BSE MAE 2002
      UAHHockey.com

Comment

Douglas and Terry, check out the Penn State - Div I 2.0 thread. Do you have any insight as to the Penn State claim to the ACHA national championship in 1984 and runner-up in 1985? You two should remember our boys won in 1984 (against Miami) and lost to NDSU (ugh) in 1985. Was ACHA a different organization way back when from the one that ran the tournament we all attended at the VBCC? Curiously, PSU WAS the runner-up (to UAH) in 1983, and that is correctly listed. So, I'm a bit mystified by this. Want the Chargers to get their due.

Comment

Originally posted by wsp67326 View Post
          Douglas and Terry, check out the Penn State - Div I 2.0 thread. Do you have any insight as to the Penn State claim to the ACHA national championship in 1984 and runner-up in 1985? You two should remember our boys won in 1984 (against Miami) and lost to NDSU (ugh) in 1985. Was ACHA a different organization way back when from the one that ran the tournament we all attended at the VBCC? Curiously, PSU WAS the runner-up (to UAH) in 1983, and that is correctly listed. So, I'm a bit mystified by this. Want the Chargers to get their due.
          Interesting.... The ACHA wasn't founded until 1991 according to their website. Before that, I believe it was called National Club Hockey, but could be mistaken. Did National Club Hockey have different divisions like the ACHA currently has, and therefore more than one champion each year?
          Millsy

NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
          FROZEN FOUR 2009!

"Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
          NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
          NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
          NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
          NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
          Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
          Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

Comment

Originally posted by beaverhockeyfan View Post
            Interesting.... The ACHA wasn't founded until 1991 according to their website. Before that, I believe it was called National Club Hockey, but could be mistaken. Did National Club Hockey have different divisions like the ACHA currently has, and therefore more than one champion each year?
            I looked that up, too. I can't find any reference to ACHA pre-1991. Not only that, but the 1983-84 and 1984-85 seasons included games between UAH and PSU during the regular season, so what ACHA would have existed if the two teams played each other in such a manner during the year? I am mighty confused here. My recollection was that it was call National Club Hockey, too (hence the "National Club Hockey Championship"); perhaps there was a sub-club team?

Geof, Douglas, someone, please also have Jamie correct the historical notes to reflect the fact that they defeated Miami on 3/5/84, not Ohio, to win the national championship. Considering it was such an important piece of Charger lore, I can't believe the athletic department would have messed that bit of information up so badly.

Comment

In 1983, the "U. S. National Club Ice Hockey Tournament" was hosted by the VBCC in Huntsville. It was billed as the "U. S. National Collegiate Club Hockey Championships" in 1984 and 1985 when also hosted in Huntsville.

In 1983, UAH, OH U., Auburn U., U. of AZ, Miami of OH, and Penn State participated. UAH won the final against Penn State 5-4. I "think" I remember the UAH winning goal against Penn State as though it was yesterday. With little time left in regulation, the Penn State goalie had played an amazing game even though he had surrendered four goals. Then, he gets hit in the chest with a wicked shot that roles down his left arm, off his glove, onto the ice, across the line, and into the corner of the goal. It was almost in slow motion like in a movie.

In 1984, UAH, IN U., OH U. , N. AZ U., Miami of OH, and Eastern MI U. participated. I believe wsp67326 is correct with the 3/3 and 3/5 games being transposed in the records. However, I'll provide more on that in a later post.

In 1985, UAH, Ferris State, Miami of OH, N. Dakota State, N. AZ. U., and U. of DE participated. With N. Dakota State beating UAH in the final, the most memorable part of the weekend was N. Dakota State's skating cheerleaders.

UAH also won the 1982 "club championship" tournament. I think those games were in CO and UAH defeated Penn State in one of the rounds there.
              Last edited by tnlong; 02-08-2011, 04:47 PM. Reason: Correcting Error in Memory

Comment

Originally posted by tnlong View Post
                In 1983, the "U. S. National Club Ice Hockey Tournament" was hosted by the VBCC in Huntsville. It was billed as the "U. S. National Collegiate Club Hockey Championships" in 1984 and 1985 when also hosted in Huntsville.

In 1983, UAH, OH U., Auburn U., U. of AZ, Miami of OH, and Penn State participated. UAH won the final against Penn State 5-4. I "think" I remember the UAH winning goal against Penn State as though it was yesterday. With little time left in regulation, the Penn State goalie had played an amazing game even though he had surrendered four goals. Then, he gets hit in the chest with a wicked shot that roles down his left arm, off his glove, onto the ice, across the line, and into the corner of the goal. It was almost in slow motion like in a movie.

In 1984, UAH, IN U., OH U. , N. AZ U., Miami of OH, and Eastern MI U. participated. I believe wsp67326 is correct with the 3/3 and 3/5 games being transposed in the records. However, I'll provide more on that in a later post.

In 1985, UAH, Ferris State, Miami of OH, N. Dakota State, N. AZ. U., and U. of DE participated. With N. Dakota State beating UAH in the final, the most memorable part of the weekend was N. Dakota State's skating cheerleaders.

UAH also won the 1982 "club championship" tournament. I think those games were in CO and UAH defeated Penn State in one of the rounds there.
                My recollection, too. I KNOW these were the Club Hockey Championships. I cannot, for the life of me, figure out the how and why PSU claims to have won it in 1984 and Arizona in 1985 (PSU claims to have beaten the IceCats in 1984 and then the other way around in 1985); was there some alternate championship we didn't know about? This is bugging me (way too much, obviously). Any insight as to their claims would be appreciated, to say the least. We were there, buddy; the Chargers carried that trophy around twice at the VBCC. And I was so proud of our fans to give the Bison the ovation they deserved in 1985 (they won it all from then on until 1991, except for 1990, presumably when PSU "actually" won it). Check out the PSU thread I noted, if you can. Thanks for the specifics, too.

Comment

In 1984, UAH, IN U., OH U. , N. AZ U., Miami of OH, and Eastern MI U. participated. I believe wsp67326 is correct with the 3/3 and 3/5 games being transposed in the records. However, I'll provide more on that in a later post. ....
                  1984 Tournament Pairings:
                  3/3
                  09:00 N. AZ v's E. MI
                  11:30 IN v's OH
                  17:30 Miami v's 09:00 loser
                  20:00 UAH v's 11:30 loser
                  3/4
                  17:30 Miami v's 3/3 09:00 winner
                  20:00 UAH v's 3/3 11:30 winner
                  3/5
                  15:00 bracket third place teams
                  17:30 bracket second place teams
                  20:00 bracket first place teams

These pairings show how the 3/3 and 3/5 game results got switched in the records. However, I had to think on the subject for a while because I recall something strange happening sometime during that era regarding Miami of Ohio's equipment arriving late for some game in Huntsville. I do remember seeing Miami of Ohio playing in Huntsville on multiple occasions wearing pink jersey's. They had a terrible problem with their red fading onto heir white jerseys.

Regarding tournament sites, I think the next-year site was determined at the end of each tournament with the winning team getting preference. ND State went on to also win championships in 1986, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1991, 1993, & 1994. See http://achahockey.org/page.php?page_id=2187 to see how that meshes with the ACHA.

Comment

My recollection, too. I KNOW these were the Club Hockey Championships. I cannot, for the life of me, figure out the how and why PSU claims to have won it in 1984 and Arizona in 1985 (PSU claims to have beaten the IceCats in 1984 and then the other way around in 1985); was there some alternate championship we didn't know about? This is bugging me (way too much, obviously).
                    Given there was no formal organization (or at least 1 strong formal club organization) before the ACHA was formed, it's not a stretch to believe that there were multiple organizations with multiple championships during those seasons.

FWIW, the Arizona site has the same info as PSU. Ari was runner up in 84 and winners in 85.
                    HT: Bucs FC - IV.46

Comment

See
                      http://home.hiwaay.net/~plong/*tnl_h...ages/programs/
                      for scans of the 1983, 1984, and 1985 National Collegiate Club Hockey Championship program covers.

Note that the 1984 program cover even has the regional champions identified. If PSU won any "championship" in AZ, it was without these regional champions.

Comment

Originally posted by RMUColonials View Post
                        ... FWIW, the Arizona site has the same info as PSU. Ari was runner up in 84 and winners in 85.
                        And, North Dakota State would be interested in that claim.
                        http://www.hometeamsonline.com/teams...ckey&p=records

Comment

It is beginning to look like there were two different "club" National Titles back then. Looks like UAH has claim to US National Collegiate Club Hockey Championships while Penn State has claim to the National Invitational Club Hockey Tournament. Looks like you had to win some league to be in the US National Collegiate Club Tournament, while the National Invitational Tournament was by invite.

Kind of like hoops has the NCAA Bracket and the NIT Bracket.
                          Millsy

NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
                          FROZEN FOUR 2009!

"Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
                          NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
                          NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
                          NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
                          NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
                          Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
                          Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

Comment

See
                            http://home.hiwaay.net/~plong/*tnl_h...ages/programs/
                            for scans of the 1983, 1984, and 1985 National Collegiate Club Hockey Championship program covers.

Note that the 1984 program cover even has the regional champions identified. If PSU won any "championship" in AZ, it was without these regional champions.
                            That logo! I was trying to remember what the Charger logo was prior to when UAH joined the NCAA. I had only seen it a couple of times during my time at the sports information office digging through the storage room.

I feel kind of responsible for the date transposition for the 1984 tournament in the season-by-season results. It seemed whenever I did any records research prior to UAH joining the NCAA in 1986, the findings were sometimes sketchy (you'll note that many of the results from the early-to-mid 1980s didn't even have dates at all). I can't recall if I ever saw those 1983-85 game programs (it's been 14 years since I worked there)...perhaps I would've caught the error if they were around. I certainly didn't know any better.
                            Michael Napier - UAH '97
                            uahhockey.com

UAH Chargers Hockey
                            U.S. National Club Champions - 1982, 1983, 1984
                            NCAA Division II National Champions - 1996, 1998
                            CHA Regular Season Champions - 2001, 2003
                            CHA Tournament Champions - 2007, 2010

Comment

Hey guys, I just got back from a trip so have been catching up on this discussion. Sorry I haven't responded to any of the questions directed partly at me. Terry's always good for answering those history questions anyway. Here's my contribution by way of some UAH flags. Notice that one of them shows UAH as 1982 National Champions also... Enjoy...

*****http://www.knology.net/~dougeagan/UAHClubFlags.jpg******

Has anyone pointed out some of the discrepancies over on the PSU thread? I haven't had the time to look at it yet and probably won't until this weekend.

The cover Terry posted that includes Ferris State on it might be interesting to post on the Ferris State thread... you think?
                              Doug
                              UAH 1974
                              Charger Hockey - Born 1979 ~ Killed 2012
                              Executioner: Malcom Portera - Chancellor, University of Alabama System
                              Reason: Hates all things not in Tuscaloosa (i.e. UAH & UAB)
                              Revived: Two Months Later - Thanks Nathan et al... Save UAH Hockey
                              Reborn: 1/17/2013 - Thanks Bob - Thanks WCHA!!!

Comment

For UAH and CHA fans... Here is a link to a random bunch of my photos on my site that I use for linking photos to the web. You'll find some from as far back as the Wayne State days up to some from this season... also a few shots of my grandson, JD Cousart #17, so you'll know who you're looking at and a few other random shots... even the UAH girls softball team shot of their league championship win. Enjoy...

Doug's Pics Here

I'm working on setting up a web server with some low-res photos (fit for looking at on monitors, too low for good printing) for fans and parents to look through. Time is my biggest problem of course...
                                Doug
                                UAH 1974
                                Charger Hockey - Born 1979 ~ Killed 2012
                                Executioner: Malcom Portera - Chancellor, University of Alabama System
                                Reason: Hates all things not in Tuscaloosa (i.e. UAH & UAB)
                                Revived: Two Months Later - Thanks Nathan et al... Save UAH Hockey
                                Reborn: 1/17/2013 - Thanks Bob - Thanks WCHA!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X