Declaring Our Independence: UAH 2010-11, Part the First

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Declaring Our Independence: UAH 2010-11, Part the First

If the CCHA is going to accept UAH as a 9th team (when MSU, Mich, OS leave), wouldn't they take them as the 12th team before then?

Doug, Geof et al - do you think the CCHA will invite UAH to join them?

Comment

Originally posted by fangers
      I suspect the CCHA won't do anything until it becomes more clear how everything is going to shake out. There are as many theories floating around as there are posters on this forum, but one that seems to be popular (and pushed by ND coach Jackson) is a merger of the WCHA and CCHA with three divisions of 6 teams each - which could leave a couple schools, UAH included, out of that mix. But time will tell.
      Wow - if the CCHA and WCHA merge to make three divisions of six, and Penn State is in as one of the 18, then there would be seven teams left out, including UAH. Sure hope this is not the case.

Comment

I misunderstood, thought you meant 18 teams total.

If it's 24, that is not good news for UAH.
        Last edited by Back check; 12-23-2010, 11:05 AM.

Comment

I still think UAH will end up in Hockey East.

GFM
          Geof F. Morris
          UAH BSE MAE 2002
          UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post

GFM
            Wait, what? Is it April 1?
            Current NCAA D-I rinks I've been to:

AHA:
            B1G: UMich, MSU, UMinn, Notre Dame, OSU, UWisc
            CCHA: BSU, BG, FSU, LSSU, MSU, MTU, NMU
            ECAC:
            HEA: UMass
            NCHC: Miami, UMD, UND, SCSU, WMU
            Independant: ASU

Inactive: UAH, ASU, BSU, UMD, UND, NMU, Notre Dame

Comment

GFM
              Sounds good !!

Comment

Paul Kelly of College Hockey Inc. says:

" My sense, from what I’m hearing, is that the Big Ten will start a hockey conference. Whether that’s motivated by their television interests or other factors, I’m not exactly sure. But I think at some point, and maybe we’re talking five years down the road, but at some point I do think you will see a Big Ten conference.

My concern is that if the big schools come together to form a conference that it could leave the smaller schools in a precarious position. We don’t want to leave the smaller programs that have been loyal participants in the Division I landscape over the years to find themselves on the outside looking in without a conference alignment that they can sell to their fan base.

We’re such a unique sport in the sense that we have some many schools that do not play Division I in any other sport and yet they play Division I hockey. You have tiny little schools playing against massive programs — schools like Ohio State and Michigan playing against Ferris State and Northern Michigan. We’re unique in the sporting landscape. We do want to add new programs but at the same time we don’t want to lose any. "

JC: On that note, what do you hear about the situation at Alabama-Huntsville? Is that a program that still is remaining strong?

PK: " Unfortunately, we had the news recently of the sudden death of their athletic director (Jim Harris). He was such a positive moving force and a supporter for college hockey. I truly hope that somebody will step in and pick up the momentum there.

It’s difficult for a school that is geographically isolated by itself down there in the southeast. People think Alabama and they think they’re down on the Gulf Coast. In fact, Huntsville is not that far south. It’s not a whole further south than some of our existing programs.

We are concerned that Huntsville is not left out there by itself. Our programs have been good about scheduling Alabama-Huntsville and working with them. But, ultimately, it will be in the interest of the sport and the interest of Alabama-Huntsville to be aligned with a conference at some point. Which conference that will be? It’s too early to tell. They’ve got a great coach doing a great job in difficult circumstances and we will do whatever we can to help make sure they continue to stay strong.
                "
                Last edited by Back check; 12-29-2010, 05:06 AM.

Comment

Translation: "We don't have one ********** clue how this is going to shake out."

Skate with the Chargers tonight from 6-8p at the Iceplex.

GFM
                  Geof F. Morris
                  UAH BSE MAE 2002
                  UAHHockey.com

Comment

Translation: "We don't have one ********** clue how this is going to shake out."

Skate with the Chargers tonight from 6-8p at the Iceplex.

GFM
                    I wouldn't expect him to know, either. College Hockey Inc. can advise programs and market the college game, but they really can't actually do anything to help UAH, can they? Hence, I would think Mr. Kelly wouldn't know any more about UAH or conference realignment than we would.
                    Michael Napier - UAH '97
                    uahhockey.com

UAH Chargers Hockey
                    U.S. National Club Champions - 1982, 1983, 1984
                    NCAA Division II National Champions - 1996, 1998
                    CHA Regular Season Champions - 2001, 2003
                    CHA Tournament Champions - 2007, 2010

Comment

Originally posted by UAHStatman View Post
                      I wouldn't expect him to know, either. College Hockey Inc. can advise programs and market the college game, but they really can't actually do anything to help UAH, can they? Hence, I would think Mr. Kelly wouldn't know any more about UAH or conference realignment than we would.
                      Kelly is reasonably well-connected, and while I expect that he knows about things that he can't say, his response indicates that things are still up in the air. The first part of his answer tells me that the Western super-conference concept is still at least being discussed, although I've always thought it wishcasting on the part of non-BTHC CCHA coaches. When the nature of the BTHC is known, everyone out west will be reacting along with UAH.

Kelly's comment about UAH does indicate that the general sentiment is that being an independent is an untenable long-term situation in today's college hockey landscape, and I don't think that any UAH coach, player, or fan would argue with that. A post-BTHC CCHA can go a number of ways, and I'm betting that it won't be well-orchestrated, unlike WCHA expansion.

GFM
                      Geof F. Morris
                      UAH BSE MAE 2002
                      UAHHockey.com

Comment

He also mentioned there were 4 or 5 schools seriously interested in DI hockey and that he could easily see three of them doing it. That is encouraging but there was no timeframe mentioned. It would really help us if they could decide and would announce their intentions within the next 1 to 3 years and be playing DI hockey in 2 to 5. That would sure fit in with potential league realignments needed when BTHC arrives in about 3 years (my prediction). Definitely nice to hear that there are schools seriously exploring DI hockey. Now the speculation can begin as to who they are???
                        Doug
                        UAH 1974
                        Charger Hockey - Born 1979 ~ Killed 2012
                        Executioner: Malcom Portera - Chancellor, University of Alabama System
                        Reason: Hates all things not in Tuscaloosa (i.e. UAH & UAB)
                        Revived: Two Months Later - Thanks Nathan et al... Save UAH Hockey
                        Reborn: 1/17/2013 - Thanks Bob - Thanks WCHA!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Douglas View Post
                          He also mentioned there were 4 or 5 schools seriously interested in DI hockey and that he could easily see three of them doing it. That is encouraging but there was no timeframe mentioned. It would really help us if they could decide and would announce their intentions within the next 1 to 3 years and be playing DI hockey in 2 to 5. That would sure fit in with potential league realignments needed when BTHC arrives in about 3 years (my prediction). Definitely nice to hear that there are schools seriously exploring DI hockey. Now the speculation can begin as to who they are???
                          Here's the problem with said expansion: name schools that do it out West are going to be BTHC schools, and second-tier programs are going to struggle to get in a league. If the CCHA survives intact in a post-BTHC world, there's a place for them to go.

GFM
                          Geof F. Morris
                          UAH BSE MAE 2002
                          UAHHockey.com

Comment

For those who haven't heard otherwise: RPI's Brock Higgs caught a teammate's skate blade under his chin. It just missed his carotid artery. He was headed to surgery around 10:45pm, and interim AD Antoine Bell is there with Brock's family, who had made the trip. Very scary moment, and I'm glad that it's not as bad as it could have been.
                            Geof F. Morris
                            UAH BSE MAE 2002
                            UAHHockey.com

Comment

Okay, so thoughts on the game ...

1. The PPG was kinda funny: Johnny pushes it up to Bax, who hits Durnie with a pass. RPI clogged up the neutral zone on the PK all night, so Tom found a seam and skated in. He sees two guys crashing the net and throws it to the net, hoping to get off of York's pads for a rebound from one of the two guys slashing into the slot. Tom was below the dashes and a couple feet from the boards, and instead of going up front, it ended up behind York. There was a 4-6 inch seam and the puck found it.

2. Physical game, and the Engineers slowed down to our pace. I saw them get a couple odd-man rushes, but they didn't hustle through.

3. Our guys had a few decent even-strength opportunities but nothing would go in the net.

4. Four power-play opportunities for RPI in the second and they got one shot on net. One.

5. The boxscore has Bailen scoring on that softball he tossed at the end of the 2nd, but I've seen game stories that say Helfrich tipped it. Either way, I didn't see it because I was watching Bailen get checked into the glass.

GFM
                              Geof F. Morris
                              UAH BSE MAE 2002
                              UAHHockey.com

Comment

For those who haven't heard otherwise: RPI's Brock Higgs caught a teammate's skate blade under his chin. It just missed his carotid artery. He was headed to surgery around 10:45pm, and interim AD Antoine Bell is there with Brock's family, who had made the trip. Very scary moment, and I'm glad that it's not as bad as it could have been.
                                *nod* I knew this, but I sit next to the physician who responded to the injury and we were in prime position to see the damage sitting behind their bench. It's good to know that our over-educated fan-base includes some medical doctors. It's nights like that where I am very thankful that people in our medical community takes their oaths to help others so seriously. I think the smartest person though was Brock himself who knew immediately that it was bad, and knew to put some pressure on it right away. His teammate followed suit with a towel even before the medical folks could move over there. No one likes seeing these injuries happen.

Comment

Working...
                                X