Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Declaring Our Independence: UAH 2010-11, Part the First

Originally posted by 101hockey101 View Post
    What terrible and shocking news...I have known Jim since the beginning of the CHA and feel priviledged to have been a colleague of his. As a young coach and then as a new AD I was amazed to see the passion he had for UAH, college hockey and the CHA. When the CHA was first created, we all had our thoughts and challenges about the direction, future and growth of the league. Then years later, when the future of the CHA really started to go downhill, I met Jim in a restaurant in Indianapolis and we talked about how far the league has come. Jim was so passionate and determined to try and save the league that he actually teared up and cried...it hit me like a ton of bricks. He was so emotionally attached to UAH and the league that I will never forget that conversation...God Bless him and his family, and my thoughts are with the great hockey fans of Alabama!

Respectfully,

Craig Barnett
    Thanks Craig. It's always nice to know he was highly thought of outside of our local area. We'll miss him for sure...
    Doug
    UAH 1974
    Charger Hockey - Born 1979 ~ Killed 2012
    Executioner: Malcom Portera - Chancellor, University of Alabama System
    Reason: Hates all things not in Tuscaloosa (i.e. UAH & UAB)
    Revived: Two Months Later - Thanks Nathan et al... Save UAH Hockey
    Reborn: 1/17/2013 - Thanks Bob - Thanks WCHA!!!

Comment

I just don't know what to say...

Honestly, I would not be where I am today, educationally or professionally, without Jim's help. This is a guy who, when I was looking for a sports information internship following graduation, created a new position in the department to allow me to stay on and get that full-time, near-zero-pay experience necessary to actually work in this business.

Then, with a new baby, when I was looking for full-time employment in this field ($1,000 a month only goes so far), extended me every courtesy and offered to make any phone call he could to help me land where I wanted to go.

He was always quick with a warm smile every time I came back to visit.

I still remember sitting in the office after the Tampa bid was announced. Jim and Antoine both joked that they set that up for someone else to handle, given how far out the announcement was. Never thought this would be the way it happened.

I'm still in shock, and I'm scared that everything I'm typing will come off stupid and contrived.

Thoughts and prayers for the family, the department and the student-athletes affected.
      Last edited by MikeAnderson; 12-14-2010, 12:37 PM. Reason: I think too much...
      UAH - The Cleveland Browns of COLLEGE HOCKEY

Mike Anderson
      2006 Time Person of the Year
      Finger far off the pulse of college hockey, thanks to Mack Portera.
      It was fun for a whole lot of seasons.

"Give beer to those who are perishing, wine to those who are in anguish; let them drink and forget their poverty and remember their misery no more." Proverbs 31:6-7 (NIV)

Comment

Any word on an audio or visual feed for this week's games up at MC?

Comment

Originally posted by jyoung View Post
          Any word on an audio or visual feed for this week's games up at MC?
          Apparently it will be on AmericaOne/B2: http://www.b2tv.com/partner_members....ckey%20Men%27s

And audio on WMCE: http://wmce.mercyhurst.edu/

Got the info from the Erie Times-News web site, in an article about Mercyhurst's facility issues: http://goerie.com/apps/pbcs.dll/arti...9850/-1/SPORTS
          Michael Napier - UAH '97
          uahhockey.com

UAH Chargers Hockey
          U.S. National Club Champions - 1982, 1983, 1984
          NCAA Division II National Champions - 1996, 1998
          CHA Regular Season Champions - 2001, 2003
          CHA Tournament Champions - 2007, 2010

Comment

I don't know if there are words.

GFM
            Geof F. Morris
            UAH BSE MAE 2002
            UAHHockey.com

Comment

UAH 3 - Mercyhurst 8 ...Ouch!!!

C.J. gave up 3 goals and Clarke gave up 5 in relief...
              I have no idea where the rest of the team was...
              Doug
              UAH 1974

Comment

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
                I don't know if there are words.

GFM
                Sure there are... Doug's right on the money: "OUCH!" What a disappointment, I was hoping the team would do a bit better, but I can't exactly say I expect them to be in a good head space this week given what has happened. Tonight may be better, or so we hope.

I didn't get to listen or watch since I got distracted. Seems I need to prep to move all of a sudden and things have gotten hectic here (I got a job in TN), but we pulled the score up during dinner tonight and were just stunned.

Comment

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
                  I honestly don't know what the students' excuse for hockey games is.
                  Could it have something to do with this being our fifth losing season in a row, where we've combined for a record of 15-28-7 at the VBC since the beginning of the 2006-07 season?

It's no fun to watch the home team lose.
                  Last edited by dimwell; 12-17-2010, 04:49 PM.

Comment

So, yeah, tried to listen tonight and the feed won't work from the radio station.

Tried to get the live box score, but the NCAA scoreboard isn't updating the UAH game.

Tried to find someone blogging the score on the forum, and nothing.

No one seems to be tweeting either.

Urgh. I want my hockey fix. Anyone know what's going on with the game?

Comment

Shoulda checked the UAH website....

http://www.sidearmstats.com/hurst/mhockey/index.htm

Comment

Originally posted by ChargerBlue View Post
                        Shoulda checked the UAH website....

http://www.sidearmstats.com/hurst/mhockey/index.htm
                        Yeah I should have, but it's been ages since anything on that site has worked for me. (I suspect it doesn't like my browser of choice.)

Comment

Doug
                          UAH 1974

Comment

Off-subject but FYI, just returned from the Gwinnett ECHL game and we were graced with a visit tonight by the Junior Chargers from Huntsville. The youngsters get to skate out before the Glads players are introduced and stay on the blue line through the national anthems. A fine looking team.
                            GO PURPS!
                            Real Men wear PURPLE!

www.gwinnettgladiators.com

I am ... a New Yorker by birth, Southern by the Grace of God

Comment

So I was thinking about it tonight. 2-16-2. Ouch.

It's pretty simple, though. Without a conference, there shouldn't be any difference between one season and the next. All the Chargers' season is a postseason. Every week is a test. They haven't aced many of them this year. That doesn't mean stopping, though.

Every weekend matters, because every weekend is an opportunity to make an impression. Win? Awesome. Give a great effort and come up just short? Painful, but better than ... Lose while never being in it? Unacceptable.

I don't doubt that these guys aren't giving an effort. I don't doubt that the coaches are working, either. There are no off-weekends in this schedule, no familiar teams. The only teams UAH will play more than twice this season are BG and Ferris. That's it. Yes, there's familiarity in playing Robert Morris and Bemidji, but there aren't four or more games to learn about yourselves and what it takes for you to win. No, this schedule is more a gauntlet than anything else.

That doesn't excuse the results. It explains it, but it doesn't excuse it. I know fans and boosters are upset, but I don't think we're 5% as upset as any player or any coach.

Go Blue.

GFM
                              Geof F. Morris
                              UAH BSE MAE 2002
                              UAHHockey.com

Comment

Heisenberg site says UAH picked up another recruit for next year - a d-man from Pembroke Lumber Kings.

Comment

Working...
                                X