Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Declaring Our Independence: UAH 2010-11, Part the First

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
    I honestly don't know what the students' excuse for hockey games is. It's not like you're driving across town, and besides, aren't we a **** commuter school? Also, the argument that Greeks are to be the leading group of students at the university is absolutely laughable when it comes to supporting our flagship sport. They show up for the first home game and when Homecoming ceremonies are held at hockey. Otherwise, it's inconsistent as a group. Some organizations are better at it than others. Some organizations have even scheduled parties against hockey games.
    I don't think UAH sees itself as a commuter school (or at least not as much of one), considering its recent building of on-campus housing and the requirement of single freshmen and sophomores to live on it.

Unless the Greeks have become semi-regulars at basketball games, they have never been consistent in supporting any UAH sport. (By the way, I notice Homecoming is in April this time -- unless they want to have it at baseball or softball, it would seem there would be no athletics involved. That doesn't seem right to me.)
    Michael Napier - UAH '97
    uahhockey.com

UAH Chargers Hockey
    U.S. National Club Champions - 1982, 1983, 1984
    NCAA Division II National Champions - 1996, 1998
    CHA Regular Season Champions - 2001, 2003
    CHA Tournament Champions - 2007, 2010

Comment

Originally posted by UAHStatman View Post
      I don't think UAH sees itself as a commuter school (or at least not as much of one), considering its recent building of on-campus housing and the requirement of single freshmen and sophomores to live on it.
      This is a recent and, to me, welcome development.

We have a confluence of negative factors that are making it look dire, but I am not worried. The president is for the program, and that means with this president that the Board of Trustees is for it. [The students widely regard Williams as the BoT's puppet, much in the way the UAB ones were a decade ago.] There is still financial support from long-time boosters. D-I schools are still scheduling UAH.

GFM
      Geof F. Morris
      UAH BSE MAE 2002
      UAHHockey.com

Comment

The administration doesn't see itself as a commuter school. The community and the student body do, and have disagreed rather openly about this. Hence the cause of much conflict between the administration and the students over these policies which the students feel are completely inappropriate and rather draconian, and often made under bad premises. Some of us were more vocal than others.

I'll stop now before I launch into ranting.

Comment

Originally posted by jyoung View Post
          The administration doesn't see itself as a commuter school. The community and the student body do, and have disagreed rather openly about this. Hence the cause of much conflict between the administration and the students over these policies which the students feel are completely inappropriate and rather draconian, and often made under bad premises. Some of us were more vocal than others.

I'll stop now before I launch into ranting.
          I don't know that it matters what the Huntsville community thinks. It does matter what the student body thinks. If it's presented incorrectly, it's bad execution of a good idea.

GFM <-- thinks UAH has to stop being a commuter school to go to the next level.
          Geof F. Morris
          UAH BSE MAE 2002
          UAHHockey.com

Comment

I always love military night, I just wish they'd sit more around the bowl than in just the two sections. Heck I'd love it if they'd bring another couple thousand too. Toy toss seems to have done well though, which is good.

As for the game? Third period heroics prevent it from being a complete blowout. I wish we'd converted on that 5 on 3, and drive it into OT but alas. Bobby Mo had us down 4-0, and it might have been 5-0 had a goal not been called back for violation of the crease. We're still not playing 60 minutes. Saw more than a few times were we let three get down in behind the goal, on two RMU players, the result was frequently a break-away for RMU as they shuttled the puck back up the boards and out to center. Still, some occasional glimpses of the team we should be, at least in the third.

Any word on Bruni? He came off the ice injured for a bit near the end and sat on the bench for a while before returning to the game. I think he missed at least a shift, possibly two. Fairbanks was already out, shoulder issues is what I was told.

Comment

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
              I don't know that it matters what the Huntsville community thinks. It does matter what the student body thinks. If it's presented incorrectly, it's bad execution of a good idea.

GFM <-- thinks UAH has to stop being a commuter school to go to the next level.
              "bad execution of a good idea"

Yeah that sums up a lot of things. The other half has to do with communication, or lack thereof. But I'm not going to continue this thought since it's not the right forum for it. The President and the Provost are well aware of my opinions on the matter.

Comment

Last night's game seemed to be a much better effort. The problem was we ended up with a shortened bench due to injury (Bruni) and a questionable game misconduct penalty (deBruyn). I swear we spent a third of the game on the penalty kill. Saunders did well, I was kind of bothered that we didn't do three stars, since I thought he deserved one even in the loss.

Bruni got leveled by a hit in the second which was actually caused by one of our own. He took a bit to get up off the ice and head down the tunnel, and while he came back to the bench later in the game he didn't return to the game that I noted. I hope he's alright, he's a good guy and brings some grit to the team.

Yes, we most certainly committed the too many men on the ice penalty that wasn't called, but RMU took that and ran their mouths to the refs and all of a sudden a "let 'em play" atmosphere dissolved into a "call anything UAH does". The game misconduct may be legit, but from the angle we sat at it didn't look like a five and gone. Lots of stuff not called on RMU that we were getting called for, and both teams were guilty of a number of infractions. My objection is that the game didn't seem to be called fairly; either call it both ways, or don't call it. I hate it when the Ref's trying and "make up" for their error and end up getting biased. From our viewpoint it was heading down that path pretty fast. I know it's par for the course to head coach work the refs, but that was getting ridiculous.

Comment

Jim Harris, UAH athletis director, died last night of a heart attack at age 63:
                  http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2...ahs_harri.html

This stunned me, and it is a truly sad day. I was fortunate enough to work with him when I worked in the sports information department as a student when he arrived in 1995. His positive outlook and determination made him a driving force in the growth of Charger athletics. The entire UAH family will miss him greatly. My thoughts are with the Harris family.
                  Michael Napier - UAH '97
                  uahhockey.com

UAH Chargers Hockey
                  U.S. National Club Champions - 1982, 1983, 1984
                  NCAA Division II National Champions - 1996, 1998
                  CHA Regular Season Champions - 2001, 2003
                  CHA Tournament Champions - 2007, 2010

Comment

Jim Harris, UAH athletis director, died last night of a heart attack at age 63:
                    http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2...ahs_harri.html

This stunned me, and it is a truly sad day. I was fortunate enough to work with him when I worked in the sports information department as a student when he arrived in 1995. His positive outlook and determination made him a driving force in the growth of Charger athletics. The entire UAH family will miss him greatly. My thoughts are with the Harris family.
                    We were actually commenting at the game about how empty the admin seats were, and the fact we hadn't seen Jim. I'm sorry to hear of his passing. Our condolences to his family, friends, colleagues, and associates.

Comment

I still don't want to believe this. I was in bed and about asleep when I got an email from a parent. I called our hockey SID, Jamie Gilliam, to confirm. Like a lot of Chargers who heard the news, I didn't rest easy last night.

Jim did a lot for UAH Athletics in general, not just the hockey program. His wife, April, has done her share as well; I worked with her often when I was a student. I haven't seen Jim as excited about hockey as I have the last few years, even though the program is in turbulent times. Talking to Jim, I always believed that the program would make it through. Because of Jim, I still do.

I will miss shaking his hand every time I see him.

Vaya con Dios.
                      Geof F. Morris
                      UAH BSE MAE 2002
                      UAHHockey.com

Comment

You are correct about that being the reason for no three stars the second game. We were a little bit distracted down in the catacombs of the VBC
                        -----
                        Proud Member UAH Blue Line Club
                        UAH Pep Band Member -> Asst Dir -> Dir : 1991-2007
                        UAH Game Operations Staff: 2007 -> ?

Comment

What terrible and shocking news...I have known Jim since the beginning of the CHA and feel priviledged to have been a colleague of his. As a young coach and then as a new AD I was amazed to see the passion he had for UAH, college hockey and the CHA. When the CHA was first created, we all had our thoughts and challenges about the direction, future and growth of the league. Then years later, when the future of the CHA really started to go downhill, I met Jim in a restaurant in Indianapolis and we talked about how far the league has come. Jim was so passionate and determined to try and save the league that he actually teared up and cried...it hit me like a ton of bricks. He was so emotionally attached to UAH and the league that I will never forget that conversation...God Bless him and his family, and my thoughts are with the great hockey fans of Alabama!

Respectfully,

Craig Barnett

Comment

Originally posted by 101hockey101 View Post
                            What terrible and shocking news...I have known Jim since the beginning of the CHA and feel priviledged to have been a colleague of his. As a young coach and then as a new AD I was amazed to see the passion he had for UAH, college hockey and the CHA. When the CHA was first created, we all had our thoughts and challenges about the direction, future and growth of the league. Then years later, when the future of the CHA really started to go downhill, I met Jim in a restaurant in Indianapolis and we talked about how far the league has come. Jim was so passionate and determined to try and save the league that he actually teared up and cried...it hit me like a ton of bricks. He was so emotionally attached to UAH and the league that I will never forget that conversation...God Bless him and his family, and my thoughts are with the great hockey fans of Alabama!

Respectfully,

Craig Barnett
                            Hey Craig. Thanks for the memory and the support. You've been an AD in this expansionist hockey fun, so you have a good perspective on things.

Bill Bryant's column is a good read on Jim's career. Jim telling the ICU folks that he had to get to the game ... man.

Past all the shock and sadness of his passing, what really gets me is that Jim won't get to be a part of the Frozen Four in Tampa.

GFM
                            Geof F. Morris
                            UAH BSE MAE 2002
                            UAHHockey.com

Comment

Someone didn't do their research. In wandering around the random stuff on Yahoo (I know, not the most trustworthy source of Hockey News) I found this gem:

Fan reaction: Best moments in Detroit sports 2010 By Christopher Dixon

What does this have to do with the Chargers? Seems someone thinks that Detroit is holding the rights to one Cameron Talbot, former CHA MVP. To quote the brief (but painful) article:

The Detroit Red Wings drafted a winner among hockey goalies. They drafted Cameron Talbot who has a superb reputation among goalies at the college level. As a distinguished athlete, he will add to the austerity of the Red Wings. This is a great choice to refresh the blood on the team as veterans retire.

That's odd, I follow the Wings pretty closely and I don't recall them drafting Cam. In fact I distinctly remember Cam getting a free agent contract with the Rangers Organization and is currently playing for the Connecticut Whale (formerly the Hartford Wolf Pack) as the back-up behind Chad Johnson of Alaska-Fairbanks.

This is why fan produced content should be vetted more carefully... If I had a yahoo account I'd correct him, but it's probably not worth it. Any Charger Fan will know he's wrong. Most of the Wing Nuts will too.

Comment

Waaaaacky.

For those wondering, SID Antoine Bell will serve as interim AD. I expect The Dave will announce a nationwide search after the new year begins. Ideally, someone needs to be in by mid-April. Bill Bryant's article did a great job, but it didn't go into how Jim had to hire coaches for a majority of the department this summer. I don't expect that kind of turnover this summer, but you'd want to have someone in place to handle anything.

GFM
                                Geof F. Morris
                                UAH BSE MAE 2002
                                UAHHockey.com

Comment

Working...
                                X