X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Declaring Our Independence: UAH 2010-11, Part the First

Originally posted by Jon View Post
    Hi,
    So what can we fans of the Skating Goons expect from this weekend's tilt with UAH? Because if it's going to be anywhere near as awful as PC's trip to Duluth, feel free to lie.
    Young team that we've seen in two home games before a four-weekend road odyssey, so the bulk of us don't know.

GFM
    Geof F. Morris
    UAH BSE MAE 2002
    UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by chargersupporter View Post
      Heisenberg recruiting site says UAH has its first recruit for next year - Tyler Kotlarz - F -Carleton Place CJHL.
      The Internet says that Kotlarz is 6'0" 188#, RW, was 29-28--57 in 62GP with 26 PIM in 09-10, and is 9-8--17 with 12PIM in 24 GP so far this year. Last year, he was 9-10--19 on the PP plus 2SHG. Sounds like he'd fit right in with the 2010-11 "we don't score at even strength" Chargers.

GFM
      Geof F. Morris
      UAH BSE MAE 2002
      UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by JP1
        my apologies to any i've offended...i've been asked by person i know with ties to uah to keep it positive or stay quiet so i will honor that request...
        Apology accepted.

There are UAH fans here with a wide range of hockey and program knowlege. From "simply a fan" to former players/coaches so it's often a place where some fans can learn from others with more knowlege/experience. Many teachers say, "there are no stupid questions"... Personally, I'm not so sure about that, but if they are asked in a polite, inquisitive manner seeking an informed answer, I have no problem with them and look at it as an opportunity to help make a UAH fan better informed and thus, a better fan.

Trolls seeking to start flame wars or other stuff are usually handled best by simply ignoring them. That's what they hate the most. Making posts personal by name calling (except in the case of our friendly jabs at Beaver fans; you know who you are) are simply uncalled for. Take the opportunity to inform, not denigrate; it makes life so much better. Most here are Charger fans so we all have that in common. Doesn't mean we can't complain or deliver a properly timed "Duh"; it just means to keep it civil. JMHO
        Doug
        UAH 1974
        Charger Hockey - Born 1979 ~ Killed 2012
        Executioner: Malcom Portera - Chancellor, University of Alabama System
        Reason: Hates all things not in Tuscaloosa (i.e. UAH & UAB)
        Revived: Two Months Later - Thanks Nathan et al... Save UAH Hockey
        Reborn: 1/17/2013 - Thanks Bob - Thanks WCHA!!!

Comment

Time to pack my gear and head to the rink. I understand that due to the continuing Internet problems at the VBC there is no B2 television (check to be sure) for awhile but Live Stats are available HERE. You'll find them in the Sports Menu on the top right of the page.
          Doug
          UAH 1974
          Charger Hockey - Born 1979 ~ Killed 2012
          Executioner: Malcom Portera - Chancellor, University of Alabama System
          Reason: Hates all things not in Tuscaloosa (i.e. UAH & UAB)
          Revived: Two Months Later - Thanks Nathan et al... Save UAH Hockey
          Reborn: 1/17/2013 - Thanks Bob - Thanks WCHA!!!

Comment

I won't be at the game tonight, as I've really gone downhill with what I think is a sinus infection since the lunch. This is the first home game I've missed in over a decade. I'm really not happy.

GFM
            Geof F. Morris
            UAH BSE MAE 2002
            UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
              I won't be at the game tonight, as I've really gone downhill with what I think is a sinus infection since the lunch. This is the first home game I've missed in over a decade. I'm really not happy.

GFM
              Crud you too? I've been down with my infection for a week, and when trying to get someone to go with her tonight, my wife got constant responses of sick/ill from our friends. At least one of our other hockey fan folks is out with a migraine, and a second with what looks like the flu. This bites. I hope the students show.

Comment

Transcribing a information from a few random texts from my wife at the game:

1-0 PU after the first.
                1-1 after the second. UAH scored on the power play (never a surprise).

Someone threw corn on the cob on the ice. Really? Come one people, we're trying to convince them we're not rednecks. At least the blooming catfish is a tradition of the Pikes.

Ice is bad. Attendance is worse, but a fair number of parents are there include Lasse's (he's our Finn for those keeping score). Vince Bruni's brother was announced as the winner of Chuck-a-Puck.

I'm sure the folks who weren't sick will happily expand more on this when they get a chance... but I'm stuck here.

Go Chargers...!

Comment

Originally posted by jyoung View Post
                  Transcribing a information from a few random texts from my wife at the game:

1-0 PU after the first.
                  1-1 after the second. UAH scored on the power play (never a surprise).

Someone threw corn on the cob on the ice. Really? Come one people, we're trying to convince them we're not rednecks. At least the blooming catfish is a tradition of the Pikes.

Ice is bad. Attendance is worse, but a fair number of parents are there include Lasse's (he's our Finn for those keeping score). Vince Bruni's brother was announced as the winner of Chuck-a-Puck.

I'm sure the folks who weren't sick will happily expand more on this when they get a chance... but I'm stuck here.

Go Chargers...!
                  Hi everyone -- first post on here since...heck, I don't know. (After originally posting this, I realized this is my first post even though I joined 3 years ago. For introductions, I'm Michael Napier, class of '97, former UAH assistant SID.)

Came down from North Carolina to see this series. I thought Groh was solid as the Chargers were barraged again with shots.

The crowd was small. VBC's air conditioning couldn't be started. Sound system horrible. After a while, all I could think of was "we need to get out of this place." I know that won't be happening for a while yet, of course.

I originally thought the corn cob (which was thrown during said Chuck-A-Puck) was a potato. Whatever -- it was stupid.

We're going to try to bring my son to his first hockey game tonight. Go Chargers!!!
                  Michael Napier - UAH '97
                  uahhockey.com

UAH Chargers Hockey
                  U.S. National Club Champions - 1982, 1983, 1984
                  NCAA Division II National Champions - 1996, 1998
                  CHA Regular Season Champions - 2001, 2003
                  CHA Tournament Champions - 2007, 2010

Comment

Groh stopped 42 of 44. Doesn't matter if they were crappy chances, that's great.

GFM
                    Geof F. Morris
                    UAH BSE MAE 2002
                    UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by UAHStatman View Post
                      Hi everyone -- first post on here since...heck, I don't know. (After originally posting this, I realized this is my first post even though I joined 3 years ago. For introductions, I'm Michael Napier, class of '97, former UAH assistant SID.)

Came down from North Carolina to see this series. I thought Groh was solid as the Chargers were barraged again with shots.

The crowd was small. VBC's air conditioning couldn't be started. Sound system horrible. After a while, all I could think of was "we need to get out of this place." I know that won't be happening for a while yet, of course.

I originally thought the corn cob (which was thrown during said Chuck-A-Puck) was a potato. Whatever -- it was stupid.

We're going to try to bring my son to his first hockey game tonight. Go Chargers!!!
                      Welcome Michael.

My wife mentioned the disaster with the lights and sound. She said there was a loud pop at some point during the introductions which sounded like they blew a fuse. She didn't mention the AC issue, but I'm not surprised at it. She was however enjoying the early part of the game sans music. We're not so enamored of the song choices, and the volume is always a bit too high. I swear we want to cut the power every time we hear that stupid clap your hands song which our current audio person plays WAY too much.

Groh did everything he could to keep UAH in the game from what she said. Stopping more than 40 is impressive and very much in line with what I was lead to expect before the season from the young man. The third was an ENG anyway, even if it did result in a hat trick for the Friars.

The comments she gave amounted to 'the team falls apart when Sea Bass takes a walk'. I love the energy he brings to the team. I do not love the penalty minutes.

Comment

The comments she gave amounted to 'the team falls apart when Sea Bass takes a walk'. I love the energy he brings to the team. I do not love the penalty minutes.
                        At some point, you have to sit him. I think the only reason that it hasn't happened yet is depth: with Soupy still ineligible and at least one commitment not enrolling this fall, we have exactly one spare forward.

GFM
                        Geof F. Morris
                        UAH BSE MAE 2002
                        UAHHockey.com

Comment

At some point, you have to sit him. I think the only reason that it hasn't happened yet is depth: with Soupy still ineligible and at least one commitment not enrolling this fall, we have exactly one spare forward.

GFM
                          My wife saw Sea Bass at the game (sitting out) and he said he was suspended. So obviously he's been sat.

I take it nothing has changed with Soup?

Comment

I take it nothing has changed with Soup?
                            The University has filed an appeal on Campbell's eligibility and is waiting to hear back from the NCAA. [Insert joke about how the NCAA is busy with the Cam Newton investigation here.]

GFM
                            Geof F. Morris
                            UAH BSE MAE 2002
                            UAHHockey.com

Comment

The University has filed an appeal on Campbell's eligibility and is waiting to hear back from the NCAA. [Insert joke about how the NCAA is busy with the Cam Newton investigation here.]

GFM
                              Actually I was going to make a crack about them standing over the folks in North Dakota while they repaint half the campus to comply with the mascot ruling, but Auburn jokes work too. There are also jokes for Michigan, Alabama, USC, and a dozen other schools right now. Legit or not, they're busy little bees and out one player is pretty small fish when it comes to what they're going to prioritize.

Comment

Sigh...At least my son, who is 4 years old and autistic, paid more attention to the hockey than any of the baseball or basketball games we've taken him to. And he LOVES the Zamboni. So on a personal level, Saturday's game wasn't a loss.

Still, this season's starting to get difficult to watch, but of course I will anyway. Go Chargers!
                                Michael Napier - UAH '97
                                uahhockey.com

UAH Chargers Hockey
                                U.S. National Club Champions - 1982, 1983, 1984
                                NCAA Division II National Champions - 1996, 1998
                                CHA Regular Season Champions - 2001, 2003
                                CHA Tournament Champions - 2007, 2010

Comment

Working...
                                X