Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Declaring Our Independence: UAH 2010-11, Part the First

Originally posted by Douglas View Post
    Okay Geof, wheres the "smilie"??? ...and now it doesn't even start with UAH. Since I don't bookmark the individual thread (because I like to see and read others) it makes it harder to find sometimes...
    You old people complain too much.
    UAH - The Cleveland Browns of COLLEGE HOCKEY

Mike Anderson
    2006 Time Person of the Year
    Finger far off the pulse of college hockey, thanks to Mack Portera.
    It was fun for a whole lot of seasons.

"Give beer to those who are perishing, wine to those who are in anguish; let them drink and forget their poverty and remember their misery no more." Proverbs 31:6-7 (NIV)

Comment

Originally posted by MikeAnderson View Post
      At least he's not complaining about his season tickets...

GFM
      Geof F. Morris
      UAH BSE MAE 2002
      UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by MikeAnderson View Post
        Sheesh Mikey, you had to go back a ways for that one...
        Doug
        UAH 1974
        Charger Hockey - Born 1979 ~ Killed 2012
        Executioner: Malcom Portera - Chancellor, University of Alabama System
        Reason: Hates all things not in Tuscaloosa (i.e. UAH & UAB)
        Revived: Two Months Later - Thanks Nathan et al... Save UAH Hockey
        Reborn: 1/17/2013 - Thanks Bob - Thanks WCHA!!!

Comment

Good event tonight. Coach Luongo had nothing definitive to release, but he say that several sources have told him that the Big Ten Hockey Conference will happen. Certainly, this surprises no one reading USCHO this summer, but some in our fan community don't obsessively read the forum, you know? Lou said that UAH would likely be more "valuable" to the CCHA in a world where UMich/MSU/tOSU have left for greener pastures, and I have to agree. His focus was that the program continue to grow and prosper to the point where it makes a lot of sense for the CCHA to pick up the Chargers.

Here's what I have to wonder about: does an eight-team CCHA want to stay with an even number of teams? If so, the obvious team to round it out to ten would be Niagara.[1] Michigan teams can simply drive through southwestern Ontario to get to Monteagle Ridge, and the Ohio schools could just head through Cleveland like UAH always did.

The mechanics of this situation are interesting. PSU has publicly stated that they will start their program in '12-13 and be independent until '14-15, which indicates that they won't join the CCHA at all. The CCHA has indicated that they're okay with being an 11-team league for now. I am curious to see if non-Big Ten CCHA member schools will want to lash the Chargers to their ship for stability, and if that would change any minds in a future consideration of a UAH application. After all, it was the small schools who sunk the Chargers' chances in 2009.

GFM

[1] No, Michigan Tech is not going to leave the WCHA for the CCHA. Move along.
          Geof F. Morris
          UAH BSE MAE 2002
          UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
            Good event tonight. Coach Luongo had nothing definitive to release, but he say that several sources have told him that the Big Ten Hockey Conference will happen. Certainly, this surprises no one reading USCHO this summer, but some in our fan community don't obsessively read the forum, you know? Lou said that UAH would likely be more "valuable" to the CCHA in a world where UMich/MSU/tOSU have left for greener pastures, and I have to agree. His focus was that the program continue to grow and prosper to the point where it makes a lot of sense for the CCHA to pick up the Chargers.

Here's what I have to wonder about: does an eight-team CCHA want to stay with an even number of teams? If so, the obvious team to round it out to ten would be Niagara.[1] Michigan teams can simply drive through southwestern Ontario to get to Monteagle Ridge, and the Ohio schools could just head through Cleveland like UAH always did.

The mechanics of this situation are interesting. PSU has publicly stated that they will start their program in '12-13 and be independent until '14-15, which indicates that they won't join the CCHA at all. The CCHA has indicated that they're okay with being an 11-team league for now. I am curious to see if non-Big Ten CCHA member schools will want to lash the Chargers to their ship for stability, and if that would change any minds in a future consideration of a UAH application. After all, it was the small schools who sunk the Chargers' chances in 2009.

GFM

[1] No, Michigan Tech is not going to leave the WCHA for the CCHA. Move along.
            In other news:

1.) It looks like we'll start to get details about the Nashville tickets soon, possibly as early as the end of this week. Coach was hopeful and said the package deal is likely to be pretty good. Blake Geoffrion is getting pretty nice coverage up in Nashville due to the local connections, lets hope that also translates a bit to local fan interest (and favoritism) against Merrimack since we've got both of his brothers on the team.

2.) For those still wondering about Road Blues, the jersey hold up is now at the manufacturer level due to a back order on player jerseys. (I talked to Gavin about it.)

3.) There will be various charger events, i.e. Skate with the chargers, held this season. Details to be forthcoming.

4.) Increased community involvement does seem to be the order of the day, and yes that means hopefully attracting more local coverage from our media. Hopefully some of this will also translate into increased student and community attendance. (Not that 2,000 to 3,000 a game is bad, but we've got a big barn.) Coach did express some expectation for lower turnout at the Ferris games due to fall break being that week, but a push is on to promote the Providence games pretty heavily with the students.

5.) There is a movement to get the Pep Band to attend the Nashville game. (I got this tidbit from the band members.)

Comment

Originally posted by Douglas View Post
              Sheesh Mikey, you had to go back a ways for that one...
              I've been a little busy.

*****http://web24.twitpic.com/img/169548404-788fc9b226efc57c010d0451ea4641e1.4ca4acf8-full.jpg******

I had to start from the beginning of the thread.

(That one's for you, fangers)

HOW BOUT DEM CHARGERS!!!

Still excited that I get to go to the Nashville series...
              UAH - The Cleveland Browns of COLLEGE HOCKEY

Mike Anderson
              2006 Time Person of the Year
              Finger far off the pulse of college hockey, thanks to Mack Portera.
              It was fun for a whole lot of seasons.

"Give beer to those who are perishing, wine to those who are in anguish; let them drink and forget their poverty and remember their misery no more." Proverbs 31:6-7 (NIV)

Comment

Burkholder returns as captain, and the assistants are Baxter, DeBruyn, and Fairbanks. Thanks to Doug Eagan for the photos.

GFM
                Geof F. Morris
                UAH BSE MAE 2002
                UAHHockey.com

Comment

Okay, I'm bored... Why can't hockey start tonight? (Grumble)

Comment

If you sit in the lower bowl, I suggest bringing a dust rag with you on Thursday night. No, really. The construction dust is probably not going to be cleaned by the VBC by the time you get there, and you're going to want to wipe your seat down.

I love the VBC.

GFM
                    Geof F. Morris
                    UAH BSE MAE 2002
                    UAHHockey.com

Comment

Know Your Foe: Ferris State

GFM
                      Geof F. Morris
                      UAH BSE MAE 2002
                      UAHHockey.com

Comment

Looking at the roster, I notice a glaring loss, apparently. I realized Jarvinen, Coburn, and Talbot were gone early, but Cody Campbell, too? Is that an unfortunate omission, or are the Chargers actually without their three top scorers from last year (and all underclassmen at that)? sigh... Hope to make the Friday game and cheer the guys on.

Comment

Originally posted by wsp67326 View Post
                          Looking at the roster, I notice a glaring loss, apparently. I realized Jarvinen, Coburn, and Talbot were gone early, but Cody Campbell, too? Is that an unfortunate omission, or are the Chargers actually without their three top scorers from last year (and all underclassmen at that)? sigh... Hope to make the Friday game and cheer the guys on.
                          Well, I had wondered when I'd have to explain this ... I have an answer for you, but I need to check to see if I can publicly disclose the matter.

GFM
                          Geof F. Morris
                          UAH BSE MAE 2002
                          UAHHockey.com

Comment

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...eason_preview/

"Junior Cody Campbell, who led the Chargers in scoring last season with 22 points (eight goals, 14 assists) in 33 games, is expected to rejoin the team once his non-academic eligibility issues are resolved."

GFM
                            Geof F. Morris
                            UAH BSE MAE 2002
                            UAHHockey.com

Comment

Okay, so I've gotten the okay to pass this along.

Soupy had started school in BC in 2005-06, without any thought about playing US college hockey, while playing in junior B. He stopped after a term and didn't go back to school until coming to UAH. It was almost two years before he had any contact with UAH's Dennis Williams, who recruited him out of Burnaby. Because he had started school, this started his five-year NCAA eligibility clock.

The school is appealing his ineligibility, and for Soupy's sake even more than the team's, I hope that they reconsider. Obviously he's a loss on the front line for the Chargers, but I think the greater injustice is to Campbell, who was just trying to do the right thing for his future by starting to go to school at 18 like anyone else would have considered in his situation.

GFM
                              Geof F. Morris
                              UAH BSE MAE 2002
                              UAHHockey.com

Comment

Took some photos this morning at practice. I have much to learn from wnickelson, who's already given me a couple tips if I go shooting again tomorrow.

GFM
                                Geof F. Morris
                                UAH BSE MAE 2002
                                UAHHockey.com

Comment

Working...
                                X