X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Declaring Our Independence: UAH 2010-11, Part the First

Originally posted by boblav1 View Post
    FYI - Another recruit on the Heisenberg site:
    Jeff Vanderlugt-RW - Surrey (BCHL) 6'3 210, 3-12-90 (50-24-21-45-89)

also, MSU-Mankato released their schedule. UAH will be at Mankato Dec 9 & 10.
    http://www.msumavericks.com/news/201...425113107.aspx
    From what was said by the staff at the BLC, looks like a couple more d-men to be recruited and a goalie.

Comment

Hope all the Charger fans and their families in the Huntsville area are safe, first & foremost, and that they were spared any property damage as a result of all those storms.

Comment

Could Huntsville folks and fans check in and let us know you are safe??
        Cindy

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
        Courage to change the things I can,
        And wisdom to know the difference.

Comment

Originally posted by Third Family Member View Post
          I've just moved out of Huntsville so I'm not really there anymore, but I've gotten a hold of a number of local folks and so far everyone I've tried to find has been okay though a number are a bit rattled. It's a mess down there, and most of the area is without power so it may be as much as 5 days before most will be back online.

Comment

Huntsville proper was not damaged past trees and power lines down. Madison, where I live, is the same way. In outlying areas of Madison County, it's worse, but nothing awful. Last I heard 7dead in MC.

Power will be out for up to a week. The transmission line off of Browns Ferry nuclear power plant is destroyed. Most of north Alabama is without power. Madison County is entirely serviced by that trunk line. Unless you are texting folks, you won't hear from them unless they leave town. I'm in Jackson, Tenn. with my family.

UAH is fine. Campus is closed until further notice. They have a plan to start exams on Monday but I think even they'll agree that's optimistic.

Nothing in Huntsville compares to Cullman or Tuscaloosa. I cannot wrap my head around either one.

GFM
            Geof F. Morris
            UAH BSE MAE 2002
            UAHHockey.com

Comment

our thoughts are with you

Comment

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
                Huntsville proper was not damaged past trees and power lines down. Madison, where I live, is the same way. In outlying areas of Madison County, it's worse, but nothing awful. Last I heard 7dead in MC.

Power will be out for up to a week. The transmission line off of Browns Ferry nuclear power plant is destroyed. Most of north Alabama is without power. Madison County is entirely serviced by that trunk line. Unless you are texting folks, you won't hear from them unless they leave town. I'm in Jackson, Tenn. with my family.

UAH is fine. Campus is closed until further notice. They have a plan to start exams on Monday but I think even they'll agree that's optimistic.

Nothing in Huntsville compares to Cullman or Tuscaloosa. I cannot wrap my head around either one.

GFM
                I have an uncle who snowbirds to Cullman (his wife grew up in that area before moving to Minnesota). They left their place on Sunday, so I would venture they may be making a return trip that way.

Our thoughts are with you. Knowing what Wadena, MN, went through last year (I grew up around there and taught there for a few years), the recovery will take time, but it will happen.
                Millsy

NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
                FROZEN FOUR 2009!

"Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
                NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
                NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
                NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
                NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
                Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
                Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

Comment

GFM
                  Glad you're ok. The kid & his gf came back home yesterday, will head back once they get final word of new exam schedules.

Was bizzare to watch it unfold as the Huntsville area actually had @ 3 times the number of tornadoes, but fortunately not any near the size & strength of that one that hit Tuscaloosa/Birmingham/Cullman.

Continued thoughts & prayers for all impacted.

Comment

Sorry to bring this back to hockey, but I just noticed that UAH is at Minnesota State on Dec. 9/10 and at Bemdiji State the following weekend Dec. 16/17. I can't imagine that the Chargers would travel back and forth, but are they going to have to miss finals because of this scheduling? Also, anyone know if they are staying in Mankato, the Twin Cities or making it up to Bemidji for the off week? How about any fans - anyone planning on a road trip to Minnesota in December before it gets really cold ?
                    Current NCAA D-I rinks I've been to:

AHA:
                    B1G: UMich, MSU, UMinn, Notre Dame, OSU, UWisc
                    CCHA: BSU, BG, FSU, LSSU, MSU, MTU, NMU
                    ECAC:
                    HEA: UMass
                    NCHC: Miami, UMD, UND, SCSU, WMU
                    Independant: ASU

Inactive: UAH, ASU, BSU, UMD, UND, NMU, Notre Dame

Comment

Originally posted by moose97 View Post
                      Sorry to bring this back to hockey, but I just noticed that UAH is at Minnesota State on Dec. 9/10 and at Bemdiji State the following weekend Dec. 16/17. I can't imagine that the Chargers would travel back and forth, but are they going to have to miss finals because of this scheduling? Also, anyone know if they are staying in Mankato, the Twin Cities or making it up to Bemidji for the off week? How about any fans - anyone planning on a road trip to Minnesota in December before it gets really cold ?
                      Thier final exams for the fall semester are Dec 1-7

Comment

Originally posted by Third Family Member View Post
                        ... The transmission line off of Browns Ferry nuclear power plant is destroyed. Most of north Alabama is without power. Madison County is entirely serviced by that trunk line. ...
                        Actually, Huntsville is serviced by two trunk lines, that one from the west and another one from the east (Widow's Creek?). We live in the center of Huntsville and got power last night about dusk (from the east line). While Comcast restored cable service to us late last night, internet service was just restored within the last hour. The morning briefing from local officials and Huntsville Utilities reported that about 30% of HU customers have been brought back on line.

We have a 5500W generator and have been supplying power to three of our neighbors. One of our neighbors has Knology cable and internet service, and he has had cable and internet service during the power outage. Kudos to Knology!

Comment

I got power back around this time yesterday, apparently. I got home a little after noon today. Looks like UAH will be open again on Wednesday.

GFM <-- expecting that Huntsville and Madison will still be under curfew tonight.
                          Geof F. Morris
                          UAH BSE MAE 2002
                          UAHHockey.com

Comment

Hey all, got our power back late Sunday afternoon. Besides some trees we have no damage. Our grandson, at Alabama in Tuscaloosa, had a different story. He was at his friend's house, behind University Mall, when it hit. They dove into their neighbor's basement and when they came out, just two houses away was devastation. Alabama cancelled finals and told everyone that if they were satisfied with thier grades they should go home. Anyone not satisfied could come back in August for their finals. He's got a 3.9+ so we went down on Friday and got him. Found gas in both Priceville and Warrior on that day (will make sense to locals). McFarland Ave (main drag in T-town) was closed at the University Mall as was alot of other streets. Tons of devastation down there but we got him home safely. We also had a 5KW generator so kept the fridge going and the TV on. Did a lot of grillin' those days too.

Headed to Athens Saturday to check on relatives (a small pocket of power was there) but couldn't get there as traffic was backed up for miles. We got as far as where one of the tornadoes crossed Hwy 72 as high tension and other power lines were down all over, trees were either stripped bare, snapped off, or uprooted everywhere, and houses destroyed. We turned back there as there was no need to go any farther and become part of the problem. On of the Doppler radar's was there and the damaged tower was the only thing left as the dome and radar antenna atop it and power shack at the base were gone. I'm sure flying debris must have done most of the damage to it as it is located right in the "alley" and has seen severe winds alot of times.

We're all safe now and life is slowly recovering around here. Thanks for the interest from all of our hockey friends... and enemies...

PS - One benefit of the power being out over such a wide area was the night sky was as I remembered it as a kid. Millions of stars made the night sky beautiful once again. We saw constellations I haven't seen in fifty years. But for the sounds of generators all over the neighborhood it would have been perfectly peaceful... Sadly, the light pollution will begin again now so bye-bye stars...
                            Last edited by Douglas; 05-02-2011, 06:53 PM.
                            Doug
                            UAH 1974
                            Charger Hockey - Born 1979 ~ Killed 2012
                            Executioner: Malcom Portera - Chancellor, University of Alabama System
                            Reason: Hates all things not in Tuscaloosa (i.e. UAH & UAB)
                            Revived: Two Months Later - Thanks Nathan et al... Save UAH Hockey
                            Reborn: 1/17/2013 - Thanks Bob - Thanks WCHA!!!

Comment

Originally posted by moose97 View Post
                              Speaking of Minnesota when it gets really cold, the Chargers will be at defending national champion Minnesota-Duluth on Jan. 20-21. I'm trying to remember if UAH has ever played the defending champs before...

http://www.umdbulldogs.com/teams-men...?page=schedule
                              Michael Napier - UAH '97
                              uahhockey.com

UAH Chargers Hockey
                              U.S. National Club Champions - 1982, 1983, 1984
                              NCAA Division II National Champions - 1996, 1998
                              CHA Regular Season Champions - 2001, 2003
                              CHA Tournament Champions - 2007, 2010

Comment

The Doppler radar taken out was WAFF's. They also had a remote camera on the tower as well, so I watched it come right at it. It was incredible.

GFM
                                Geof F. Morris
                                UAH BSE MAE 2002
                                UAHHockey.com

Comment

Working...
                                X