Declaring Our Independence: UAH 2010-11, Part the First

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Declaring Our Independence: UAH 2010-11, Part the First

Michigan State thread says Danton Cole to be named Head Coach of their program today.

Comment

Update - some posters say new coach is Tom Anastos

Comment

Anastos confirmed.

Comment

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
          ... I'd love for you to come to a non-exclusive meeting of the Blue Line Club on Thursday, March 31st. I did not want the next time that we as boosters spoke with Coach Luongo and the hockey organization to be at the Hockey Banquest on Friday April 15th. As such, I'm putting together a gathering.

Pretty simple: Varsity Room of Spragins Hall [where we do Coaches' Luncheons], 7:00 p.m. Thursday March 31st, open to all interested in the present and future states of the UAH hockey program. ...
          The "process" used for scheduling should be a primary topic. Specifically, how can the BLC and "friends" help? The Rensselaer alumni's involvement with their games here this year was impressive. A formal attempt should be made to connect UAH hockey with alumni leaders in Huntsville from schools that have relevant hockey programs. Additionally, each relevant hockey program in the country should be matched to either a UAH hockey alumni or influential booster for the purpose of that person reaching-out to his/her assigned program as a UAH hockey "ambassador".

Regardless of any future UAH conference affiliation, the next several weeks could be critical for scheduling for the next several years. With the BTHC being formed and Anastos abandoning the CCHA, there have to be some "assumed" games could could be "snaked" by UAH. UAH schedulers need to be putting maximum effort into scheduling before the next "coaches" meeting rather than setting-back and waiting until the meeting.

However, these comments are based on the assumption that there is anyone left at UAH who could/would sign a contract. The "would " part of that could be a major assumption. That's a point that I'd hope could be honestly and frankly addressed at your meeting.
          Last edited by tnlong; 03-23-2011, 05:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tnlong View Post
            ...That's a point that I'd hope could be honestly and frankly addressed at your meeting.
            What's with the "your meeting" stuff, kimosabe... you not coming? I'd say it'd be a good thing to ask these questions yourself, don't you?

As for Anastos leaving the CCHA: IMHO that's a good thing... especially for us as he definitely has a "big-school" bias. I saw it when he visited here and heard it in comments afterwards. Too bad for Danton as I think most people, me included, thought he would get the State job.
            Doug
            UAH 1974
            Charger Hockey - Born 1979 ~ Killed 2012
            Executioner: Malcom Portera - Chancellor, University of Alabama System
            Reason: Hates all things not in Tuscaloosa (i.e. UAH & UAB)
            Revived: Two Months Later - Thanks Nathan et al... Save UAH Hockey
            Reborn: 1/17/2013 - Thanks Bob - Thanks WCHA!!!

Comment

We/I may or may not be there. Regardless, Coach should be given a list of potential topics well enough in advance for him to be prepared. Plus, it's a topic for advance thought for attendees also.

Anastos leaving the CCHA is a probably a great thing. It was unlikely that UAH would ever get into the CCHA as long as he was there. Unrest, discontent, and uncertainty in the CCHA may be a path for UAH's admittance.

The MSU job was Danton's to lose in 2007. 6-21-4, 5-20-5, and 12-18-3 at UAH sealed his fate.

Comment

The "process" used for scheduling should be a primary topic. Specifically, how can the BLC and "friends" help? The Rensselaer alumni's involvement with their games here this year was impressive. A formal attempt should be made to connect UAH hockey with alumni leaders in Huntsville from schools that have relevant hockey programs. Additionally, each relevant hockey program in the country should be matched to either a UAH hockey alumni or influential booster for the purpose of that person reaching-out to his/her assigned program as a UAH hockey "ambassador".

Regardless of any future UAH conference affiliation, the next several weeks could be critical for scheduling for the next several years. With the BTHC being formed and Anastos abandoning the CCHA, there have to be some "assumed" games could could be "snaked" by UAH. UAH schedulers need to be putting maximum effort into scheduling before the next "coaches" meeting rather than setting-back and waiting until the meeting.

However, these comments are based on the assumption that there is anyone left at UAH who could/would sign a contract. The "would " part of that could be a major assumption. That's a point that I'd hope could be honestly and frankly addressed at your meeting.
                These are good questions to ask. Scheduling is largely the domain of the coaches, who know the full dimension of what's at play: who is willing to come here, who's willing to home-and-home, who wants a one-off, etc. The coaching community is pretty close-knit, so it gets done pretty well. That said, I'm quite sure Chris would welcome any help we can provide.
                Geof F. Morris
                UAH BSE MAE 2002
                UAHHockey.com

Comment

If there is no conference home for UAH announced in the near future, is there any sense in scheduling out for years ahead ? UAH coaches, administrators have consistently said the program will not go on very long as an indpendent. Here`s hoping for some good news sooner than later re a conference for UAH to join.

Comment

Originally posted by chargersupporter View Post
                    If there is no conference home for UAH announced in the near future, is there any sense in scheduling out for years ahead ? UAH coaches, administrators have consistently said the program will not go on very long as an indpendent. Here`s hoping for some good news sooner than later re a conference for UAH to join.
                    While I am not at liberty to discuss what I currently know about scheduling [which isn't very much], I can tell you that Danton was scheduling out to 14-15 after the CCHA's 2009 decision. That's as far out as anyone schedules. It's worth continuing to pursue the scheduling if for no other reason that you hope to get into a league and want to get your OOC dates lined up.

GFM
                    Geof F. Morris
                    UAH BSE MAE 2002
                    UAHHockey.com

Comment

AD Search Update:

Three candidates will be on campus this week to interview for the Athletic Director position.

The candidates are:
                      E. J. Brophy, Ph.D., Director of Athletics, The University of West Alabama
                      Sean Johnson, Senior Associate AD for External Affairs, University of North Dakota
                      Leslie Claybrook, Senior Associate AD and Senior Woman Administrator, Rice University

You can view their resumes Here.

Which one do you think might know how important a DI hockey program can be to a DII school? I know my answer...
                      Doug
                      UAH 1974
                      Charger Hockey - Born 1979 ~ Killed 2012
                      Executioner: Malcom Portera - Chancellor, University of Alabama System
                      Reason: Hates all things not in Tuscaloosa (i.e. UAH & UAB)
                      Revived: Two Months Later - Thanks Nathan et al... Save UAH Hockey
                      Reborn: 1/17/2013 - Thanks Bob - Thanks WCHA!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Douglas View Post
                        AD Search Update:

Three candidates will be on campus this week to interview for the Athletic Director position.

The candidates are:
                        Sean Johnson, Senior Associate AD for External Affairs, University of North Dakota
                        Leslie Claybrook, Senior Associate AD and Senior Woman Administrator, Rice University

Which one do you think might know how important a DI hockey program can be to a DII school? I know my answer...
                        It also looks like he can score some points with the selection committee by doing the most important thing UAH needs at this time, marketing and bringing in $.

Comment

Originally posted by Douglas View Post
                          AD Search Update:

The candidates are:

To be fair, UND started it's transition to D-I in '07-'08, so I've got no idea how that translates to UAH's situation. Also, I've talked to someone who knows quite a few hockey folks over there, and they've never heard of Mr. Johnson. Take that for what it's worth.
                          Current NCAA D-I rinks I've been to:

AHA:
                          B1G: UMich, MSU, UMinn, Notre Dame, OSU, UWisc
                          CCHA: BSU, BG, FSU, LSSU, MSU, MTU, NMU
                          ECAC:
                          HEA: UMass
                          NCHC: Miami, UMD, UND, SCSU, WMU
                          Independant: ASU

Inactive: UAH, ASU, BSU, UMD, UND, NMU, Notre Dame

Comment

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2...finalists.html
                            http://www.fightingsiou*****/ViewArt...ATCLID=3745307
                            http://www2.und.edu/our/uletterArchi...backID=82#4805

Comment

Conflicts of interest:
                              1. Given that I am presently Athletics staff, I will not be able or willing to comment.
                              2. Given that I am Blue Line Club president, I am excusing any chance to meet any of the candidates. I don't want anyone having the opinion that hockey got more facetime with these candidates than the other sports did. [I think that it's pretty unlikely that this would be an issue, but I just want to avoid it altogether.]

GFM <-- wants an AD who will be good for the entire Athletic department, with an eye to the fact that the bellwether sports at UAH are hockey, basketball, and softball.
                              Geof F. Morris
                              UAH BSE MAE 2002
                              UAHHockey.com

Comment

Seems like all three bring something unique to the table, from experience working within the Alabama state system to media/student engagement and hockey program experience to fairly high level NCAA level activity. Interesting that each of the bellwether sports the GFM mentioned appears to be represented.

Comment

Working...
                                X