Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Declaring Our Independence: UAH 2010-11, Part the First

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
    I expect that the UAH boosters who come to Wednesday night's Meet the Chargers event will hear some interesting things about the program's future.

GFM
    Anna's got the day off, so it won't be a fight for her, and I'll be running late depending upon how long I want to stay for class. Stupid 5:30 to 8:30 classes. We normally get out around 8'ish, but from what I read of Couch Luongo's letter the best info will be had around 7:30ish.

BTW Geoff, it's good to see you back.

Comment

Someone "in the know" needs to inform USCHO that the UAH 1/8/11 game v's Bemidji is at 3:05 instead of 7:05.
      http://www.uscho.com/schedules/team..../gender,m.html

Comment

Originally posted by tnlong View Post
        Someone "in the know" needs to inform USCHO that the UAH 1/8/11 game v's Bemidji is at 3:05 instead of 7:05.
        http://www.uscho.com/schedules/team..../gender,m.html
        I've sent an appropriate person an email.

GFM
        Geof F. Morris
        UAH BSE MAE 2002
        UAHHockey.com

Comment

My motherboard died on an older computer I have used as a DVR. I pulled out the harddrive and to make sure there was nothing I really wanted to keep, and just finished watching two UAH games from last season. I also watched a couple RIT games, and it struck me that UAH's first two lines were very similiar in size, speed, and shots. The big gap was in both the third and fourth lines (RIT's seemed like much more of a unit and less breakdowns defensively) and a lot of luck getting shots in.

Seeing on how well RIT did last season (and Bemidji the season before that), I just all of a sudden feel a lot better about UAH. Yes this is a rebuilding season, yes there is a lack of conference (thus no autobid), and yes the future is unknown (BTHC), but UAH can become the cinderella team and not only get a bid, but make it to the frozen four.

I guess I had been all doom and gloom with BTHC, but right here, right now, it does not matter.

I cannot wait for the season to begin!

Comment

My main concern about the Chargers this year is the unproven goaltender situation.

I'm hoping to catch practice one day this week.

GFM
            Geof F. Morris
            UAH BSE MAE 2002
            UAHHockey.com

Comment

GFM... keeping the positive thoughts going for both you and the UAH situation.

Any new blue line button sayings for this year? The biscuit buttons were a classic. Too bad it isn't January now... gotta love the UAH-BSU match up.

Comment

Originally posted by true2BSU View Post
                Any new blue line button sayings for this year? The biscuit buttons were a classic. Too bad it isn't January now... gotta love the UAH-BSU match up.
                Actually, those weren't BLC buttons. I don't know if anything new will be done with the BLC this year; I got the title pretty late in the summer, and I've been advised by a prominent booster to focus my energies on next season, and I think he's exactly right. I'm certainly not going to blow off this year, because I'd like this to be a better membership year, but I do need to get out ahead of it for next year.

FWIW, Terry, the USCHO folks jumped right on the change. Thanks for noticing.

GFM <-- just knows who over here to email.
                Geof F. Morris
                UAH BSE MAE 2002
                UAHHockey.com

Comment

Ice is starting to be put down at the VBC today!!!
                  "Great moments are born from great opportunities." -- Herb Brooks

Ohio State Women's Club Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by fangers
                    Tease. Assume you'll let those of us not able to attend in on things?

Glad you're doing better
                    Well, I don't know what all Lou will be able to say. I know what he told me when he visited me in the hospital on Tuesday; I don't know if he knows any more past that at this point, and if so, what he'll be able to share with the boosters.

GFM
                    Geof F. Morris
                    UAH BSE MAE 2002
                    UAHHockey.com

Comment

*****http://www.flickr.com/photos/48363881@N03/5031295214/******
                      "Great moments are born from great opportunities." -- Herb Brooks

Ohio State Women's Club Hockey

Comment

I went to watch practice this morning, as I am temporarily unemployed and all that. They looked great at times and meh at times. My favorite of all the lines by far was SGeoffrion-Cseter-Desmet, but as they'd played together some last year, that's not a surprise. Something I didn't notice until I saw them on the ice: only Curtis DeBruyn and Mat Hagen are under 6'0" on the blue line, and neither of them plays like a small guy. I've been worried about the defense a bit, but I'm much less worried after watching those guys work this morning. Trevor Conrad lives to punish people.

The offense is still going to take time to gel, I think. A couple forwards were banged up, so they weren't at full speed. Cody Dion is impressive on the ice; he reminds me of a lot of what we saw from Matti Järvinen, but he's a better two-way player. During a 5-on-4 drill, Dion was really effective in the high slot, not only with his stickwork giving him a lot of reach, but with good body position and an instinct for when to jump the puck.

The question for the Blue and White is always going to be if they can score. I think they will be better than last year, but last year was pretty bad.

GFM
                        Geof F. Morris
                        UAH BSE MAE 2002
                        UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
                          I went to watch practice this morning, as I am temporarily unemployed and all that. They looked great at times and meh at times. My favorite of all the lines by far was SGeoffrion-Cseter-Desmet, but as they'd played together some last year, that's not a surprise. Something I didn't notice until I saw them on the ice: only Curtis DeBruyn and Mat Hagen are under 6'0" on the blue line, and neither of them plays like a small guy. I've been worried about the defense a bit, but I'm much less worried after watching those guys work this morning. Trevor Conrad lives to punish people.

The offense is still going to take time to gel, I think. A couple forwards were banged up, so they weren't at full speed. Cody Dion is impressive on the ice; he reminds me of a lot of what we saw from Matti Järvinen, but he's a better two-way player. During a 5-on-4 drill, Dion was really effective in the high slot, not only with his stickwork giving him a lot of reach, but with good body position and an instinct for when to jump the puck.

The question for the Blue and White is always going to be if they can score. I think they will be better than last year, but last year was pretty bad.

GFM
                          With a tough schedule, three goalies that have not played one minute of NCAA D-1 hockey, and about half of the team being freshmen, can't see the team being as strong defensively as it was last year.

Comment

Originally posted by chargersupporter View Post
                            With a tough schedule, three goalies that have not played one minute of NCAA D-1 hockey, and about half of the team being freshmen, can't see the team being as strong defensively as it was last year.
                            When I say the defense, I was meaning the defensemen directly. The goaltending situation is totally unproven, and none of them have the pedigree that Talbot had coming in from juniors.

GFM
                            Geof F. Morris
                            UAH BSE MAE 2002
                            UAHHockey.com

Comment

Speaking as a college hockey fan, I was sincerely dissapointed that the CCHA did now allow your program into our conference, I think it would've been a great oppurtunity to spread college hockey throughout your region, best of luck this season, here's hoping your team can ruffle enough feathers on the ice to fight their way into a conference!

Comment

Well, Scott Munroe is definitely in the KHL, playing for Nizhnekamsk Neftekhimik, living in Nizhnekamsk in the Republic of Tatarstan inside the Russian Federation. The team doesn't seem to be very good, and he's off to an okay start.

GFM
                                Geof F. Morris
                                UAH BSE MAE 2002
                                UAHHockey.com

Comment

Working...
                                X