X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Declaring Our Independence: UAH 2010-11, Part the First

E.J. is definitely a Baseball man.
    Leslie is definitely a Basketball man.
    With Sean it's hard to say exactly but he does acknowledge and is aware of hockey.
    With that said, if none of the UND hockey folks that Moose knows have ever heard of him, exactly what has he done for hockey (his resume not withstanding) that the UND hockey folk don't know about? Hmmmmmm... Who ever we get, I hope he knows his way around the NCAA and can engratiate himself to the DI hockey folk quickly and effectively.
    Doug
    UAH 1974
    Charger Hockey - Born 1979 ~ Killed 2012
    Executioner: Malcom Portera - Chancellor, University of Alabama System
    Reason: Hates all things not in Tuscaloosa (i.e. UAH & UAB)
    Revived: Two Months Later - Thanks Nathan et al... Save UAH Hockey
    Reborn: 1/17/2013 - Thanks Bob - Thanks WCHA!!!

Comment

If you come to the open BLC meeting tomorrow night, you'll get the coaches' take on each candidate. Brophy met with everyone Tuesday, Johnson today, and Claybrook rounds things out tomorrow morning.

GFM
      Geof F. Morris
      UAH BSE MAE 2002
      UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
        If you come to the open BLC meeting tomorrow night, you'll get the coaches' take on each candidate. Brophy met with everyone Tuesday, Johnson today, and Claybrook rounds things out tomorrow morning.

GFM
        We'll be there...
        Doug
        UAH 1974

Comment

Originally posted by Douglas View Post
          E.J. is definitely a Baseball man.
          Leslie is definitely a Basketball man.
          With Sean it's hard to say exactly but he does acknowledge and is aware of hockey.
          With that said, if none of the UND hockey folks that Moose knows have ever heard of him, exactly what has he done for hockey (his resume not withstanding) that the UND hockey folk don't know about? Hmmmmmm... Who ever we get, I hope he knows his way around the NCAA and can engratiate himself to the DI hockey folk quickly and effectively.
          re: Leslie - I assumed female?

re: Sean - the couple UND folks I know & talked with (parents of current players) spoke well of him, so who really knows, maybe he was more behind the scenes, someone the fans may not directly interact with?

Comment

http://www.riceowls.com/genrel/claybrook_leslie00.html

Comment

http://www.uwaathletics.com/staff.aspx?staff=1
              http://www.fightingsioux.com/ViewArt...ATCLID=3745307

Comment

An interesting article on a website (I believe geared to Miami Redhawks followers) out of Kentucy re: solution to conference realignment.

http://www.kypost.com/dpps/sports/sp...,-wcha_6215725

I think all UAH supporters should lobby to have this writer appointed to a new position within the NCAA as "Director of NCAA DI Hockey - Conference Realignment Committee".

Charger #2

Comment

Originally posted by Charger #2 View Post
                  An interesting article on a website (I believe geared to Miami Redhawks followers) out of Kentucy re: solution to conference realignment.

I think all UAH supporters should lobby to have this writer appointed to a new position within the NCAA as "Director of NCAA DI Hockey - Conference Realignment Committee".

Charger #2
                  Interesting read, thanks. Too bad I think the "common sense" solutions aren't going to win out, particularly not ones which we as UAH fans are likely to view as the most "reasonable". I'm just going to wait and see.

Now, what happened last night Geoff?

Comment

Originally posted by Charger #2 View Post

Charger #2
                    Yeah, John is a friend. He's big Miami fan and writes for the Cincinnati/NKy papers (hockey primarily). I like his thinking, but more importantly it's a concept that Jeff Jackson has voiced support for.

Comment

The Blue Line Club meeting last night came off quite well. The room was, surprisingly to me, packed (SRO) especially against such TV competition as American Idol and The Big Bang Theory... but hey, hockey people have their priorities straight! The scheduled for barely an hour meeting went on for over two hours with some good info coming out (nothing that wasn't expected though) and good enthusiasm for moving things forward. Gavin put on a presentation that really put the plight of a team whose facilities are not their own into perspective and it really fired up the discussions. Ideas started flying and we even had a professional lobbyist throwing his two-cents in claiming to be "fired up" about the program and expressing a willingness to get involved. Geof (BLC Prez) certainly has his work cut out for him in organizing all this energy into focused action, not to mention the coaches roles in all of this. Discussions even came out as to the possibility of moving the BLC out of school control and once again becoming an independent organization so the restrictions of a school based club could be overcome.

A teacher gave her thoughts on how to get more teachers, and thus more students, involved in supporting hockey as well as other UAH sports. Good info as it involves the players in the classrooms to help do her suggestions. The long range plans of having an on-campus arena was, as always, discussed and ways of making the building a multi-use facility is likely the way to get it on the school's priority list sooner than later. Especially if the Basketball team keeps up its winning ways as people have been turned away from their present arena due to its high-school sized seating capacity. Baseball and softball has their own on-campus facilities now so it's only logical to want to move hockey on campus and if we can combine the functionality of that home, all the better for our chances.

Geof is scheduling another meeting in early May for more organizing and to hear about the results of the Frozen Four meetings and the Coaches conference in late April. By then we should have a much better feeling for what coaches in the WCHA and CCHA are thinking about... but not necessarily what the Presidents and AD's of those schools are thinking. Next up, more wait and see...
                      Doug
                      UAH 1974

Comment

Originally posted by Douglas View Post
                        The Blue Line Club meeting last night came off quite well. The room was, surprisingly to me, packed (SRO) especially against such TV competition as American Idol and The Big Bang Theory... but hey, hockey people have their priorities straight! The scheduled for barely an hour meeting went on for over two hours with some good info coming out (nothing that wasn't expected though) and good enthusiasm for moving things forward. Gavin put on a presentation that really put the plight of a team whose facilities are not their own into perspective and it really fired up the discussions. Ideas started flying and we even had a professional lobbyist throwing his two-cents in claiming to be "fired up" about the program and expressing a willingness to get involved. Geof (BLC Prez) certainly has his work cut out for him in organizing all this energy into focused action, not to mention the coaches roles in all of this. Discussions even came out as to the possibility of moving the BLC out of school control and once again becoming an independent organization so the restrictions of a school based club could be overcome.

A teacher gave her thoughts on how to get more teachers, and thus more students, involved in supporting hockey as well as other UAH sports. Good info as it involves the players in the classrooms to help do her suggestions. The long range plans of having an on-campus arena was, as always, discussed and ways of making the building a multi-use facility is likely the way to get it on the school's priority list sooner than later. Especially if the Basketball team keeps up its winning ways as people have been turned away from their present arena due to its high-school sized seating capacity. Baseball and softball has their own on-campus facilities now so it's only logical to want to move hockey on campus and if we can combine the functionality of that home, all the better for our chances.

Geof is scheduling another meeting in early May for more organizing and to hear about the results of the Frozen Four meetings and the Coaches conference in late April. By then we should have a much better feeling for what coaches in the WCHA and CCHA are thinking about... but not necessarily what the Presidents and AD's of those schools are thinking. Next up, more wait and see...
                        Interesting, too bad we're just going to have to fade into the background somewhat due to distance so I don't know what, if any, real part we're going to be able to have in this endeavor.

I want the arena on campus, I think we need about a 4,500 seat barn for hockey / basketball, the 7,000 is just too big and the 2,250 of Spragins is too small. Though if it could have some expansion options (some of the new ones are pretty versatile) to get configurations up over 5,000 that'd be great for other events like graduation, bands, etc. Having the banners for both sports in the rafters would be great too. They need a good home, and while the VBC is getting a serious facelift, it's just not the same as your own digs with your colors.

For the record, we neither watch nor care about either American Idol or Big Bang Theory. If I want to talk to physics geeks, I just go back to UAH. If I want to watch singing, I stick my head out the door. (It is Nashville, after all). Hockey first, always.

I don't know enough to have a legitimate opinion of the candidates for AD. I know which one strikes me as the best choice for the job based on a little reading, but that's very superficial and would merely prove the point of how dangerous a little information is. I'm going to hang back and wait to see whom they hire and just hope that they have sufficient information to make the best choice for the school. Easier said than done.

So, what is the time table on the AD decision? It's a complicated decision granted, and I know we're having issues right now with leadership, what with Williams jumping ship to Ohio State abruptly, and the loss of Jim Harris (hence the need, obviously). We're also replacing our VP of Research last I heard, and our assistant provost retired, so there will be a lot of new faces come this Fall. That's also on the heels of Shelia's (well deserved) retirement as Assistant AD last year. Hopefully the folks we fill in these positions will be as supportive of the Hockey (and other athletics) as some of the ones we lost.

Finally, I remember some discussion last year about redesigning the charger logo. Anyone have news on that? (If we have to, I'd like to steal our propulsion research center's artist.)

Comment

Actually, the next meeting is Thursday. I tried to push it to May for two reasons: 1) I'm busy sports informing in April and 2) I wanted to see if folks wanted to meet sooner. They did. I expect that to be a smaller group. I am inclined for any other meetings in April to be BLC-only so people will have to pay up if they want a voice.

It was nice to see people care about some of the problems we face. We're a few years overdue to have that meeting, but isn't that one of the reasons I was pulled aboard? I just wish my life hadn't fallen apart in September so we could have gotten started sooner.

GFM
                          Geof F. Morris
                          UAH BSE MAE 2002
                          UAHHockey.com

Comment

Actually, the next meeting is Thursday. I tried to push it to May for two reasons: 1) I'm busy sports informing in April and 2) I wanted to see if folks wanted to meet sooner. They did. I expect that to be a smaller group. I am inclined for any other meetings in April to be BLC-only so people will have to pay up if they want a voice.

It was nice to see people care about some of the problems we face. We're a few years overdue to have that meeting, but isn't that one of the reasons I was pulled aboard? I just wish my life hadn't fallen apart in September so we could have gotten started sooner.

GFM
                            This Thursday (the 7th)? Assuming it's in the evening again, I might be able to make it (the family and I are driving to Huntsville that day).

"Sports informing." I like that.

Michael Napier
                            Michael Napier - UAH '97
                            uahhockey.com

UAH Chargers Hockey
                            U.S. National Club Champions - 1982, 1983, 1984
                            NCAA Division II National Champions - 1996, 1998
                            CHA Regular Season Champions - 2001, 2003
                            CHA Tournament Champions - 2007, 2010

Comment

Originally posted by UAHStatman View Post
                              This Thursday (the 7th)? Assuming it's in the evening again, I might be able to make it (the family and I are driving to Huntsville that day).

"Sports informing." I like that.

Michael Napier
                              Yeah, Thursday at 7. I have created a mailing list for those near and far. If you're interested, sign up: http://uahhockey.com/mailman/listinf..._uahhockey.com

I thought you'd like "sports informing", Michael.

GFM
                              Geof F. Morris
                              UAH BSE MAE 2002
                              UAHHockey.com

Comment

...I am inclined for any other meetings in April to be BLC-only so people will have to pay up if they want a voice...GFM
                                PLEASE don't do that Geof. For one thing, you-know-who couldn't handle it (Example: I made my BLC donation before the first game last year and never was officially credited with even being in the BLC; never made the program; never got a membership card). I was told "Oops", you paid so early the list wasn't started yet. Only the people that joined the BLC after the season actually started last year made the "official" list.

Right now we need all the help and volunteers we can get. Don't shut anyone out and don't get greedy just yet. Let's get everyone we can involved and "locked-in", they'll join when the season rolls around. Wait until the season is here before considering that sort of action.
                                Last edited by Douglas; 04-04-2011, 06:21 PM.
                                Doug
                                UAH 1974

Comment

Working...
                                X