Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Declaring Our Independence: UAH 2010-11, Part the First

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Re: Declaring Our Independence: UAH 2010-11, Part the First

    Originally posted by Douglas View Post
    AD Search Update:

    The search committee has narrowed the candidate pool of AD's to four, with on-campus interviews next week. I don't know names yet. And no info on their experience with DI hockey either...
    thanks...good to know things progressing...

    Comment


    • Re: Declaring Our Independence: UAH 2010-11, Part the First

      Heard today that Jared is leaving for Germany; not sure if it's after this season with the Chicago Wolves or immediately. Also understand he is the father of a 17-month old child. Any idea how Munroe is doing in Uzbekistan (or wherever he has gone)?

      Still upset that Penn State makes a claim to UAH's 1984 national championship, too. Just sayin'.

      Cheers to everyone.

      Comment


      • Re: Declaring Our Independence: UAH 2010-11, Part the First

        http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/l...050292011.html

        Comment


        • Re: Declaring Our Independence: UAH 2010-11, Part the First

          Heisenberg recruiting site says UAH has another forward recruit. Michael Webley from Gloucester - same team as another recruit Creppin.

          Still looks like some holes to fill, assuming everybody coming back.

          Comment


          • Re: Declaring Our Independence: UAH 2010-11, Part the First

            Originally posted by Douglas View Post
            AD Search Update:

            The search committee has narrowed the candidate pool of AD's to four, with on-campus interviews next week. I don't know names yet. And no info on their experience with DI hockey either...
            Could this be a wrinkle to the search? Dr. Williams is leaving: http://ht.ly/4ebss
            Michael Napier - UAH '97
            uahhockey.com

            UAH Chargers Hockey
            U.S. National Club Champions - 1982, 1983, 1984
            NCAA Division II National Champions - 1996, 1998
            CHA Regular Season Champions - 2001, 2003
            CHA Tournament Champions - 2007, 2010

            Comment


            • Re: Declaring Our Independence: UAH 2010-11, Part the First

              Originally posted by UAHStatman View Post
              Could this be a wrinkle to the search? Dr. Williams is leaving: http://ht.ly/4ebss
              What sticks out to me is that it's effective 1 April. I would hope he has some say into the new AD hire, as he's been a supporter of the hockey program, and hope it'e finalized by then. Otherwise, never know what stance the new president may take.
              Last edited by fangers; 03-14-2011, 03:48 PM.

              Comment


              • Re: Declaring Our Independence: UAH 2010-11, Part the First

                Originally posted by fangers View Post
                What sticks out to me is that it's effective 1 April.
                Dave Williams was just run out on a rail. The Times has him leaving town next month, which means that there's some bad blood going on between him and the Board of Trustees.

                What it means for hockey or anything with UAH Athletics, who knows? Despite being a nerdy academic, Dave had a strong passion for athletics, including a desire to have all teams compete on campus. Baseball and softball now have their own on-campus facilities. The obvious question becomes about hockey, but I think we can all appreciate that the uncertainty with the league situation keeps anyone at the system level from wanting to float a construction bond while state tax revenues are declining.

                An aside: if you're in town and free tomorrow night, you should come to Spragins and see the men's basketball team play. They're in the round of 16, and tomorrow is the chance to win the region and make the D-II Elite Eight. [D-II does eight regionals, and each winner goes to Springfield, MA.] This UAH team is really, really good, and Spragins is rocking right now.

                GFM
                Geof F. Morris
                UAH BSE MAE 2002
                UAHHockey.com

                Comment


                • Re: Declaring Our Independence: UAH 2010-11, Part the First

                  Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
                  What it means for hockey or anything with UAH Athletics, who knows? Despite being a nerdy academic, Dave had a strong passion for athletics, including a desire to have all teams compete on campus. Baseball and softball now have their own on-campus facilities. The obvious question becomes about hockey, but I think we can all appreciate that the uncertainty with the league situation keeps anyone at the system level from wanting to float a construction bond while state tax revenues are declining.
                  Certainly concerning... All I ever heard from Danton or Chis was that, "the AD and President are behind D-I hockey..." now neither are there anymore.

                  Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
                  An aside: if you're in town and free tomorrow night, you should come to Spragins and see the men's basketball team play. They're in the round of 16, and tomorrow is the chance to win the region and make the D-II Elite Eight. [D-II does eight regionals, and each winner goes to Springfield, MA.] This UAH team is really, really good, and Spragins is rocking right now.
                  What is this "floor basketball" you speak of?
                  Current NCAA D-I rinks I've been to:

                  AHA:
                  B1G: UMinn, UWisc
                  ECAC:
                  HEA: UMass, Notre Dame
                  NCHC: UMD, UND, SCSU, WMU
                  WCHA: UAH, BSU, FSU, LSSU, MSU, MTU, NMU

                  Inactive: BSU, UMD, UND, NMU, Notre Dame

                  Comment


                  • Re: Declaring Our Independence: UAH 2010-11, Part the First

                    Geoff - that kind of thing popped in my head when I saw that he was leaving so quickly, as compared to the end of the school year.

                    Moose - yeah, concerning for sure, given the timing. AD candidates coming in, state budgets being finalized, hope it wasn't about cuts to athletics budgets.
                    Last edited by fangers; 03-15-2011, 05:59 AM.

                    Comment


                    • Re: Declaring Our Independence: UAH 2010-11, Part the First

                      I will be very, very surprised if the program goes away if a conference solution is found.

                      GFM
                      Geof F. Morris
                      UAH BSE MAE 2002
                      UAHHockey.com

                      Comment


                      • Re: Declaring Our Independence: UAH 2010-11, Part the First

                        Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
                        I will be very, very surprised if the program goes away if a conference solution is found.

                        GFM
                        Hopefully UAH getting considered in CCHA talks about future of league.

                        http://www.uscho.com/2011/03/16/as-b...-look-forward/

                        Comment


                        • Re: Declaring Our Independence: UAH 2010-11, Part the First

                          Originally posted by chargersupporter View Post
                          Hopefully UAH getting considered in CCHA talks about future of league.

                          http://www.uscho.com/2011/03/16/as-b...-look-forward/
                          I guess that would answer the question I had about timing the announcement before the ACHA meetings.
                          Michael Napier - UAH '97
                          uahhockey.com

                          UAH Chargers Hockey
                          U.S. National Club Champions - 1982, 1983, 1984
                          NCAA Division II National Champions - 1996, 1998
                          CHA Regular Season Champions - 2001, 2003
                          CHA Tournament Champions - 2007, 2010

                          Comment


                          • Re: Declaring Our Independence: UAH 2010-11, Part the First

                            This is a perfect segue. I'm sure that all of the local Huntsville people that I'll be emailing here in a few minutes are on the list, but if not: I'd love for you to come to a non-exclusive meeting of the Blue Line Club on Thursday, March 31st. I did not want the next time that we as boosters spoke with Coach Luongo and the hockey organization to be at the Hockey Banquest on Friday April 15th. As such, I'm putting together a gathering.

                            Pretty simple: Varsity Room of Spragins Hall [where we do Coaches' Luncheons], 7:00 p.m. Thursday March 31st, open to all interested in the present and future states of the UAH hockey program.

                            For those not in attendance, I'll work to have wider distribution of the items said at that meeting [i.e.: the Web] as is acceptable.

                            If you're in town, I hope to see you there.

                            GFM
                            Geof F. Morris
                            UAH BSE MAE 2002
                            UAHHockey.com

                            Comment


                            • Re: Declaring Our Independence: UAH 2010-11, Part the First

                              Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
                              This is a perfect segue. I'm sure that all of the local Huntsville people that I'll be emailing here in a few minutes are on the list, but if not: I'd love for you to come to a non-exclusive meeting of the Blue Line Club on Thursday, March 31st. I did not want the next time that we as boosters spoke with Coach Luongo and the hockey organization to be at the Hockey Banquet on Friday April 15th. As such, I'm putting together a gathering.

                              Pretty simple: Varsity Room of Spragins Hall [where we do Coaches' Luncheons], 7:00 p.m. Thursday March 31st, open to all interested in the present and future states of the UAH hockey program.

                              For those not in attendance, I'll work to have wider distribution of the items said at that meeting [i.e.: the Web] as is acceptable.

                              If you're in town, I hope to see you there.

                              GFM
                              The odds are that we're not going to be able to attend that meeting. It's a 4 1/2 hour drive after a full day at work, then another 2 1/2 back again afterwards, and that's just not going to happen. I'll be in town next on the 5th of April, and we're going to try to make it the 15th.

                              Comment


                              • Re: Declaring Our Independence: UAH 2010-11, Part the First

                                http://www.bigten.org/genrel/032111aab.html

                                "Men's Ice Hockey To Be Recommended As Official Big Ten Sport Beginning With 2013-14 Academic Year

                                March 21, 2011

                                Park Ridge, Ill. - The directors of athletics of Big Ten institutions which sponsor men's ice hockey unanimously announce their intention to recommend to the Big Ten Council of Presidents/Chancellors in June the establishment of men's ice hockey as an official conference sport for the 2013-14 academic year with participation by Michigan, Michigan State, Minnesota, Ohio State, Penn State and Wisconsin.

                                The recommendation includes both the establishment of the inaugural Big Ten Men's Ice Hockey Tournament in March of 2014, with the winner earning the conference's automatic bid to the NCAA Men's Ice Hockey Championship, and a 20-game conference schedule with each team playing the other five schools four times (two home games and two away games). In addition, the Big Ten's men's ice hockey programs will continue to proactively work to maintain a strong schedule of non-conference competition with the Central Collegiate Hockey Association (CCHA) and Western Collegiate Hockey Association (WCHA).

                                In September of 2010, Penn State announced the establishment of men's and women's ice hockey programs set to begin competition in the 2012-13 academic year, giving the Big Ten six institutions sponsoring men's ice hockey. Big Ten rules allow for a conference championship when six institutions sponsor a program in any given sport.

                                Since Penn State's announcement, the conference has researched and investigated the establishment of men's ice hockey as a conference sport. The conference has sought input and communicated both internally with conference chancellors, presidents, administrators and coaches, and externally with members of the hockey community, including the CCHA and WCHA.

                                With the addition of Nebraska on July 1, 2011, the broad-based athletic programs of the 12 Big Ten institutions will sponsor 298 teams with more than 9,500 men and women student-athletes competing for Big Ten Championships. The conference currently features 25 official conference sports, 12 for men and 13 for women. The last official conference sport established by the Big Ten was women's rowing in the 1999-2000 academic year."

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X