Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Declaring Our Independence: UAH 2010-11, Part the First

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Re: Declaring Our Independence: UAH 2010-11, Part the First

    While Saunders' performance was quite amazing, getting a win while being outshot 58 - 17 is a story that's more embarrassing than anything i.m.h.o.

    Comment


    • Re: Declaring Our Independence: UAH 2010-11, Part the First

      Originally posted by tnlong View Post
      While Saunders' performance was quite amazing, getting a win while being outshot 58 - 17 is a story that's more embarrassing than anything i.m.h.o.
      SOG is the single most over-rated stat in the history of sports. I remember UNO chirping about out-shooting Quinnipiac 112-62 yet getting swept the weekend before BSU went down there and took 3 pts., and all I could think about was how UNO's shots when they came up here were all from the outside and not very threatening at all. The old, UNO out-shot BSU, but BSU out-chanced them. I mean, we even talked about it at length on College Hockey Tonight, where a coach can preach that any shot on goal is a good shot on goal (and there is some truth to this), but if almost every sog comes from the blue line or the corner, how much does that help? Just something I've noticed about UNO...
      Current NCAA D-I rinks I've been to:

      AHA:
      B1G: UMinn, UWisc
      ECAC:
      HEA: UMass, Notre Dame
      NCHC: UMD, UND, SCSU, WMU
      WCHA: UAH, BSU, FSU, LSSU, MSU, MTU, NMU

      Inactive: BSU, UMD, UND, NMU, Notre Dame

      Comment


      • Re: Declaring Our Independence: UAH 2010-11, Part the First

        Originally posted by moose97 View Post
        SOG is the single most over-rated stat in the history of sports. I remember UNO chirping about out-shooting Quinnipiac 112-62 yet getting swept the weekend before BSU went down there and took 3 pts., and all I could think about was how UNO's shots when they came up here were all from the outside and not very threatening at all. The old, UNO out-shot BSU, but BSU out-chanced them. I mean, we even talked about it at length on College Hockey Tonight, where a coach can preach that any shot on goal is a good shot on goal (and there is some truth to this), but if almost every sog comes from the blue line or the corner, how much does that help? Just something I've noticed about UNO...
        RBI and wins for a pitcher are overrated. SOG does need a lot of context.

        GFM
        Geof F. Morris
        UAH BSE MAE 2002
        UAHHockey.com

        Comment


        • Re: Declaring Our Independence: UAH 2010-11, Part the First

          Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
          RBI and wins for a pitcher are overrated. SOG does need a lot of context.

          GFM
          To continue this tangent for a moment, baseball has at least about a dozen other major statistical metrics that can help one judge players/teams/games. In hockey, if someone can't actually watch a game and only looks at a box score (and can't even read a story or talk to those involved), they are left to assume that SOG is a good measure of which team outplayed the other when that isn't close to true. That's why, IMHO, SOG is far worse than the stats you provide for baseball where the same (just looking at boxscores) is true...
          Current NCAA D-I rinks I've been to:

          AHA:
          B1G: UMinn, UWisc
          ECAC:
          HEA: UMass, Notre Dame
          NCHC: UMD, UND, SCSU, WMU
          WCHA: UAH, BSU, FSU, LSSU, MSU, MTU, NMU

          Inactive: BSU, UMD, UND, NMU, Notre Dame

          Comment


          • Re: Declaring Our Independence: UAH 2010-11, Part the First

            Originally posted by moose97 View Post
            To continue this tangent for a moment, baseball has at least about a dozen other major statistical metrics that can help one judge players/teams/games. In hockey, if someone can't actually watch a game and only looks at a box score (and can't even read a story or talk to those involved), they are left to assume that SOG is a good measure of which team outplayed the other when that isn't close to true. That's why, IMHO, SOG is far worse than the stats you provide for baseball where the same (just looking at boxscores) is true...
            There's plenty of work on better hockey metrics, but that's newer and less-recognized.

            GFM
            Geof F. Morris
            UAH BSE MAE 2002
            UAHHockey.com

            Comment


            • Re: Declaring Our Independence: UAH 2010-11, Part the First

              Here's a local Forest City, IA article on Doug Ross... complete with his new home address!?!
              http://www.albertleatribune.com/2011...the-new-coach/

              And about UAH Hockey coverage this year... virtually non-existant. Apparently The Times takes the approach of win or we'll ignore you... They weren't even listed as playing in the what's going on this weekend section of sports a couple times this year for HOME GAMES!!! The BBall team is winning so is getting ALL the coverage. Completely disgusting...
              Doug
              UAH 1974
              Charger Hockey - Born 1979 ~ Killed 2012
              Executioner: Malcom Portera - Chancellor, University of Alabama System
              Reason: Hates all things not in Tuscaloosa (i.e. UAH & UAB)
              Revived: Two Months Later - Thanks Nathan et al... Save UAH Hockey
              Reborn: 1/17/2013 - Thanks Bob - Thanks WCHA!!!

              Comment


              • Re: Declaring Our Independence: UAH 2010-11, Part the First

                Home address? Wow. Also, "Deerborn". Heh.

                GFM
                Geof F. Morris
                UAH BSE MAE 2002
                UAHHockey.com

                Comment


                • Re: Declaring Our Independence: UAH 2010-11, Part the First

                  Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
                  Home address? Wow. Also, "Deerborn". Heh.

                  GFM
                  And Waldorf is in Forest City, Iowa, while they are going to play their games in Albert Lea, MN. That is 35 miles one way. I know at UAH you don't have an on campus rink, but this is a hike.

                  Mason City, which used to host the North Iowa Huskies (USHL) and then the North Iowa Outlaws (NAHL) is also 35 miles away. I guess they will be traveling for home games and practice.
                  Millsy

                  NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
                  FROZEN FOUR 2009!


                  "Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

                  BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
                  NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
                  NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
                  NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
                  NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
                  Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
                  Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

                  Comment


                  • Re: Declaring Our Independence: UAH 2010-11, Part the First

                    Originally posted by beaverhockeyfan View Post
                    And Waldorf is in Forest City, Iowa, while they are going to play their games in Albert Lea, MN. That is 35 miles one way. I know at UAH you don't have an on campus rink, but this is a hike.
                    That's not quite as bad as Mississippi State's club team playing and practicing in Decatur, AL, but it's close.

                    GFM
                    Geof F. Morris
                    UAH BSE MAE 2002
                    UAHHockey.com

                    Comment


                    • Re: Declaring Our Independence: UAH 2010-11, Part the First

                      Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
                      Upset the #15 team in the country on the road, with our goalie setting the team record for saves in the D-I era, and next-to-no coverage from The Huntsville Times: http://saveuahhockey.com/2011/01/30/on-media-coverage/

                      GFM
                      They got some print in Tuesday's Times.
                      http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2...build_off.html

                      Comment


                      • Re: Declaring Our Independence: UAH 2010-11, Part the First

                        Clarke gets his due recognition: http://www.uscho.com/2011/02/02/saun...ars-for-feb-2/

                        GFM
                        Geof F. Morris
                        UAH BSE MAE 2002
                        UAHHockey.com

                        Comment


                        • Re: Declaring Our Independence: UAH 2010-11, Part the First

                          I was checking to see if the game brought his save percentage above .900 (no, it's .898) when I noticed that EMPTY NET has played in 16 games.

                          Comment


                          • Re: Declaring Our Independence: UAH 2010-11, Part the First

                            Originally posted by Douglas View Post
                            Here's a local Forest City, IA article on Doug Ross... complete with his new home address!?!
                            http://www.albertleatribune.com/2011...the-new-coach/
                            Nice CHA jacket, although you'd think they'd hook him up with some Waldorf stuff.
                            Michael Napier - UAH '97
                            uahhockey.com

                            UAH Chargers Hockey
                            U.S. National Club Champions - 1982, 1983, 1984
                            NCAA Division II National Champions - 1996, 1998
                            CHA Regular Season Champions - 2001, 2003
                            CHA Tournament Champions - 2007, 2010

                            Comment


                            • Re: Declaring Our Independence: UAH 2010-11, Part the First

                              Knock knock...
                              Doug
                              UAH 1974
                              Charger Hockey - Born 1979 ~ Killed 2012
                              Executioner: Malcom Portera - Chancellor, University of Alabama System
                              Reason: Hates all things not in Tuscaloosa (i.e. UAH & UAB)
                              Revived: Two Months Later - Thanks Nathan et al... Save UAH Hockey
                              Reborn: 1/17/2013 - Thanks Bob - Thanks WCHA!!!

                              Comment


                              • Re: Declaring Our Independence: UAH 2010-11, Part the First

                                Originally posted by Douglas View Post
                                Knock knock...
                                I'm here.

                                UAH is raising all the banners for 2009-10 and 2010 fall sports tonight at the basketball games at Spragins. This means they'll hang banners for the 2010 CHA win and making the 2010 NCAAs. Saw a number of players at Saturday night's games as, for once, they weren't on the road.

                                GFM
                                Geof F. Morris
                                UAH BSE MAE 2002
                                UAHHockey.com

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X