Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Declaring Our Independence: UAH 2010-11, Part the First

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
    I've asked about the makeup of that group, and I've been told that it's very pro-hockey. Honestly, you couldn't have a committee like that at UAH without having Acuff and Steudeman on it. They're the most highly-respected and longest-tenured coaches on staff. This isn't to say that Chris Luongo isn't well-respected, because he is---but he's also a first-year head coach.
    That's the sense I got from looking at the list. I know Coach Steudeman has been a supporter of everything UAH since she arrived. Having hockey certainly hasn't hindered Coach Acuff from turning the men's basketball program into an NCAA Tournament contender. I think we can count on them.
    Michael Napier - UAH '97
    uahhockey.com

UAH Chargers Hockey
    U.S. National Club Champions - 1982, 1983, 1984
    NCAA Division II National Champions - 1996, 1998
    CHA Regular Season Champions - 2001, 2003
    CHA Tournament Champions - 2007, 2010

Comment

Originally posted by Douglas View Post
      A choice huh? At Knuckleheads?
      I'm a cheap date.

GFM
      Geof F. Morris
      UAH BSE MAE 2002
      UAHHockey.com

Comment

Looking at the incoming recruits, 4F and 1D so far.

Chargers losing 4F and 2D to graduation plus 1D left school.

To follow Geof's model of 14F 9D 3G, team will need to recruit 1 more F and 4 more D.

That is assuming everyone returns.
        Last edited by Back check; 01-27-2011, 11:25 AM.

Comment

The Boys in Blue dropped the first game to UNO 4-0.
          Justin Cseter couldn't convert on a late in the third penalty shot.
          SOG's were nearly 3 to 1 in favor of UNO.
          Scoreless 1st period, 2 in the 2nd and 2 in the 3rd for UNO.
          Doug
          UAH 1974
          Charger Hockey - Born 1979 ~ Killed 2012
          Executioner: Malcom Portera - Chancellor, University of Alabama System
          Reason: Hates all things not in Tuscaloosa (i.e. UAH & UAB)
          Revived: Two Months Later - Thanks Nathan et al... Save UAH Hockey
          Reborn: 1/17/2013 - Thanks Bob - Thanks WCHA!!!

Comment

Last-second goal in the second period. Had a possible goal waved off by the ref as kicked in by a UAH skate, and the video replay wasn't conclusive. Wheels came off after that.

Doug, SOG was 44-20 when I looked.

These last-minute goals are crippling this team.

GFM
            Geof F. Morris
            UAH BSE MAE 2002
            UAHHockey.com

Comment

Saunders... wow. 58 stops, all in regulation, in a 2-1 OT win.

That, ladies and gentlemen, is a goalie playing "lights-out".

Comment

The Boys in Blue snagged the second game of the series from UNO 2-1 in OT
                Once again outshot; this time OVER 3-1 (59 - 19) Geoffie, but hey, he who scores more WINS!!!
                Clarke stood on his head and stole a game for the Chargers! First time I've seen that happen this year. GIANT kudos to Clarke Saunders!!!
                1st and 2nd periods were scoreless for both teams. Chargers took the lead :58 seconds into the 3rd on a Mac Roy breakaway coming out of the penalty box.
                UNO had two goals called back in the third period to keep it a tie.
                Seabass got the winning goal :29 seconds into OT.
                Doug
                UAH 1974

Comment

I think Clarkie made three or four saves on the walk to the locker room. Jamie is running the stats [we were talking about it all through the third], but I'm fairly sure this is the most saves in a game in the D-I era, and it's probably the most saves in a Charger victory. [The team record of 62-of-68 was set in 1986 in a 6-3 loss to SUNY-Geneseo.] Just an unbelievable performance by him, and finally some puck luck. Roy gets a breakaway, and then Seabass gets one to go in OT.

In the pantheon of UAH goaltending performances, it's still behind Narduzzi in 2007 [49 of 50 in 90 minutes, relieving Blake MacNicol to backstop the Chargers into 2OT while sending wnickelson's wife into premature labor], but I think it's ahead of Talbot blanking Robert Morris in the CHA tournament last year or Munroe stopping 45 of 46 against Wayne State in the 2006 semifinal. I know that this is a four-win team right now, but this is a game that builds confidence for the entire team going forward.

GFM
                  Geof F. Morris
                  UAH BSE MAE 2002
                  UAHHockey.com

Comment

Not to mention that this is a "quality win" over the 15th ranked team!
                    The post game meal and the trip home is going to be MUCH nicer tonight and tomorrow!
                    Doug
                    UAH 1974

Comment

congrats to Huntsville! sounds like it was a great game. goalie must have been awesome!

Comment

Ehhh, big deal..... BSU was able to take 7 of 8 points from UNO this year.........

Just kidding of course! Congrats on the win!
                        Time to head over to mavpuck.com to see what they are saying about this weekend
                        Millsy

NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
                        FROZEN FOUR 2009!

"Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
                        NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
                        NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
                        NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
                        NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
                        Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
                        Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

Comment

Originally posted by beaverhockeyfan View Post
                          Ehhh, big deal..... BSU was able to take 7 of 8 points from UNO this year.........
                          Their radio PBP guys said we reminded them of y'all. Sadly, you have Matt Read and we do not.

GFM
                          Geof F. Morris
                          UAH BSE MAE 2002
                          UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
                            Their radio PBP guys said we reminded them of y'all. Sadly, you have Matt Read and we do not.

GFM
                            Yeah, their fans and pbp people keep saying BSU plays the trap. I guess I don't see it, so maybe they need some education there in Omaha. I am not sure on your system this year as I haven't seen the Chargers play this year.
                            Millsy

NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
                            FROZEN FOUR 2009!

"Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
                            NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
                            NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
                            NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
                            NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
                            Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
                            Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

Comment

Originally posted by beaverhockeyfan View Post
                              Yeah, their fans and pbp people keep saying BSU plays the trap. I guess I don't see it, so maybe they need some education there in Omaha. I am not sure on your system this year as I haven't seen the Chargers play this year.
                              Y'all don't play a classic trap, because you're a bit higher. We don't, either. Both teams do a good job of clogging up center ice when they're playing at their best. The Beavs do a way better job of clearing the zone, though. We sometimes look like we're killing a penalty when playing 5x5, what with all the rotating scramble.

GFM
                              Geof F. Morris
                              UAH BSE MAE 2002
                              UAHHockey.com

Comment

Upset the #15 team in the country on the road, with our goalie setting the team record for saves in the D-I era, and next-to-no coverage from The Huntsville Times: http://saveuahhockey.com/2011/01/30/on-media-coverage/

GFM
                                Geof F. Morris
                                UAH BSE MAE 2002
                                UAHHockey.com

Comment

Working...
                                X