Declaring Our Independence: UAH 2010-11, Part the First

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Declaring Our Independence: UAH 2010-11, Part the First

They're out there after guys, to be sure. Depth was hurt a bit by a couple guys not enrolling and Campbell's eligibility issue.

GFM
    Geof F. Morris
    UAH BSE MAE 2002
    UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by UAHStatman View Post
      He might, if it's not too loud...but I figure it couldn't be any louder than the speaker system...
      It's not loud at all. It does get a little boring for adults after 3 or 4 laps but kids seem to really like the ride. If you're intersted send me an email with your names and I'll see what I can do... I'm assuming you're at all the home games. If not, include a list of the home games you'll be able to make. (Just click on my name to send me an email)
      Doug
      UAH 1974
      Charger Hockey - Born 1979 ~ Killed 2012
      Executioner: Malcom Portera - Chancellor, University of Alabama System
      Reason: Hates all things not in Tuscaloosa (i.e. UAH & UAB)
      Revived: Two Months Later - Thanks Nathan et al... Save UAH Hockey
      Reborn: 1/17/2013 - Thanks Bob - Thanks WCHA!!!

Comment

Originally posted by JP1
        ...even strength uah tends to end up with 3 guys below the goal line too many times resulting in easier transitions for the opp...harder for def to step up at blue line when facing odd man rush situations...also tend to look for "perfect" shot instead of getting shots toward net, creating traffic in front and getting rebound/"ugly" goals - something their opponents have been doing...heard they were better about this vs. pc, but area that needs work...
        Too true and astute observations. I've also seen way to many failed passes when a shot would have been a better choice for the circumstance. Three guys below the goal line also leaves no one to outlet a pass for a possible shot as they seem to rarely use their defensemen to spread out the opp defense. Something OSU executed to near perfection. It seemed like everytime I saw OSU digging in one of our corners with three Chargers on them the puck would somehow get out in front of the net where the third OSU forward was waiting with a high quality shot attempt. They scored several goals that way.

Another problem is what I call "getting behind" on the defense. Like when they start scrambling and chasing the puck without a set way to regroup the defense. It sometimes looks like we're on the PK but we're even strength. I start cringing when I see that because the opp lights the lamp all too often. I guess you can only teach so much in a short time, and time and experiece are what's needed most but in short supply. Should be killer when all these frosh are Jr's and Sr's...
        Doug
        UAH 1974

Comment

Originally posted by Douglas View Post
          Too true and astute observations. I've also seen way to many failed passes when a shot would have been a better choice for the circumstance. Three guys below the goal line also leaves no one to outlet a pass for a possible shot as they seem to rarely use their defensemen to spread out the opp defense. Something OSU executed to near perfection. It seemed like everytime I saw OSU digging in one of our corners with three Chargers on them the puck would somehow get out in front of the net where the third OSU forward was waiting with a high quality shot attempt. They scored several goals that way.

Another problem is what I call "getting behind" on the defense. Like when they start scrambling and chasing the puck without a set way to regroup the defense. It sometimes looks like we're on the PK but we're even strength. I start cringing when I see that because the opp lights the lamp all too often. I guess you can only teach so much in a short time, and time and experiece are what's needed most but in short supply. Should be killer when all these frosh are Jr's and Sr's...
          It's easy to blame a lot of this on being young, but there are eight upperclassmen who should know better. Lou isn't doing anything drastically different than Danton did.

GFM
          Geof F. Morris
          UAH BSE MAE 2002
          UAHHockey.com

Comment

Sounds like JP1 has some contacts in the college hockey network. JP1 - have you heard anything about possible UAH recruits?

Comment

Originally posted by chargersupporter View Post
              Sounds like JP1 has some contacts in the college hockey network. JP1 - have you heard anything about possible UAH recruits?
              Anyone who has contacts worth talking about is usually restricted from doing so. NCAA violations and all that.

GFM <-- knew about Lasse Uusivirta coming to UAH in March, along with a lot of other folks.
              Geof F. Morris
              UAH BSE MAE 2002
              UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by chargersupporter View Post
                If you want to keep up with the latest recruiting information go to this site....

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?k...LdlBOaHc&gid=1

Coaches can't talk specifically about any recruit until they're signed. That's across the board in the NCAA.

Comment

Originally posted by ChargerBlue View Post
                  If you want to keep up with the latest recruiting information go to this site....

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?k...LdlBOaHc&gid=1

Coaches can't talk specifically about any recruit until they're signed. That's across the board in the NCAA.
                  Heisenberg has good sources, but typically he's just collating the reports of players self-declaring. Self-declaring doesn't always equal signing a national letter of intent, though.

GFM
                  Geof F. Morris
                  UAH BSE MAE 2002
                  UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
                    Heisenberg has good sources, but typically he's just collating the reports of players self-declaring. Self-declaring doesn't always equal signing a national letter of intent, though.

GFM
                    True, but the nice thing about college hockey is that once a kid has made his verbal, most (I stress MOST) coaches consider the kid off limits. But until that NLI is signed, things can change.
                    Millsy

NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
                    FROZEN FOUR 2009!

"Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
                    NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
                    NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
                    NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
                    NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
                    Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
                    Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

Comment

Originally posted by beaverhockeyfan View Post
                      True, but the nice thing about college hockey is that once a kid has made his verbal, most (I stress MOST) coaches consider the kid off limits. But until that NLI is signed, things can change.
                      Indeed, it's really good that the gentlemen's agreement about poaching is largely honored.

GFM
                      Geof F. Morris
                      UAH BSE MAE 2002
                      UAHHockey.com

Comment

It's not just the coaches. A verbal commitment is meaningless from a kid at any rate. Kid can change his mind right up until signing date (early period has already passed, so April 13-August 1).

In other news, would you go?

http://www.fanfeedr.com/nhl/2010/11/...aa-frozen-four
                        UAH - The Cleveland Browns of COLLEGE HOCKEY

Mike Anderson
                        2006 Time Person of the Year
                        Finger far off the pulse of college hockey, thanks to Mack Portera.
                        It was fun for a whole lot of seasons.

"Give beer to those who are perishing, wine to those who are in anguish; let them drink and forget their poverty and remember their misery no more." Proverbs 31:6-7 (NIV)

Comment

Originally posted by MikeAnderson View Post
                          Absolutely.

GFM
                          Geof F. Morris
                          UAH BSE MAE 2002
                          UAHHockey.com

Comment

It's not just the coaches. A verbal commitment is meaningless from a kid at any rate. Kid can change his mind right up until signing date (early period has already passed, so April 13-August 1).

In other news, would you go?

http://www.fanfeedr.com/nhl/2010/11/...aa-frozen-four
                            I'd seriously consider it, though it would depend on who was playing. I tend to only attend sporting events where I can root comfortably for at least one team. I'd find that hard to do if we're talking a Minn./Wis./ND/OSU type combo... all schools I was raised to root against in all circumstances.

Comment

If there was a team in it that I cared about... you betcha! I have to be somewhat invested in the outcome to want to go. Otherwise I'd have just a mild interest in what the final score was for teams I cared nothing about. There are just too many things out there competing for my interests than to go watch four teams, no matter how good they are, in which I have no vested interest.
                              Doug
                              UAH 1974

Comment

Well, but tickets to the FF can be hard to get, especially good seats. That's why they do lotteries a year or so in advance. I'd go just because I enjoy college-style hockey played at the highest tier.

GFM
                                Geof F. Morris
                                UAH BSE MAE 2002
                                UAHHockey.com

Comment

Working...
                                X