X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Douglas
    replied
    Re: Declaring Our Independence: UAH 2010-11, Part the First

Here's a local Forest City, IA article on Doug Ross... complete with his new home address!?!
    http://www.albertleatribune.com/2011...the-new-coach/

And about UAH Hockey coverage this year... virtually non-existant. Apparently The Times takes the approach of win or we'll ignore you... They weren't even listed as playing in the what's going on this weekend section of sports a couple times this year for HOME GAMES!!! The BBall team is winning so is getting ALL the coverage. Completely disgusting...

Leave a comment:

• gfmorris
    replied

Originally posted by moose97 View Post
    To continue this tangent for a moment, baseball has at least about a dozen other major statistical metrics that can help one judge players/teams/games. In hockey, if someone can't actually watch a game and only looks at a box score (and can't even read a story or talk to those involved), they are left to assume that SOG is a good measure of which team outplayed the other when that isn't close to true. That's why, IMHO, SOG is far worse than the stats you provide for baseball where the same (just looking at boxscores) is true...
    There's plenty of work on better hockey metrics, but that's newer and less-recognized.

GFM

Leave a comment:

• moose97
    replied

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
    RBI and wins for a pitcher are overrated. SOG does need a lot of context.

GFM
    To continue this tangent for a moment, baseball has at least about a dozen other major statistical metrics that can help one judge players/teams/games. In hockey, if someone can't actually watch a game and only looks at a box score (and can't even read a story or talk to those involved), they are left to assume that SOG is a good measure of which team outplayed the other when that isn't close to true. That's why, IMHO, SOG is far worse than the stats you provide for baseball where the same (just looking at boxscores) is true...

Leave a comment:

• gfmorris
    replied

Originally posted by moose97 View Post
    SOG is the single most over-rated stat in the history of sports. I remember UNO chirping about out-shooting Quinnipiac 112-62 yet getting swept the weekend before BSU went down there and took 3 pts., and all I could think about was how UNO's shots when they came up here were all from the outside and not very threatening at all. The old, UNO out-shot BSU, but BSU out-chanced them. I mean, we even talked about it at length on College Hockey Tonight, where a coach can preach that any shot on goal is a good shot on goal (and there is some truth to this), but if almost every sog comes from the blue line or the corner, how much does that help? Just something I've noticed about UNO...
    RBI and wins for a pitcher are overrated. SOG does need a lot of context.

GFM

Leave a comment:

• moose97
    replied

Originally posted by tnlong View Post
    While Saunders' performance was quite amazing, getting a win while being outshot 58 - 17 is a story that's more embarrassing than anything i.m.h.o.
    SOG is the single most over-rated stat in the history of sports. I remember UNO chirping about out-shooting Quinnipiac 112-62 yet getting swept the weekend before BSU went down there and took 3 pts., and all I could think about was how UNO's shots when they came up here were all from the outside and not very threatening at all. The old, UNO out-shot BSU, but BSU out-chanced them. I mean, we even talked about it at length on College Hockey Tonight, where a coach can preach that any shot on goal is a good shot on goal (and there is some truth to this), but if almost every sog comes from the blue line or the corner, how much does that help? Just something I've noticed about UNO...

Leave a comment:

• tnlong
    replied

While Saunders' performance was quite amazing, getting a win while being outshot 58 - 17 is a story that's more embarrassing than anything i.m.h.o.

Leave a comment:

• gfmorris
    replied

Upset the #15 team in the country on the road, with our goalie setting the team record for saves in the D-I era, and next-to-no coverage from The Huntsville Times: http://saveuahhockey.com/2011/01/30/on-media-coverage/

GFM

Leave a comment:

• gfmorris
    replied

Originally posted by beaverhockeyfan View Post
    Yeah, their fans and pbp people keep saying BSU plays the trap. I guess I don't see it, so maybe they need some education there in Omaha. I am not sure on your system this year as I haven't seen the Chargers play this year.
    Y'all don't play a classic trap, because you're a bit higher. We don't, either. Both teams do a good job of clogging up center ice when they're playing at their best. The Beavs do a way better job of clearing the zone, though. We sometimes look like we're killing a penalty when playing 5x5, what with all the rotating scramble.

GFM

Leave a comment:

• beaverhockeyfan
    replied

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
    Their radio PBP guys said we reminded them of y'all. Sadly, you have Matt Read and we do not.

GFM
    Yeah, their fans and pbp people keep saying BSU plays the trap. I guess I don't see it, so maybe they need some education there in Omaha. I am not sure on your system this year as I haven't seen the Chargers play this year.

Leave a comment:

• gfmorris
    replied

Originally posted by beaverhockeyfan View Post
    Ehhh, big deal..... BSU was able to take 7 of 8 points from UNO this year.........
    Their radio PBP guys said we reminded them of y'all. Sadly, you have Matt Read and we do not.

GFM

Leave a comment:

• beaverhockeyfan
    replied

Ehhh, big deal..... BSU was able to take 7 of 8 points from UNO this year.........

Just kidding of course! Congrats on the win!
    Time to head over to mavpuck.com to see what they are saying about this weekend

Leave a comment:

• true2BSU
    replied

congrats to Huntsville! sounds like it was a great game. goalie must have been awesome!

Leave a comment:

• Douglas
    replied

Not to mention that this is a "quality win" over the 15th ranked team!
    The post game meal and the trip home is going to be MUCH nicer tonight and tomorrow!

Leave a comment:

• gfmorris
    replied

I think Clarkie made three or four saves on the walk to the locker room. Jamie is running the stats [we were talking about it all through the third], but I'm fairly sure this is the most saves in a game in the D-I era, and it's probably the most saves in a Charger victory. [The team record of 62-of-68 was set in 1986 in a 6-3 loss to SUNY-Geneseo.] Just an unbelievable performance by him, and finally some puck luck. Roy gets a breakaway, and then Seabass gets one to go in OT.

In the pantheon of UAH goaltending performances, it's still behind Narduzzi in 2007 [49 of 50 in 90 minutes, relieving Blake MacNicol to backstop the Chargers into 2OT while sending wnickelson's wife into premature labor], but I think it's ahead of Talbot blanking Robert Morris in the CHA tournament last year or Munroe stopping 45 of 46 against Wayne State in the 2006 semifinal. I know that this is a four-win team right now, but this is a game that builds confidence for the entire team going forward.

GFM

Leave a comment:

• Douglas
    replied

The Boys in Blue snagged the second game of the series from UNO 2-1 in OT
    Once again outshot; this time OVER 3-1 (59 - 19) Geoffie, but hey, he who scores more WINS!!!
    Clarke stood on his head and stole a game for the Chargers! First time I've seen that happen this year. GIANT kudos to Clarke Saunders!!!
    1st and 2nd periods were scoreless for both teams. Chargers took the lead :58 seconds into the 3rd on a Mac Roy breakaway coming out of the penalty box.
    UNO had two goals called back in the third period to keep it a tie.
    Seabass got the winning goal :29 seconds into OT.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X