Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

THE University of Michigan 2010-2011 Season Thread

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #76
    Re: THE University of Michigan 2010-2011 Season Thread

    There was a post in the Icebreaker thread that they announced the 2011 field (also in St. Louis), which includes us, Boston College, North Dakota, and Air Force. Should be an interesting tourney.

    Comment


    • #77
      Re: THE University of Michigan 2010-2011 Season Thread

      A friend and I decided to skip whatever was happening in Ann Arbor Saturday afternoon, and instead went down to Bowling Green. I think it was a good choice.
      Originally posted by KC8NIY View Post
      I didn't watch the game, but noticed from the box score that Tristin took yet another penalty to put us down two men. That has GOT to stop. Period. That's not putting the team in a position to win games.
      Judging from the time of your post, I'm guessing this was in regards to Friday. He did it Saturday too. Never before have I been so glad someone is a senior.

      Originally posted by alfablue View Post
      Another ugly win. Two majors, Scooter gets the boot with his apparent CFB.

      No idea if this was like last night, with UM getting 11 or 12 penalties- Al was pretty adamant that the refs were missing a lot of BG penalties, and making up a lot of UM penalties.

      I know they are homers, but sure doesn't sound good for the CCHA.
      I think penalties were about even between the two teams. I didn't look at the box score to check that, but it didn't feel like we were killing penalties the whole game.

      A win is a win, and I like that, but it wasn't a very pretty win. There were a bunch of beautiful opportunities given to Bowling Green that they whiffed on. As in, "here is a wide open net, enjoy".

      I didn't leave the game with a good feeling. Part of that may be because Rust was injured and did not return to the bench after intermission. Hope he's ok.
      Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
      wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.
      Arenas visited:
      7 B1G
      9 WCHA (all except Huntsville)
      6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU)
      5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont)
      5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson)
      2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT)

      Comment


      • #78
        Re: THE University of Michigan 2010-2011 Season Thread

        Originally posted by wolverineTrumpet View Post
        Judging from the time of your post, I'm guessing this was in regards to Friday. He did it Saturday too. Never before have I been so glad someone is a senior.
        Yep, it was in reference to Friday. From the audio feed I thought Saturday's may have been a little ticky-tack, but I'm sure you could speak more to it having been there.

        As of now, it looks like Moffie and Llewellyn are going to rotate in and out of the lineup as the 6th defenseman (pending Bennett's play over the next few weeks). Tristin gets the benefit of doubt as a senior, but he's going to quickly lose out if he can't reign in the penalties. To some extent, I think he's been a victim of his own size with some of the roughing and CFB calls he's picked up. However, 90% of the time there's no excuse for taking a hook or cross-check to put your team down two men. It's the ill timing of his penalties that hurts.

        Llewellyn could ultimately be a solid defensive defenseman if he could just keep his emotions in check and use his size to his advantage. It's not too late for him to make that change, but it's necessary if he wants to continue to see playing time during his senior year. Moffie has much more upside as a sophomore continuing to grow into his role with the team, and while he was only a +2 versus Tristin's +9 last year, he could prove to be more productive on both sides of the ice.

        Originally posted by wolverineTrumpet View Post
        I didn't leave the game with a good feeling. Part of that may be because Rust was injured and did not return to the bench after intermission. Hope he's ok.
        Any update on Rust?

        Comment


        • #79
          Re: THE University of Michigan 2010-2011 Season Thread

          Originally posted by KC8NIY View Post
          Any update on Rust?
          He sat in on Tuesday's radio broadcast and said that he could have played but was kept out for precautionary reasons.
          Section 3 (formerly 6, before that "F")
          Row 1
          Seats 6 & 7
          Same seats since '93 - at the blue line on the glass


          9 NCAA Titles: '48, '51, '52, '53, '55, ''56, '64, '96, '98

          Comment


          • #80
            Re: THE University of Michigan 2010-2011 Season Thread

            Originally posted by JoeZ View Post
            He sat in on Tuesday's radio broadcast and said that he could have played but was kept out for precautionary reasons.
            Thanks.



            Last edited by KC8NIY; 10-17-2010, 01:09 PM.

            Comment


            • #81
              Re: THE University of Michigan 2010-2011 Season Thread

              I want to be optimistic about the tie against UNH. But I can't. Listening to the radio- it just sounded like we were spending a lot of time watching UNH skate around our D zone in much of the 3rd period. That may be due to all the penalties gassing our team, but even with that excuse, it's not that great.

              If not for a great night by Shawn, this would have been another eastern trip with bad results.

              Comment


              • #82
                Re: THE University of Michigan 2010-2011 Season Thread

                Factor a few things: first game on olympic ice since last season. fourth game in nine days, with only one of those games at home. They only took 6 penalties for 12 minutes, so they shouldn't have been that fatigued- but it was the bunched up PP and then the offsetting call setting up the 4x3 that gassed them. It was also UNH's home opener after a pretty good showing in Oxford. I'd hazard to guess that, although the shot total was high and the fact that they got totally abused in the second half of the third and OT, that Red will gladly take it. Oh, and it looks like Hunwick may not be an aberration from his playoff performance after all. Shoot, they almost stole this game... and can thank Hunwick for at least preserving a tie. UNH is pretty good... and going 3/3 on the PP against a team that typically doesn't give up PPG's is a good sign.

                Just the same, I don't like the indication that they are only playing 40-45 minutes so far and taking a rash of dumb penalties in between. Broken record from the first part of last season, except they have managed to outscore those problems. May be a different outcome this weekend if they only decide to play parts of these games against UNO.
                Last edited by streaker; 10-18-2010, 10:40 AM.

                Comment


                • #83
                  Re: THE University of Michigan 2010-2011 Season Thread

                  Who the hell turned this thread maize and blue? And how did you do it?
                  FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR


                  God, that was fun...

                  Comment


                  • #84
                    Re: THE University of Michigan 2010-2011 Season Thread

                    Originally posted by streaker View Post
                    Factor a few things: first game on olympic ice since last season. fourth game in nine days, with only one of those games at home. They only took 6 penalties for 12 minutes, so they shouldn't have been that fatigued- but it was the bunched up PP and then the offsetting call setting up the 4x3 that gassed them. It was also UNH's home opener after a pretty good showing in Oxford. I'd hazard to guess that, although the shot total was high and the fact that they got totally abused in the second half of the third and OT, that Red will gladly take it. Oh, and it looks like Hunwick may not be an aberration from his playoff performance after all. Shoot, they almost stole this game... and can thank Hunwick for at least preserving a tie. UNH is pretty good... and going 3/3 on the PP against a team that typically doesn't give up PPG's is a good sign.

                    Just the same, I don't like the indication that they are only playing 40-45 minutes so far and taking a rash of dumb penalties in between. Broken record from the first part of last season, except they have managed to outscore those problems. May be a different outcome this weekend if they only decide to play parts of these games against UNO.
                    While I see the point about the 4 games in 9 days- if you go through it- that's also a typical mid-season week- you can get 4 games in 7 days- Friday/Saturday- repeat until bye week. I just want to see more effort in the 3rd period.


                    Originally posted by Hammer View Post
                    Who the hell turned this thread maize and blue? And how did you do it?
                    I read that there was some HTML tags one can use to do that- it was in the "friend request" thread over in the cafe. And it only applies to the page the post is on... (obviously now)

                    Comment


                    • #85
                      Re: THE University of Michigan 2010-2011 Season Thread

                      I am disappointed with the results so far. Maybe UNH was better than expected (with a split at Miami), but this is three consecutive trips out East without a win. This veteran team should be in position to have a strong regular season (From October - March, not January - March), not just turn it on for the CCHA Playoffs in March. There is too much talent here not to perform at a high level throughout the season.

                      Players return, disciplined has not improved, just win some games. In 6 games, including both exhibitions, the team only has three 3rd period goals, one an ENG.

                      This team is set up for 2010-11. I am very concerned about what type of offense might be on the ice next year with so many unproven players, one recruit, and any NHL plans for Wohlberg and Brown and Burlon. We will see how players like Treais, Lynch, Moffatt, Sparks and DeBlois contribute to the future of the program.

                      Comment


                      • #86
                        Re: THE University of Michigan 2010-2011 Season Thread

                        I am more worried about this season. Speculation is a great things, but yes, the future is thin as far as locking in top shelf talent for next year. I can't imagine another pillar of Michigan's storied athletic program being toppled, especially within the state. More fodder for the haters. Reminiscent of Carr's last season, IMHO.

                        According to at least one of the Wbloggers, Michigan's existing talent is already over-rated compared to Miami and Notre Dame. I typically take that as spite talk also, but results don't lie. It would be nice to play to the level of experience and talent... and this weekend will be a good test.

                        Comment


                        • #87
                          Re: THE University of Michigan 2010-2011 Season Thread

                          Hopefully this weekend we can get some non-conference wins. Is it bad if I'm already worrying about the pairwise with how the CCHA is playing out of conference right now?


                          Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
                          wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.
                          Arenas visited:
                          7 B1G
                          9 WCHA (all except Huntsville)
                          6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU)
                          5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont)
                          5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson)
                          2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT)

                          Comment


                          • #88
                            Re: THE University of Michigan 2010-2011 Season Thread

                            Originally posted by wolverineTrumpet View Post
                            Hopefully this weekend we can get some non-conference wins. Is it bad if I'm already worrying about the pairwise with how the CCHA is playing out of conference right now?


                            I don't think you have to worry. Michigan has enough SoS games, including nc games. They need to win, period. The only nc game that may not be of great help is the GLI opener with Tech- and that one will only hurt them if they lose.

                            Comment


                            • #89
                              Re: THE University of Michigan 2010-2011 Season Thread

                              I was just looking over this week's "Weekly Release" and just about fell out of my chair!

                              U-M Power Play was 3 for 3 at New Hampshire and for the season is converting at 41.2% leading the nation!

                              Did the Earth reverse rotation?
                              Section 3 (formerly 6, before that "F")
                              Row 1
                              Seats 6 & 7
                              Same seats since '93 - at the blue line on the glass


                              9 NCAA Titles: '48, '51, '52, '53, '55, ''56, '64, '96, '98

                              Comment


                              • #90
                                Re: THE University of Michigan 2010-2011 Season Thread

                                from the Inside College Hockey website:

                                The Big Chill at the Big House will blow your mind. The Cold War between Michigan State and Michigan in 2001 set the standard for outdoor games, opening the door for them to become engrained in hockey’s modern day culture. And when the two fierce rivals meet in the elements again on Dec. 11, it’ll be an event for the ages. Think about this — NCAA hockey could, probably until next year’s Michigan-Ohio State football game anyway, potentially break the NCAA football attendance record.


                                HMMM! That is an interesting possibility - break the NC$$ Football attendance record!
                                Section 3 (formerly 6, before that "F")
                                Row 1
                                Seats 6 & 7
                                Same seats since '93 - at the blue line on the glass


                                9 NCAA Titles: '48, '51, '52, '53, '55, ''56, '64, '96, '98

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X