THE University of Michigan 2010-2011 Season Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: THE University of Michigan 2010-2011 Season Thread

Canadian Junior 'A' Player of the Year Zach Hyman commits to Michigan for next season. Originally a Princeton commit, decommited after Coach Gadowsky left for Penn State and had interest from BC, BU, and Minn-Duluth. Potential for a huge late pick up. Past Player of the Year winners include Jeff Tambellini and Mike Comrie. Hyman was a 5th round pick of the Florida Panthers last summer.
    Michigan Hockey Net
    Follow MHNet on Twitter

NMUKat82 to my dog Cinnamon: Will you stop eyeballing my crotch like you're expecting something tasty to come out???

NMU Hockey: No Focke. No Scharge. The curse has been lifted and the turnaround begins!

"'Tech' means nerd, and nerds suck at sports." - Stephen Colbert

Comment

Any word on who Red might be targeting to be Michigan's new second assistant (I'm assuming Billy Powers will become the lead asst.)?

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
        Any word on who Red might be targeting to be Michigan's new second assistant (I'm assuming Billy Powers will become the lead asst.)?
        Word on the street is that it will be a former Michigan player. A few names are mentioned; Matt Herr (head coach, Kent School in Connecticut), Bill Muckalt (head coach, New Mexico Mustangs-NAHL) and Brian Wiseman (assistant coach, Houston Aeros-AHL) seem to be the most popular candidates.

"The game of hockey, though much in vogue on the ice in New England and other parts of the United States, is not much known here."

--The Montreal Gazette, March 4, 1875.

Comment

Originally posted by M-HockeyNet View Post
          Canadian Junior 'A' Player of the Year Zach Hyman commits to Michigan for next season. Originally a Princeton commit, decommited after Coach Gadowsky left for Penn State and had interest from BC, BU, and Minn-Duluth. Potential for a huge late pick up. Past Player of the Year winners include Jeff Tambellini and Mike Comrie. Hyman was a 5th round pick of the Florida Panthers last summer.
          If true then this is a Massive pick up!

Comment

Matt Herr is heading to Houghton.....

Comment

Originally posted by Huskiefan906 View Post
              Matt Herr is heading to Houghton.....
              Where did you hear this?

Comment

Originally posted by Alton View Post
                Word on the street is that it will be a former Michigan player. A few names are mentioned; Matt Herr (head coach, Kent School in Connecticut), Bill Muckalt (head coach, New Mexico Mustangs-NAHL) and Brian Wiseman (assistant coach, Houston Aeros-AHL) seem to be the most popular candidates.
                Yost Post news writer confirms those three as the finalists.

I recall Muckalt did some volunteer coaching at UM- ran into him a few times at games a few years ago. And he was involved with a restaurant downtown (not that it has anything to do with the hire).

Spath also reports that it could be as early as Monday that the new assistant is announced.

Comment

Well, it sure seems apparent that our coaching staff is moving on quite quickly without Mel.

http://michigan.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1223504

New kid who will come in next fall. Prinston's loss hopefully will be our gain.

Oh, and is brother will come either in 2012 or 13.

Not bad.

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                    Well, it sure seems apparent that our coaching staff is moving on quite quickly without Mel.

http://michigan.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1223504

New kid who will come in next fall. Prinston's loss hopefully will be our gain.

Oh, and is brother will come either in 2012 or 13.

Not bad.
                    Like I said before this is a HUGE pick up for the Maize and Blue. Hyman is the kind of player that can dominate and break a game right open. He is a big time player. Too bad he isn't a Black Bear! Sorry guys, I had to put my two cents in.
                    Just glad he's not playing against us in Hockey East.

Comment

Looks like Red and Billy are still working on 2011/12, as we've added 20 year old Freshman Mike Chiasson to the team today. I saw the post in the Yost Post, which was linked to an article from the Omaha Lancers. Seems to be a pretty solid kid, and the last time we got an older Freshman was Langlis (who was 21 as he started play).

Same thread confimed that Burlon is gone. Apparently, he reconsidered, but with a meeting, the team and he have moved on.

This should round out the 18 scholarships, assuming they both get whole ones (which isn't 100%, I suppose).

On the Hyman front- I looked at his "highlight" films... he'll be good. But I'm not going to put anything more than that on him. Didn't see that dominat of player in the videos.... A welcome addition, for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                        Looks like Red and Billy are still working on 2011/12, as we've added 20 year old Freshman Mike Chiasson to the team today. I saw the post in the Yost Post, which was linked to an article from the Omaha Lancers. Seems to be a pretty solid kid, and the last time we got an older Freshman was Langlis (who was 21 as he started play).

Same thread confimed that Burlon is gone. Apparently, he reconsidered, but with a meeting, the team and he have moved on.

This should round out the 18 scholarships, assuming they both get whole ones (which isn't 100%, I suppose).

On the Hyman front- I looked at his "highlight" films... he'll be good. But I'm not going to put anything more than that on him. Didn't see that dominat of player in the videos.... A welcome addition, for sure.
                        Yes another nice solid pick up.

Of note look at the dates of those you tube videos. They are from 2009-2010 so they are from two seasons ago before Hymen was drafted. I have seen the kid destroy this past season, and he is a stud---- too bad he didn't come to Maine!

Chiasson is a very reliable D. He will be strong on the back end.

Comment

What I liked about Hyman is it seems like he's willing to go in the high traffic areas and work to score some dirty goals. He's not all flash. It's so hard to tell from poor res clips online, but he didn't seem to be ridiculously fast or anything like that. Maybe he turns into a good player, not a great player, but even picking up a good player at this point in the going is huge. He'll be in our top 6 and that's a heckuva find this late.

I'd gladly take 10 goals and 30 points. Hopefully he's good for more, but even 10-20--30ish would be really big.

Sounds like a great kid, too.
                          Come visit The Blog That Yost Built

Comment

So where do you guys see Michigan finishing this season?

Comment

• New assistant coach brian wiseman from houston aeros hopefully will be good addition. Not related to hockey but in case anyone is interested, Mich is adding men's (and womens) lacrosse as varsity sports
                              Originally posted by Big Papa View Post
                              So where do you guys see Michigan finishing this season?

Comment

Originally posted by Genbeau View Post
                                New assistant coach brian wiseman from houston aeros hopefully will be good addition. Not related to hockey but in case anyone is interested, Mich is adding men's (and womens) lacrosse as varsity sports
                                It's somewhat related, because even though I don't know if was ever on the table, or even a feasible option, but I would have liked to see men's lacrosse get balanced out with a women's hockey team.

Comment

Working...
                                X