Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Miami hosts St. Cloud St. Oct 9-10

Originally posted by scsutommyboy View Post
    That's going nuts? I wasn't even mad. I jsut think it is sad they do the same stupid stupid stuff over and over and never improve....
    You were expecting massive improvement after two games?
    It's going to be a process, guys don't normally just snap to improvements overnight.
    "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
    -Gallagher

R.I.P.
    Grandpa G. ~ Feb 11, 1918-Oct. 6, 1999
    Grandma ~ Jan 2004
    Dad ~ Nov. 4, 1958-April 21, 2008
    Grandpa S. ~ June 21, 1932-November 11, 2013

Comment

Originally posted by First Time, Long Time View Post
      "I felt we deserved a little better fate this weekend," Huskies coach Bob Motzko said. "We played two great games but we lost the special teams battle. Our power play didn't score a goal all weekend and they got one each night. In a tight game like this that's the difference. Pretty much we can end it right there."
      "They are a heck of a defensive team," SCSU forward Garrett Roe said. "They blocked our shots and it was hard to get the offense going.
      "But, we had some chances ... We have to go back to the drawing board and get it done next week."
      "They are a great team," Roe added. "They have a lot of skill and they are always coming at you. They are just one of those teams that they are going to be there at the end of the year. You can't take a shift off. In the power play we slacked off and bam 2-0 right there. We have to get back to our game. Our power play has to get going and we have to sure up and we will get better."

They sound disappointed and they should be, but they know they have things to work on, and I think you become a better team by doing what they've done (schedule wise) to start the year this year than they did last year.
      To get too high or too low (or angry) after one weekend is ridiculous.
      atleast you get it, no need to hit the panic button.

You really have to look at who you are playing. Miami is one of the best defensive teams in the country and a team that play for the title last year with nearly everyone back.

I think SCSU is a really good team, and the fact that on week one you didn't get it done against the #1/2 team in the country isn't anything to hang your hat on. Take certain things away from the weekend and get better from it. SCSU will be fine, IMO, but no need to jump off the wagon yet its only week one and you played a great team.
      Miamiredhawks08: "Side note: have any of you had to wear a helmet in SLOW PITCH SOFTBALL CAGE?!?!?!?! Are you flipping kidding me?!?!?! Felt like a 30 year old wearing floaties in a wading pool! jeebus!"

Comment

mcfar, I don't know if you were misquoting me to prove a point, or missed it, but I wasn't at all serious about Hartman. Sounds like a good player, and as a St. Cloud guy and what would've been a legacy at SCSU, wish we had him. I called him "shallow" because I was making a joke about "wide" (Olympic vs. NHL) ice and wide-set women.

Originally posted by muredhawks2008 View Post
        Overall, feels great to come out of this with 4 points.
        You guys get points for non-conference games? No wonder you guys made the NCAA tourney last year as a 4-seed and we were at home watching.

Originally posted by redhawkman10 View Post
        atleast you get it, no need to hit the panic button.
        Just read the whole series thread, and trust me rhm10, nobody's hitting the panic button. When our posters go into the tank on our team, you won't miss it.

Didn't get to see or even listen to either game, but sounds like we weren't great but weren't horrible. Kinda sucks to go into the top team in the nation and tie after regulation and still end up with two losses as far as PWR will be concerned, but we're still 0-0 in conference, so we'll take it from here and hopefully hang a couple convincing wins on Union and go from there.

Good luck to Miami rest of the season, and hope to see you guys one more time before you come to Cloud.
        Last edited by SCSU Euro; 10-12-2009, 01:12 PM.
        tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

• Originally posted by SCSU Euro View Post
          You guys get points for conference games?
          Most teams that win do.

Comment

Great trip to Oxford, long summary to ensue:

Obviously the most disappointing part was the Huskies not getting a win either night. However, there were plenty of positives to take away. Friday night Volpei really impressed me, he seemed to be working hard every shift. Festler also stood out, it's good to see him back out there and I think he could play a big role this year. As much as I was impressed with Gaudet when he played last year I was equally disappointed this weekend. He made a number of mistakes that just can't happen against a team like Miami. The powerplay was very frustrating to watch but I have to give credit to the RedHawks there. They are always pressuring the puck and never really give you time to set anything up. The times the Huskies did get set up the shots were blocked or there weren't many lanes open. Not to say they didn't have chances though because they did, just not many of them. Huskies need to learn to make tape to tape passes and do it quick, too much holding on to the puck. It would've been great to get a win but this series is nothing to get too upset about. Miami is a VERY good team. They have some big kids in their lineup and they also have a number of very skilled players. It looked like the early part of the season as sloppy play happened often for both teams. The goalies for both teams were outstanding. Dunn looked very good Friday night and there was nothing he could do about the first two goals. They were both on the powerplay. The OT goal was on the other end of the ice so I didn't really get to see it. Camper had the puck in the slot, took the shot, and then was able to skate behind the goal to sweep around and clean it up. Not sure if Dunn could've covered or why the puck was still there but regardless he played a great game. Saturday Lee proved to be very fundamentally sound. Very rarely was he ever out of position. The first goal he was completely hung out to dry and the second one I didn't see because everyone around me was standing cheering for the first goal and I was sitting. Huskies have a lot of work to do but they can learn from these games. It's great to see a tough non-conference opponent on the schedule.

As for the campus, I was impressed. My expectations were very high from everything I had heard and it didn't disappoint. The campus itself is much bigger than I anticipated and the layout is well done. Love the look of the buildings as they're all brick and just have a very classy look and feel. Went inside the new business building and wow, what a place that would be to go to class. New hockey arena is great, they have a huge front lobby/entrance area that actually looks similar to what I think the Huskies will be getting. The arena itself is very nice but feels a little small....there just aren't a ton of seats compared to what I'm used to. It's one lower level bowl around the entire sheet, think someone said it seats around 3500 or so. Not necessarily a bad thing just different. The student section covers blue line to blue on one end of the ice. Those sections were packed. There were a good number of empty seats throughout the rest of the arena. Was a little disappointed seeing that considering you have the #1 ranked team and they just finished runner-up last year. Most of those filled up in the 2nd and 3rd periods from SRO people. Although I'm guessing if it were Ohio State, Notre Dame, Michigan, etc the season ticket holders would've been there. Good atmosphere for the games. Friday night we upgraded our SRO for some seats behind the goalie in the "visiting team" section. Saturday we didn't upgrade as we were able to sit in some seats on the blue line about 7 rows up behind the penalty boxes. Stood by a Flyers scout for awhile during the first period before being able to grab the seats. He was definitely taking a lot of notes.

Night life was pretty good and yes, the 3:1 girls to guys ratio is true.....as is the claim that most are easy on the eyes. Even my wife thought so, although she couldn't believe some of the outfits the girls are wearing on campus these days. Us guys didn't seem to take much issue with it. We were at a bar, 45 East I think, both nights after the games hanging out with some of the Miami parents and a couple players. My buddies wife is good friends with one of the players family. They were a lot of fun and good conversation was had. They had a lot of good things to say about St. Cloud. Miami will go far this year and good luck the rest of the way. Would love to see these two teams play again later in the year when the stakes are a little higher. If not, we'll see you in St. Cloud next year!
            Last edited by motox; 10-12-2009, 10:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by First Time, Long Time View Post
              You were expecting massive improvement after two games?
              It's going to be a process, guys don't normally just snap to improvements overnight.
              Last I checked they had all spring and summer......
              I am Tommyboy, and I approve this message.

In Bob we Trust!

The Herb Brooks National Hockey Center..... I wonder who originally came up with that.

Comment

Originally posted by scsutommyboy View Post
                Last I checked they had all spring and summer......
                well unless they have figured out to practice together via the internet they haven't....

But hey if you know something we dont, where can I buy that??
                Originally posted by Mankato student
                Are their innings or quarters in this sport?
                "Bush and Paulson and Greenspan and their clique are “free marketeers” in the same way that Olive Garden is an Italian restaurant."
                -- Peter Klein

Comment

Originally posted by ts8801 View Post
                  well unless they have figured out to practice together via the internet they haven't....

But hey if you know something we dont, where can I buy that??
                  Last I heard most of the guys stayed in St. cloud to practice. Also I didn't know they had to learn how to clear a puck in OT? Do the coaches have to demonstrate that one? Do they need more time to learn how to not fall asleep after a face off and let the team march down and score? It's not like those two things didn't happen a number of times last year.
                  I am Tommyboy, and I approve this message.

In Bob we Trust!

The Herb Brooks National Hockey Center..... I wonder who originally came up with that.

Comment

Glad you enjoyed the visit, Motox. That said, season ticket holder attendance is a strange subject and what you witnessed is not uncommon for reasons I do not understand. Definitely agree the building is small. I always thought it should have been around 5,000 seats but if there are going to be empty's, even when it's sold out, then I guess 3,500 is fine.

For the record, it was supposed to be at least a little larger. However, construction uncovered some preexisting gas or old water lines that weren't on the original site survey so they couldn't go as far in one direction as they wanted, hence the smaller size. I believe they wanted the building to have 4,000 seats instead of 3,200.
                    http://blogofbrotherhood.com

Comment

Originally posted by redhawk95 View Post
                      Glad you enjoyed the visit, Motox. That said, season ticket holder attendance is a strange subject and what you witnessed is not uncommon for reasons I do not understand. Definitely agree the building is small. I always thought it should have been around 5,000 seats but if there are going to be empty's, even when it's sold out, then I guess 3,500 is fine.

For the record, it was supposed to be at least a little larger. However, construction uncovered some preexisting gas or old water lines that weren't on the original site survey so they couldn't go as far in one direction as they wanted, hence the smaller size. I believe they wanted the building to have 4,000 seats instead of 3,200.

See I knew Motox would discover what I was trying to explain!

As for the seating, from my understanding there is still room for expantion should their need be in the future.
                      Miamiredhawks08: "Side note: have any of you had to wear a helmet in SLOW PITCH SOFTBALL CAGE?!?!?!?! Are you flipping kidding me?!?!?! Felt like a 30 year old wearing floaties in a wading pool! jeebus!"

Comment

Working...
                      X