Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RPI 2010 Offseason VI: The NHL's CBA Doesn't Appear to Have Been a Boon for the Tute.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: RPI 2010 Offseason VI: The NHL's CBA Doesn't Appear to Have Been a Boon for the Tute.

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
    There was even an "acquaintance", as it were, once.
    Isn't there some sort of prohibition against this type of "fraternizing" with the enemy? I would defer to my brothers at The First Church. If there is not a commandment on this one maybe one should be made up
    "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

Comment

Re: RPI 2010 Offseason VI: The NHL's CBA Doesn't Appear to Have Been a Boon for the Tute.

FWIW, I am able to have civilized discussions with Cornell fans on USCHO. They may look down on us for having gone to a tech school, but I knew after HS that I wanted nothing to do with a liberal arts college.

I haven't posted this in ages:
      From the Cornell Alumni Magazine Vol 104 No. 4 describing why Cornell's uniforms are bright red
      Some give credit to legendary hockey and lacrosse coach Ned Harkness, who came to the Hill in 1963. He changed the color of the hockey uniforms to bright red (perhaps because that was what he was accustomed to, after eighteen years at RPI); other Cornell sports teams followed suit.
      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by AspyDad View Post
        Isn't there some sort of prohibition against this type of "fraternizing" with the enemy? I would defer to my brothers at The First Church. If there is not a commandment on this one maybe one should be made up
        Hey, James Bond did it. Haven't you ever seen Goldfinger?

Comment

Pirri departure. It hurts in any language.
          http://www.ckac.com/hockey/nouvelles...ndo-29089.html
          "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cloud View Post
            For what he was being offered, he's a fool not to take the money. Say he breaks his leg in two places next season. There goes his career... there goes the money.
            Actually, if a scholarship player is injured during team activities, RPI honors the deal, in full. That IS insurance. (If, on the other hand, that same player sneaks into a pool and breaks his foot clowning around...not so much)

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
              Hey, James Bond did it. Haven't you ever seen Goldfinger?
              You mean ***** Galore

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                FWIW, ...I knew after HS that I wanted nothing to do with a liberal arts college.

I haven't posted this in ages:
                You are now my hero, RB. The streets are riddled with unemployed Art History majors...and the Lib. Art schools are robbing people blind...

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                  My recollection is that in my freshman year tuition was $1600 per year. It was $1800 the next two years and $2050 when I was a senior. That would make the cost per credit considerably less than $100. I don't recall what my sliderule cost.
                  What's this "slide-rule" that you speak of?
                  Uncle Mickey: July 23, 1950-July 22, 2003

WRPI, 91.5 FM...usually color commentary.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatLakerMohawk View Post
                    All right, now we can afford to grumble a little bit. Brandon Pirri's contract details from CapGeek.

Boil it down this way: If he makes the NHL, his cap hit is worth $648,333, just over half of what Jerry D'Amigo would make if he makes the NHL. In the AHL both he and Jerry will be making $67,500 a year.

The point here, though, is that the money, in this case given that he's a 2nd round pick (versus Jerry whereas he was a sixth rounder), doesn't appear to be worth it. This, of course, just plays into most of our feelings that he jumped too soon. C'est la vie.
                    Add to this: when a player is assigned to the AHL, the parent team will 'pepper' him into NHL games for short periods of time (up to 10 games in a season until they know they want him there...that is when the NHL salary activates on a 2 way). So after the player pays his agent (and trust me, those guys HATE working for free for all the years they are a player's advisor and play NO small role in these situations), buys his schnazzy car (insert dollar amount), rents a place to live (hopefully does not buy and has team roommates), pays his taxes (that are based on the published amounts, not what's left) and sets up his life, he is making what new graduates make. Yes, going to 'the show' is life altering and the goal should be to get there. The 2 players in question here have a better chance than most but the average guy is 3 and done (or wallow in the lower leagues for a while then the game tells him it's over).

Comment

• Re: RPI 2010 Offseason VI: The NHL's CBA Doesn't Appear to Have Been a Boon for the Tute.

Originally posted by jericho View Post
                      What's this "slide-rule" that you speak of?
                      The slide rule is don't use the slide in the playground when it is sunny and hot because the burns could be painful.
                      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• Re: RPI 2010 Offseason VI: The NHL's CBA Doesn't Appear to Have Been a Boon for the Tute.

Doc: I just decided if RB doesn't show up for any games this year that we arrange a kidnapping, feed him Dutch Caramel, and ask him questions about stuff like the 'slide rule'...then sit back and enjoy the laugh 'till we cry responses...

Comment

Originally posted by babo View Post
                          Doc: I just decided if RB doesn't show up for any games this year that we arrange a kidnapping, feed him Dutch Caramel, and ask him questions about stuff like the 'slide rule'...then sit back and enjoy the laugh 'till we cry responses...
                          My current intentions are to show up at sometime after the new year.
                          Last edited by Ralph Baer; 08-25-2010, 07:59 AM.
                          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by babo View Post
                            You are now my hero, RB. The streets are riddled with unemployed Art History majors...and the Lib. Art schools are robbing people blind...
                            Ain't that the truth.Got 2 daughters in liberal arts schools(expensive ones at that).
                            What was the Guy who discovered milk doing to the cow ????????...Or for that matter how bout the fist Guy to drink it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

A grandson of Bobby Baun may play for Cornwall if he doesn't go to the OHL. That makes me feel old. http://www.standard-freeholder.com/A...aspx?e=2727492
                              sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Interesting article from Damien Cox of Toronto Star re: World Hockey Summit and the poaching of NCAA players. JDA mentioned.
                                http://www.thestar.com/article/85204...af-ear-to-ncaa

Comment

Working...
                                X