This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2009-2010 Official Vermont Season Thread

I honestly thought that Grantfans post was a spoof.

It was ludicrous on several fronts. Higgins is a decent fourth line center but no chance of potting a five goal season.

Irwin is playing better but NO chance of HB nomination.

But the TEAM may be able to have some nice achievements if they play in the second half like they did on Sunday

Comment

Will you at least agree with me that Brayden Irwin is a legitimate Walter Brown Award candidate? At least give me that.

Comment

Originally posted by snwbrdr View Post
        I honestly thought that Grantfans post was a spoof.

I don't know, maybe it was. I can't tell anymore.
        Originally posted by Hokydad
        Maine will be better this year relative to rankings than BC will be this year

Comment

Originally posted by grantfan View Post
          Will you at least agree with me that Brayden Irwin is a legitimate Walter Brown Award candidate? At least give me that.
          Nope, he isn't. It's awarded to the "Best American-born Div I College Hockey Player in New England "

Last time I checked, Toronto wasn't in the United States.
          Charter Member of darin's "UML Seven"

"I just hate Boston College to be perfectly honest'' -Ken Dorsey
          "It's time for my favorite NCAA tradition ... that's right, rooting against BC!" -Bill Simmons

Comment

Will you at least agree with me that if Jack Downing is afraid to stand in front of the net when Irwin launches his chest-high or higher bombs that Sneddon should get someone who is not afraid? At least give me that?

Comment

I don't know if you guys have seen this website, but it's pretty neat- shows commitments for Hockey East.
              http://www.insidecollegehockey.com/7...ecruits_he.htm

Comment

Originally posted by bogi View Post
                I don't know if you guys have seen this website, but it's pretty neat- shows commitments for Hockey East.
                http://www.insidecollegehockey.com/7...ecruits_he.htm
                This site is much better, and updated much more frequently.
                Monty

2011-2012 NCAA Tournament Participants
                2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
                2013-2014 Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants
                2015-2016 NCAA Tournament Participants
                2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

Comment

Originally posted by UMLFan View Post

Thanks! your site looks a bit more concise than the one I found.

Comment

Originally posted by UMLFan View Post
                    Thanks for the link to this site. Interesting to compare who is coming in for departing seniors.

Senior (5) forwards : Anctil, Higgins, Irwin, Roloff and Vock. Incoming forwards with a 2010 arrival date (4) : Herrington, Brickley, Decenzo, Montagna

Senior (1) defenseman : Cullity. Defenseman with 2010 arrival date (1) : Doerring

Senior (1) goalie : Spillane. Incoming goalie : ??? Could be Vazzano but appears maybe not as he has 2011 incoming date also.

So this opens the door for discussion...

Other forwards that might not return (3) : Milo - leave for baseball? Academically he is a senior so unless he is interested in graduate work, probably is gone. Atkinson - where is he? Franklin - he has already left the team.

So the coaches have 5 for sure players to replace, potentially 8.

Other defensemen that might not return (4) : Miller - he went to Blackhawks development camp and their scout was on the radio between periods of the early season Merrimack game talking about how much they like him. His stature continues to grow...he was on the all tournament team in the Catamount Cup. Medvec - was drafted in 2006 so if pro team wants him, they will have to make a run at him after this season or he would be eligible to become a free agent. Lawson - he was probably in demand after last season but has struggled this season. A return to how he played last season in the 2nd half, a potential flight risk. MacKenzie - was drafted in 2007 by Buffalo and attended their development camp the last 2 years. Less likely flight risk as he is protected as long as he stays in school for another year.

So the coaches have 1 for sure to replace, potentially 5.

Looks like the UVM coaching staff still have some holes to fill and some big holes if they have some early departures materialize. Since this tread is nearing being closed (1000 posts), perhaps this would be a good discussion item in a 2nd thread? Plus with no games this weekend, what else is there to talk about?
                    Remember the 5 "S's" of hockey - Speed, Size, Strength, Skill and Smarts - The more you have of these, the higher level you get to go to....

Comment

Originally posted by observer85 View Post
                      Thanks for the link to this site. Interesting to compare who is coming in for departing seniors.

Senior (5) forwards : Anctil, Higgins, Irwin, Roloff and Vock. Incoming forwards with a 2010 arrival date (4) : Herrington, Brickley, Decenzo, Montagna

Senior (1) defenseman : Cullity. Defenseman with 2010 arrival date (1) : Doerring

Senior (1) goalie : Spillane. Incoming goalie : ??? Could be Vazzano but appears maybe not as he has 2011 incoming date also.

So this opens the door for discussion...

Other forwards that might not return (3) : Milo - leave for baseball? Academically he is a senior so unless he is interested in graduate work, probably is gone. Atkinson - where is he? Franklin - he has already left the team.

So the coaches have 5 for sure players to replace, potentially 8.

Other defensemen that might not return (4) : Miller - he went to Blackhawks development camp and their scout was on the radio between periods of the early season Merrimack game talking about how much they like him. His stature continues to grow...he was on the all tournament team in the Catamount Cup. Medvec - was drafted in 2006 so if pro team wants him, they will have to make a run at him after this season or he would be eligible to become a free agent. Lawson - he was probably in demand after last season but has struggled this season. A return to how he played last season in the 2nd half, a potential flight risk. MacKenzie - was drafted in 2007 by Buffalo and attended their development camp the last 2 years. Less likely flight risk as he is protected as long as he stays in school for another year.

So the coaches have 1 for sure to replace, potentially 5.

Looks like the UVM coaching staff still have some holes to fill and some big holes if they have some early departures materialize. Since this tread is nearing being closed (1000 posts), perhaps this would be a good discussion item in a 2nd thread? Plus with no games this weekend, what else is there to talk about?
                      I think major losses,

Roloff, Irwin, Vock, these are the big losses, Cullity takes to many penalties and there is significant depth at D if the others stay. Will have to check out how the incoming recruits are doing to really judge.

I don't see many guys leaving early. Milo maybe, tough that the baseball team left, but I think he really loves the game and he can take a few other classes and see how things go. This I think will largely depend on his baseball contract. Toiling in A leagues maybe an incentive to play hockey another year, if they are going to send him into AAA then I think he bolts.

The other guys who went to development camps, I am not too worried about that, Marshall has gone the past few years and he isn't going anywheres. Medvec maybe the biggest risk, he is starting to come on.

All in all, I think you have to replace the departing seniors, Franklin and probably Milo. But hypothetically lets say a defensemen leaves too. That means you have 7 forwards, 2 defensmen, and a goalie that needs replacing. That seems like a lot, but it leaves a good core especially with the 4 freshman forwards that are playing well this season.

Comment

Observer, you are at your best when you present facts and reasonable thoughts as opposed to your outlandish theories and 'observations.' This is an interesting subject to ponder.

Unfortunately, discussion of UVM players always seems to lead some to make negative or diminishing remarks about some players, e.g., jcarter. Staying away from such comments, I will offer my thoughts.

Yes, losing Brian Roloff, Brayden Irwin, and Colin Vock will be "big losses," but how do you diminish the coming loss of the team's top two penalty killers, Jonathan Higgins and Jay Anctil? On a team coached to live and die by its penalty killing, to say nothing of their presence on the 'fourth' line that gets the most ice time in hockey, these are two players about whom I am certain snwbrdr will write this coming August through December, 'their loss is greater than anticipated,' and 'we didn't realize what kind of players they are until they are gone.' To appreciate Kevin Sneddon hockey is to appreciate players like Higgins and Anctil. Their loss on the defensive side of the puck, and, for the record, I still see Higgins banging in 7-10 goals this season, will be every bit as large as any of the other three.

Of the 'flight risks' mentioned, I think Kyle Medvec, Kevan Miller, Matt Marshall, and Justin Milo are the ones to be most concerned about. There has not been one game at the Gutt where I didn't see Medvec talking to, let's say men who look like either representatives of the Minnesota Wild or player representatives. With his dominant play on the ice, I think he will, and should move on to the professional ranks. He appears to have outgrown - no pun intended - the college game. Likewise, Miller plays like a man out there and looks ready to move on.

With Marshall and Milo, I'm just going by what I have seen on team chat lines, which I happen to consider reliable and trustworthy. The most authoritative Tampa Bay Lightning board harkens back to Marshall's play alongside Steve Stamkos in prospect camps as catapulting Stamkos onto the Lightning roster and catapulting Marshall up the prospect list. Recently, an anonymous source blogged that Marshall's "speed has really blossomed in college (Vermont University) and is National League ready." In case Lightning management blames the UVM coaches for any perceived lack of development in Marshall, and this is just me speaking now, I can see them having him leave school and play major junior hockey.

Likewise with Milo, a NY blog recently listed him as the 6th rated left field prospect and the 3rd rated designated hitter prospect, after Matsui left, in the Yankees organization. The organization apparently has plans for him and is considering placing him on the 40-man roster, which would be a big commitment. If it is announced that Milo is placed on the Yankees' 40-man roster, then he's gone for sure. Sometimes it's hard to even think of him as a hockey player, to remember that he came to UVM as a hockey player.

I guess it would be a longshot that Dan Lawson would leave early. He has that cannonating drive from the point, but so far the only point he has is the one he stands at. Few players with 0 points strike professional scouts as ready to move on to higher levels. Unless, like with the Marshall, an NHL club thinks any perceived lack of development is purely the fault of the coaches. Again, me speaking, I think Lawson has been handled very well by the coaches and has been nurtured to live up to the pre-season raves he received.
                        Last edited by grantfan; 01-08-2010, 11:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by grantfan View Post

Unfortunately, discussion of UVM players always seems to lead some to make negative or diminishing remarks about some players, e.g., jcarter. Staying away from such comments, I will offer my thoughts.

Still upset because I don't agree Irwin isn't a hobey candidate or......american? Or is it because I think that Spillane isn't playing well enought to earn a start with his 4GAA and .8-- save %?

Which is it? Or is it because I don't believe Sneddon is the anti-christ?

Comment

Working...
                          X