Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Yale Hockey 2010

Originally posted by yalehockeyfan View Post
    Without Backman we will still score plenty. In end we aren't going far unless we get better play from D men and goalie. With the fire power on this team I still have plenty of faith that a Frozen 4 is within reach. Will be interesting to see how we play next week.
    While I know we have a great team, we lack a true starter in net. This will be our undoing once we face teams in the NCAAs. We are probably the only team in the nation in the top 20 that has every goalie with less than a .900% SP. That just doesn't get it done in the tournament.

I worry about the loss of Backman. It's not just the offense we've lost that I'm worried about, but his leadership, great two-way play, PK ability, and the distribution abilities from the point on the 1st PP unit.
    Dog Lover: Terriers and Bulldogs
    Boston University '06/'08
    Yale University '13

Comment

It will be tough without backman but just look at what they accomplished last year without Digs. After that injury to Dignard last year the team really came together and played their best hockey. guys like Matzack and Martin really stepped up last year and I think this year some guys will really step up and theyll fight through the injury. By the way where has Matzack been - is he injured too? I think that with the injury they can still keep up there level of play and guys like limbert, langaniere, and miller could really step up. After all the best part about this team is their depth.
      Yale Hockey '09 ECAC Champions

Comment

Originally posted by yhforlife View Post
        It will be tough without backman but just look at what they accomplished last year without Digs. After that injury to Dignard last year the team really came together and played their best hockey. guys like Matzack and Martin really stepped up last year and I think this year some guys will really step up and theyll fight through the injury. By the way where has Matzack been - is he injured too? I think that with the injury they can still keep up there level of play and guys like limbert, langaniere, and miller could really step up. After all the best part about this team is their depth.
        I would agree that while losing an important player like Dignard hurts, he's not as critical to the team as a player like Backman. Backman is more important to our offense than Dignard is to our defense. Backman is probably the most important player for our forwards, whereas I'd put Dignard as our third most important d-man (behind Donald and Martin). Yes, Digs brings fantastic offense to the D, but he's not great defensively, and truthfully, our offense is created more by our forwards than our defensemen.
        Yale University '13

Comment

I would like to see Langaniere moved up to Backmans spot, he is a heck of a forechecker and has good hands with the puck. I don't see him taking 10 shots a game ala Backman, but who knows. If all the favorites win tonight we see Harvard next week!
          YALE HOCKEY
          2013 National Champions

Comment

The USCHO article is up. Note the words "at practice."
            Cornell University
            National Champion 1967, 1970
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Stories View Post
              I would agree that while losing an important player like Dignard hurts, he's not as critical to the team as a player like Backman. Backman is more important to our offense than Dignard is to our defense. Backman is probably the most important player for our forwards, whereas I'd put Dignard as our third most important d-man (behind Donald and Martin). Yes, Digs brings fantastic offense to the D, but he's not great defensively, and truthfully, our offense is created more by our forwards than our defensemen.
              Totally agree. Backman is the straw that stirs your drink. He has fantastic offensive ability - the best I've seen in the ECAC this year. Without him, Yale is still a good team but not quite the threat they would be with him.

And I do agree with the other posters that goaltending is a huge issue for Yale. I wasn't impressed with what I saw this year and in tournament play, it becomes magnified with every goal given up.

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                Except they are attributing it to an article in the New Haven newspaper in which the words "at practice" are conspicuously absent.

Comment

It really bothers me that we still dont have a goalie thats playing well and its March. I think Allain will start Maricic again, but I would much rather see Billy Blase.

Comment

Originally posted by redrocker View Post
                    Except they are attributing it to an article in the New Haven newspaper in which the words "at practice" are conspicuously absent.
                    Why does it matter at this point? What's done is done and we're without Backman. It hurts.

It really bothers me that we still dont have a goalie thats playing well and its March. I think Allain will start Maricic again, but I would much rather see Billy Blase.
                    I don't know who I'd rather see.

I think Maricic has been terrible. Malcom hasn't done anything to impress. Blase has been somewhat respectable, but he isn't good at reading plays. I suppose he's the best of our options.
                    Yale University '13

Comment

Looks like we get Brown this weekend.
                      Probably couldn't have asked for better matchup.
                      Will be interesting to see how team responds without Backman and who gets starts in goal.
                      -------------
                      Yale University 2013 National Champs

Comment

ECAC Pick The Playoffs Round 2 is up and ready.
                        Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
                        And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
                        WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
                        If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

Comment

Looks like we get Brown this weekend.
                          Probably couldn't have asked for better matchup.
                          Will be interesting to see how team responds without Backman and who gets starts in goal.
                          Honestly, I would say Yale's chances would be the same against any of the teams they could have wound up playing next week. I saw Brown at RPI this weekend and they are playing as well as anyone right now. They have two very good forward lines (their weakness against Yale will be depth which as Yale's greatest strength in a 3-game series is hurt by loss of Backman but Balch will step into lineup and be better than some Brown regs anyway) and their goaltender can be very good with a lead. The key for Yale is to score first and not fall behind like they have been. Eventually they won't be able to come back if they keep that up.

I would expect Allain to start both Maricic and Blase and/or be quick to pull either for the other. If Yale dominates on offense, I look for him to feel each of them out for when we get to single elim.

Originally posted by redrocker View Post
                          Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                          I want to clarify this as the person who broke the story for USCHO (read: saw it on message board and told editor to post a story) but did not actually do the write-up. I told the editor that the story was broken by the YDN, where the article does imply it was "at practice" - (scroll to bottom and read the correction part - http://www.yaledailynews.com/sports/...elis-waiting/). Why they chose to quote it as from the NHR, I don't know. Nevertheless, the "at practice" part is not confirmed in any way. However, I also have an audio file from after the QU game where Allain says, "we'll skate tomorrow, but we won't lift," which confirms they did in fact practice Sunday, which is odd given it was the first day of two weeks off after two games in a row.

I admire your optimism, and Dignard is the third best offensive defenseman in program history (after Giroux and Bassegio in no particular order), but come on. He was a junior last year; Backman is a senior which makes it hurt the team on an even deeper emotional level because he is the undisputed leader. Donald is the captain, but Backman is the guy that has charted the path to success with everyone trailing in his wake. In my mind, he HAS to be on the bench in a suit basically as an assistant coach. I plan to ask Coach Allain this week if that will be the case and I will get back to you all.

As to Matzack, I know he at least was injured at the time he first came out of the lineup. The same rules applied then so Allain wouldn't comment on the nature of it so it's possible he is still hurt. He wasn't anything special while he was in there this year and it is very possible that freshman Colin Dueck has simply played his way into the lineup ahead of him to add more size to the D which does not need to be relied on as much on O.

I agree people will step up, and they should be motivated to not let Backman down. I am sure he will do all he can to motivate them vocally without being on the ice. Sean needs to put what obviously must be tremendous personal disappointment behind him and be there 100% for his team. I also agree with the names you mentioned in Limbert and Laganiere. There might be a temptation to move either Anderson or Mason to that line because they play with those guys already on the PP unit, but I like their chemistry and wouldn't want to split them up. I see Allain rotating Laganiere, Limbert, Ziegler, and maybe Balch with O'Neill and Miller until something clicks. One thing the loss of Backman doesn't hurt is the great chemistry O'Neill and Miller have with each other even without him which comes from the time they played together in Chicago. They have a few really effective give-and-go plays they work nicely on the rush and whoever plays with them should be made to look really good.

Without Backman we will still score plenty. In end we aren't going far unless we get better play from D men and goalie. With the fire power on this team I still have plenty of faith that a Frozen 4 is within reach. Will be interesting to see how we play next week.
                          Yale needs to continue to control the pace and not allow themselves to play playoff style hockey. If they continue to score as they can, they will win. If they get bogged down in a defensive battle, it might be all over. Brown is the most physical team in the league which makes them a much better playoff team than reg season team. RPI plays a similar style to Yale (you saw it at Ingalls this year albeit in a game Yale did not play well) and Brown won the two games that were grinders.

Don't hate so much on the Yale goalies. Can't we at least save that for when they start losing? Sure no one has great stats. But the bottom line is they win games. They are good when they need to be. Look as Blase at Cornell and Maricic at Wisconsin. I was lucky enough to be at both of those but I certainly understand if some of you were not. It's not like Yale is losing a lot of close games. When Yale scores 7 goals on 50+ shots and they only see 18 or 20, it can be hard to stay in a game completely as a goalie. Allain will tell you that.

The view is also distorted by how well opposing goalies play against Yale. It just makes our guys look worse than they really are and its the flip side of the coin. When you allow five or six goals to Yale, you still look great because you also made 50 saves and a lot of those were on top notch chances. Goalies play better when they get into it by facing more shots and obviously step it up against the nation's top offense.

Comment

First of all I think that Matzack must be injured because I haven't been all that impressed the way Dueck plays. He is good defensively and not a bad skater(plus he's pretty big). The downside though is that he isn't the smartest player I've seen play and I don't think he's gotten a shot through to the net this year on about 8 blocked shots.

Secondly I just can't ger over the fact that I will never hear the Yale PA announcer go "YALE GOAL, A POWERPLAY GOAL, SCORED BY NUMBER 16, SEAN BACKMANNN". This was probably the first thing I thought about after hearing we'd be without Backman. I wish I could just hear that one more time. It would be worth more than all 40 something other times he's said that.

If I was Allain this would be my lines vs. Brown(to start)

Forwards

Kearney Arco Little
                            Anderson Mason Brocket
                            Balch Limbert Ziegler
                            Laganier Miller Oneill

(where has jaskowiak been as well)

Goalie
                            Billy Blase

Comment

Originally posted by klumpmypants View Post
                              Yale needs to continue to control the pace and not allow themselves to play playoff style hockey. If they continue to score as they can, they will win. If they get bogged down in a defensive battle, it might be all over. Brown is the most physical team in the league which makes them a much better playoff team than reg season team. RPI plays a similar style to Yale (you saw it at Ingalls this year albeit in a game Yale did not play well) and Brown won the two games that were grinders.

Don't hate so much on the Yale goalies. Can't we at least save that for when they start losing? Sure no one has great stats. But the bottom line is they win games. They are good when they need to be. Look as Blase at Cornell and Maricic at Wisconsin. I was lucky enough to be at both of those but I certainly understand if some of you were not. It's not like Yale is losing a lot of close games. When Yale scores 7 goals on 50+ shots and they only see 18 or 20, it can be hard to stay in a game completely as a goalie. Allain will tell you that.

The view is also distorted by how well opposing goalies play against Yale. It just makes our guys look worse than they really are and its the flip side of the coin. When you allow five or six goals to Yale, you still look great because you also made 50 saves and a lot of those were on top notch chances. Goalies play better when they get into it by facing more shots and obviously step it up against the nation's top offense.
                              I agree completely with the grinding style of hockey. We are not blessed with large size, which is why when we try and bump and grind with the big guys, we usually will come up on the losing side of things. If we can continue to play well in transition and get to pucks first, we should be competitive with anybody in the nation.

That said, I still don't believe in any of our goalies. Sure, our system of aggressively pinching can sometimes leave our goalies out to dry, but that doesn't help the fact I've rarely seen a goalie come up with "that save" which can swing the momentum in the game. Once in a while, you want your goalie to save the team's bacon, and unfortunately, we don't have that sort of goalie on the bench. Our goalie makes some saves you expect him to make (and also misses some you expect him to make), and never makes the save you never expect him to make. This is just the cold truth of our average to below-average tending.

Yes, our team is poor when the opposing team is working the cycle very well and our coverage in the slot is very poor, but one too many times I've seen Maricic cheat (ie. over anticipate) on plays that gets him so poorly out of position or Blase going down way too early into butterfly leaving the top shelf wide open.

Our best chance of winning games is to maintain our high speed, up tempo, kitchen sink thrown at the net style and prevent the other team from getting many shots. That's our game and as long as we stick to it, we should get a NCAA birth whether it's through the ECAC tourny or an at-large. That said, I'm not sure how we'll compete against some of the bigger schools that have players with size and speed.
                              Yale University '13

Comment

Originally posted by Stories View Post
                                I agree completely with the grinding style of hockey. We are not blessed with large size, which is why when we try and bump and grind with the big guys, we usually will come up on the losing side of things. If we can continue to play well in transition and get to pucks first, we should be competitive with anybody in the nation.

That said, I still don't believe in any of our goalies. Sure, our system of aggressively pinching can sometimes leave our goalies out to dry, but that doesn't help the fact I've rarely seen a goalie come up with "that save" which can swing the momentum in the game. Once in a while, you want your goalie to save the team's bacon, and unfortunately, we don't have that sort of goalie on the bench. Our goalie makes some saves you expect him to make (and also misses some you expect him to make), and never makes the save you never expect him to make. This is just the cold truth of our average to below-average tending.

Yes, our team is poor when the opposing team is working the cycle very well and our coverage in the slot is very poor, but one too many times I've seen Maricic cheat (ie. over anticipate) on plays that gets him so poorly out of position or Blase going down way too early into butterfly leaving the top shelf wide open.

Our best chance of winning games is to maintain our high speed, up tempo, kitchen sink thrown at the net style and prevent the other team from getting many shots. That's our game and as long as we stick to it, we should get a NCAA birth whether it's through the ECAC tourny or an at-large. That said, I'm not sure how we'll compete against some of the bigger schools that have players with size and speed.
                                The Q game was on NESN and they showed plenty of replays of Q's goals. Goalies cheat when they feel they aren't getting help from their D on the backside. 3 of the 4 goals were quick passes behind the goalie to Q players waiting on the doorstep for quick tap ins.

Yale gives up way too many quality opportunities.

Comment

Working...
                                X