Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ticket Price Elasticity: How high would you go?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: BU Season Ticket Prices

Originally posted by Red Cloud View Post
    I don't know what's up with the deflation from last year. The calculator might be bollocks up.
    US CPI:
    2008: 215.3
    2009: 214.5
    2010: 217-218 through July

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
      Red Cloud, thanks for that information. We have had tickets since 1985, but they were either student or young alumni season tickets, so the prices would not be the same as for regular season tickets.

The building of Agganis Arena was the major reason ticket prices rose so quickly from 1999 to 2003 ($6 in four seasons). The rate of increase has been slower since then ($4.71 in seven seasons).

As for the future inflation, what rate did you use?

Sean
      Not sure what the calculator's programmer used for that... probably some kind of projection, but future projections are obviously to be taken with a grain of salt.

http://www.halfhill.com/inflation.html
      Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
        Red Cloud, thanks for that information. We have had tickets since 1985, but they were either student or young alumni season tickets, so the prices would not be the same as for regular season tickets.

The building of Agganis Arena was the major reason ticket prices rose so quickly from 1999 to 2003 ($6 in four seasons). The rate of increase has been slower since then ($4.71 in seven seasons).

As for the future inflation, what rate did you use?

Sean
        was it really the construction of Agganis? because there has been a $1 -$2 per ticket consistent increase every 2-3 years, regardless of the Agganis effect except for the one year where it i guess was the Agganis effect i'm wondering if that made any sense at all ......sure wish it was october

Comment

Re: Ticket Price Elasticity: How high would you go?

Originally posted by Puck Swami View Post
          No - these are individual game prices, not season ticket.
          UW gets $18 for Friday games and $19.50 for Saturday games if you buy season tickets. They have it broken up it, "face-off" (Friday games) and, "slap-shot" (Saturday games).
          The single game price is $22 for the 100 level, 200 level and the first rows of the 300 level and $18 for the D section of the 300 level.
          A Badger living in Buckeye country.
          Originally posted by MadCityRich
          He blossomed after he left the U, and they still named a city in Minnesota after him?
          Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet
          Sieve, Minnesota? Never heard of it.
          Originally posted by Timothy A
          I know my distain of anything and everything related to IL or MN is totally insane, but that's me; you can't change the genetics.
          "The state of North Dakota may not exist. It's like South Dakota's Canadian girlfriend." -- Stephen Colbert

Comment

Originally posted by GoBucky36 View Post
            UW gets $18 for Friday games and $19.50 for Saturday games if you buy season tickets. They have it broken up it, "face-off" (Friday games) and, "slap-shot" (Saturday games).
            The single game price is $22 for the 100 level, 200 level and the first rows of the 300 level and $18 for the D section of the 300 level.
            I only mentioned the highest single game ticket prices for each school, since J.D. was asking if there were more expensive tickets out there than BU's $22.71.

Comment

I only mentioned the highest single game ticket prices for each school, since J.D. was asking if there were more expensive tickets out there than BU's $22.71.
              Meanwhile I think you can get BSU and MTU tickets for a jelly doughnut and a pasty, respectively.
              Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
              Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Probably should have clarified...I meant highest season ticket. For example, BC's is $17 per game this season.

Comment

Originally posted by Slasher7 View Post
                  $30 for a college hockey game is ridiculous.
                  Is this a sarcastic jab at BC charging $30 per ticket for the BU game this year, or were you unaware?

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                  For the upcoming season, are any tickets more expensive than BU's $22.71 per game?
                  Adjusted for cost of living or median income I bet there are, but I'm too tired to verify that.

I do, however think that makes BU's attendance numbers, which I was kind of down on last year, more impressive to me, especially since with Premium seats, Scarlet seats, and luxury boxes there are a fair number of tickets significantly higher priced than that number.

As for the answer to the actual question? To roughly quote Paul Ashworth "If I have enough money for season tickets and rent why would I need more money?"
                  Last edited by Agganis; 08-23-2010, 11:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MaizeRage View Post
                    By that logic, the average high school game in Minnesota is about $6, and I don't know that college hockey is more than three times better than that.

$15-20 seems about reasonable to me. I think some WCHA schools have definitely gone overboard on the ticket pricing in recent years.
                    I hit 10-20 high school games each year and I will GLADLY pay $25+ to see a WCHA game vs $6-$10 for a High School game. Most High School teams have 2-3 D-1 caliber players at MOST (most actually have less than 1) vs. all WCHA teams are full of D-1 players so the games are much, much better thus worth 3-6 x's the cost.

Comment

Originally posted by Agganis View Post
                      Is this a sarcastic jab at BC charging $30 per ticket for the BU game this year, or were you unaware?
                      It was $30 on the season tickets, but was it $30 come game time? They made up for that by offering "lower" games at $15, etc. Either way, $30 for a college hockey regular season game is extreme--no matter the teams involved.

Comment

It was $30 on the season tickets, but was it $30 come game time? They made up for that by offering "lower" games at $15, etc. Either way, $30 for a college hockey regular season game is extreme--no matter the teams involved.
                        was the best home game by far though , even if we lost in OT with the deflection of a leg ......and they placated us with the free ticket offer to one of a few choice games later in the year

Comment

Originally posted by Agganis View Post
                          I am well aware. It's a jab at every school that gauges its fans like that. Reading how Minnesota charges $50 a game is unbelievable. $15 a game is about the price a college game should be regardless of the opponent. $30 a ticket probably makes it unaffordable to most families, especially if they attend regular games but can't commit to a season ticket.

Comment

Originally posted by Slasher7 View Post
                            I am well aware. It's a jab at every school that gauges its fans like that. Reading how Minnesota charges $50 a game is unbelievable. $15 a game is about the price a college game should be regardless of the opponent. $30 a ticket probably makes it unaffordable to most families, especially if they attend regular games but can't commit to a season ticket.
                            and when you get past the $30 barrier you are really close to making the price close enough to some pro tickets that the buyer (at least in the pro sports crazed Boston area) will go to the pro event....that $50 thing at Minnesota is nuts

Comment

Yep, I bought my tickets week of the game. Since before that they had been "Beckham Miniplan"-ing the game and requiring you to buy tickets to 3 other BC home games to get BU tickets.

Originally posted by sterlippo1 View Post
                              and when you get past the $30 barrier you are really close to making the price close enough to some pro tickets that the buyer (at least in the pro sports crazed Boston area) will go to the pro event....that $50 thing at Minnesota is nuts
                              Yeah, many people would use the following logic but for pro vs college instead of college vs high school:

Originally posted by waterlover View Post
                              I hit 10-20 high school games each year and I will GLADLY pay $25+ to see a WCHA game vs $6-$10 for a High School game. Most High School teams have 2-3 D-1 caliber players at MOST (most actually have less than 1) vs. all WCHA teams are full of D-1 players so the games are much, much better thus worth 3-6 x's the cost.

Comment

Originally posted by sterlippo1 View Post
                                MN does not charge $50 per game. The cost is $35 per game for non-donation seats. The $50 figure you read was what UND charges for games against MN.

Comment

Working...
                                X