Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ticket Price Elasticity: How high would you go?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ticket Price Elasticity: How high would you go?

Originally posted by JS Tigers View Post
    IIRC, $25 doesn't get you in the door at Agganis.
    I hear that $25 gets you a whole season at CC!

All joking aside, I have four seats at DU at $625 each ($25 per seat per game) for the season and I desperately wish my ticket prices were closer to CC's prices.

The economy has created havoc to my finances. I live within my means. I am not in debt but I have always tried to stay above and pay cash for most of my purchases. Recently I have saved significantly less than I previously had to.

This year I almost halved my tickets, but I figure I can weather the economy for the next three years and I love my seats.

I will sell a few tickets here and there which will help in the short run. On the whole, I do not wish to pay much more for my tickets. $100 per game for four, plus parking (and no beer for me). I did put my tickets on the payment plan and it is on my credit card.

The first year of the Avs, lower bowl seats to the side of goal line were $50 per seat per game. Amazing how far 15 years have changed things for both DU and the Avs.

Comment

Originally posted by COHockey View Post
      I hear that $25 gets you a whole season at CC!

All joking aside, I have four seats at DU at $625 each ($25 per seat per game) for the season and I desperately wish my ticket prices were closer to CC's prices.

The economy has created havoc to my finances. I live within my means. I am not in debt but I have always tried to stay above and pay cash for most of my purchases. Recently I have saved significantly less than I previously had to.

This year I almost halved my tickets, but I figure I can weather the economy for the next three years and I love my seats.

I will sell a few tickets here and there which will help in the short run. On the whole, I do not wish to pay much more for my tickets. $100 per game for four, plus parking (and no beer for me). I did put my tickets on the payment plan and it is on my credit card.

The first year of the Avs, lower bowl seats to the side of goal line were $50 per seat per game. Amazing how far 15 years have changed things for both DU and the Avs.
      I think my season tix at CC average out to somewhere between $15-18 per ticket, 13 rows up in the end CC attacks twice. I'm too lazy to look up what I paid this year, so that's a rough guess.
      Colorado College Hockey: Finding new and creative ways to break your heart since 1957.
      -dggoddard

Comment

In the present day, I think regular season NCAA hockey is a pretty good value at up to $20 a ticket. For a highly anticipated game between two elite teams, I'd be willing to pay up to $30 or perhaps $35. Any more than that, it either has to be a conference championship tourney like the Final Five, or the NCAAs.

Obviously though, we're the alums and the diehards. The casual fan's opinion going to vary depending on location and income. I guarantee you (even if Tech is having a rare competitive season ) that Bob Smith from Houghton who scrapes together $40,000/year as a hardware store clerk and part-time handyman, is going to have a lower price ceiling than J.P. Preston IV, the well-heeled Boston corpie type looking for some father-son time with his kid.

Comment

Hard to say really, but I'd be up in arms if the average ticket ever surpassed $30.

Comment

Originally posted by Ryecheers View Post
            I hope that $471 includeds playoff tickets, because for perhaps 17 home games, that about $28 per game. Such a deal!

At NU, those same seats would run around $195 for 18 home games. It is clear to me that we should raise the price we charge bu students when they come to Matthews. The tickets would be a bargain to your fans at twice the price we're charging you!
            $471 is not the student price, in fact, those are free unless you want the guaranteed ticket, in which case the cost comes out to something like $8 a game and the package includes beanpot tickets in the cost.

$471 includes the price of the 3 HE QF games, refunded if they're not played at home. And there aren't 17 home games, there are usually around 18, plus exhibition. Some games cost more, BC, UNH, Maine, big-time OOC game. 471/22 games = ~$21.50. A whopping $5.50 more than the $16 NU charges us.

I won't defend the ticket prices at Agganis, they're very high for the average fan, and they still haven't figured out that selling tickets for $24 + $2 "building charge" + ticketraper fees for a Merrimack or Holy Cross game won't equal good attendance numbers. The real cost to get in comes out to around $30, $32 for the big games. It's a bit much for the single game ticket buyers who aren't diehards.
            time to write new history

Comment

Originally posted by Ryecheers View Post
              I hope that $471 includeds playoff tickets, because for perhaps 17 home games, that about $28 per game. Such a deal!

At NU, those same seats would run around $195 for 18 home games. It is clear to me that we should raise the price we charge bu students when they come to Matthews. The tickets would be a bargain to your fans at twice the price we're charging you!
              as slurpees said, it includes the home HEA quarters (which we have to pay for every year). 18g + 3 playoff.
              a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

BU has multi-tiered ticket pricing as already mentioned. Season tickets for the upcoming season are $449 (the exhibition game vs the Swedish U-20 team has been canceled) for 20 games – 1 exh, 16 RS and 3 HE QF. The prices for these games vary:
                11 games @ $22 each = $242
                6 games @ $24 each = $144 (2 vs BC, 2 vs UVM, 1 vs UNH, 1 vs Maine)
                3 games @ $21 each = $63 (HE quarterfinals)
                These prices reflect an increase of $1 per game over last season.

Student tickets are free with Sports Pass and they can also have student season tickets as already mentioned.

I believe that ticket prices for individual exh. and RS games are either $24 or $26 plus the $2 facility charge. If you purchase the tickets at the box office there is no “convenience charge” to my knowledge, otherwise you get hit.

Group tickets start at $15

BU charges $10 a game to park in any of the university’s garages/lots.

BU also has suites, premium seats and last season sold Scarlet Seat packages for individual games.

Sean
                Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
                Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
                BU Hockey highlights and extras
                NCAA Hockey Financials
                Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
                I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

at UAH I pay 8 dollars a ticket to sit in my seat i would porbly be will to go up about 50 percent because that is what i used to pay for the pro team that shares the arena with UAH

Comment

Originally posted by IrishHockeyFan View Post
                    OK, this is a gross over-generalization, but if a third think the price is too high, a third would pay more, and the final third thinks prices are just right, doesn't that mean the price point has been pretty much hit upon?
                    Not necessarily. If you follow a business model whose goal is to maximize profit (an assumption that probably isn't 100% true for most programs - other goals include access to the games for students, etc.), it says that:

(a) 1/3 of the seats are priced correctly

(b) 1/3 of the seats are underpriced and they should raise the price since they can extract more dollars from those people without worrying about losing them as a customer

(c) 1/3 of the seats are trickier. If they're occupied, then the assumption that they're overpriced is invalid - otherwise those people would choose not to buy the seats. If they're unoccupied, then they truly are overpriced and the price should be lower to get people into the seats who want to buy the "product" but are willing to pay a lower amount.

The tactics of how one would accomplish this are practiced every day by pricing professionals at almost every major company you can think of that sells two similar products at different price points. Premium seating at entertainment events, basic and premium versions of that plasma TV you've had your eye on, etc.

Interesting conversation...

Comment

$30 at BU is the most I'll pay, and I only justify that because it's only two times a season. If UMass charged that (or if more conference opponents started charging that much) I'd go to fewer games. I think $20 is the most I'd pay per game without going to significantly less games each year. Really I think the tickets should cost between $10 and $15.
                      #NewMass

Comment

Originally posted by jjmc85 View Post
                        Really I think the tickets should cost between $10 and $15

Too little, IMHO.

College hockey is way better a movie ticket, which is the price range you are talking about.

If NHL tickets cost $40-80 on average, college hockey is at least half as good as the NHL (some say it's better but that's an argument for another thread), $20-30 is more than reasonable for what you get in college hockey, at least to me.

Comment

With BU adding women's hockey I now have a number of conflicts between men's and women's games every season. Because of this I now go to fewer men's away games, which means I spend less on tickets and travel then I used to. So I can pay more for the men's tickets and still spend less than I used to.

Sean
                          Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
                          Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
                          BU Hockey highlights and extras
                          NCAA Hockey Financials
                          Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
                          I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
                            Actually I think they are $22 less now since we don't have to sit through the U-19 Switzerland team or whatever the canceled game was.

I think at BU, for now, they are approaching the breaking point for quite a few people I know.
                            $30 for a college hockey game is ridiculous.
                            Last edited by Slasher7; 08-20-2010, 12:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by nmu_27 View Post
                              NMU will charge $15/game this upcoming year. Season tickets work out to $10/game.
                              Note to BC ticket office: this is how you get good season ticket sales...you actually offer an incentive rather than reducing prices for games well into the season after season ticket holders have already paid a higher per game price.

Originally posted by Slasher7 View Post
                              $30 for a college hockey game is ridiculous.
                              For a regular season game, completely agree. No school should be approaching the $30 mark.

Comment

Originally posted by Puck Swami View Post
                                Too little, IMHO.

College hockey is way better a movie ticket, which is the price range you are talking about.
                                I'd rather go to a college hockey game than a movie, but I'm willing to bet I'm in the vast minority when it comes to that. All things considered, I feel like $10-$15 is a fair price, especially in New England where professional sports are king.
                                #NewMass

Comment

Working...
                                X