Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ticket Price Elasticity: How high would you go?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ticket Price Elasticity: How high would you go?

Originally posted by dggoddard View Post
    Technically, season ticket holders between the blue lines pay significantly over face value for season tickets to Badger games thanks to the mandatory donations.
    It's not as bad as you might think.

Some of my old Crease Creature crowd gets the Friday package, and this weekend, he claimed that with the donation, he only had to pay like $250/per for lower level seats.

The only caveat? They're within smelling distance of the benches.
    If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by MoFan View Post
      Do they have to ever come down? Witness the NY Giants, waiting list doesn't move much and it doesn't seem to matter if the team is good or......just mediocre.
      You were missing the nerdy engineering perspective on the use of the word "elasticity".
      If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by Puck Swami View Post
        $35 per ticket is about half the price of a comparable ticket for the Wild. Seems to me you guys are still getting a bargain...
        You can get a ticket to see the Bruins in Boston for $25.
        Brown Bears - 2014 National Champions

Comment

My guess is that 1/3 of Denver fans think they are underpaying for tickets, 1/3 probably thinks they are overpaying and 1/3 probably think the tickets are priced correctly.
          OK, this is a gross over-generalization, but if a third think the price is too high, a third would pay more, and the final third thinks prices are just right, doesn't that mean the price point has been pretty much hit upon?

Originally posted by Bakunin View Post
          While "cheap" compared to the Wild, it's awfully expensive compared to the rest of college hockey. Unless the team starts dominating again, there is no way the school can justify charging these prices to its fans.
          Perhaps not, but they will continue to charge it anyway. Ticket prices never really go down. Sure a team may lower the prices in a small section here or there of the worst seats, often using it as a marketing ploy, while maintaining the same overall average price for a seat. After 1 winning season between them in the last 15-20 years how much lower are the prices of tickets to see the Kansas City Royals or Pittsburgh Pirates play than they were 5-10 years ago?

Comment

Originally posted by MoFan View Post
            Do they have to ever come down? Witness the NY Giants, waiting list doesn't move much and it doesn't seem to matter if the team is good or......just mediocre.
            If they're still selling out every game, they can afford to raise the price of tickets some more.
            Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

Originally posted by Onion Man View Post
              You can get a ticket to see the Bruins in Boston for $25.
              In the upper deck corner, halfway to Revere, right?

That same $25 at BU or BC gets you eye-to-eye with Jackie and Jerry....

Comment

each of my season tickets at HAA cost me $471 this year... i hesitated for half a second... but the fact that we are all giving/award/loyalty based and i have a gazillion points threw it down in their favor.

i did however pass on sunday ticket this year...
                a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Those of us who travel long distances to games would probably blow the curve. When you're spending $300-400 for your hockey weekend after all expenses are accounted for, $100 per ticket would still work. Of course, that would price out all but about 100 fans, so it would hurt the game atmosphere.

At season ticket prices, with 16 or 17 games including the exhibitions that they make you eat, $60 per ticket is the highest I'd go.
                  Cornell University
                  National Champion 1967, 1970
                  ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                  Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

For me the breaking price point at MN isn't entirely dependent on recent wins and losses, I can live with a couple down years given the overall success of the program over the last 30+ years I've been a fan. What really bugs the snot out of me, and makes me pause at renewal time, is how the athletic department has succeeded in sucking the life out of the arena with ads & other crap that prevents the band from playing and doesn't allow the students any spontaneity in their cheers.

PS asked an interesting question about the value of Gopher tickets versus going to a Wild game. Right now for comparably priced tickets I think the Wild is a better value and for the past few seasons their games, IMHO, are a hell of a lot more fun to attend.

Minnesota's Pride On Ice: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002 & 2003 NCAA National Champions

And the preacher said, you know you always have the Lord by your side
                    And I was so pleased to be informed of this that I ran
                    Twenty red lights in his honor
                    Thank you Jesus, thank you Lord

~Mick Jagger/Keith Richards

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                      each of my season tickets at HAA cost me $471 this year... i hesitated for half a second... but the fact that we are all giving/award/loyalty based and i have a gazillion points threw it down in their favor.

Actually I think they are $22 less now since we don't have to sit through the U-19 Switzerland team or whatever the canceled game was.

I think at BU, for now, they are approaching the breaking point for quite a few people I know.

Comment

Probably $25. I went to the Twins game last Saturday, sat in the 6th row in left-center field right next to the bullpen, paid $25 a ticket for them. Great view of the field. They'd be great seats to catch a home run, if any were ever hit at Target Field....

Comment

$25-30 for a regular season game, depending on what game it is and where I am at.

I wouldn't pay $25 for a MN-MSUM game at Mariucci, because it'd be on tv, and I'd rather watch it with friends somewhere and have a couple. It's more fun.

I paid $25 for a UND-MTU game in Grand Forks because that's about the cheapest I'll find those tickets for a WCHA game, and I had never been there.

For playoffs, I usually am satisfied with just getting in the building, as most arenas don't really have a bad sightline.
                          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                          Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

NMU will charge $15/game this upcoming year. Season tickets work out to $10/game.

If I was going to go to most games, $25 would be close to my limit.

If I'm only traveling in for a series or two, I'd pay $40.
                            Embrace the hate.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post

I hope that $471 includeds playoff tickets, because for perhaps 17 home games, that about $28 per game. Such a deal!

At NU, those same seats would run around $195 for 18 home games. It is clear to me that we should raise the price we charge bu students when they come to Matthews. The tickets would be a bargain to your fans at twice the price we're charging you!

Comment

IIRC, $25 doesn't get you in the door at Agganis. And the seats are so ungodly cramped in there that I'd rather go to a B's game and sit in the nosebleeds.
                                Colorado College Hockey: Finding new and creative ways to break your heart since 1957.
                                -dggoddard

Comment

Working...
                                X