Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ticket Price Elasticity: How high would you go?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ticket Price Elasticity: How high would you go?

College hockey is generally a good bargain across the country, especially compared to NHL Hockey ticket prices. In some markets, college hockey is even priced roughly on par with movie tickets, and student tickets can be priced even cheaper than movie tickets.

My question is this - what would your price ceiling have to be for you to give up your current ticket package? Or if you currently buy indidividual tickets, at what price point would you stop buying? We are die hards here, but I wonder if some schools are leaving revenue on the table, or is the current price elasticity appropriate to the level of demand?
    Last edited by Puck Swami; 08-16-2010, 02:08 PM.

Re: Ticket Price Elasticity: How high would you go?

Depends how crappy my team is doing at the time. I'm willing to pay more if the product on the ice is good.

Since tickets are normally $26 (ish), I guess I would go as high as $50 for a single game.

Season tickets are already out of my price range, so thats a non factor.
    PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
    Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
    NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
      Depends how crappy my team is doing at the time. I'm willing to pay more if the product on the ice is good.

Since tickets are normally $26 (ish), I guess I would go as high as $50 for a single game.
      I would also pay at least up to twice what I am currently paying now for the quality of the games we get, and I pay a similar amount for Denver games as you pay for Minnesota games. My guess is that 1/3 of Denver fans think they are underpaying for tickets, 1/3 probably thinks they are overpaying and 1/3 probably think the tickets are priced correctly.

Comment

Originally posted by Puck Swami View Post
        I would also pay at least up to twice what I am currently paying now for the quality of the games we get, and I pay a similar amount for Denver games as you pay for Minnesota games. My guess is that 1/3 of Denver fans think they are underpaying for tickets, 1/3 probably thinks they are overpaying and 1/3 probably think the tickets are priced correctly.
        Do the 3 of you sit next to each other at games?
        Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
        NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
          Been a while since they've been that low here (unless you're getting student tickets).

Comment

The company I work for has season tickets and gives me tickets to almost half of the home games... I would be willing to pay considerable more than nothing
            Originally posted by vizoroo
            Thought you had picked the avatar so we could id you. Guess he fooled me too.
            Originally posted by duper
            I obviously missed it, but it sounds like some idiot from CC took trolling to a whole new, totally inappropriate level.

I was well over the borderline. I figured I would meet you on your turf.
            Every time you post like an *******, I want to quote the idiotic comment you made where you claim not to be a troll. You're such a dick.
            Originally posted by dggoddard
            Finally you made me laugh.

There may be hope for you yet.

Comment

Originally posted by goldy_331 View Post
              Been a while since they've been that low here (unless you're getting student tickets).
              Naw, I just haven't paid to goto Mariucci recently. That whole performance thing...
              Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance

Comment

*****http://img267.imageshack.us/img267/9236/drevil.jpg******
                Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
                when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
                Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

Originally posted by Puck Swami View Post
                  College hockey is generally a good bargain across the country.
                  Not in Minneapolis. $35 per game (JF's number was in fact low).

For the donation seats, the minimum contribution is $700 annually - which makes those tickets around $60 per game (after accounting for the tax write-off).

People might gladly pay these prices if the team was on par with those between '02 and '07, but evidence is growing that people are abandoning ship after the late run of mediocrity. Somebody in the 900s on the waiting list for season tickets was apparently able to get some for this season - which shows a lot of people didn't renew their tickets and a lot of people on the wait list declined the opportunity to buy this year. That list normally moves about 20 spots per year.

Comment

Originally posted by Bakunin View Post
                    Not in Minneapolis. $35 per game (JF's number was in fact low).

For the donation seats, the minimum contribution is $700 annually - which makes those tickets around $60 per game (after accounting for the tax write-off).

People might gladly pay these prices if the team was on par with those between '02 and '07, but evidence is growing that people are abandoning ship after the late run of mediocrity. Somebody in the 900s on the waiting list for season tickets was apparently able to get some for this season - which shows a lot of people didn't renew their tickets and a lot of people on the wait list declined the opportunity to buy this year. That list normally moves about 20 spots per year.
                    $35 per ticket is about half the price of a comparable ticket for the Wild. Seems to me you guys are still getting a bargain...

Comment

Correction: the donation amount is only for new season ticket holders until the U changes its preferred seating system / donation amounts in a couple years. Even after it does that, accounting for the donations (revised downward), the average cost per game will remain high.

While "cheap" compared to the Wild, it's awfully expensive compared to the rest of college hockey. Unless the team starts dominating again, there is no way the school can justify charging these prices to its fans.

Comment

This year at the BREC, a season ticket for the mens hockey games is $325. A student season pass is $50.

The normal season ticket price puts each game at $20. I used to pay $30 or more at SCSU everytime UND, U of M, or a decent team came to town.
                        Great moments...are born from great opportunity.
                        THIS IS BEAVER HOCKEY.

Comment

It's nerd time:

Technically, if ticket prices are elastic, I can just wait for them to come back down later.

I'm sure I'd be willing to pay more than face value right now for decent lower level seats at the Kohl Center.
                          If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                            I'm sure I'd be willing to pay more than face value right now for decent lower level seats at the Kohl Center.
                            Technically, season ticket holders between the blue lines pay significantly over face value for season tickets to Badger games thanks to the mandatory donations.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                              It's nerd time:

Technically, if ticket prices are elastic, I can just wait for them to come back down later.

Do they have to ever come down? Witness the NY Giants, waiting list doesn't move much and it doesn't seem to matter if the team is good or......just mediocre.
                              Cornell '92, Michigan '97 - Go Red! Go Blue!
                              I flex a real hard juice card.

Comment

Working...
                              X