Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2011 Frozen Four lottery results

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • COHockey
    replied
    Re: 2011 Frozen Four lottery results

    The way I look at it, I want to take a couple vacations per year and one of them will be the frozen four. My wife loves college hockey and we hope to go every year until we are no longer able to.

    We get to visit different parts of the country, be a tourist in areas where we might not otherwise go, eat at different restaurants, and enjoy good hockey while we are at it. There is always a team we can cheer for, even if that is not our team. 2011 we have to skip, my wife is due just prior to the frozen four.

    I know I can get FF tickets at or lower than face value, but I want the point, am willing to wait the many years to get the good seats, and want to be sure I have the tickets in hand before I travel to a city usually far away (the disadvantage of being from Denver, we have to fly everywhere).

    Leave a comment:


  • Slasher7
    replied
    Re: 2011 Frozen Four lottery results

    Originally posted by CLS View Post
    Not disagreeing with you, but this reasoning doesn't apply to everybody. For many long time attendees, #1 isn't an issue (actually if it were an issue, we probably wouldn't be long time attendees ). As for the "insurance", it's worth more than just the opportunity to by tickets. I don't know other's threshhold for risk-taking, but I'd be very reluctant to buy non-refundable airline tickets without the insurance. And some hotels are taking deposits and applying penalties for cancellations.

    As for the having money tied up for a year, IMO, it's more emotional that real. Yeah, I don't like the NCAA having my money a year in advance. But if the money were in the bank instead of with the NCAA, the interest I'd earn is wouldn't even buy me a beer -- probably not even a bottle of water -- at the next FF. And emotionally, for me at least, after the first year it doesn't feel as bad. I get my tickets and enter next year's lottery, so it seems like I'm getting the tickets when I pay for them.

    I'm guessing that more folks got bfed for Columbus than last year. I think pretty much everyone knew there wouldn't be much of a secondary market. Unless you mean people getting bfed by getting seats with great view of the back of the benches.
    I go every year regardless of the teams and pay the fee to enter the lottery. I've been fortunate to see my team more often than not, but to me, it's a chance to get away and enjoy hockey. Booking travel, etc is enough reason for me just to have the tickets in hand when we go.

    Leave a comment:


  • Shirtless Guy
    replied
    Re: 2011 Frozen Four lottery results

    Originally posted by CLS View Post
    Not disagreeing with you, but this reasoning doesn't apply to everybody. For many long time attendees, #1 isn't an issue (actually if it were an issue, we probably wouldn't be long time attendees ). As for the "insurance", it's worth more than just the opportunity to by tickets. I don't know other's threshhold for risk-taking, but I'd be very reluctant to buy non-refundable airline tickets without the insurance. And some hotels are taking deposits and applying penalties for cancellations.

    As for the having money tied up for a year, IMO, it's more emotional that real. Yeah, I don't like the NCAA having my money a year in advance. But if the money were in the bank instead of with the NCAA, the interest I'd earn is wouldn't even buy me a beer -- probably not even a bottle of water -- at the next FF. And emotionally, for me at least, after the first year it doesn't feel as bad. I get my tickets and enter next year's lottery, so it seems like I'm getting the tickets when I pay for them.

    I'm guessing that more folks got bfed for Columbus than last year. I think pretty much everyone knew there wouldn't be much of a secondary market. Unless you mean people getting bfed by getting seats with great view of the back of the benches.
    I won't argue with you that if I was a priority 5 or higher that I would keep doing it. The issue is I'm a priority 1 even though I've attended 3 frozen fours. I don't see any benefit in spending the money upfront to get crappy seats when I know if I'm diligent I can find tickets for face around the time conference tournaments start.

    Leave a comment:


  • CLS
    replied
    Re: 2011 Frozen Four lottery results

    Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
    While I've only been to one F4, they have a similar process for the WCHA F5, and I've always bought off the street or whatever.

    It's an odds game:

    1. What are the chances your team will be there?
    2. What are the chances of 4 big-fanbase teams (that travel well) making it?
    3. What's the face value of the tickets?
    4. What are the chances of getting a ticket below (or at) face value given the previous 3 questions?

    More often than not, it's worth it to just wait and generally pay less than face value. The lottery just provides "insurance" that you will have a ticket, whether it be 4 yawn teams or the perfect storm of 4 big fanbase travelling teams that will jack the price up.

    Given the economy and rising prices, I think you'll see more acceptance on priorities, as more people will just wait, like I do.
    Not disagreeing with you, but this reasoning doesn't apply to everybody. For many long time attendees, #1 isn't an issue (actually if it were an issue, we probably wouldn't be long time attendees ). As for the "insurance", it's worth more than just the opportunity to by tickets. I don't know other's threshhold for risk-taking, but I'd be very reluctant to buy non-refundable airline tickets without the insurance. And some hotels are taking deposits and applying penalties for cancellations.

    As for the having money tied up for a year, IMO, it's more emotional that real. Yeah, I don't like the NCAA having my money a year in advance. But if the money were in the bank instead of with the NCAA, the interest I'd earn is wouldn't even buy me a beer -- probably not even a bottle of water -- at the next FF. And emotionally, for me at least, after the first year it doesn't feel as bad. I get my tickets and enter next year's lottery, so it seems like I'm getting the tickets when I pay for them.

    Originally posted by mookie1995
    wonder how many got butt f d holding full value tickets last year though? have to have left a bad taste that turned a few folks off to the process.
    I'm guessing that more folks got bfed for Columbus than last year. I think pretty much everyone knew there wouldn't be much of a secondary market. Unless you mean people getting bfed by getting seats with great view of the back of the benches.
    Last edited by CLS; 08-17-2010, 10:52 AM. Reason: spelling

    Leave a comment:


  • theprofromdover
    replied
    Re: 2011 Frozen Four lottery results

    Originally posted by acs64 View Post
    Priority 0, got two in a redline skybox, fully catered with strippers and call girlz. Plus free air and rooms at the Crowne Plaza. This lottery thing is superb.
    Working on the catering crew doesn't count.

    Leave a comment:


  • Bakunin
    replied
    Re: 2011 Frozen Four lottery results

    Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
    wondered when all those people who buy year after year to keep their points level consistent with the rest but never go would continue to buy.
    High priority = good seats, so they will probably continue buying their tickets this way. They should have no problem selling them each year if they aren't actually attending the event.

    Leave a comment:


  • MinnesotaNorthStar
    replied
    Re: 2011 Frozen Four lottery results

    Originally posted by acs64 View Post
    Priority 0, got two in a redline skybox, fully catered with strippers and call girlz. Plus free air and rooms at the Crowne Plaza. This lottery thing is superb.
    Dibs on the other one...

    Leave a comment:


  • Shirtless Guy
    replied
    Re: 2011 Frozen Four lottery results

    Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
    While I've only been to one F4, they have a similar process for the WCHA F5, and I've always bought off the street or whatever.

    It's an odds game:

    1. What are the chances your team will be there?
    2. What are the chances of 4 big-fanbase teams (that travel well) making it?
    3. What's the face value of the tickets?
    4. What are the chances of getting a ticket below (or at) face value given the previous 3 questions?

    More often than not, it's worth it to just wait and generally pay less than face value. The lottery just provides "insurance" that you will have a ticket, whether it be 4 yawn teams or the perfect storm of 4 big fanbase travelling teams that will jack the price up.

    Given the economy and rising prices, I think you'll see more acceptance on priorities, as more people will just wait, like I do.
    Normally it isn't much insurance...I had no interest in having all that money tied up in 2 tickets that I might get...now obviously alot of people had the same idea I did so my odds would have been pretty high but it just seems stupid to give the NCAA my money a year in advance for seats in the upper deck corner when I can just as easily find someone to buy better seats from at or below face...

    Leave a comment:


  • The Rube
    replied
    Re: 2011 Frozen Four lottery results

    Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
    Im not sure it is less demand, its just less people willing to pay that much money back in June to maybe get crappy seats. I learned my lesson. Just buy from someone on here in March when they figure out they can't make it, have extras, whatever. Plus doing it that way usually results in better seats.
    While I've only been to one F4, they have a similar process for the WCHA F5, and I've always bought off the street or whatever.

    It's an odds game:

    1. What are the chances your team will be there?
    2. What are the chances of 4 big-fanbase teams (that travel well) making it?
    3. What's the face value of the tickets?
    4. What are the chances of getting a ticket below (or at) face value given the previous 3 questions?

    More often than not, it's worth it to just wait and generally pay less than face value. The lottery just provides "insurance" that you will have a ticket, whether it be 4 yawn teams or the perfect storm of 4 big fanbase travelling teams that will jack the price up.

    Given the economy and rising prices, I think you'll see more acceptance on priorities, as more people will just wait, like I do.

    Leave a comment:


  • Onion Man
    replied
    Re: 2011 Frozen Four lottery results

    Originally posted by Agganis View Post
    Any chance you own a thesaurus?
    Any chance you got rejected by every quality school you applied to?

    Leave a comment:


  • Agganis
    replied
    Re: 2011 Frozen Four lottery results

    Originally posted by Onion Man View Post
    ...acceptance rates... results... acceptance rate results
    Any chance you own a thesaurus?

    Leave a comment:


  • acs64
    replied
    Re: 2011 Frozen Four lottery results

    Priority 0, got two in a redline skybox, fully catered with strippers and call girlz. Plus free air and rooms at the Crowne Plaza. This lottery thing is superb.

    Leave a comment:


  • Onion Man
    replied
    Re: 2011 Frozen Four lottery results

    Wow, with these incredibly high acceptance rates, I dont know if this thread is about Frozen Four ticket request results or about Cornell's acceptance rate results?

    Leave a comment:


  • mookie1995
    replied
    Re: 2011 Frozen Four lottery results

    Originally posted by Bakunin View Post
    If you are buying from someone with high priority, this is definitely true - as you may be sitting in the lower bowl (no chance in hell of doing that if you're relatively new to the process going through the lottery).
    the first year i won was buffalo. i was in the last row in the top level behind the net. i then bought tickets off winners here who didn't want to go. inside the blue line, lower bowl, 15 rows back in milwaukee. in zone face off circle, lower bowl, 12 rows back in DC.

    it was always easy to buy great seats at face value here (thanks!).

    wonder how many got butt f d holding full value tickets last year though? have to have left a bad taste that turned a few folks off to the process.

    wondered when all those people who buy year after year to keep their points level consistent with the rest but never go would continue to buy.

    (of course i still think they f d it up and sent out incorrect letters....EVERYBODY WON!!! )

    Leave a comment:


  • sju56321
    replied
    Re: 2011 Frozen Four lottery results

    Priority 3 and was awarded 3 tickets I requested. Maybe the denial letters come out later than the acceptance letters?

    Leave a comment:

Working...
X