• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HockeyJM1902
    replied
    Re: Merrimack Offseason thread - preseason rank 10th again? I think not

irish,

i will say that you make a valid point with the junior hockey portion of this. I didn't think back to that point for most of these skaters. I do think (and you also mentioned it a little) that this is far beyond what most of these guys are used to dealing with though. Especially for a team that couldn't field 500 fans against BC at home a few years ago. Now to have a packed house of both diehard and casual hockey fans is very different. It should be interesting to watch though. I'm very curious to see how dacosta does now that the league has a year of film to watch on him too. If he truly bulked up as people are saying he's been doing he will turn into a much more dynamic player as well...more ovechkiness (not actually comparing them in ability) as opposed to a crosby/kovalchuk type

Leave a comment:

• irishfan85
    replied

Originally posted by HockeyJM1902 View Post
    i would have to disagree with that.

The only people that had to live up to expectations recently that i can recall were dacosta (after the army game) and probably cannata back in the cage. Other than that I guess you can make a case for Chris Barton on defense. But realistically, Merrimack burst on the scene last year and part of that surge was because they boys probably enjoyed to be the "party-spoilers" of the league. But now they are expected to win and compete on the ice with all teams. I'm not saying they can't do it because i truly believe in the team, but i do feel that it's going to be a much tougher road than it was last year. The boys are now expected to win and with expectations come pressure to succeed and some people aren't made for that. (ryan leaf...anyone???)
    I think he was referring to juniors, preps, school puck. I'm not saying it is on the same level at all, but when you go to CM or BC High (Heffernan, Cannata, Marotta, Collins) your teams are expected to do very well.

Also, some of the boys played on successful junior and prep teams. You also cannot underestimate the level of pressure some kids have from their families while growing up. Hockey is an expensive sport. I could go into all the details about how much my parents paid for equipment, select team and town team fees, etc.

Leave a comment:

• HockeyJM1902
    replied

i would have to disagree with that.

The only people that had to live up to expectations recently that i can recall were dacosta (after the army game) and probably cannata back in the cage. Other than that I guess you can make a case for Chris Barton on defense. But realistically, Merrimack burst on the scene last year and part of that surge was because they boys probably enjoyed to be the "party-spoilers" of the league. But now they are expected to win and compete on the ice with all teams. I'm not saying they can't do it because i truly believe in the team, but i do feel that it's going to be a much tougher road than it was last year. The boys are now expected to win and with expectations come pressure to succeed and some people aren't made for that. (ryan leaf...anyone???)

Leave a comment:

• icewarrior
    replied

Merrimack as a "Team" may have never really had to deal with "expectation" but most of the "Players" on the current roster have dealt with plenty of "expectation". I think you will see a very determined bunch hit the ice this season.

Originally posted by HockeyJM1902 View Post
    i wish i was as optomistic about beating BC in their own barn on the night they raise the banner. It would be great to see it, but we need to take it one game at a time.

Merrimack has never really had to deal with "expectation" and I think this year is going to be interesting to watch. I hope nothing but the best comes from all the hard work these guys have put in though.

Leave a comment:

• sterlippo1
    replied

Originally posted by WarriorDJ View Post
    Big props to Boblav1 for posting this link in the UML thread, but it looks like MC will have it's first NESN game since February 2005 in January 2011:

http://insidecollegehockey.com/1Sche...hedules_tv.htm
    cool, good for you guys!

Leave a comment:

• WarriorDJ
    replied

Big props to Boblav1 for posting this link in the UML thread, but it looks like MC will have it's first NESN game since February 2005 in January 2011:

http://insidecollegehockey.com/1Sche...hedules_tv.htm

Leave a comment:

• sterlippo1
    replied

Originally posted by jcarter7669 View Post
    Last season they had a ton of freshman, that's why they weren't unbeatable in the beginning of the year... this year I don't think it really matters whether its beginning or the end of the year.
    I get what you're saying but i agree with WarriorDJ on this.......i dont expect them to be in March form in October or November, it's just not the plan

Leave a comment:

• jcarter7669
    replied

Originally posted by WarriorDJ View Post
    One key factor that has not been discussed: Merrimack plays BC three times before December this season. If the Eagles' season began anything like their prior season, they will not be unbeatable out of the gate.

Given the choice, I would rather face BC early in the season vs late in the season when they have had a chance to gel and develop line chemistry...
    Last season they had a ton of freshman, that's why they weren't unbeatable in the beginning of the year... this year I don't think it really matters whether its beginning or the end of the year.

Leave a comment:

• WarriorDJ
    replied

One key factor that has not been discussed: Merrimack plays BC three times before December this season. If the Eagles' season began anything like their prior season, they will not be unbeatable out of the gate.

Given the choice, I would rather face BC early in the season vs late in the season when they have had a chance to gel and develop line chemistry...

Leave a comment:

• HockeyJM1902
    replied

i wish i was as optomistic about beating BC in their own barn on the night they raise the banner. It would be great to see it, but we need to take it one game at a time.

Merrimack has never really had to deal with "expectation" and I think this year is going to be interesting to watch. I hope nothing but the best comes from all the hard work these guys have put in though.

Leave a comment:

• Salvo1017
    replied

Just read on the BC thread that BC will be raising their national title banner at the 10/29 game against Merrimack.

They're gonna be amped for sure but wouldn't that just be an amazing win for the warriors? And then to go back to our own barn the next day?

Leave a comment:

• Hokydad
    replied

Originally posted by ChiefWahoo View Post
    Although they were still a member of the ECAC East Merrimack was a D1 Independent for the five seasons before joining HEA.
    agreed but their record included many games vs D2 opponents... Its kind of hard to say they were D 1 independent when in fact they played and were a member of ECAC East, D2

They were considered D 1 independant when they played D 1 teams.

Leave a comment:

• ChiefWahoo
    replied

Originally posted by Hokydad View Post
    The success was in D 2. They joined Hockey East the following year and in over 22 seasons, including last year, have never had a winning season.

I think in fairness though, that if anyone can do it, the current coach and his current team can. Lets hope
    Although they were still a member of the ECAC East Merrimack was a D1 Independent for the five seasons before joining HEA.

Leave a comment:

• Salvo1017
    replied

of course I'm stuck in class in Boston until 4:25 on Monday! I'm gonna need a full report of the Blue vs Gold game from whoever's going!

Leave a comment:

• WarriorDJ
    replied

Originally posted by Salvo1017 View Post
    Does anyone have any word on whether or not Stephane succeeded in his off season goal of bulking up?
    During the offseason, when Stephane was out west at the Ducks rookie camp I read on the HFBoards that he registered as one of the three strongest rookies they had in camp...you can take that for what it's worth since he is a few years older as a college player vs their draft picks in their late teens.

I think we will have a better idea on Oct 4 when we see him back on the sheet in the scrimmage.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X