Re: Merrimack Offseason thread - preseason rank 10th again? I think not

Originally posted by Hokydad View Post
    Here is where MC's freshmen came from
    BCHL 3
    NAHL 1
    EJHL 1
    AJHL 1
    SJHL 1

BCHL is not on par with USHL, not even close.
    6 posts later....

BCHL is a very good league, far superior to NAHL and EJHL and the otehr 2 you mention. It is not on par with USHL but pretty darn close.

I'm soooo confused ( I promise to learn the multi-post/multi-quote functionality in my spare time)

Leave a comment:

• Nick Papagiorgio
    replied

Originally posted by college hockey fan View Post
    he has been successfull thus far at each level.
    What terrible logic. Every kid in D1 has been successful in their careers at each level up to this point. If they stunk at a level lower than D1, do you think the coach would give them a scholarship or even let them walk on to play at an even more difficult level of play? No. Do all D1 players mature into studs as you say? Nope.

I'm not saying he will or will not be any good. All I'm saying is that supporting your opinion with "he's been success thus far at each level" is like telling us the sun came up this morning.

Leave a comment:

• WDR357
    replied

Alhough I agree with much of what hoky says, the AJHL has given the Mack some pretty good players the last few years in Barton, Stollery and Todd. Obviously, successful recruiting doesn't require getting who the studs are in the toughest league but who might be the studs at the college level a few years later. Throw in Brodhag from the NAHL which is also where DaCosta was when MC first recruited him. Who really cares where the player comes from as long as they work out for that school? Not everyone can be BC or BU and just pick and choose.

I can't see NU or UML looking like the better team on paper over MC but there is enough talent on those teams that a few injuries in the wrong places for MC and they'll be looking up at NU or UML. I still think they have a fair shot at home ice particularly if they can sweep BU/BC at home this year.

Leave a comment:

• college hockey fan
    replied

also, dont get carried away with collins. he is ok but would not be close to being considered a stud. Speed will be an issue
    another erroneous post here. collins has all the ability and talent to mature into a stud. natural goal scoring ability. if you paid any attention and tried to have a clue about what you are talking about then you know he has been successfull thus far at each level.

Leave a comment:

• Ryecheers
    replied

You might note that NU has Braden Pimm, who was Collins' centerman on the Vipers for the past two years. They were very productive regardless of who was on their right side. It's too bad that NU or MC could not have landed both of them. Each school should send Albie a thank you note.

BTW When did NU land Angelini? I hadn't heard about that yet.
    Last edited by Ryecheers; 09-28-2010, 07:52 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Hokydad
    replied

Originally posted by ChiefWahoo View Post
    Dan Kolomatis
    Last time I checked, a list from Heisenberg for 2010 and LAST year was what we were talking about. Last year, not next year. They landed Dan Kolomatis a week or so ago for 2011.

Very good pick up.

For the same recruiting year, NU has 8, including 4 from natl team and Lowell has 6 players from the USHL.
    Last edited by Hokydad; 09-28-2010, 07:20 PM.

Leave a comment:

• ChiefWahoo
    replied

The point is MC tried very, very hard last year in USHL and had zero takers.

Dan Kolomatis

Leave a comment:

• Patronick
    replied

The real diamonds in the rough come from the SIJHL. *cough*CarterHutton*cough*

Leave a comment:

• Hokydad
    replied

Originally posted by irishfan85 View Post
    Precisely. I am not out to say Merrimack is out-recruiting anyone, but you suggested NU is out-recruiting Merrimack simply because they have more USHL kids. I'd rather have a productive scorer from BCHL who was on championship teams than some kid from USHL who might or might not have been that productive in USHL.
    Many top scorers dont pan out in Hockey East. Carey led USHL in scoring and has not lit it up yet in college.

I agree a stud from BCHL is better than an avg player from USHL. BCHL is loaded with D 1 players, Vernon and Pentictons entire teams go D 1 if they want. Most have a handfull of kids who could play USHL and be top line kids. The league though is not as good and does not have the depth.

The point is MC tried very, very hard last year in USHL and had zero takers.

Leave a comment:

• irishfan85
    replied

BCHL is a very good league, far superior to NAHL and EJHL and the otehr 2 you mention. It is not on par with USHL but pretty darn close. Why would a kid from Vancouver even consider moving to Waterloo when he could stay at home? He wouldnt. Only thing that hurts BCHL is WHL and the Major Junior mindset.

Very good league. Simply said that the teams susch as BU/BC who tend to grab most of their recruits(if they get them) from US NAtl or USHL have had their most success with them. As has UNH, Lowell and the other Hockey East schools who ahve been top 4 in the past. MC tried very hard to get kids from USHL but zero bit last year.
    Precisely. I am not out to say Merrimack is out-recruiting anyone, but you suggested NU is out-recruiting Merrimack simply because they have more USHL kids. I'd rather have a productive scorer from BCHL who was on championship teams than some kid from USHL who might or might not have been that productive in USHL.

Leave a comment:

• Hokydad
    replied

Originally posted by irishfan85 View Post
    HockeyDad, I know you are in love with the USHL, but the BCHL is not a bad league. It is the best in Canada right now and the AJHL has produced a ton of top talent lately. Even the SJHL, which is an inferior junior league in Canada provided a lot of the top players on the last good Providence team. Rask, Ballard, Schaeffer (I could name a few more). The SJHL also produced three of Merrimack's top players in Division I/Hockey East in Stringer, Scoville and Porter. The OPJHL has dropped off in the talent it has produced, but at one time guys like Cammalleri, Aquino, Rosa, Haydar, etc came out of that league.

The NAHL is a weak league, but you continue to trump the fact that you are somewhat knowledgeable with these absurd over the top "facts" you come up with.

Also, you can have all the NHL Draft Picks you want. Some guys drafted were just drafted because they were 6-5 and 225 at age 17. John Doherty comes to mind as a second round pick of the Maple Leafs who played for UNH and Quinnipiac and is now out of hockey.

I'd rather have the skilled, but smaller and slower guys that stay all four years than the big bruisers that might be good in the AHL.
    BCHL is a very good league, far superior to NAHL and EJHL and the otehr 2 you mention. It is not on par with USHL but pretty darn close. Why would a kid from Vancouver even consider moving to Waterloo when he could stay at home? He wouldnt. Only thing that hurts BCHL is WHL and the Major Junior mindset.

Very good league. Simply said that the teams susch as BU/BC who tend to grab most of their recruits(if they get them) from US NAtl or USHL have had their most success with them. As has UNH, Lowell and the other Hockey East schools who ahve been top 4 in the past. MC tried very hard to get kids from USHL but zero bit last year.

Leave a comment:

• irishfan85
    replied

Opinions vary there as well

they still lost 10-1 goal games last year and were brutal on the road, sign of a good team and teams that can handle pressure.

Here is where MC's freshmen came from
    BCHL 3
    NAHL 1
    EJHL 1
    AJHL 1
    SJHL 1

BCHL is not on par with USHL, not even close.
    NAHL is a joke and studs from that league become 3rd or 4th liners when pulled up to USHL
    EJHL is ok but not close to BCHL
    AJ(canadian not the one in mass) and SJ are terrible leagues.

For example, Northeastern and Lowell have 6 each coming from USHL alone.

You might think they are great recruits but 20 year olds playing in the AJHL or SJHL were there for a reason and any success they had has to be discounted when playing vs 16-18 year olds in a C league. Merrimack speant a tremendous amnount of time in the USHL scouting etc and did not get one impact player out of there.

Say what you want but the teams who "could never finish aghead of MC" are getting it done on the recruiting side. Albie, who left MC to be an asst at NU is getting the job done and killed MC in recruiting last season. They just landed the kid Angelini from the Steel, he is 6'4" and can fly, great F.

I do not see, outside getting lucky with DeCosta, where they are getting better kids now than in the past. Every team outside UMA has more NHL draft picks, even PC has more on their roster.

NU has 5 draft picks and that does not count Oleksiak who could be a first rounder this year as he is a December 92.
    HockeyDad, I know you are in love with the USHL, but the BCHL is not a bad league. It is the best in Canada right now and the AJHL has produced a ton of top talent lately. Even the SJHL, which is an inferior junior league in Canada provided a lot of the top players on the last good Providence team. Rask, Ballard, Schaeffer (I could name a few more). The SJHL also produced three of Merrimack's top players in Division I/Hockey East in Stringer, Scoville and Porter. The OPJHL has dropped off in the talent it has produced, but at one time guys like Cammalleri, Aquino, Rosa, Haydar, etc came out of that league.

The NAHL is a weak league, but you continue to trump the fact that you are somewhat knowledgeable with these absurd over the top "facts" you come up with.

Also, you can have all the NHL Draft Picks you want. Some guys drafted were just drafted because they were 6-5 and 225 at age 17. John Doherty comes to mind as a second round pick of the Maple Leafs who played for UNH and Quinnipiac and is now out of hockey.

I'd rather have the skilled, but smaller and slower guys that stay all four years than the big bruisers that might be good in the AHL.
    Last edited by irishfan85; 09-28-2010, 02:21 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Slasher7
    replied

Originally posted by Salvo1017 View Post
    Conference games against BC and BU were laughable as they would often beat us with scores in the realm of 7-1. This doesn't happen anymore
    Didn't BC beat Merrimack College like 7 or 8-0 in a game last year???

Leave a comment:

• Hokydad
    replied

Originally posted by Salvo1017 View Post
    It's Da Costa

And I still think the fact that this team can skate with anyone is a good example as to how far they've come. As little as 3 years ago this team would be constantly getting blown out...in embarrassing losses.

To go into Wisconsin's arena and nearly beat them? That is something that just did not even come close to happening in years past...it would be unthinkable. Conference games against BC and BU were laughable as they would often beat us with scores in the realm of 7-1. This doesn't happen anymore and every Merrimack coach, player, and fan has reason to believe that they are capable of beating any opponent on any given night.
    Truie, its no longer 7-1 but was 7-0 vs BC last year.

Leave a comment:

• Hokydad
    replied

They lost 19 games last year, 21 the year before and 18(AKA Less than 19) the year before that.

They won 43% of their games last year.

They had losses last year of 5-2, 5-1, 4-1, 5-1(To NU who they are outrecruiting), 7-0 to BC, 5-1....

That is 6 games by at least 3 goals,

The previous year the only stinker was a 6-1 loss to U Mass 6-1 in lst game iof year after they were out of playoffs. Only 2 other games with losses of over 2 goals, 1 being to BC and not 7-0...

I love the passion and it is fun to have a blindly supportive fan base but......

They will be fighting for the playoffs down the stretch and will be so with a few of the etams you claim they could, "never finish behind"

You must not remember the days when Serino took them to Mich State, when they were 33-5 and tied them at their rink(Not lost like WI last year and than got spanked 5-1 next night by Ferris State . Which means they went 0-2 in the tournament) or when they beat Miami of Ohio or back to back road wins vs Princeton. Part of the issue has been the brutal out of conference schedule MC has had over the past 4 or 5 years. Even last year the record was padded with wins over Holy Cross, Army and CT.

This year they play CT, Niagra and Army again. 20% Of last years wins came from those 3 teams... This year they added 2 with Alabama, who no longer has a league and was 12-18.

CT was 7-27 in Atlantic and Army was 11-18 , Niagra was 12 and 20, HC 12-19 . This in the worst league in the country and so on
    Last edited by Hokydad; 09-28-2010, 02:05 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X