Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Merrimack Offseason thread - preseason rank 10th again? I think not

Originally posted by GoNU5 View Post
    I'll guess the coaches poll will put them at 6th. I'll bet USCHO will put them at 5th, since they're going to overcompensate for ranking them 10th last year.
    Dave "genius" Hendrickson will likely put MC near the top since he'll probably put Boston College at # 8 again....

Comment

Originally posted by Slasher7 View Post
      Dave "genius" Hendrickson will likely put MC near the top since he'll probably put Boston College at # 8 again....
      Hey, worked out for you last year. I'm hoping he picks UVM 8th this year, but alas pretty sure it's going to be UML.
      Originally posted by Hokydad
      Maine will be better this year relative to rankings than BC will be this year

Comment

Someone didn't like the first post so here is attempt #2:

7th, with the Merrimack Women's team finishing 6th.
        "The man who smiles when something has gone wrong just thought of someone to blame it on." Robert Bloch
        Discontinued Program:http://s.ecrater.com/stores/70443/48...70e_70443n.jpg
        The goofs might suck, but Happy swallows.
        Brooks told me he added something to the effect that, “if you want to go into business, go to Harvard; if you want to be a hockey player, go to North Dakota...”

Comment

Originally posted by jcarter7669 View Post
          Hey, worked out for you last year. I'm hoping he picks UVM 8th this year, but alas pretty sure it's going to be UML.
          I think the real preseason poll (the Hockey East coaches poll) will have MC around 6. After BC and maybe Maine, 3-6 are kind of a toss up. BU and UNH will be ranked ahead of MC due to reputation, so that leaves MC and UVM to fight it out for fifth.

Comment

Biggest HE question for me going into the season is the Maine/UNH goaltending situations.

We all know what Maine brings back. I realize UNH loses Butler, but they still have a pretty good roster coming back.

No idea what I predicted months ago, but I think Maine/UNH will be at 2/3 provided the goaltending holds up.

I'm hesitant to pick MC higher than 6th, but I do think they could finish as high as 4th.

Comment

i have the mack at 4th. they will go as far as da costa and barton can take them offensively and cannata needs to step up. they are solid on D, i like the mack a lot this year.
              Arenas Attended
              Matthews Arena
              Agganis Arena
              Tsongas Arena
              Lawler Arena
              Schneider Arena
              Mullins Center
              TD Banknorth Garden
              Conte Forum
              Whittemore Center
              Gutterson Fieldhouse
              Alfond Arena
              Compton Family Ice Arena

Comment

I am looking forward to seeing a number of storylines play out in 2010-2011:

- Joe Cannata as a full time starter
                - Stephane Da Costa adding strength after a full season in Hockey East
                - Chris Barton capping off a great 4 year career at MC
                - Joe Cucci coming back for another season anchoring a second scoring line
                - An increased workload for players like John Heffernan, Jeff Velleca and Francois Ouimet
                - A solid freshman class led offensively by Mike Collins and defensively by Brendan Ellis

Thoughts?
                "Get used to this drill, we'll be doing it a lot."
                "Why?"
                "Because the legs feed the wolf, gentlemen..."

Comment

Merrimack is in a different position this year, they have to deal with expectation, something the program hasn't dealt with in the past. We'll have to see how they respond.

Ellis is going to be a top dman and will impress early. This could be the last year for Cannata, DaCosta, and Bigos - so they will need to bring it this year.

4 of the first 5 HE games are on the road....... makes the start even more important.

Comment

I agree and mentioned in the HE thread that MC will not sneak up on anyone this year and I don't see how they are better than BC, Maine, BU, UNH, UVM, and NU who I think will all finish ahead of them in that order.

Yeah, they have an excellent player and some very good players, but so do these other teams. The other teams also have more depth.

Hanging a forward at the opposing blue line is probably not going to work this year.

The thing besides DeCosta that Mack has going for it is playing in a depressing rink where the opponent just wants to get out because it reminds them of their old youth hockey arenas again.....

Comment

Originally posted by jackieg View Post
                      Ellis is going to be a top dman and will impress early. This could be the last year for Cannata, DaCosta, and Bigos - so they will need to bring it this year.
                      Agree in full about Ellis, all reports have been very positive.

Regarding Cannata, if you look at it from Vancouver's perspective (they own his draft rights) they have Luongo locked up long term at the NHL level and just resigned Cory Schnieder at the AHL level. My guess is they would rather keep Cannata in the NCAAs, but we'll see.
                      "Why?"

Comment

Originally posted by snwbrdr View Post
                        I agree and mentioned in the HE thread that MC will not sneak up on anyone this year and I don't see how they are better than BC, Maine, BU, UNH, UVM, and NU who I think will all finish ahead of them in that order.

Yeah, they have an excellent player and some very good players, but so do these other teams. The other teams also have more depth.

Hanging a forward at the opposing blue line is probably not going to work this year.

The thing besides DeCosta that Mack has going for it is playing in a depressing rink where the opponent just wants to get out because it reminds them of their old youth hockey arenas again.....
                        I'd rather see a game at Lawler than some crazy arena that feels more like a professional rink than a college barn...that's not what college hockey is about. Oh and perhaps you need some reminding of which arena in all of college hockey saw the best home record....was it Agganis? No...perhaps the Kohl Center...nope not that either.....it was the "depressing rink"....Lawler.

But anyways, Lawler is getting some nice renovations this year...student benches at the far side plus seats for the rest of the arena...it will certainly be a welcomed improvement but still keep the old-time hockey feel.
                        Before there was a band there was "the drum guy"

@SalvucciM

Comment

Originally posted by WarriorDJ View Post
                          Agree in full about Ellis, all reports have been very positive.

Regarding Cannata, if you look at it from Vancouver's perspective (they own his draft rights) they have Luongo locked up long term at the NHL level and just resigned Cory Schnieder at the AHL level. My guess is they would rather keep Cannata in the NCAAs, but we'll see.
                          Absolutely, Luongo and then Schnieder.....there's absolutely no reason right now to not keep Cannata in Hockey East
                          Before there was a band there was "the drum guy"

@SalvucciM

Comment

Originally posted by Salvo1017 View Post
                            I'd rather see a game at Lawler than some crazy arena that feels more like a professional rink than a college barn...that's not what college hockey is about. Oh and perhaps you need some reminding of which arena in all of college hockey saw the best home record....was it Agganis? No...perhaps the Kohl Center...nope not that either.....it was the "depressing rink"....Lawler.

But anyways, Lawler is getting some nice renovations this year...student benches at the far side plus seats for the rest of the arena...it will certainly be a welcomed improvement but still keep the old-time hockey feel.
                            I think you're confusing "college barn" and "MDC rink." Matthews is an old college barn. RPI's rink is a old college barn, as is Lynah, the Yale Whale, and Bright. Merrimack, UConn and Bentley don't play in college barns, they play in semi-glorified MDC rinks.

BTW, while Merrimack's 12-3-1 home record was impressive, BC went 14-2 at home, so your claim is incorrect.
                            BC Interruption: SB Nation's Boston College Eagles Community
                            -
                            Boston College Class of 2010

Comment

Originally posted by BCWH Superfan joe View Post
                              I think you're confusing "college barn" and "MDC rink."
                              Meh, you can call the rink what you want, but the last two BC championship teams are 1-1 at the Lawler, goals scored: Merrimack 7-BC 7
                              "Why?"

Comment

And BC has two national championships. Not sure what your point is there.

Comment

Working...
                                X