Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Merrimack Offseason thread - preseason rank 10th again? I think not

Originally posted by irishfan85 View Post
    Precisely. I am not out to say Merrimack is out-recruiting anyone, but you suggested NU is out-recruiting Merrimack simply because they have more USHL kids. I'd rather have a productive scorer from BCHL who was on championship teams than some kid from USHL who might or might not have been that productive in USHL.
    Many top scorers dont pan out in Hockey East. Carey led USHL in scoring and has not lit it up yet in college.

I agree a stud from BCHL is better than an avg player from USHL. BCHL is loaded with D 1 players, Vernon and Pentictons entire teams go D 1 if they want. Most have a handfull of kids who could play USHL and be top line kids. The league though is not as good and does not have the depth.

The point is MC tried very, very hard last year in USHL and had zero takers.

Comment

The real diamonds in the rough come from the SIJHL. *cough*CarterHutton*cough*
      Lowell Forever
      Forever Lowell

Comment

Originally posted by Hokydad View Post
        The point is MC tried very, very hard last year in USHL and had zero takers.

Dan Kolomatis

Comment

Originally posted by ChiefWahoo View Post
          Dan Kolomatis
          Last time I checked, a list from Heisenberg for 2010 and LAST year was what we were talking about. Last year, not next year. They landed Dan Kolomatis a week or so ago for 2011.

Very good pick up.

For the same recruiting year, NU has 8, including 4 from natl team and Lowell has 6 players from the USHL.
          Last edited by Hokydad; 09-28-2010, 07:20 PM.

Comment

You might note that NU has Braden Pimm, who was Collins' centerman on the Vipers for the past two years. They were very productive regardless of who was on their right side. It's too bad that NU or MC could not have landed both of them. Each school should send Albie a thank you note.

BTW When did NU land Angelini? I hadn't heard about that yet.
            Last edited by Ryecheers; 09-28-2010, 07:52 PM.

Comment

also, dont get carried away with collins. he is ok but would not be close to being considered a stud. Speed will be an issue
              another erroneous post here. collins has all the ability and talent to mature into a stud. natural goal scoring ability. if you paid any attention and tried to have a clue about what you are talking about then you know he has been successfull thus far at each level.

Comment

Alhough I agree with much of what hoky says, the AJHL has given the Mack some pretty good players the last few years in Barton, Stollery and Todd. Obviously, successful recruiting doesn't require getting who the studs are in the toughest league but who might be the studs at the college level a few years later. Throw in Brodhag from the NAHL which is also where DaCosta was when MC first recruited him. Who really cares where the player comes from as long as they work out for that school? Not everyone can be BC or BU and just pick and choose.

I can't see NU or UML looking like the better team on paper over MC but there is enough talent on those teams that a few injuries in the wrong places for MC and they'll be looking up at NU or UML. I still think they have a fair shot at home ice particularly if they can sweep BU/BC at home this year.

Comment

Originally posted by college hockey fan View Post
                  he has been successfull thus far at each level.
                  What terrible logic. Every kid in D1 has been successful in their careers at each level up to this point. If they stunk at a level lower than D1, do you think the coach would give them a scholarship or even let them walk on to play at an even more difficult level of play? No. Do all D1 players mature into studs as you say? Nope.

I'm not saying he will or will not be any good. All I'm saying is that supporting your opinion with "he's been success thus far at each level" is like telling us the sun came up this morning.
                  Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                  The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Here is where MC's freshmen came from
                    BCHL 3
                    NAHL 1
                    EJHL 1
                    AJHL 1
                    SJHL 1

BCHL is not on par with USHL, not even close.
                    6 posts later....

BCHL is a very good league, far superior to NAHL and EJHL and the otehr 2 you mention. It is not on par with USHL but pretty darn close.

I'm soooo confused ( I promise to learn the multi-post/multi-quote functionality in my spare time)
                    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

Originally posted by RENCEB View Post
                      6 posts later....

BCHL is a very good league, far superior to NAHL and EJHL and the otehr 2 you mention. It is not on par with USHL but pretty darn close.

I'm soooo confused ( I promise to learn the multi-post/multi-quote functionality in my spare time)
                      Clearly the coaches of the top D! programs agree with you. The recruits from that league tend to adjust to play the D1 level faster than other canadian league recruits, though not quite as quickly as the better players from the USHL.
                      This season may not see quite as many of the BCJHL leading scorers coming to US colleges.There seem to be more veterans of the WHL who have come into the league this year and who have burned their NCAA eligibility.

Comment

Media day today!
                        Before there was a band there was "the drum guy"

@SalvucciM

Comment

warriorrinkrat.com has just listed their prediction that MC will finish 5th in the league...I'm not sure if i see it that high. I'd personally put them @ 6th. I think it'll be a dog fight between MC and UVM for that #5 spot
                          Last edited by HockeyJM1902; 09-29-2010, 12:09 PM.
                          "Great moments are born from great oppurtunities.” - Herb Brooks

"MATTEAU!!! MATTEAU!!! MATTEAU!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyJM1902 View Post
                            warriorrinkrat.com has just listed their prediction that MC will finish 5th in the league...I'm not sure if i see it that high. I'd personally put them @ 5th. I think it'll be a dog fight between MC and UVM for that #5 spot
                            Here is the result of the Coaches Poll from Hockey East Media Day:

2010 HOCKEY EAST MEN'S PRESEASON COACHES POLL
                            Team (1st Place Votes) Pts.
                            1. Boston College (9) 90
                            2. Maine (1) 80
                            3. New Hampshire 76
                            4. Boston University 59
                            5. Northeastern 54
                            6. Vermont 53
                            7. Merrimack 48
                            8. UMass Lowell 33
                            9. Massachusetts 26
                            10. Providence 21

I can't say as I am shocked at Merrimack's spot in this poll, for as much promise as the team showed last season: we still need to prove we can beat the old guard (BU, BC, UNH Maine).
                            "Get used to this drill, we'll be doing it a lot."
                            "Why?"
                            "Because the legs feed the wolf, gentlemen..."

Comment

Am I "shocked"? no...but NU above us..really? And NU above Vermont?? Where is that coming from, I'm not saying they're a bad team but on paper they just seem behind both UVM and MC
                              Before there was a band there was "the drum guy"

@SalvucciM

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
                                What terrible logic. Every kid in D1 has been successful in their careers at each level up to this point. If they stunk at a level lower than D1, do you think the coach would give them a scholarship or even let them walk on to play at an even more difficult level of play? No. Do all D1 players mature into studs as you say? Nope.

I'm not saying he will or will not be any good. All I'm saying is that supporting your opinion with "he's been success thus far at each level" is like telling us the sun came up this morning.
                                thank u capt obvious. i was not even talking to you. what i was refering to was the post that infered that he was no big deal which i greatly disagree no need for you to jump all over me
                                Last edited by college hockey fan; 09-29-2010, 07:53 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X