• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Salvo1017
    replied
    Re: Merrimack Offseason thread - preseason rank 10th again? I think not

Originally posted by FiveHole12 View Post
    I rarely see this player's name mentioned in any MC threads, but the one frosh last season that impressed me as much as any was Brodhag. That kid's a player.
    Brandon is a hell of a player, I look forward to seeing him develop as well.

Leave a comment:

• FiveHole12
    replied

Originally posted by Salvo1017 View Post
    But let's get back to Mack Hockey. I'm getting excited to see Collins play...combination of him, Barton and Da Costa is going be colorful to say the least. Anyone know when the annual "Blue vs Gold" game is scheduled..(if it's scheduled yet)?
    I rarely see this player's name mentioned in any MC threads, but the one frosh last season that impressed me as much as any was Brodhag. That kid's a player.

Leave a comment:

• FiveHole12
    replied

Originally posted by Hokydad View Post
    It is a long story. Dennehy played for York, was Cahoon's asst for years. Cahoon is very close obviously with Parker, on and on. Hockey East is the ultimate good old boys coaching network. There is a reason why MD got the job in the firts place and why the HC's of several schools backed off on the "demand a new rink or else" talk.

MC has always been disfunctional in how they do things, even MD's hiring had a huge splitting result on alumni. They hired the coach before the AD, which is unheard of. By hiring MD over 3 or 4 ex MC players, half the alum, incluidng the two who could have built a new rink walked and have never come back.

It always has been a soap opera over there. TO MD's credit he stays above it and only focusses on what he can control
    Lots of speculation in this post. Why not just stick to the facts?

Here's a fact... Mark Dennehy played at BC from 1987-1991. He never played for Jerry York at BC.

Leave a comment:

• Carmine Scarpaglia
    replied

Let's give the Merrimack administration a pat on the back for at least getting one thing right... kicking Mike Machnik to the curb.

Leave a comment:

• irishfan85
    replied

Originally posted by sterlippo1 View Post
    i am not sure i see where BU and BC fans made outlandish comments but as an outsider i agree that your coach is doing a great job and living in the Merrimack Valley a few minutes down the street from MC i have followed the program for most of the 10 years i've lived here and i believe this is the highest point the program has been and it seems to also be pointing in the right direction . You are building a foundation for a continued difficult climb up the HE ladder
    I didn't mean they have made outlandish statements here, but in general, every fan base has at least a few obnoxious folks. My point was that BC and BU fans can make absurd comments because they have something to back that up with and less people are going to laugh. MC has far less to back statements up with. We won a D2 NC and made one D1 Tourney advancing past the first round and has hosted one HE play-off series and advanced to the Garden just once.

Leave a comment:

• John_Fuller
    replied

In my mind, on paper, they are a 5th or 6th place team. Other than BC and Maine who are my #1/#2 to start, there are questions for the rest of the league right down to the bottom. It's going to be another weak year in general for the league as a whole.

If they can complete two things this year, they will get home ice.

a. Stay out of the box
    b. Win more on the road

Sure, they have the offense to do some damage but leading the league in PIM at 618 overall and 433 min in the league has to improve if they are to take the next step. Spending an average of 16 minutes of a game in the box is far too much. Merrimack played a lot better on the road last year, but still came away empty more times than naught.

Cannata is the final piece of the puzzle. He should (in my mind) get the chance to be the workhorse and bona-fide #1 some say he can be. IMHO, I can't say that I'm sold on him yet. However, I rather be in that position than the River Hawks in net (which scares the *bleep* out of me) and is the main reason for the very low and even "wait until 2011-12" expectation at my end of Rte. 133.

I'm very interered in Merrimack's season as I think UMA let one of the best young coaches in the country too soon. Dennehy has done a superb job in getting the talent back to a competative level and, in some ways, winning. Merrimack will never have a following or status like BC/BU, however, they are rapidly becoming a decent team.

Leave a comment:

• sterlippo1
    replied

Originally posted by irishfan85 View Post
    Long time Merrimack fan here, been a blue line club member since it was called the Warrior Club, and it was in the gym and in the racquet ball court.

I have never been a BC fan and dislike a lot of the BC fans, but I'm so sick of sitting around here and watching some of the Merrimack fans making these absurd comments.

Merrimack is a small catholic college founded only a little over a half century ago. We do not have a big alumni base and it is hard to raise funds. We play in a decent rink (better than MDC, but certainly nothing great). It is great to see some of the best teams in college hockey come in each year, but please, go to Alfond, Whittemore, Gutterson, Matthews when they have a good year. Those are intimidating places to play. Last year was the first year in a while that there were good crowds for about 4-5 games and there was a good amount of MC fans. Until last year, most of the times, UNH and Maine fans outnumbered the MC fans 5-1 at our home games.

Coach D is doing a great job. Let's be happy that we have a better team and continue to support them without making all sorts of outlandish comments because guess what, it's laughable. BC and BU fans can make outlandish comments because they have national championships to back up their comments with.
    i am not sure i see where BU and BC fans made outlandish comments but as an outsider i agree that your coach is doing a great job and living in the Merrimack Valley a few minutes down the street from MC i have followed the program for most of the 10 years i've lived here and i believe this is the highest point the program has been and it seems to also be pointing in the right direction . You are building a foundation for a continued difficult climb up the HE ladder

Leave a comment:

• irishfan85
    replied

Long time Merrimack fan here, been a blue line club member since it was called the Warrior Club, and it was in the gym and in the racquet ball court.

I have never been a BC fan and dislike a lot of the BC fans, but I'm so sick of sitting around here and watching some of the Merrimack fans making these absurd comments.

Merrimack is a small catholic college founded only a little over a half century ago. We do not have a big alumni base and it is hard to raise funds. We play in a decent rink (better than MDC, but certainly nothing great). It is great to see some of the best teams in college hockey come in each year, but please, go to Alfond, Whittemore, Gutterson, Matthews when they have a good year. Those are intimidating places to play. Last year was the first year in a while that there were good crowds for about 4-5 games and there was a good amount of MC fans. Until last year, most of the times, UNH and Maine fans outnumbered the MC fans 5-1 at our home games.

Coach D is doing a great job. Let's be happy that we have a better team and continue to support them without making all sorts of outlandish comments because guess what, it's laughable. BC and BU fans can make outlandish comments because they have national championships to back up their comments with.

Leave a comment:

• Hokydad
    replied

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
    No idea what this means
    It is a long story. Dennehy played for York, was Cahoon's asst for years. Cahoon is very close obviously with Parker, on and on. Hockey East is the ultimate good old boys coaching network. There is a reason why MD got the job in the firts place and why the HC's of several schools backed off on the "demand a new rink or else" talk.

MC has always been disfunctional in how they do things, even MD's hiring had a huge splitting result on alumni. They hired the coach before the AD, which is unheard of. By hiring MD over 3 or 4 ex MC players, half the alum, incluidng the two who could have built a new rink walked and have never come back.

It always has been a soap opera over there. TO MD's credit he stays above it and only focusses on what he can control

Leave a comment:

• J.D.
    replied

Originally posted by Hokydad View Post
    The only reason they dont take more crap is because of MD and his relationship with York, Cahoon etc.

They look the other way
    No idea what this means

Leave a comment:

• Hokydad
    replied

one problem. Those seats are a small section and most are not sold.

The vast majority are still bleachers...

I love going there and standing on the glass and watching a game

Keep in mind, we are not in the 60's and the MC rink is exactly as billed, a glorified MDC rink, not a Hockey East rink. The issue I have with it is that the administration does zero to support the team. Cuts MD's budget every time he turns sideways and has flopped eevrytime they have talked about a new rink. They had a major sponsor in pace a couple years ago to build a double shet, which would have allowed for a womens program. Backstabbing and politics ruined it and again, the players and students suffer.

The only reason they dont take more crap is because of MD and his relationship with York, Cahoon etc.

They look the other way

Leave a comment:

• Gainzo
    replied

Originally posted by boblav1 View Post
    Reserved chair back seats in the renovated Lawler Arena to all 16 home games will begin at $240 for adults and $160 for youths and seniors. Chair back season tickets allow season ticket purchasers to save up to $80 compared to single game pricing and also guarantees ticketholders a premium reserved seat location for every game.
    According to simple mathematics that means that a single game ticket would cost $25. I understand that Merrimack needs to pay for the renovations but charging $20 for a season ticket and $25 for a single game ticket is not cool.

Lowell is renovating Tsongas for the upcoming season and have come up with many low price ticket plans.

I wonder if Merrimack will offer 2 tickets for $10 like they did last season for a bunch of games?

Leave a comment:

• WarriorDJ
    replied

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
    Being a big team is interesting, but as BC has shown...size doesn't mean everything in the college game.
    Point well taken J.D. This year with the college hockey rule changes, it could actually work against the Warriors and for the Eagles:

As per USCHO: "Contact to the head will result in a major penalty and either a game misconduct or game disqualification under proposals by the NCAA Ice Hockey Rules Committee."

Especially on the defensive side, Merrimack has the twin pillars 6'5" Kyle Bigos and 6'4" Adam Ross. They could be penalized multiple times next year just because a lateral shove with their hands is at face level of many players on teams built like BC.
    Last edited by WarriorDJ; 08-09-2010, 03:42 PM.

Leave a comment:

• J.D.
    replied

Don't disagree with that. A more recent example is Nick Petrecki.

2008-2009 in NCAA Hockey: 35 games and 161 PIMs

2009-2010 in AHL: 65 games and 106 PIMs

30 more games at the pro level...55 fewer PIMs

That's not a coincidence.

Leave a comment:

• Salvo1017
    replied

Some great points here about size. BC has certainly shown that speed can very well trump size in the college game. That is in part due to the reffing in college hockey and in HE in particular. Take Kyle Bigos for instance...there were so many roughing calls called on him but quite honestly, and I think Merrimack and opposing fans would agree with me here, the calls were made simply because the opposing player was so small and took the hit rather roughly. (Bryan Boyle for BC comes to mind here...he had a lot of similar issues). If the reffs open up a bit and let the teams play more you might see the size of a team mattering a bit more.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X