• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Howitz-ah
    replied
    Re: Merrimack Offseason thread - preseason rank 10th again? I think not

Originally posted by Salvo1017 View Post
    our home record speaks for its self.
    Easy there. If you look at their league play at home during the 5 seasons prior to last year, they ring in at 11-45-10.

The 'Mack has one season without a terribly dismal home ice record, and suddenly Lawler has some crazy mystique? Hardly.

They have a few special players, and most of them were underclassmen. Underclassmen tend to feel more confident at home, so they brought their A game while veteran teams looked past a perrenial cellar dweller. I'm not making excuses, or discrediting their accomplishments. Some of those wins were extremely impressive and legit. But let's not jump to the conclusion that the Warriors will enjoy the same home-ice record just because of what they achieved last year.

Don't you think teams will bring their focus when they play them now? It already started to show mid season. After the 6-0 start.... They won 5 of their last 10 home games in regulation. Sure, it was better than past performances, but still, it was nothing most strong programs would write to their families about...

Leave a comment:

• Salvo1017
    replied

haha just found this on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhemm...eature=related

Leave a comment:

• WarriorDJ
    replied

Seeing him on the point on the PP might be an interesting idea
    He has been used there on a limited basis over the past two years, but I still think our top PP pairing would be Stollery/Bigos. What I would love to see is a pairing of Ellis and Demers on the 2nd PP unit. IDK how likely that is, but that would be a deadly combination for any shot blocker...

Case in point: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9I2frkX7l4

Leave a comment:

• theprofromdover
    replied

Originally posted by irishfan85 View Post
    Emotions ran high at the time, but I can't imagine anyone in their right mind still believes it was anything but an accidental hockey play.
    Machnik's broadcast partner got called out calling into WEEI to blast Eaves. He didn't identify himself as a Merrimack AD employee. Someone fially got him to admit he worked with/for the program. He thought Eaves should be prosecuted.

Leave a comment:

• Salvo1017
    replied

Seeing him on the point on the PP might be an interesting idea

Leave a comment:

• WarriorDJ
    replied

Another player I'd like to see more of is Simon Demers...that kid has a canon of a slap shot
    Demers TOI will be an interesting decision this year. If you take a look at the breakdown:

Seniors
    D Adam Ross
    D Fraser Allan

Juniors
    D Karl Stollery
    D Simon Demers

Sophomores
    D Kyle Bigos

Freshman
    D Jordan Heywood
    D Brendan Ellis
    D Tom McCarthy

In my eyes, Ross, Allan, Stollery and Bigos are already ahead of him on the depth chart. His playing time will be dictated by what Heywood, Ellis and McCarthy show in early practices and games. If he can prove himself in practices and game action, he could see an increased role this year, especially in situations that put his shot to good use (i.e. PP).

Leave a comment:

• Salvo1017
    replied

Originally posted by boblav1 View Post
    I believe Mike Machnik is involved with the program again. He did their radio broadcasts last season.
    Nice math, and yes Mike does call the games on the radio broadcasts

Leave a comment:

• boblav1
    replied

Originally posted by Carmine Scarpaglia View Post
    Let's give the Merrimack administration a pat on the back for at least getting one thing right... kicking Mike Machnik to the curb.
    I believe Mike Machnik is involved with the program again. He did their radio broadcasts last season.

Leave a comment:

• boblav1
    replied

Originally posted by Gainzo View Post
    According to simple mathematics that means that a single game ticket would cost $25. I understand that Merrimack needs to pay for the renovations but charging $20 for a season ticket and $25 for a single game ticket is not cool.
    I believe it would be $20.00 at the door and $15.00 for a season ticket holder.

If a season ticket costs $240.00 for 16 games, that would be $15.00 per game ($240/16= $15). If your savings is $80.00, that's a $5.00 savings per game ($80/16= $5 per game).

Leave a comment:

• J.D.
    replied

Originally posted by irishfan85 View Post
    Emotions ran high at the time, but I can't imagine anyone in their right mind still believes it was anything but an accidental hockey play.
    You would have been surprised at the number of idiots/a-holes on here at the time that happened. I bet there are still some knuckledraggers out there who feel differently...

Leave a comment:

• Salvo1017
    replied

Another player I'd like to see more of is Simon Demers...that kid has a canon of a slap shot

Leave a comment:

• irishfan85
    replied

What made the BC fans dislike Mike Machnik so much? As a newer follower of the boards, I've heard it had to do with the Eaves incident? Not trying to flame at all, just curious. It must be more than just he disagreed with your views on the incident.

Emotions ran high at the time, but I can't imagine anyone in their right mind still believes it was anything but an accidental hockey play. I know there are lots of players who make a living being an instigator (not saying that's Eaves), but even the baddest of the bad NHL tough guys don't usually wish personal harm on an opponent.

Leave a comment:

• ChiefWahoo
    replied

Originally posted by Hokydad View Post
    one problem. Those seats are a small section and most are not sold.

The vast majority are still bleachers...
    The bleachers are being removed. There will be seat backs on the entire home side at the beginning of the season. The bleachers on the visitors side will be replaced with seat backs during the winter break. There are some new bleachers being installed at one end of the ice as a new student section.

Leave a comment:

• theprofromdover
    replied

Originally posted by Carmine Scarpaglia View Post
    Let's give the Merrimack administration a pat on the back for at least getting one thing right... kicking Mike Machnik to the curb.
    The sanctimonious prig himself!

Leave a comment:

• WarriorDJ
    replied

Originally posted by FiveHole12 View Post
    I rarely see this player's name mentioned in any MC threads, but the one frosh last season that impressed me as much as any was Brodhag. That kid's a player.
    Good call FiveHole...Brodhag scored a number of big goals for Merrimack last year, it was really fun to watch him play. His offensive game plan is very easy: go to the net, clean up the loose pucks. Dennehy mentioned in postgame podcasts that Merrimack recruited him for that very purpose. Brodhag was tough as nails last year, because he took a number of chops, hacks and shoves in front of the net - but he produced as a rookie.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X