Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Excellent Interview with Don Lucia

Originally posted by HarleyMC View Post
    You're most likely referring to what is called an ethnographic qualitative research design, which regarding this research topic I would not recommend because of the potential for the Hawthorne effect, and internal bias through subject researcher transference.

You're hypothesizing regarding a particular psychosocio-cultural trend that you have a personal viewpoint on. Engaging in appropriate research on the topic could disprove your hypothesis or potentially provide you with a valid theoretical construct to substantiate your argument. But you'd have to lay aside your present bias first in order to validate your research.
    No, what I am suggesting is that research on this topic is not going to prove or disprove a thing. I question how you would operationalize any sort of study in order to reach empirical data that proves anything about these kids' decision making process or attitude; especially in a manner in which it can be generally applied to all, or even most, Minnesota hockey players. Actually I withdraw my question, because I'm sure you will write an essay about how you would do just that And I just can't do that to my fellow posters
    Maybe if you had access to much more than any of us do, you could develop a methodology that would yield some greater insight. But none of us have the tools and/or access to do so.

Telling others they shouldn't speculate about the cause of MN's hockey troubles without giving due diligence to qualitative research on the topic is akin to saying that no one should speculate.
    Last edited by Stauber1; 08-05-2010, 06:20 PM.

Comment

Something still doesn't sit well with me with the Nick Leddy signing.

Nick Leddy has almost no chance of playing for the Blackhawks this next season and will likely spend the entire season in the AHL where his first year contract is $67,500.

So basically he must consider a $67,500 job with the Rockford IceHogs next year a better deal than playing for the gophers another season.

http://www.dailyherald.com/story/?id=397017

The Star-Tribune reported the three-year deal would be worth $2.7 million, and Leddy would make $900,000 with bonuses if he makes the Blackhawks, and $67,500 if he plays for the Rockford IceHogs, their AHL affiliate.
      "For me, college hockey was obviously the best step I could have taken to get to the next level." - Jonathan Toews, North Dakota/Chicago Blackhawks

Comment

Originally posted by SoCalSiouxFan View Post

Nick Leddy has almost no chance of playing for the Blackhawks this next season and will likely spend the entire season in the AHL where his first year contract is $67,500.

So basically he must consider a $67,500 job with the Rockford IceHogs next year a better deal than playing for the gophers another season.

Yes he took the money option instead of the college route unfortunately it's not that uncommon anymore. Also IIRC the Blackhawks made it sound like he would have a good chance by the end of the season to be up playing in the NHL. I realize they were probably blowing smoke up his a*ss but to a 19 year old I bet it sounds pretty good.
        Originally posted by CavalryNate
        Disrespecting the Gophers is like disowning your mother the first time you get a girlfriend.
        sigpic

Comment

OK. Just an ordinary Nodak here trying to connect with this whole gopher dream thing, and I think I get it. When I was a little boy, I dreamed I had a garden hose that could cover a whole quarter-section of pasture land. A pasture just riddled with gopher holes. There was just me and this faucet with a mile-long hose connected to it and all these gopher holes. I'd guess a lot of little snotnosed nodak boys had that dream and some of them maybe got to realize it one day.

Nowdays, though, drowning ratty little gophers isn't the end. Nowdays, you just get good training drowning all them gophers before you (hopefully) move on to drowning real Minnesotans.

Do I get this right?

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post
            OK. Just an ordinary Nodak here trying to connect with this whole gopher dream thing, and I think I get it. When I was a little boy, I dreamed I had a garden hose that could cover a whole quarter-section of pasture land. A pasture just riddled with gopher holes. There was just me and this faucet with a mile-long hose connected to it and all these gopher holes. I'd guess a lot of little snotnosed nodak boys had that dream and some of them maybe got to realize it one day.

Nowdays, though, drowning ratty little gophers isn't the end. Nowdays, you just get good training drowning all them gophers before you (hopefully) move on to drowning real Minnesotans.

Do I get this right?
            Killling them Injuns wasn't enough. They wanted the Injuns' land, too.
            Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
            Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Stauber1 View Post
              No, what I am suggesting is that research on this topic is not going to prove or disprove a thing. I question how you would operationalize any sort of study in order to reach empirical data that proves anything about these kids' decision making process or attitude; especially in a manner in which it can be generally applied to all, or even most, Minnesota hockey players. Actually I withdraw my question, because I'm sure you will write an essay about how you would do just that And I just can't do that to my fellow posters
              Maybe if you had access to much more than any of us do, you could develop a methodology that would yield some greater insight. But none of us have the tools and/or access to do so.

Telling others they shouldn't speculate about the cause of MN's hockey troubles without giving due diligence to qualitative research on the topic is akin to saying that no one should speculate.
              So you're actually saying it's impossible to prove? Are you sure you want to embarrass yourself and go down that road, my friend? This is most likely a phenomenological or grounded theory qualitative approach with axiological presuppositions and specific sampling techniques that would generate more than sufficient internal and external validity and inferential data on the topic. It's entirely doable and not a difficult study at all...just time consuming in my opinion.

As I said to PS, I've already provided a road map. But judging from your response....Stauber buddy, you're out of your league on this one...trust me and please don't be too defensive. I'm just engaging in a little intellectual stimuli...so no harm done.

I have no interest in pretentiously pontificating on research methodology and boring everyone to tears (except my friend Was of course). This is an opinion board and obviously speculation flourishes. I've been around here long enough to understand the drill. But when a capacious opinion is made and insistently presented as fact, it's in the best interests of posters to know whether it is actually true or not. PS and I have been down this road before and it most likely won't be the last time.

Originally posted by wasmania View Post
              If I ask you clarify will you do it in 50 words or less?
              No problem, but you're smarter than I am buddy. I'm sure you can figure it out.
              Last edited by HarleyMC; 08-05-2010, 11:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SCSU Euro View Post
                So you suck at math as much as you suck at making points. Sounds like you got a lot going for ya there.
                Originally posted by goldy_331 View Post
                Is Queiona cg_siouxfan's mom? It would explain so much.
                Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                That's a mighty big word you used. What a big boy you are! Now run along and let the adults talk.
                Originally posted by Happy View Post
                Are you that sham-wow guy, cause you sure seem to be to the rest of us?

Like a lake
                the heart must be calm and quiet
                having great depth beneath it.

The sage rules with compassion,
                and his words need to be trusted.

The sage needs to know like water
                how to flow around the blocks
                and how to find the way through without violence.

Like water, the sage should wait
                for the moment to ripen and be right:

water, you know, never fights

it flows around
                without harm.

Comment

Originally posted by cg_siouxfan View Post
                  It's interesting how these informative stories about the struggles of being an NCAA Division I men's hockey coach always come out after the Gophers lose a player. You didn't have a similar outcry from Dave Hakstol when David Toews left the Sioux this summer. Is it because the Sioux coaching staff did a better job of managing their team, so it wasn't a devastating loss? BC and BU fans have made the same argument about their teams ability to have success.

It's really too bad most of you people can't accept that people have different opinions and there are two sides to every situation.
                  Did you see the article on Chay Genoway wow what a piece of propoganda Im sure the whole thing was written just to put UND on a pedestal it has to be I mean other teams lose players to injury this whole thing is a conspiracy I tell you !

Comment

Originally posted by Turk 77 View Post
                    Did you see the article on Chay Genoway wow what a piece of propoganda Im sure the whole thing was written just to put UND on a pedestal it has to be I mean other teams lose players to injury this whole thing is a conspiracy I tell you !
                    One article is a guy talking about an injury, the other article stinks of a guy explaining himself, after years of poor job performance.

If you can't tell the difference, that's your problem.

Comment

One article is a guy talking about an injury, the other article stinks of a guy explaining himself, after years of poor job performance.

If you can't tell the difference, that's your problem.
                      His teams have performed poorly the last few year that doesnt necessarily equate into a bad job by the coach. At what point do players have to assume some responsiblity for thier own performance ? Under your logic the Siouxs annual choke in the post season is all Hakstols fault and I dont buy that either

Comment

the other article stinks of a guy explaining himself, after years of poor job performance.
                        You must have read a different article then. The one I read sounds more like a coach giving a candid view into what's been going on with the Gopher program lately and College Hockey in general.
                        Originally posted by CavalryNate
                        Disrespecting the Gophers is like disowning your mother the first time you get a girlfriend.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Driftryder View Post
                          You must have read a different article then. The one I read sounds more like a coach giving a candid view into what's been going on with the Gopher program lately and College Hockey in general.
                          BINGO ! Thank you !

Comment

Originally posted by Turk 77 View Post
                            His teams have performed poorly the last few year that doesnt necessarily equate into a bad job by the coach. At what point do players have to assume some responsiblity for thier own performance ? Under your logic the Siouxs annual choke in the post season is all Hakstols fault and I dont buy that either
                            We'll have to agree to disagree.

Comment

Originally posted by SoCalSiouxFan View Post

You know there is a thing called a signing bonus right? I'm sure his income taxes will say he made more than $67,500 gross for 2010.
                              Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

[QUOTE=cg_siouxfan;4834533]One article is a guy talking about an injury, the other article stinks of a guy explaining himself, after years of poor job performance.

Wow, thanks for clearing that up. You are a true scholar.

Comment

Working...
                                X