X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Excellent Interview with Don Lucia

Originally posted by cg_siouxfan View Post
    BS.

I've added more substantive discussion to this thread than half the Gopher posters have. Sorry I'm not tiptoeing around all these babies and their egos.
    {sigh}
    "The man who smiles when something has gone wrong just thought of someone to blame it on." Robert Bloch
    Discontinued Program:http://s.ecrater.com/stores/70443/48...70e_70443n.jpg
    The goofs might suck, but Happy swallows.
    Brooks told me he added something to the effect that, “if you want to go into business, go to Harvard; if you want to be a hockey player, go to North Dakota...”

Comment

Originally posted by HarleyMC View Post
      Almost every MN born recruit (>90%) that I've researched over recent years has verbally indicated to media sources that it's been his lifelong dream to play for the Gophers. That hasn't changed much and stating that playing for the Gophers is now only a "stepping stone" to the pros contradicts their often enthusiastic admission. Secondly, I applaud Don Lucia's openness and coaching emphasis in stating that the University of Minnesota is NOT a "farm team" for the NHL. I also concur with Lucia's emphasis on education and obtaining a college degree as a vital component of his vision and philosophy for student-athletes at the University of Minnesota. This operative vision negatively correlates with the perspective that the UMN is only a "stepping stone" to the pros. In my view, it is not outdated or obsolete simply because the University of Minnesota is in the education business and it must both in practice and in theory, uphold this timeless priority regardless of the prevailing trends and corporate pathologies of our self induced sports entertainment culture.

Furthermore, more research (either qualitative or mixed methodology would be effective) is needed to longitudinally determine with sufficient validity and reliability: 1) at what specific age young Minnesota hockey players begin to speculate and "dream" about playing for the Gophers?, 2) whether there are negative correlations with becoming a pro hockey player and maintaining that "dream"?, 3) what degree of influence do external sources have in positively or negatively mediating that "dream"?, and 4) do professional attributions represent a causal relationship of decline in the psychocultural component of that "dream" once it is fulfilled?

I'm not aware of any such extant research, but based on iteration of the above phenomena consistently demonstrated by recent Gopher players, it appears the "dream" is still quite active in the minds of young hockey players throughout the State. However, as I stated previously the CBA has changed the landscape of all of college hockey, making it more possible for players to make the jump to pro hockey earlier in their college career should they stay healthy and perform well. But to accurately determine the positive or negative correlations these opportunities have served in potentially changing the mindset of young Minnesota hockey players who aspire to play for the Gophers requires valid research data or it's simply an opinion without any basis in fact.

Here's one future recruit's (Ben Marshall) recent comment. Many others playing for the Gophers have made similar remarks:

Lastly, as Don Lucia stated in his interview Minnesota and Michigan have been feeder programs for the NHL for years. I suspect UND may possibly see more defections in the very near future with NHL players such as Parise and Toews representing the quality of the UND hockey program as well. It would be interesting to research how much actual influence Dave Hakstol has in encouraging/persuading his players to stay in school.
      I agree that most players say it is their dream to play for the Gophers and I am sure that is true. That of course doesn't mean that it is not a bigger dream dream to play in the NHL or for the Wild. Maybe part of that dream is that the "U" is jsut a stepping stone to the show? Just a thought.
      I am Tommyboy, and I approve this message.

In Bob we Trust!

The Herb Brooks National Hockey Center..... I wonder who originally came up with that.

Comment

Originally posted by scsutommyboy View Post
        I agree that most players say it is their dream to play for the Gophers and I am sure that is true. That of course doesn't mean that it is not a bigger dream dream to play in the NHL or for the Wild. Maybe part of that dream is that the "U" is jsut a stepping stone to the show? Just a thought.
        This is exactly my previous point.

Comment

Originally posted by cg_siouxfan View Post
          I've added more substantive discussion to this thread than half the Gopher posters have.
          So you suck at math as much as you suck at making points. Sounds like you got a lot going for ya there.
          tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

Originally posted by Puck Swami View Post
            This is exactly my previous point.
            Sorry I didn't read your post..
            I am Tommyboy, and I approve this message.

In Bob we Trust!

The Herb Brooks National Hockey Center..... I wonder who originally came up with that.

Comment

Originally posted by scsutommyboy View Post
              Sorry I didn't read your post..
              It's okay. Great men tend to think alike.

Comment

Every Minnesota player is going to say it was their dream to play there. Why wouldn't they say that? It's just not always the primary dream anymore....
                Not the "primary" dream among which recruits and what percentage PS? That hasn't been empirically proven. Saying that UMN is only a "stepping stone" is a little too pandemic PS.

Now I'm as interested to look at the findings as much as you are. That's why above, I provided you with a research design, research question and subquestions suitable for a doctoral thesis if you need one to prove your point. All you have to do is fill it in with an appropriate methodology (Grounded theory might also work). Then write that book and buy that Ferrari. Let me know what you come up with.

Originally posted by Stauber1 View Post
                Harley, you can do all the qualitative research you want, but I think some good old fashioned observational studying would prove to be just as if not more informative.
                You're most likely referring to what is called an ethnographic qualitative research design, which regarding this research topic I would not recommend because of the potential for the Hawthorne effect, and internal bias through subject researcher transference.

You're hypothesizing regarding a particular psychosocio-cultural trend that you have a personal viewpoint on. Engaging in appropriate research on the topic could disprove your hypothesis or potentially provide you with a valid theoretical construct to substantiate your argument. But you'd have to lay aside your present bias first in order to validate your research.

Seth Helgeson:

The 18-year-old defenseman, currently playing with the United States Hockey League’s Sioux City Musketeers, won a gold medal playing for Team USA in the World Junior A Challenge Sunday in Camrose, Alberta. And today, Helgeson will sign his national letter of intent to join the University of Minnesota men’s hockey team in 2009.

The latter was a dream come true.

“It was every Friday and Saturday night looking forward to watching Gopher hockey games on cable growing up,” Helgeson said. “Growing up in Minnesota, that’s what everyone wants to do: Play hockey and play for the Gophers.”
                http://www.faribault.com/news.php?viewStory=38801

Comment

Originally posted by Dirty View Post
                  My posts are rational, aren't they? Why else would Wodon get his knickers in such a twist over people's criticism of The Don? It has to be a crush. Adam is simply infatuated with Lucia like a 12 year old schoolgirl with Twilight. There really is no other explanation.
                  This is beautiful...In Dirty's own words from a previous post of his.

Expecting your average Sioux fan to understand compound fractions is asking a bit much. Expecting them to understand all the things you mentioned is downright insane.

Brett Hextall Scale of Awesomeness
                  Chay Genoway Returning: 9.97

Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
                  when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)

Updated: March 14 - Why, I haven't seen a beating like that since....

Comment

This has nothing to do with hockey but it's really too good not to share:

http://www.vvdailypress.com/news/wom...ged-fight.html
                    "The man who smiles when something has gone wrong just thought of someone to blame it on." Robert Bloch
                    Brooks told me he added something to the effect that, “if you want to go into business, go to Harvard; if you want to be a hockey player, go to North Dakota...”

Comment

Originally posted by cross cheque View Post

Queiona is dirty's real name, after all.
                      XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX

The reason for the talent in the west? Because MN didn't rely on Canada.

Originally posted by MN Pond Hockey
                      Menards could have sold a lot of rope

this morning in Grand Forks if North Dakota had trees.

Comment

Originally posted by cross cheque View Post

Is Queiona cg_siouxfan's mom? It would explain so much.

Comment

Originally posted by HarleyMC View Post
                          Actually I am familiar with Occam's razor. It's entertaining Was how you just demonstrated you're a practicing anti-razor. Although your wrong again, it was conceptionally and theoretically well conceived.
                          If I ask you clarify will you do it in 50 words or less?

Comment

Originally posted by Happy View Post
                            Queiona is dirty's real name, after all.
                            Originally posted by goldy_331 View Post
                            Is Queiona cg_siouxfan's mom? It would explain so much.
                            I didn't think you guys would figure that out so fast, and they are guilty as charged. The missing piece of the puzzle is that Happy was on stage getting his Kinder-diploma during the ruckus laying on the ground, crying, and pounding the ground with his fists.

Comment

Originally posted by Bronzebacks View Post

Expecting your average Sioux fan to understand compound fractions is asking a bit much. Expecting them to understand all the things you mentioned is downright insane.

Brett Hextall Scale of Awesomeness
                              Chay Genoway Returning: 9.97

when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)

Updated: March 14 - Why, I haven't seen a beating like that since....
                              Expecting Bronzebacks to be able to use the quote button is also downright insane.
                              Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

It's okay. Great men tend to think alike.
                                Yeah, but in tommyboy's case I think the one about blind squirrels and nuts is more accurate.

Originally posted by Bronzebacks View Post

Somebody needs their sarcasm meter fixed...
                                Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
                                Originally posted by Quizmire
                                mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
                                MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
                                MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
                                I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

Working...
                                X